PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of Losman AND Edwards

THATHURMANATOR
12-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Neither have done crap. I would keep Edwards as a backup. Are there any good Free agent QBs this off season?

gr8slayer
12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I hear that Jeff Garcia may be available. I agree with you though, neither has proven that he is capable of being much of a starting QB. I'd be willing to keep Edwards around a while though, maybe learn under a veteran QB and see what happens in a couple of years.

OpIv37
12-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I pointed this out last year: Read Marv Levy's book. He describes the best way to groom an NFL QB: bring them along slowly, let them learn under a vet for a year or so and play garbage time, put them in when there isn't much pressure. Pretty much the polar opposite of what was done with Edwards.

So, he may be damaged goods. He may never have been good enough in the first place. Either way, I agree with Thurm. Right now, he looks like a back up and nothing more. We need QB help THIS off-season, and I don't mean another rookie that will take 2-3 years to learn.

cocamide
12-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Maybe Edwards isn't the answer, but can this be determined after twenty or so games started?

gr8slayer
12-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Maybe Edwards isn't the answer, but can this be determined after twenty or so games started?
No, it can't be 100% determined. But you can get a pretty damn good idea. There are some technical QB issues that can be fixed via coaching, but Edwards has some issues that are strictly player related and no level of coaching can fix them, he has to fix them himself.

HHURRICANE
12-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I was hoping for better play from Edwards but I'm not concerned....yet.

A veteran is a good thing but I would be shocked if Edwards isn't the starter next year.

THATHURMANATOR
12-03-2008, 04:31 PM
I have seen enough out of him..... (enough as in NOTHING)

Joe Fo Sho
12-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Neither have done crap. I would keep Edwards as a backup. Are there any good Free agent QBs this off season?

Although I can't really see Edwards going anywhere, I've been quietly hoping and praying that McNabb ends up in B-Lo.

Wally The Barber
12-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I will look for better crap next year, lol

X-Era
12-03-2008, 04:56 PM

I cannot disagree with canning both.

However, you do that and you set the team back a minimum of 2 years. Are you 100% convinced that Edwards can never be the guy? If theres any shadow of a doubt, you keep him and add a youngster to compete.

I dont mind the thought of a vet except that it buys you nothing long term. If you were going to do that it ought to be a rule that you also draft one as well.

Its almost like:

If we keep Edwards, we draft a youngster who we think can be a future.

I we let Edwards go, we bring in a vet AND draft a youngster who can be our future.

Keeping Edwards, signing a vet, but not drafting a new future QB is the Losman/Holcomb scenario.

Canning Edwards and only signing a vet is stupid, we have no backup.

Keeping Edwards an only signing a vet buys us one more year until we have to then draft a new future QB if Edwrads fails. It just puts it off one year.

And of course if we keep Edwards and then draft a new future QB, we end up with the Losman/Edwards scenario.

Its a mess, I dont see a good way out. If I were serious about our team and making them better now and for the future, I would trade for a vet that could start AND draft a youngster that could be our future. Having Edwards at that point just give us a backup at the very least. Unfortunately, the Bills have shown they dont have the balls to make such a big move.

Kenny
12-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Though he hasnt shown much, -he might get better.

What left a real sour taste in my mouth are some of the comments he's made about being happy/satisfied with his play, and not willing to take the blame for some of the losses.

I'd be willing to forgive his play being it only his 2nd year and everything, but that **** he's spewed out is nothing short of a loser's mentality.
Crap like that pisses me off, and I completely hate the idea he's our starting QB now.
We really need to address this position in the offseason or in the draft, because we're never going to win with Trent.

X-Era
12-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I pointed this out last year: Read Marv Levy's book. He describes the best way to groom an NFL QB: bring them along slowly, let them learn under a vet for a year or so and play garbage time, put them in when there isn't much pressure. Pretty much the polar opposite of what was done with Edwards.

So, he may be damaged goods. He may never have been good enough in the first place. Either way, I agree with Thurm. Right now, he looks like a back up and nothing more. We need QB help THIS off-season, and I don't mean another rookie that will take 2-3 years to learn.

I hoper that you meant to say: " I dont ONLY mean a rookie who will take 2-3 years to learn"

Do you really want to be the Jets this offseason? Every damn year they will be in the will he retire or wont he mess, and they have NO ONE ready to step up. The day Favre retires, the Jets instantly go back to crap for multiple years... unless they get a new up and comer quick. But if Brett retires this offseason, you can count next year out for the Jets. They did nothing to have a young prospect.

I do NOT want a one year solution.

RockStar36
12-03-2008, 05:17 PM
When I read the first post in this thread Donovan McNabb instantly came to mind. I'm not really into the whole veteran deal 100%, but I do agree Edwards is looking like a bum right now.

Typ0
12-03-2008, 05:28 PM
get garcia and this team is good enough for a deep playoff run....

X-Era
12-03-2008, 05:53 PM
When I read the first post in this thread Donovan McNabb instantly came to mind. I'm not really into the whole veteran deal 100%, but I do agree Edwards is looking like a bum right now.

McNabb is the caliper of vet that we ought to be talking about. Not Culpepper, McNabb.

RockStar36
12-03-2008, 06:50 PM
McNabb is the caliper of vet that we ought to be talking about. Not Culpepper, McNabb.

Uh...what?

X-Era
12-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Uh...what?

Im saying that guys who havent ever gone to or won a SB have no business continuing there mediocrity in Buffalo

Thats a significant difference between Garcia, and Culpepper and McNabb as an example.

DrGraves
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Cassell?

Jeff1220
12-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm more worried about new coaching than anything. I can't think of any veteran QBs available in FA except Warner and Kerry Collins. Of those two, I'd prefer Warner, but both are old and have their own glaring weaknesses. Outside of somehow getting McNabb in here, I'd rather see Trent get try to get through what could just be some growing pains (with a new coaching staff).

Boomstick
12-03-2008, 08:38 PM

I agree with McNabb coming here, think it would be good to an extent. But I'm worried people are going to turn on him quite quickly. Hes up and down, as far as his performance and I'm sure if he has two bad games in a row, or hell two bad throws in a row, that everyone would say he was washed up and useless. Seems fans mostly want to forget the good things a player does here.

TacklingDummy
12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
McNabb would be nice.

Leftwich is a possibility.

It will depend on how well/bad Trent does these final 4 games.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-03-2008, 09:55 PM
ya know, edwards looked like a friggin HOFer the first 6 weeks... wtf happened?

tat2dmike77
12-03-2008, 10:00 PM

It got cold.

yordad
12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
McNabb or Garcia only please.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2008, 07:47 AM
:z:

THATHURMANATOR
12-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Cassell?
No he is good only because of good coaching he is the next Scott Mitchell.

THATHURMANATOR
12-04-2008, 08:09 AM
No he looked decent. His stats were not that good.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2008, 08:15 AM

a comment like this will only lead to false accusations, by the Lickers, down the road. one of those divetheads will claim that it was me who said it. :shakeno:

justasportsfan
12-04-2008, 08:32 AM
crappy teams figured out our coaches have basic football minds.

justasportsfan
12-04-2008, 08:33 AM
a comment like this will only lead to false accusations, by the Lickers, down the road. one of those divetheads will claim that it was me who said it. :shakeno:
don't flatter yourself. The only thing zoners accused you of is that you stink . Next time take a shower before going to a zoners get together.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2008, 09:02 AM
don't flatter yourself. The only thing zoners accused you of is that you stink . Next time take a shower before going to a zoners get together.

:blahblah: