PDA

View Full Version : Kelly fighting for his Bills to stay put

shelby
12-05-2008, 07:11 AM
If Ralph Wilson was going to sell his beloved Buffalo Bills to anyone, would it not be to Jim Kelly, the man who led the team to four straight Super Bowl appearances in the 1990s?"I hope so," Kelly said with a smile yesterday. "But I don't think my American Express card can hold that much. So I might have to get a couple of them."
The former quarterback, a hale mountain of a man more than a decade into retirement, is leading a charge to keep the Bills in Buffalo. He has assumed the role of front man for a nebulous consortium jockeying to grab the baton whenever Wilson, the franchise's 90-year-old owner, decides to pass it along.
Kelly would not identify any of the investors. He balked at requests for details yesterday while making an appearance at Rogers Centre to promote a series of Ontario high-school football bowl games, but said there has been plenty of interest in his cause.
"I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of people who have contacted me, that they want to be a part of the team that stays here in Buffalo," Kelly said. "To be honest with you, there are some people who said they wanted to own the team and take it somewhere else. I will not engage in any conversation with anybody who wants to take the team and move it -- whether it's north of the border or some other city in the United States."

more... (http://www.nationalpost.com/todays_paper/story.html?id=1029294)

Jan Reimers
12-05-2008, 08:09 AM
I hope Kelly can put together a local ownership group that has the resources to be the successful bidder for the Bills' franchise. NFL bylaws limit such groups to 32 or 36 investors (I forget which), with one having to own 40% of the team.

If anyone can put such a consortium together, it would seem to be Jimbo.

THATHURMANATOR
12-05-2008, 08:15 AM
I love Jim Kelly.

Night Train
12-05-2008, 08:15 AM
It's really the Bills only hope of staying.

Kelly may be the front man but the local heavyweight $$ would come from people named Golisano, Rich, Jacobs etc.

blackonyx89
12-05-2008, 08:27 AM
It's really the Bills only hope of staying.

Kelly may be the front man but the local heavyweight $$ would come from people named Golisano, Rich, Jacobs etc.

You know that one possible investor could be Donald Trump? I rememer that Marla Maples who was dating The Don back in the day participated in Jim Kelly Stargaze at the old Pilot Field. He obviously became friends with The Don back then and hopefully signed him on the investing team.

trapezeus
12-05-2008, 08:38 AM
was donald trump the owner of the houston gamblers? i know he was a USFL owner. That is how kelly may know Trump.

I'm not sure how i feel about a trump led team. it could potentially be worse.

DMBcrew36
12-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I love Jim Kelly.

Yeah, it makes up for all the terrible **** he has done, in a way.

RockStar36
12-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Not to sound mean, but I can't wait for the day when new ownership takes over. I'm tired of talking or thinking about it. I just want it done.

THATHURMANATOR
12-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, it makes up for all the terrible **** he has done, in a way.
What terrible **** did he do?

AG75
12-05-2008, 09:27 AM
There is a reason this man is my all time favorite Buffalo Bill.

He is awesome! Hope it all works out.

blackonyx89
12-05-2008, 09:28 AM

He never did anything bad to me, as long as he can keep the Bills here, I don't care and maybe we can start building a Super Bowl winning team!!

Stewie
12-05-2008, 09:46 AM
now is a terrible time to be asking someone to give you 40% of 750 million, plus another couple hundred mil for operations. In addition to getting the other 60% + from 30 other people.. not good.. investors without strong ties to buffalo would be much more inclined to acquire the franchise and move it to a new location. The NFL will be completely on board, especially if the timing can coincide with TV contract renewals

blackonyx89
12-05-2008, 09:51 AM
was donald trump the owner of the houston gamblers? i know he was a USFL owner. That is how kelly may know Trump.

I'm not sure how i feel about a trump led team. it could potentially be worse.

No The New York/ NJ Generals. I just want him to a part investor, if that's possible.

http://www.nndb.com/people/363/000022297/

yordad
12-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure how i feel about a trump led team. it could potentially be worse.With his ego and drive to be #1? I can't immagine it would be worst, unless he hired himself to coach. He is a busy man though. I'm thinking he would get us the best available coach, and demand results.

SABURZFAN
12-05-2008, 01:58 PM
:z:

Ebenezer
12-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Call me when Ralph dies...nothing gets done until then.

Boomstick
12-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Call me when Ralph dies...nothing gets done until then.
Unfortunately you're right. There is no way that anyone offers Ralph something so great that he accepts it and the sale happens before hes gone.

AG75
12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately you're right. There is no way that anyone offers Ralph something so great that he accepts it and the sale happens before hes gone.

So true. Funny, most people worry about him kicking the bucket and this team moving once he does. I personally just want closure. Uhm, I'm not exactly saying I want the man to drop dead now, but I seriously hate the anticipation of what's going to happen with this team.

Boomstick
12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
So true. Funny, most people worry about him kicking the bucket and this team moving once he does. I personally just want closure. Uhm, I'm not exactly saying I want the man to drop dead now, but I seriously hate the anticipation of what's going to happen with this team.

You're right, its the anticipation that makes me nervous... that pisses me off... and I am like you, I just want something to happen one way or the other.
But this team really needs to stay put. The region, the people need it.

theanswer74
12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Jim Kelly has a genuine love for us because we had a genuine love for him and his family.

He will fight for us.

plundar
12-06-2008, 12:53 AM
I will tell you what helps the team stay here, our support as fans. As rough as it is to see the team play poorly, we need to support them. If fans turn on the Bills it won't send a good message to the league. It is hard when they are awful, but we need to keep the Bills in Buffalo. We might have to ride it out for a bit longer until someone grows a pair. This team needs toughness. Go Bills!!

JD
12-06-2008, 03:45 AM
As bad as the team is at this moment, we must still support them to the fullest.

I want my kids to be able to attend their first Bills game in BUFFALO, where they belong.

ticatfan
12-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Bills will not be coming to canada. The place might be full for this game ,but they had to give away 1000's of tickets. And alot of people are there to see williams.

DMBcrew36
12-07-2008, 12:04 AM

Sources saying he beats or used to beat his wife. Womanizer who goes out looking for younger women - I know lots of people who see him out. He also screwed over the investors and suppliers for his restaurant that he drove in to the ground - twice, if I recall correctly. A lot of family owned businesses that helped him were hurt and he ignored that he owed them money, even though he has it.

SeatownBillsFan21
12-07-2008, 01:00 AM
Not to sound mean, but I can't wait for the day when new ownership takes over. I'm tired of talking or thinking about it. I just want it done.
HUH when this happens in 5 years or even 10 when the team gets sold the Bills will not Be in buffalo any longer how could ever admit that you want Ralph to die cause when he goes so do the bills maybe not right away but it will happen and when it does it will be a sad day for me and im sure ever1 on this board who live and die Bills Football so LONG LIVE THE RALPH!!!!!!!

OpIv37
12-07-2008, 01:36 AM
the dude rescued the franchise once. Hopefully he can do it again.

THATHURMANATOR
12-07-2008, 02:28 AM
HUH when this happens in 5 years or even 10 when the team gets sold the Bills will not Be in buffalo any longer how could ever admit that you want Ralph to die cause when he goes so do the bills maybe not right away but it will happen and when it does it will be a sad day for me and im sure ever1 on this board who live and die Bills Football so LONG LIVE THE RALPH!!!!!!!
You have no way of confirming this statement