PDA

View Full Version : L.T. gets virtual

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-05-2003, 02:10 PM
05.01.03 - Chargers defensive end Marcellus Wiley likes to refer to teammate LaDainian Tomlinson as the human joystick.
The unique nickname stems from the Pro Bowl running back’s ability to make moves on a real football field that are just as spectacular as the ones his likeness makes on virtual playing fields in today’s video games.

The virtual and real worlds collided on Wednesday when Tomlinson helped create his computer-animated persona at the 989 Sports studios in San Diego during a motion capture session for NFL GameDay 2004 for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 entertainment systems.

A motion capture session is exactly what it sounds like. First, Tomlinson sat for a head scan, which took images of his face at 45 degree angles, resulting in a lifelike computer recreation of his face.

After the scan, it was time for his body movements. Dressed in a full body suit covered with reflective light markers, Tomlinson performed a variety of moves similar to the ones he uses in games, including cuts, spins, hurdles and celebrations, while digital cameras captured each of his movements. The moves will be incorporated into NFL GameDay 2004, which is scheduled for an August release.

The highlight of the session came when Tomlinson did an impromptu re-enactment of his end zone celebration in Oakland last season when he fell to his knees and put out his arms after defeating the Raiders with a game-winning touchdown run in overtime. This time, L.T. added a twist to the celebration when he performed a standing back flip that had the motion capture technicians smiling from ear-to-ear.

“Oh yeah, I think we’ll be able to find a way to get that one into the game somewhere,” said Steve Paulsen, the project’s lead animator.

An avid video game player, Tomlinson clearly enjoyed the opportunity to help create his image of NFL GameDay 2004.

“I had a blast. It was a really fun and unique experience for me,” said Tomlinson. “It was really nice to get out here and imitate my moves for a video game.”

Added Tomlinson: “I play so many video games. I probably have all of them at my house. It’s fun. I enjoy doing it. I enjoy competing with my teammates and my friends. It’s fun to play.

“This is unbelievable. As a kid, we used to play Tecmo Bowl, and the guys were so slow. Technology has really come a long way. Nowadays, the games actually look real. To come into a studio like this, it’s amazing to see how they really do it. It’s just going to make the games better and better.”

Tomlinson, who established franchise single-season records for rushing yards and combined yards from scrimmage last year, will be featured on the cover of NFL GameDay 2004.

“I think it is one of the highest honors you can have as a football player, being on the cover of a video game,” said the Pro Bowl running back. “For one, as a kid you always look at the video games to see who is on the cover and dream of one day being one of those guys.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=1174