PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope with the Bills' season tanking?

TigerJ
12-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Like a lot of fans, I had hopes that the playoff drought was going to end this season. The Bills actually seemed like they were on a role. Then the losses started. The rist one against Arizona wasn't so bad. We knew the Bills weren't going to run the table. They would come back. Then came the three loses to division opponents and now they're 6-6 with only the slimest chance of making the playoffs even if they win out, which we all know isn't going to happen.

So, how do you cope with the inexcuseable losses to teams llike San Francisco? I can't listen to radio post mortems on games like that. I can't even post here on the game for 24 hours or so. I don't need Vic Carucci to tell me they sucked. I watched some of the Sunday night game after the Bills' loss, but I had to take a full day to basically not think about the Buffalo Bills. I've already reconciled myself to the playoff drought going another year. I'm not thinking too much about coaching issues. There's enough time to deal with that in January and beyond.

What do y'all do to cope when the Bills poop their pants like they did on Sunday?

Philagape
12-01-2008, 07:02 PM
My primary fantasy team's going to the playoffs :dance:

Nighthawk
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
My primary fantasy team's going to the playoffs :dance:

Both of mine made it...so that is something to follow. Also, you almost have to look forward to the Bills making a change. You've got to keep hope alive and hope = Dickey being gone!

ddaryl
12-02-2008, 10:18 AM
For starters you plan a trip to Kauai, which is where I am and was on Sunday... I didn't have to stomach that crap fest...

when I get back I will turn to hard liquour and narcotics and stay as numb as possible.

how else can someone possibly cope with this crap anymore... every year ya think we are about to turn a corner and every year the wheel comes off n the most embarassing way.

I've always been an optomist but this crap is on my last nerve too

OpIv37
12-02-2008, 10:24 AM
What do y'all do to cope when the Bills poop their pants like they did on Sunday?

First, after any loss, I avoid all sports media except this site and Sabres games until at least Wed, when they start talking about the upcoming week's games instead of the past games.

Second, once the Bills are officially out of it (or realistically out of it, if not officially, like right now), I start rooting for the Patriots to lose.

That's really all I can do. But, every year, the last week of the regular season ends with the Bills out of the playoffs and 9 months to go until they get to try again. And no matter how long it's been since the Bills were eliminated, the day of the last game of the season and the first few days after that just suck ass. There is no preparing for it.

Night Train
12-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Like a lot of fans, I had hopes that the playoff drought was going to end this season. The Bills actually seemed like they were on a role. Then the losses started. The rist one against Arizona wasn't so bad. We knew the Bills weren't going to run the table. They would come back. Then came the three loses to division opponents and now they're 6-6 with only the slimest chance of making the playoffs even if they win out, which we all know isn't going to happen.

So, how do you cope with the inexcuseable losses to teams llike San Francisco? I can't listen to radio post mortems on games like that. I can't even post here on the game for 24 hours or so. I don't need Vic Carucci to tell me they sucked. I watched some of the Sunday night game after the Bills' loss, but I had to take a full day to basically not think about the Buffalo Bills. I've already reconciled myself to the playoff drought going another year. I'm not thinking too much about coaching issues. There's enough time to deal with that in January and beyond.

I suddenly remember that in my 40+ years of following them, they've done this about 33 seasons. :poop:

I'm actually shocked when they do make the post season.

THATHURMANATOR
12-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't cope I just bottle it up and will someday explode.

mybills
12-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I got over already by refusing to let that team anger me any more.

It also helps when you avoid the outside world for a while..thankfully, I have the week off.

Ebenezer
12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I remember that it's a game played by others and that it has no direct affect on the person I am or my career.

Jan Reimers
12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm considering a lobotomy, or shock treatments at the very least. You simply can't cope with this stuff year after year, decade after decade.

don137
12-02-2008, 10:37 AM
It frustrates me since I know it will be another year of broken dreams. I don't as bothered as I did years ago. After starting 4-0 I have to admit I was thinking their is no chance they will miss the playoffs. The Bills proved me wrong again.

OpIv37
12-02-2008, 10:44 AM
It frustrates me since I know it will be another year of broken dreams. I don't as bothered as I did years ago. After starting 4-0 I have to admit I was thinking their is no chance they will miss the playoffs. The Bills proved me wrong again.

And it's worse than just missing the playoffs.

I've said this before but I'm going to say it again anyway.

Of course we want the Bills to go 19-0 and win the whole thing every season, but that's simply unrealistic. My realistic hope every year is that the Bills are good enough that every game counts. I absolutely HATE seasons where we are realistically eliminated in mid-November and officially eliminated in late November or early December, so the last 4 games essentially become training camp for the next season.

When we started 4-0, I was skeptical because we beat such crappy competition, but I figured the Bills had enough of a cushion that they'd at least be able to take it down to the wire and we'd get a meaningful game against NE in week 17 (especially with Brady out). But, once again the Bills pulled an unBillievable choke job and now we're on the verge of 3-4 wasted games at the end of the season YET AGAIN. The end of 2004 sucked but at least we had a really fun run for 8 weeks or so. Here we are at the end of 2008, and it's nothing but more consolation games.

Jan Reimers
12-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Just proves one thing: It sucks big time to be a Bills' fan. We are definitely in the same boat as fans of the Bengals, Browns and Lions.

Mad Bomber
12-02-2008, 10:52 AM
My fantasy team squeaked into the playoffs, so I'll be following my fantasy players.

Jan Reimers
12-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Actually, the Bills are my fantasy team. But the fantasy of their winning and going to the playoffs simply turns into a nightmare every year.

justasportsfan
12-02-2008, 10:58 AM
just think of the 4 sb losses and the MCM and it doesn't hurt as bad. At least this time we're losing hope mid-season.

DraftBoy
12-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I pull out my notebook and turn on my DVD player and start watching the games from Saturday that I missed. And just think, its almost April...

Tatonka
12-02-2008, 11:23 AM
i gamble on football and i have 3 fantasy teams ($150, $100, and $50 entry fees) and i made the playoffs, somehow, in all of them.. so i will have plenty of reason to watch and cheer...

but is not the same as the bills having a chance. i remember being just depressed during the superbowl years after they lost.. i think to a certain extent i have grown pretty numb to it.. like EB said.. i have a wife and kid and a job and hockey that requires much more attention.. the bills sucking ass doesnt effect those in any way, so he only choice is to get over it, and handle my own stuff..

but it does always suck. no matter what you say or how you rationalize it.

thing is.. it sucks for 31 teams every year.

BAM
12-02-2008, 11:32 AM
**** my wife.

gr8slayer
12-02-2008, 11:36 AM
How did I cope? I stopped putting money in Wilson's pockets and started giving it to Jerrah.

JD
12-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I just drink heavily

MikeInRoch
12-02-2008, 11:48 AM
**** my wife.

That's what I do too.

OpIv37
12-02-2008, 11:49 AM
That's what I do too.

your wife or BAM's wife?

MikeInRoch
12-02-2008, 11:59 AM
your wife or BAM's wife?

Both.

Tatonka
12-02-2008, 12:00 PM
**** my wife.

me too!

:couch:

Tatonka
12-02-2008, 12:01 PM
damn.. mike beat me to it.

MikeInRoch
12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Apparently she gets around...

Jeff1220
12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I ignore football for pretty much most of Sunday after most losses.
Since I live in Baltimore and don't have Sunday ticket, the Bills' games aren't televised here so, after this loss, I'll pretty much stop going out of my way to see the games. Every Sunday, I scramble to get the streaming video up, or get to a bar or friend's house where the game is available. No more. I will hang w/my family, maybe go for a nice long run, check scores once in a while, but I won't go out of my way to watch anymore games this season...unless a playoff possibility miraculously creeps up again. It's not worth the bad mood it'll put me in.

BillsWin
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
I drink. and drink. and drink. and drink, and drink. and drink somemore. oh! sometimes, I drink again.

dbergan
12-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Well..Im a fins fan and so can only say what I went through last year..which, no Bills fan can relate to.

I cried....and drank..lots. I cried when we lost (every week) and cried w/ joy when we won ONE FARKING GAME IN OVERTIME and then cried again when I watched the Pats get humbled in the SB.

Sooo...what do I do when every year my team sucks? I drink, wait for the off season and dream again...probably what you guys do as well..

jamze132
12-03-2008, 04:31 AM
I remember that it's a game played by others and that it has no direct affect on the person I am or my career.
You're lucky.

Now that our season is pretty much in the tank, I look forward to Spring Training!

GO METS! (yeah, i cheer for another loser team)