PDA

View Full Version : I hope the Marv love-fest GM legacy is over

patmoran2006
12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I like Marv.. No, I love Marv. One of my favorite coaches ever.. Til this day, I think anyone else but marv and his ability to manage a locker room and Buffalo doesnt get to 4 straight Super Bowls. Also, one of the nicest people youll ever meet and interview (I did both, more than once). Def deserving of the Hall of Fame, IMO.

But, sorry. Marv's legacy SUCKS as GM. .WE kept hearing this team was going in the right direction. Really? Someone tell me how so.. We look like the same 6-7 win team we've been when Donahoe was here too.

Bottom line is in personnel decisions, and its not just on him but other guys (Modrak, Guy, etc) levy continuously gagged.

* One of the worst FA classes in first year as GM I've EVER seen (Fower, Tripplett, Bowen, Nall and a bunch of people so bad I cant even remember)

* Given Kelsay a RIDICULOUS extension.

* Not recognizing JP Losman was a tool and making getting a better QB a much higher priority.

* Not realizing (I didnt want to, but sadly I'm starting too) realize that Trent Edwards isnt the answer either, and is much more cut out to be a QB in a place like SF or Oakland than blue-collar, cold weather Buffalo.. I mean, seriously, this guy SUCKS in cold weather.

* Does anyone realize that two of the biggest weaknesses on this team is QB play and brutal centers? It makes me want to vomit knowing (and its not a reach, we had a need for both) that instead of Donte Whitner and John McCargo, we could have Jay Cutler and Nick Mangold as Bills right now. . that is disgusting and its not a reach either. They obviously didnt like JP to use a first day pick on a QB, and lord knows (except our FO) that Fowler was BRUTAL..... How much better is this offense with Cutler and Mangold? McCargo is a bum, and is the defense really that much better or worse with Whitner? TERRIBLE decisions by Modrak and Levy and whomever else.

*Oh, the one other little legacy of Marvin the GM. Hiring his buddy DICK JAURON as the head coach..

Good stuff !

gr8slayer
12-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I agree with your post, he was a horrible GM. But I still don't understand where people come up with this myth about Kelsay being overpaid; if you compare his contract to other DE's he's making about what he's due. Did they overpay by a couple of million dollars? Maybe, but you should give your own guys a little more than they are worth on the open market.

HHURRICANE
12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
The Kelsay deal was necessary because there was no other DE available and if anything we got the homeboy discount.

The Schobel re-do was the one that you should go ape crap over. He was already under a long-term deal.

Owen DeBoard
12-03-2008, 06:10 PM
The Kelsay deal was necessary because there was no other DE available and if anything we got the homeboy discount.

The Schobel re-do was the one that you should go ape crap over. He was already under a long-term deal.
Yeah it makes since to pay Kelsay more than Schobel? Give me a break Schobel is alot better than Kelsay in all areas of the game.

Jan Reimers
12-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Marv's biggest mistake was Jauron. A good coach could win with the talent Marv assembled. His personnel acquisitions weren't perfect, but he put some good players in Bills' uniforms. I think that everyone is flawed when judged in hindsight.

jimbohastle51
12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
the ONLY reason that jauron was hired over mike sherman is because levy wasnt going to give up control of the 53 man roster if he was going to build the team. so levy took the coach he knew would be the good soldier and take what he could get in stead of a real coach that would have made it mandatory that he get certain players that levy might not agree with. after 2 years marv thought he had programmed his little tool jauron and look.... he is still the same loser he was when he finished off a losing season in detroit. i will never know how he sold jauron to ralph. i mean he was a loser in chicago and a loser in detroit when he was the interm coach (in fact he didnt even get consideration to be retained as coach of the lions).

Mudflap1
12-03-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree. I think there is enough talent to win more games. It's the coaching that's the biggest problem. Sorry, but this team was 5-1 this year. There is no excuse for being 6-6 right now (and looking at 6-10 or 7-9).

Jon

Philagape
12-03-2008, 07:44 PM
The talent isn't good enough in key places: WR2, TE, C, DE, LB and still developing in others, so that's an unknown

And the line is only starting to learn how to run block apparently; I hope that was coaching (or maybe just weak opponents)

Mitchell55
12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
The talent isn't good enough in key places: WR2, TE, C, DE, LB and still developing in others, so that's an unknown

And the line is only starting to learn how to run block apparently; I hope that was coaching (or maybe just weak opponents)

Center is alright but not perfect. We defintley need a OLB and hopefully give Lehman (misspelled) a shot. TE and WR2 are developing and hopefully will make a big impact next year.

Mitchell55
12-03-2008, 07:48 PM

Center is alright but not perfect. We defintley need a OLB and hopefully give Lehman (misspelled) a shot. TE and WR2 are developing and hopefully will make a big impact next year.

Nighthawk
12-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Marv was just a face that everybody could relate to. Picking Dickey as HC was one of the biggest mistakes this organization ever made!

tat2dmike77
12-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Marv was just a face that everybody could relate to. Picking Dickey as HC was one of the biggest mistakes this organization ever made!

Picking Bafoon Jaruon as the HC makes the Rob Johnson signing genius.

Historian
12-04-2008, 05:43 AM
I disagree on Marv. I thought he did a decent job here as GM.

But it does make me wonder why he abruptly quit.

Something may not have smelled right to him.

OpIv37
12-04-2008, 09:35 AM
I've been saying this for a couple of years now. It's good to see some of you coming around.

I really wish Marv had either stayed retired or came back as the coach. He would have had a better OC than Fairchild, and Bobby April might be ready to be HC with two years of mentoring by Marv.

Wally The Barber
12-04-2008, 05:31 PM
I would not judge Marv by his short time with the Bills, he was really only an adviser.

OpIv37
12-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I would not judge Marv by his short time with the Bills, he was really only an adviser.

what makes him immune from judgment? We're all judged by our performance in our jobs and Marv is no exception. He gave bad advice, as clearly demonstrated by the results on the field.

BILLSROCK1212
12-04-2008, 08:45 PM
guys we were truly in a bigger hole than you guys think we were and Marv got us at least half way out of it

OpIv37
12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
guys we were truly in a bigger hole than you guys think we were and Marv got us at least half way out of it

how do you figure? How are we any better now than we were when Marv got here?

Marv also picked the coaches, which likely need to be changed- and that's about as big a setback as a team can have. To me, that's digging the hole deeper. All Marv did was stop the bleeding, but the wound's about to be re-opened.

Philagape
12-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Maybe we'll win half a Lombardi trophy.

Add lowering standards to Marv's legacy.

yordad
12-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Dude, "still developing in others"? Was that your way of not bringing yourself to say Edwards might not be the guy? After all, we have talent developing at the positions you mentioned too.

Mr. Pink
12-05-2008, 05:34 AM
Marv was a figurehead. If you don't know that or can't figure it out, I don't know what to tell you.

That being said, since he had the official title of "GM" Marv was unequivocally and 100% a complete failure.

Bad draft choices.
Poor free agent signings.
Lousy HC pick.

This team has a coach today who is no better than the guy who walked out the door when Levy walked in.

This team has LESS talent today than it did in 2005.

In fact, honestly, I can't say that any aspect of the team or organization is better today than it was on the day TD left.

There's Marv's legacy as a GM for ya. EPIC FAIL.

patmoran2006
12-05-2008, 06:51 AM
I know Marv was a "figure-head". I've said so as such many times. But if he was the official "GM" he is responsible.

Unfortunately, I pretty much agree with everything you said. Not fun to realize it, but its true.

I thought that Edwards was going to turn this around, but I'm learning two things about him that are becoming rapidly consistent.
1- He sucks in cold weather
2- He's not realiable health wise.

Levy was obviously not sold on Losman, hence the drafting of Edwards. Knowing how Buffalo is, he should've had the foresight to draft Cutler. I like Whitner, but he's not an impact player, in fact, the "old" guy Whitner replaced, Lawyer Milloy, is having a better season (before the Whitner injury) and one could argue is STILL better than Donte three years later (and older)

McCargo was not only a bust, we traded UP to get him. That's horrible, especially when a franchise center was on the board.

Again, his 2006 free agent class was among the WORST in the history of the Bills.

Typ0
12-05-2008, 06:55 AM
The ML choice was horrible....he had no clue how to do the job that needed to be done. But don't blame ML, I believe he wanted to coach and was put there. The fault lies with Ralph Wilson he's the real loser in the whole bunch.