PDA

View Full Version : Clayton: Fins a dark horse for SB....

Mitchy moo
12-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Every other year we hear this:

AFC: Miami Dolphins

Talk about coming out of nowhere. The Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) were 1-15 a season ago, and their performance cost coach Cam Cameron his job and persuaded owner Wayne Huizenga to sell the team. A year later, the Dolphins are the team that won't go away in the AFC playoff race. At 7-5, the Dolphins are a contender, and their remaining schedule makes them a danger. During the next three weeks, the Dolphins will face teams with a combined record of 12-24 -- Buffalo (6-6), San Francisco (4-8) and Kansas City (2-10). If they win those three games, they could go into the season finale against the Jets with a 10-5 record. With four conference losses compared to the Patriots' five, the Dolphins would win the tiebreaker with New England and end up in the playoffs if both teams finish with 10 wins.
[+] Enlarge (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&page=hotread12/darkhorses#)

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1116/nfl_u_pennington_200.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&page=hotread12/darkhorses#)Kirby Lee/US Presswire
Discarded by the Jets, Chad Pennington has led the Dolphins into playoff contention.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum might have earned executive of the year honors by making trades to acquire Brett Favre (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=112) and Kris Jenkins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2592), but how would it look if a Dolphins team coming off a 1-15 season were to catch New York in the AFC East? The Jets cut Chad Pennington (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2149) to make room for Favre, but Pennington has quietly put together a nice season. Pennington made it to the playoffs three times with the Jets, but the Jets questioned his arm strength.
So much of the Dolphins' playoff run comes down to Sunday's game against the Bills. The Dolphins get a break because the game is in Toronto rather than Buffalo. The roof will be closed, so the Dolphins won't have to play in the wind and cold weather. That's a big benefit to Pennington, who would have trouble with the winds in Buffalo.
The Dolphins have been fortunate all season. They have played the fourth-easiest schedule in the league. They've gone 5-1 against the NFC West and AFC West and have the chance to go 7-1 against those divisions if they beat the 49ers and Chiefs. First-year coach Tony Sparano has done a great job of motivating his players and adding toughness to the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&page=hotread12/darkhorses (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&page=hotread12/darkhorses)

Novacane
12-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Their schedule is pretty easy but a super bowl contender? Clayton is crazy.

Nighthawk
12-04-2008, 07:28 PM
No way in hell that team is a SB contender...NO WAY!

gr8slayer
12-04-2008, 07:30 PM
:meh: anything is possible I suppose, but I doubt it.

SquishDaFish
12-04-2008, 07:38 PM
He must of been hitting a crack pipe when he wrote that

finfan34
12-04-2008, 08:15 PM
i dont think we are anywhere close to being a contender. but did you really think the giants were a contender last year at this time (if you say yes, you are lying)

gr8slayer
12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
i dont think we are anywhere close to being a contender. but did you really think the giants were a contender last year at this time (if you say yes, you are lying)
Yes.

Michael82
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
:roflmao:

LtFinFan66
12-04-2008, 08:25 PM
any given Sunday and all but that being said.....Clayton needs to lay off the crack pipe

LtFinFan66
12-04-2008, 08:27 PM
and Skoobs....this has no business in the BillsZone....you know better

Mitchy moo
12-04-2008, 08:29 PM

Who are you guys playing this week?

LtFinFan66
12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
So, this thread has nothing to do with the Bills and you know it....Fin week or not

gr8slayer
12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
So, this thread has nothing to do with the Bills and you know it....Fin week or not
Come on fish stick, you know you're getting off to the article.

Mitchy moo
12-04-2008, 08:33 PM

All I know is our opponent this week maybe going to the SB, I thought you if anyone would appreciate the honor.

The Bills were the "dark Horse" pick 6 weeks ago, goodluck with the label.

Kenny
12-04-2008, 08:54 PM

While I'll admit I didnt think they would, -at least on paper, they had a very good team.
The Fins on the other hand, dont really have a great team... but that coaching staff of theirs is something else. Unbelievable production out of relatively no-name players.
It's a little scary just thinking about how the fins will be doing 2 or 3 years down the road.

Dolphinatic
12-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Clayton didn't even get the playoff outlook right. Miami doesn't necessarily win a tiebreak over New England at 10-6.

The Fins aren't ready for the Super Bowl (well, almost certainly not, but I guess you never really know). Playoffs? Maybe.

Typ0
12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Seems to be saying dark horse for the SB by virtue of a possibility of making the playoffs...hate to say this folks but you have to be in it to win it and they get to the playoffs they are a dark horse for sure. It's dead on.

billogic99
12-04-2008, 10:46 PM
No way in hell that team is a SB contender...NO WAY!

I agree, especially with teams like the Giants, Jets, Titans that are ten times better. The Dolphins are now what the Bills were in week 6. They just happen to have their soft stretch now. I get tired of the media talking about teams based on records and nothing else.

billogic99
12-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Clayton didn't even get the playoff outlook right. Miami doesn't necessarily win a tiebreak over New England at 10-6.

The Fins aren't ready for the Super Bowl (well, almost certainly not, but I guess you never really know). Playoffs? Maybe.

I think Miami is 2 years from a SB chance, if it happens with BP.

Mike13
12-04-2008, 10:49 PM
we're not there yet, not by a long shot.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-04-2008, 10:51 PM
finishing last in the division after a 5-1 start.

this just sucks

i mean really... this just sucks

tat2dmike77
12-04-2008, 11:56 PM
If Rob Johnson, Bernie Kosar and Trent Dilfer can all have a super bowl ring i guess anything is possible though not likely but possible.

Static
12-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Sweet lord give us a chance to have a winning record before we even think about the playoffs.....and there is no way we are ready to play the top teams in the NFL.

madness
12-05-2008, 08:35 AM

It doesn't work anymore but hopefully you can figure it out. ----> :stfu:

:squish:

madness
12-05-2008, 08:37 AM
finishing last in the division after a 5-1 start.

this just sucks

i mean really... this just sucks

I'd rather deal with our current consquences than be a smelly fish fan.

LtFinFan66
12-05-2008, 09:52 AM
It doesn't work anymore but hopefully you can figure it out. ----> :stfu:

:squish:Does the fact that I'm right bother you??

Jan Reimers
12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
The Fins are such a dark, dark horse that no one can really see them anywhere near the Super Bowl.

madness
12-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Does the fact that I'm right bother you??

As pointed out, you're not right at all.

Mike13
12-05-2008, 12:16 PM
As pointed out, you're not right at all.

all you've done so far is mindlesly talk ****, you havent pointed anything out.

madness
12-05-2008, 01:03 PM
all you've done so far is mindlesly talk ****, you havent pointed anything out.

No crap, others already did in this thread. Miami is our opponent this week so why wouldn't it be allowed in the main forum? We like hearing mindless drivel like Miami actually has a shot to make the the SB. That's even a farther reach then the Bills making the playoffs.

!Papacrunk!
12-05-2008, 04:00 PM
the article is about PLAYOFF darkhorses, not Super Bowl dark horse. One leads to the other, but that's two huge differences. C'mon people, the only time he talks about the Super Bowl was NY's wild trip last year. The whole article is strictly talking about teams and their CHANCES of making it to soley the PLAYOFFS :)

Mitchy moo
12-05-2008, 04:03 PM
the article is about PLAYOFF darkhorses, not Super Bowl dark horse. One leads to the other, but that's two huge differences. C'mon people.

Man I'll give you one thing, your cheerleaders make our cheerleaders look like mangey mutts.

madness
12-05-2008, 04:06 PM
the article is about PLAYOFF darkhorses, not Super Bowl dark horse. One leads to the other, but that's two huge differences. C'mon people, the only time he talks about the Super Bowl was NY's wild trip last year. The whole article is strictly talking about teams and their CHANCES of making it to soley the PLAYOFFS :)

Then I blame the one who made the thread title. :D

!Papacrunk!
12-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Then I blame the one who made the thread title. :D

we need a title edit, lol