PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'll start a Josh McDaniels thread...discuss

baalworship
12-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Josh McDaniels as new Bills head coach.

Pros: Young, 32 years old. Runs the opposite side of the ball as Belichick. Has turned a 7th round draft pick that hadn't started a football game since high school into an NFL QB. Understands how to create mismatches in the passing game...will either turn Edwards around or draft someone else. Aggresive as hell...last years Pats that threw for 1,000,000 TD's was as much him as Belichick. Should not cost a lot, so he is actually someone Ralph would look at.

Cons: At 32 is younger than some players. Has never been a head coach in the NFL before....is he Mangini or is he Crennel? All Pats coaches are good at X and O's but some of them have sub-par people skills....

Ickybaluky
12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I think McDaniels is the best OC the Pats have ever had. For all the pub Charlie Weis used to get, I thought he was too cute as a play-caller. McDaniels is a terrific play-caller with a great feel for the game.

McDaniels first job was as a graduate assistant on Nick Saban's coaching staff at Michigan State. He started out with the Patriots as a personnel assistant in the scouting department before moving to coaching as a defensive assistant (breaking down film) for 3 years, helping out with the defensive backs. He then switched to offense as a QB coach (he played WR in college at John Carroll, on the same team as London Fletcher) before also taking on the duties of OC.

How many guys that young have experience as a coordinator, offensive assistant, defensive assistant and in the front office? He may be young, but he has a wide range of experience and must be a pretty organized guy to have Belichick give him the responsibilities he has had in his career. Plus he is a football lifer, the son of one of the most successful High School football coaches in Ohio history.

You never know how a guy will translate from assistant to becoming the head guy, but I would think McDaniels has a lot going for him that most guys his age don't. Some team is going to take a chance on him.

DraftBoy
12-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Falcons tried to grab him last year and he rejected the chance to interview. I dont think he'd want to come to Buffalo either.

madness
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
I personally would love to see Jim Caldwell come here.

RockStar36
12-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I personally would love to see Jim Caldwell come here.

I'm pretty sure he is already locked up in Indy once Dungy is gone.

gr8slayer
12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
He wouldn't go to Buffalo, he turned down two other teams last year.