PDA

View Full Version : I think I found a way out

X-Era
12-04-2008, 06:36 AM
Im struggling with being a Bills fan hard core. Ive responded to several posts made by others who want to jump ship. I thought about that briefly but realize theres no way I could do it.

But, why cant I love more than one team? I will always bleed red, white, and blue in more ways than one. But I can bleed more colors too.

My number one team will always be the Bills, and if any other team plays them, Im a Bills fan first. But, I have always been fond of the Steelers as well. My Dad was a Giants fan so I saw alot of them; im on the fence as to whethere I want to root for them or not.

So Im saying that Im also going to be a Steelers fan. With the Rooney situation almost resolved, with there proven record over the years, with having the best player in the league in Polamalu (IMO), thers lots of reasons to like them.

The big reason is that it gives me a chance to have a team to root for whom actually might make the playoffs each year.

IM not disowning the Bills, Im expanding my love so to speak.

mybills
12-04-2008, 06:46 AM
I understand your main reason and I do feel the same way, but to climb aboard another AFC team isn't cool in my book. :ill: If you want to root for an NFC team, that's a different story.

Lots of zoners already know that my # 1 is Buffalo..always has been my main team.
The Giants are my # 2 team, and have been a second favorite almost as long as the Bills have been my first.
(Bills 1969 - Giants 1970something)
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and it's not like I own a Giants jersey, unlike the couple of Bills jerseys among other Bills stuff that I have.

btw, I hate the Steelers! :puke:

:D

LtFinFan66
12-04-2008, 06:46 AM
One team and one team only: Just my opinion

DraftBoy
12-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Do what you want, its not like it matters any. Im a fan of the NFL in general. If the Bills leave town Ill continue to watch games regardless.

RockStar36
12-04-2008, 07:25 AM
I don't know how people can honestly root for more than one team. I say it's all or nothing. If the Bills leave, I might watch the NFL but I would never pick up another team. I would just watch all the games and play fantasy.

DraftBoy
12-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Honestly I think the whole one team or nothing mindset doesnt make much sense. Why do you watch on Sunday? Because you enjoy the game and because your passionate about the team. I dont have the luxury of watching the Bills every Sunday like some do, but I always have it on the internet (NFL.com) and another game on th TV. The game of football is what I enjoy and the Bills are my favorite team to watch, because its where Im from, but I also enjoy watching a number of other teams play too. If the Bills left town it would suck yes but life goes on and there is still a ton of football to watch and enjoy.

RockStar36
12-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Honestly I think the whole one team or nothing mindset doesnt make much sense. Why do you watch on Sunday? Because you enjoy the game and because your passionate about the team. I dont have the luxury of watching the Bills every Sunday like some do, but I always have it on the internet (NFL.com) and another game on th TV. The game of football is what I enjoy and the Bills are my favorite team to watch, because its where Im from, but I also enjoy watching a number of other teams play too. If the Bills left town it would suck yes but life goes on and there is still a ton of football to watch and enjoy.

I definitely love the game and can watch other teams play but I can't invest myself emotionally into another team like I do for Buffalo.

mybills
12-04-2008, 07:31 AM
:10: :bf1:

DraftBoy
12-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I definitely love the game and can watch other teams play but I can't invest myself emotionally into another team like I do for Buffalo.

I think you may be surprised to be honest. Once an emotional void is opened its hard to just close it off instead of fill it. It may take time, it may take a long time but eventually another team if you give it the chance could win you over. Then again maybe it couldn't.

Jeff1220
I don't have a favorite outside of the Bills (my Dad was also a Giants fan/my mom a Lions fan) but I do usually just root for the underdog, or some kind of feel-good story.

mybills
I can't either, that's why they are called number 1.
You don't invest emotionally in a second favorite. You don't even invest in materials for a second favorite. That's why they're second. I've never been to a Giants game, I have a blanket that was given to me, and a bar glass that I picked up at a yard sale. That's it! I have tons of Bills stuff, go to their games, wear their logos, etc.

SABURZFAN
12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Im struggling with being a Bills fan hard core. Ive responded to several posts made by others who want to jump ship. I thought about that briefly but realize theres no way I could do it.

But, why cant I love more than one team? I will always bleed red, white, and blue in more ways than one. But I can bleed more colors too.

My number one team will always be the Bills, and if any other team plays them, Im a Bills fan first. But, I have always been fond of the Steelers as well. My Dad was a Giants fan so I saw alot of them; im on the fence as to whethere I want to root for them or not.

So Im saying that Im also going to be a Steelers fan. With the Rooney situation almost resolved, with there proven record over the years, with having the best player in the league in Polamalu (IMO), thers lots of reasons to like them.

The big reason is that it gives me a chance to have a team to root for whom actually might make the playoffs each year.

HOOOOOOOOOOMOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :limp:

RockStar36
12-04-2008, 07:38 AM
I think you may be surprised to be honest. Once an emotional void is opened its hard to just close it off instead of fill it. It may take time, it may take a long time but eventually another team if you give it the chance could win you over. Then again maybe it couldn't.

I've always said that if the Bills left, although I would watch NFL, NCAA would take it's spot. I would shift those emotions into the Canes. It will be an easy transition.

jamze132
12-04-2008, 07:41 AM

Sounds like you just want to be apart of something positive instead of sucking it up and sticking with our very own loser team. I could never follow another team like I do Buffalo. I think even if they move, I will follow the team to wherever they go.

DraftBoy
12-04-2008, 07:41 AM
I've always said that if the Bills left, although I would watch NFL, NCAA would take it's spot. I would shift those emotions into the Canes. It will be an easy transition.

See I couldnt do that Im already emotionally invested enough in a crappy ass College team, Id just shift my emotions to the Falcons and the rest of the NFL.

RockStar36
12-04-2008, 07:45 AM
See I couldnt do that Im already emotionally invested enough in a crappy ass College team, Id just shift my emotions to the Falcons and the rest of the NFL.

I'm invested in the Canes but it's not near the level I am with the Bills or Sabres. It's like Buffalo teams are number 1 and everything else just falls below. I've watched more than half the Canes games but the ones I don't I just follow online or through text updates. I've watched every single Bills/Sabres game so far this year. That is the difference. If the Bills were gone I would make a point of watching every Canes game and seriously follow them like I do Buffalo.

DraftBoy
12-04-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm invested in the Canes but it's not near the level I am with the Bills or Sabres. It's like Buffalo teams are number 1 and everything else just falls below. I've watched more than half the Canes games but the ones I don't I just follow online or through text updates. I've watched every single Bills/Sabres game so far this year. That is the difference. If the Bills were gone I would make a point of watching every Canes game and seriously follow them like I do Buffalo.

I probably just follow recruiting and DII and DIII football more closely.

RockStar36
12-04-2008, 07:52 AM
The things people like EdwardsEra are doing are so friggin gay. So if Pittsburgh wins the Super Bowl, will you be happy? Will it finally feel good to have a championship team? It won't mean a thing because you hopped on the wagon. I have no respect for fans that do that garbage. It's like all the NE "fans". And then if Buffalo ever wins it those people will come pouring back and cheering like they never left. :limp:

Mad Bomber
12-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Same here. I live in Jets/Giants territory, so I get to see them play every week, and know the teams and players. I don't get terribly upset when they lose like I do with the Bills. I also like to watch them because some of my fantasy players are on the Jets and Giants.

RockStar36
12-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Same here. I live in Jets/Giants territory, so I get to see them play every week, and know the teams and players. I don't get terribly upset when they lose like I do with the Bills. I also like to watch them because some of my fantasy players are on the Jets and Giants.

Almost any other game I watch is because I have fantasy players and I will openly root for those players to do well that week. But it isn't the same. I can't even imagine my reaction if Buffalo won a championship. Any other team, eh, good for them. It's not the same.

Jeff1220
12-04-2008, 08:03 AM
I was more happy with the outcome of last year's Super Bowl than ever before in my lifetime :snicker:

Dujek
12-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, but schadenfreude over the Patsies losing is nowhere near the same feeling as when your team finally wins the big one.

Stewie
12-04-2008, 08:13 AM

groan.

Mr. Pink
12-04-2008, 10:53 AM
When the Browns left in 1995...I was at the last game played at municipal, it was more like a funeral procession than a football game...

I didn't root for a team the following year. I still watched games because I love football. I'd root for whoever was playing the Ravens to destroy them and maybe a sniper on the roof take out Modell.

I kept up with a few of the Browns players elsewhere in the league and I'll always have a special respect for Steve Everritt, Browns Center and then Ravens Center, during a Ravens game in 96 he was wearing a Browns bandana. I followed how Eric Turner could do all the way to Oakland.

Then the Bills had a Browns appreciation day thing at the Ralph. Out of my respect for what the Bills and the organization did that Sunday I grew to actually care how the Bills did on the field.

Unlike when I was younger when I absolutely hated the Bills and their fans. I was originally born here and had family and a couple friends here who would give me constant ish about how the Browns would choke in the playoffs and the Bills made the Superbowl.

Unlike many of you, I laughed when Norwood went wide right. Now that I root for the time, it would have been better if he actually made it so lifelong Bills fans would have a championship to hang their hats on. And not one from back in 1965.

RockStar36
12-04-2008, 10:59 AM
When the Browns left in 1995...I was at the last game played at municipal, it was more like a funeral procession than a football game...

I didn't root for a team the following year. I still watched games because I love football. I'd root for whoever was playing the Ravens to destroy them and maybe a sniper on the roof take out Modell.

I kept up with a few of the Browns players elsewhere in the league and I'll always have a special respect for Steve Everritt, Browns Center and then Ravens Center, during a Ravens game in 96 he was wearing a Browns bandana. I followed how Eric Turner could do all the way to Oakland.

Then the Bills had a Browns appreciation day thing at the Ralph. Out of my respect for what the Bills and the organization did that Sunday I grew to actually care how the Bills did on the field.

Unlike when I was younger when I absolutely hated the Bills and their fans. I was originally born here and had family and a couple friends here who would give me constant ish about how the Browns would choke in the playoffs and the Bills made the Superbowl.

Unlike many of you, I laughed when Norwood went wide right. Now that I root for the time, it would have been better if he actually made it so lifelong Bills fans would have a championship to hang their hats on. And not one from back in 1965.

That is a completely acceptable reason to follow two teams.

But to just jump on another team because the Bills aren't doing good is such garbage.

TacklingDummy
12-04-2008, 11:12 AM

Is it ok to have a wife and a girlfriend?

Well if the wife is not putting out maybe the girlfriend will.

trapezeus
12-04-2008, 11:13 AM
i like football. but i was brought up in a bills house. no other team, even if i want to cheer for them, has the history.

i can't watch another team's game and say something like, "this reminds me of 3rd down in that chiefs game in 92 where so and so f'd up big time and the season unraveled because of."

that's what makes bills game so special to me. that's why they are my favorite. i can recall all these things that have led to this moment. so a bills championship will really mean something to me.

rooting for a college team that captures my attention for a season adn watching them win is fun, but it isn't the same thing.

if the bills leave, i'll probably watch parts of games on TV during the season, but i won't buy any merchandize, i won't go to games. It really won't mean as much to be. i'll probably just watch the sabres.

yordad
12-04-2008, 11:14 AM
True team fans have one team. You would taint your Bills fanhoodship. If you added teams to your "love", you wouldn't feel victory, when its finally had, like a true diehard Bills fan.

Just say "no" to expanding your love.

OpIv37
12-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't understand the two-team thing.

I mean, in addition to the Bills, I sort of follow the Eagles because a) my family's from the Philly area and I was born just over the river from the stadium b) I saw a lot of McNabb when he was at Syracuse and c) they have Trevor Laws who was one of my favorite players when he was at ND.

But I wouldn't consider myself a "fan". I like to see them win when they're not playing the Bills and I flip to the game if it's on, but I don't follow their off season moves or know their roster and I definitely don't own any merch. If they win, "that's nice." If they lose, "oh damn" and that's the end of it. An Eagles win doesn't even come CLOSE to counteracting a Bills loss, and I could never have the same passion for them or any other team that I have for the Bills.

Once the Bills are out of it, the best way to enjoy football is rooting for the Pats, Titans, Dolphins or other teams I hate to lose.

Yasgur's Farm
12-04-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know how people can honestly root for more than one team. I say it's all or nothing. If the Bills leave, I might watch the NFL but I would never pick up another team. I would just watch all the games and play fantasy.If the Bills leave town, I'll be pushing for a CFL franchise for Buffalo... And that will be my 1 and only professional team.

Hell... CFL players gotta be a whole lot less pretentious than the NFL breed!!

PECKERWOOD
12-04-2008, 11:22 AM

No kidding, I think rooting for multiple teams is a loser's mentality. You might as well just root for every team in the NFL so one of your teams makes it to the Super Bowl every year!!! Give me a break.

Double E, if you root for multiple teams it's just going to water down your joy for the Bills when we finally do make the Super Bowl. One team, one team only. Unless it's college football!

Yasgur's Farm
12-04-2008, 11:27 AM

Well if the wife is not putting out maybe the girlfriend will.Maybe so... But don't expect the wife to stick around.

TacklingDummy
12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
If the Bills leave town, I'll be pushing for a CFL franchise for Buffalo... And that will be my 1 and only professional team.

Hell... CFL players gotta be a whole lot less pretentious than the NFL breed!!

If you are lucky enough the team that signs Losman will move to Buffalo. :snicker:

You had to see that coming.

Yasgur's Farm
12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
I guess we'll have to put Edwards in the same category too.

madness
12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
This thread makes my Bills blood boil. Although I will give FunTimes less of a hard time (just a little) now that I know his story. I totally forgot about the whole Browns leaving part. :doh:

X-Era
12-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Sounds like you just want to be apart of something positive instead of sucking it up and sticking with our very own loser team. I could never follow another team like I do Buffalo. I think even if they move, I will follow the team to wherever they go.

That is part of it. Sorry, but I want to have a team to root for that has a real shot. I can never ditch buffalo, but I cant deal with having all my eggs in one basket with all of the eggs being rotten.

At least this way, I have can have something positive come out of each year (hopefully) and can still hope and pray that the Bills finally straighten it all out.

All or nothing makes no sense. I have two daughters and can manage to love both... Thats just no very logical.

X-Era
12-04-2008, 12:36 PM

Well if the wife is not putting out maybe the girlfriend will.

No but how about two daughters?

And by the way, If I had a wife that made me feel as bad as the Bills do for so long, she would have been gone years ago.

X-Era
12-04-2008, 12:39 PM
True team fans have one team. You would taint your Bills fanhoodship. If you added teams to your "love", you wouldn't feel victory, when its finally had, like a true diehard Bills fan.

Just say "no" to expanding your love.

Thats the best arguement I have heard. I have said for years that being a Bills fan is like money in the bank, when we finally get our payday, its going to be HUGE!

I cant disagree with that arguement at all.

I guess I just need something positive out of all this. If Im going to invest so much time, why cant we get something positive out of it?

X-Era
12-04-2008, 12:42 PM
This thread makes my Bills blood boil. Although I will give FunTimes less of a hard time (just a little) now that I know his story. I totally forgot about the whole Browns leaving part. :doh:

Its not intended to be that way... honest. I just am sick and tired of feeling like crap about this team with no end in sight.

If I kick my fanship down a notch until they finally make some real moves, isnt it just self preservation?

In the meantime, I would get to root for a organization that has a history of success.

RockStar36
12-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Its not intended to be that way... honest. I just am sick and tired of feeling like crap about this team with no end in sight.

If I kick my fanship down a notch until they finally make some real moves, isnt it just self preservation?

In the meantime, I would get to root for a organization that has a history of success.

It's complete garbage to flip flop teams. You ride out YOUR team through thick and thin. That is what makes a real fan.

So who is your favorite basketball team until 2010 when the Knicks decide to be relevant again?

Boomstick
12-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I could never turn away from Buffalo. They're the only team that turns my emotions into physical sickness, or nervousness. Its like that 3rd and 4 to go and it means the game if they don't make it. I get that feeling in my stomach and when the play is said and done, they get a emphatic reaction from me. I'm that way with the Pacers and Penn State.
But since '95, the AFC championship in particular, I have sort of rooted for the Colts. Now they don't get the emotion that the Bills get, but being from Indy, its one of those home town things I guess. If the Bills have nothing to gain or lose from a Colts game, then I'm into it.
Just for an example, I was rooting for the Colts to lose the SanDiego game, because it would have put Buffalo in a better position for the playoffs.

Michael82
12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
:bf1:

I never understood those idiots who declare that the Bills are their #1 team and Giants or Cowboys or someone else is their #2 favorite team. :ill:

mybills
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
People are confusing the following..

fan of 2 teams
root for a second team

there's a huge difference.

If you're a fan of 2, you'd have all of the gear for both, and go to see both of them play.

If you root for a second team, (unless they're playing your # 1 team) and you don't go out of your way to watch them live, or stock up on their gear, that's OK.

mybills
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
:bf1:

I never understood those idiots who declare that the Bills are their #1 team and Giants or Cowboys or someone else is their #2 favorite team. :ill:
:scratch: thanks?
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=2752620&postcount=2

Michael82
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
It's complete garbage to flip flop teams. You ride out YOUR team through thick and thin. That is what makes a real fan.

So who is your favorite basketball team until 2010 when the Knicks decide to be relevant again?
Great post! :hi5:

Michael82
12-04-2008, 08:43 PM
People are confusing the following..

fan of 2 teams
root for a second team

there's a huge difference.

If you're a fan of 2, you'd have all of the gear for both, and go to see both of them play.

If you root for a second team, (unless they're playing your # 1 team) and you don't go out of your way to watch them live, or stock up on their gear, that's OK.
rooting for another team is still different than having a 2nd favorite team. Having a 2nd favorite team means that you watch their games and are happy and talk about them when they win and are upset or down when they lose. Rooting for them is basically...eh, I'm hoping they win, but if they don't...oh well. I don't care.

elltrain22
12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I could never love another team, no way. My loyalty will always be to this team, and this team only, period. Sorry

X-Era
12-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Apparently, some of us half-read the details here.

I am merely following a "second" team, note that I put the word second in quotations. That means that that are now and will always be my second team. I am a Bills fan first, it simply will not change.

But I will begin to watch another team and enjoy watching them, that team is the Steelers.

If the Steelers play the Bills, I root for the Bills.

No one is dis-owning anything.

After this long and this much pain, why give up now? Thats stupid.

BillsOwnAll
12-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Man i dont think i could just like another team. Its not the same. Ive been a bills fans since i was like 5. When they lose i feel like a i lose. And when they win i feel like i win. Itd just be so hard to even be happy when another team wins. Other games dont really affect me like that. I mean i enjoy watching NFL in genreal. I love watching any game really. Its just i couldnt just root for another team. But i do LOVE pomomalu(sp) Hes a ton of fun to watch. The thing i would give to havea guy like that in buffalo...

X-Era
12-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Man i dont think i could just like another team. Its not the same. Ive been a bills fans since i was like 5. When they lose i feel like a i lose. And when they win i feel like i win. Itd just be so hard to even be happy when another team wins. Other games dont really affect me like that. I mean i enjoy watching NFL in genreal. I love watching any game really. Its just i couldnt just root for another team. But i do LOVE pomomalu(sp) Hes a ton of fun to watch. The thing i would give to havea guy like that in buffalo...

Someday my friend, someday.

We will get ours, the Bills will win. I just dont think it will happen as long as Ralph is alive, Im saddened to say that.