PDA

View Full Version : JETS: News of the day- 5/5

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:16 AM
By Ken Berger
STAFF WRITER

May 5, 2003

As the Jets wrapped up a three-day minicamp for rookies and selected veterans yesterday, coach Herman Edwards raved that it might have been the best camp since he's been here.

What does it all mean? Here are some observations about what transpired over those three days, as well as some questions that have yet to be answered.

What we know:

Dewayne Robertson looks like a pro. The No. 1 draft pick handled the media crush the same way he handled everything during the weekend: with ease.

"All he says is, 'Yes sir, no sir,' and he practices hard," Edwards said. The early read on Robertson is that he's all business.

MORE (http://www2.bostonherald.com/sport/patriots/pats05052003.htm)

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:17 AM
May 5, 2003 -- C.W. Post running back / kick returner Ian Smart can't wait for training camp. The walk-on who earned a free agent contract opened eyes at the Jets' minicamp that ended yesterday.
"I was really impressed with his smoothness, to be able to make cuts," Chad Pennington said. "A lot of backs can't make a one-step cut; they have to stutter their feet, and he does a really good job of making those downhill cuts and reading blocks, and he's really smooth and shifty. He's got a chance; he's doing a good job."

"Real smooth, real fluid," Vinny Testaverde said. "[He] seemed to pick up things really good, which you're really looking for in a minicamp. We'll see when we put the pads on, that's really the true test."

Smart, who grew up in North Babylon, L.I., and used to watch the Jets' summer practice, has a chance to become a 5-71/2, 192-pound cult hero. "I'm gonna have a lot of support," Smart said.

MORE (http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/57355.htm)

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:18 AM
BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- It's only one minicamp, but the Jets may have found themselves another good, young quarterback.

Last season, Chad Pennington made a seamless transition as veteran Vinny Testaverde's backup to the top guy, and now it seems rookie Brooks Bollinger might be ready to step into the backup job as early as 2004 -- if his performance over the weekend is any indication.

Bollinger, a sixth-round pick from Wisconsin, looked like he was made for the West Coast offense, making his reads and delivering the ball crisply. And he had surprising zip on his deep throws, especially since a lack of arm strength was one of the knocks on him coming out of college.

"My whole thing is learning and improving. That's my goal for now," Bollinger said yesterday at the conclusion of the three-day minicamp at Hofstra University. "I think I did that this weekend so I'm happy with the way it went."

Bollinger, who was often instructed to run during his college career if his first passing option was covered, said he welcomes the change the West Coast offense brings.

MORE (http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1052115236305330.xml)

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Westhoff rebuilding after raids

By RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Mike Westhoff

Ex-K.C. punter Dan Stryzinski is kicking up a storm with Jets.

The Jets' vaunted special teams, raided by the Redskins in free agency, are starting to regain their swagger. Coach Mike Westhoff, who never lost his, said yesterday he expects to remain among the NFL's elite despite changes and uncertainty at three marquee positions - placekicker, punter and kickoff returner.
"I don't know if we were the best in the league last year, but we were definitely in the argument - and I expect to be there again," Westhoff said.

The veteran coach was encouraged by what he saw of the rookies and selected veterans in the Jets' three-day minicamp, which concluded yesterday at Hofstra. Perhaps the most impressive player was punter Dan Stryzinski, who distanced himself from a woeful performance last season with the Chiefs.

Stryzinski finished 32nd in net average (31.2 yards), causing many to raise their eyebrows when the Jets signed him to a one-year, $780,000 contract ($450,000 guaranteed) after cutting Matt Turk. Westhoff said 2002 was an aberration for Stryzinski, who is known as a directional punter with good hang time. Yesterday, he was booming punts.

"He knows how to play the wind," Westhoff said. "He'll get the ball up high, let it blow to one side and let the wind help his hang time. I think that's a weapon."

MORE (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/80818p-74133c.html)

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 09:21 AM
May 5, 2003 -- Chad Pennington drops back to gush.
"Now you're just gonna see a fluent, reacting, great athlete out there instead of one that's thinking. When he's just reacting, I mean, he can't be stopped. He's so smooth out of his cuts, his definition on his cuts . . . he plays at a different level of speed than anybody else does on the field. You saw a little bit of that with his punt-return ability last year. Now we want to see some of that at the receiver position."

Vinny Testaverde drops back to gush.

"He's light years ahead of where he was even last year, at the end of the year. We all know how fast he is, but he's just running so smooth right now, coming out of breaks nice . . . he's gonna be a tremendous player for us this year. I feel like he's gonna have a big year. And I know he's ready to have a big year, too. He wants it as much as anybody wants it for him."

MORE (http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/57358.htm)

Gunzlingr
05-05-2003, 02:53 PM
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Curtis Conway quickly goes through the list of quarterbacks he's played with throughout his 11-year career.

The names are easy to remember. He's had a different player throwing him the ball every season.

"There's Jim Harbaugh. Steve Walsh. Erik Kramer," Conway said, then listed seven others, including first-round flops Rick Mirer and Ryan Leaf.

But Conway is in a different situation after signing with the Jets in the offseason. Chad Pennington is entrenched as the starter, giving Conway the opportunity to keep building chemistry with his quarterback.

And he enters at a good time. The Jets lost top receiver Laveranues Coles to the Redskins during free agency, giving Conway an opening to step right in.

"We have a natural feel for each other," Pennington said. "It's pretty amazing considering we don't know each other very well."

Conway has put up consistently good numbers throughout his career with the Bears and Chargers, despite playing with so many different quarterbacks. He has three 1,000-yard seasons, including 1,125 yards and six touchdown receptions in 2001.

more (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20030503/471857.html)

The_Philster
05-05-2003, 07:46 PM
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (May 5, 2003 6:20 p.m. EDT) - The New York Jets signed three rookie free agents Monday - defensive end Lance Gibson, tight end Gabe Reid and wide receiver Michael Oliva.

The Jets also waived wide receivers Lou Fanucchi and Shawn Witten, and tight end Rolando Shuler. ...
more (http://www.sportserver.com/football/nfl/general/story/878991p-6127306c.html)