PDA

View Full Version : This third year QB needs to be cut...

Ebenezer
12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
It's amazing how quickly we think TE is terrible and needs to be replaced...give the guy a break...he's technically only been a starter for a year...check out the stats on this third year QB...I bet nobody wants him cut.

<pre>

CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
269 452 59.5 3380 7.5 15 66 17 78.2

TacklingDummy
12-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Kelly had 2 extra years in the USFL.

And please don't compare Kelly to Edwards. 2 months from now justa, ace, draz or some other "L" will say I was the one comparing Kelly to Edwards.

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't think he should be cut but the coaches needs to be cut.

Night Train
12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I certainly don't want him cut... but do believe we need a Vet signed with Losman leaving & maybe one drafted, in case Edwards has a pattern of inconsistent play or injuries.

He is holding the ball too long on many plays and just locking on to his primary,allowing defenders to jump his passes. He's also bounced a lot of balls this year.

Always cover yourself at QB. Just ask Jon Gruden. :up:

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Holding on to the ball instead of running with it when the OL breaks down was instilled by Fairchild and continued by Turk. When both JP and Trent use theiir legs something better than getting sacked happens.

HHURRICANE
12-05-2008, 11:01 AM
The reality is that Edwards has made mistakes but expecting a 2nd year player to be perfect on a team that isn't very good is a joke.

Let's talk about the issues:

1) Peters struggling early and edwards still won us games.

2) How many games were we missing Butler?

3) How many games without Josh Reed?

4) How many games did Lynch struggle to run the ball?

The team is not good and if you really think that throwing to Parrish, Royal, Hardy, Johnson, and "concrete hands" Lynch is helping our young QB than you don't know football.

Ebenezer
12-05-2008, 12:12 PM

And please don't compare Kelly to Edwards. 2 months from now justa, ace, draz or some other "L" will say I was the one comparing Kelly to Edwards.
TD is the only one who caught it...

These are JK's third year stats...AND he had 2 years in the USFL...5 pro seasons...and his numbers were terrible.

The King
12-05-2008, 12:15 PM
It would be interesting to see what a QB who has had success could do for Trent. He's surrounded by a bunch who haven't even smelled it.

Van Pelt, JP, Schonert...

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 12:15 PM

when did I ever say you said that?

OpIv37
12-05-2008, 12:26 PM
So we're going to hold onto him and give him two more years to develop, only to find out he doesn't pan out and we've wasted 4-5 seasons, just like we did with Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, JP Losman.....

We might as well keep doing the same thing. It's working so well!

gr8slayer
12-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Two totally different QB's with two totally different skill sets.

ParanoidAndroid
12-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I certainly don't want him cut... but do believe we need a Vet signed with Losman leaving & maybe one drafted, in case Edwards has a pattern of inconsistent play or injuries.

He is holding the ball too long on many plays and just locking on to his primary,allowing defenders to jump his passes. He's also bounced a lot of balls this year.

Always cover yourself at QB. Just ask Jon Gruden. :up:

It's been the MO for all of our recent QB's including Bledsoe. That makes me think it's primarily a problem with the system rather than the players, necessarily.

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 12:28 PM
So we're going to hold onto him and give him two more years to develop, only to find out he doesn't pan out and we've wasted 4-5 seasons, just like we did with Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, JP Losman.....

why not? Typo want to hold on to Jauron .

TacklingDummy
12-05-2008, 12:29 PM

I said 2 months from now.

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 12:29 PM
wel TDummy?

TacklingDummy
12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
read above

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I said 2 months from now.

any reason why your crystal ball says I will accuse you of saying that?

Ebenezer

Right...we should just keep the QB carosel going because we see how many QBs win SBs in their first two years.

Ebenezer
TD and justa...back on topic or you will be out of the thread...enough is enough guys.

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 12:32 PM
keep Trent and bring in another qb to compete for the job.

Chimpanze
12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
keep Trent and bring in another qb to compete for the job.

Good Idea, lets get another stressful QB controversy going!!!

How about this...

Management-TE you are the starter and we will sign a backup that fully understands his role. A BACK UP that is there for you and will help you out during the more difficult times.

TE- Thanks for the confidence I will do my best.

BOY THAT WOULD BE TO SMART TO DO!

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Good Idea, lets get another stressful QB controversy going!!!

How about this...

Management-TE you are the starter and we will sign a backup that fully understands his role. A BACK UP that is there for you and will help you out during the more difficult times.

TE- Thanks for the confidence I will do my best.

BOY THAT WOULD BE TO SMART TO DO!
so if Trent turns out to be another Jp what then?

You can't hand the job to someone who has proven to lose his confidence every now and then and who hasn't proven to be able to play in the cold.

So no, handing the job to an unproven player is the stupid thing to do.

SABURZFAN
12-05-2008, 01:36 PM
so if Trent turns out to be another Jp what then?

You can't hand the job to someone who has proven to lose his confidence every now and then and who hasn't proven to be able to play in the cold.

so you hand it over to someone who has proven how to lose. :brilliant:

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 01:38 PM
so you hand it over to someone who has proven how to lose. :brilliant:

I never said to hand the job to anyone. Besides, the chimp and I were talking about next year. DUH!

SABURZFAN
12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
I never said to hand the job to anyone. Besides, the chimp and I were talking about next year. DUH!

next year, Lossman will be gone. DUH!

acehole
12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Not cut...just not ready for NFL.

It does look like another Cade Mcnown however.

It's amazing how quickly we think TE is terrible and needs to be replaced...give the guy a break...he's technically only been a starter for a year...check out the stats on this third year QB...I bet nobody wants him cut.

CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
269 452 59.5 3380 7.5 15 66 17 78.2
</PRE>

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 01:45 PM
next year, Lossman will be gone. DUH!
exactly , which is why no one is talking about him next year . Maybe you did. The chimp makes more sense than the missing link. :roflmao:

SABURZFAN
12-05-2008, 01:47 PM
exactly , which is why no one is talking about him next year . Maybe you did. The chimp makes more sense than the missing link. :roflmao:

but yet, you continue to be clueless. carry on with your bad self. :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
12-05-2008, 01:56 PM
:lolpoint:
carry on with your bad self. :rolleyes:

thought so.

SABURZFAN
12-05-2008, 01:57 PM
:z:

Ebenezer
12-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Get back to the issue or I ban you all from the thread.

OpIv37
12-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Right...we should just keep the QB carosel going because we see how many QBs win SBs in their first two years.

or we could just strap ourselves in for another ride to mediocrity. We've been here before.

This whole thing about a QB taking time to develop- well, it takes time but not as much as people think. Rothlisbergenheimenreiner, Flacco, Ryan, Cassell, Quinn isn't as good as those guys but he came in and did better than Anderson- guys are proving more and more that they can step in with little to no experience and do well. Yet, the Bills motto of "There's always next year" takes precedence- "just one more year, just one more year, just one more year...."

I'm really sick of the broken record routine.

Here's a better idea- get someone in the FO who can evaluate talent and find a real QB.

OpIv37
12-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Your problem is this assumption that the criticism is because he didn't win the Super Bowl in his first two years. Wrong.

Losman went stagnant after the first two years of being a starter. Edwards actually regressed.

If these guys were showing progression instead of stagnation or regression, people wouldn't be so upset. Last season and early this season, Edwards was smart with the ball and showing signs of being a real NFL QB. Now, he looks ****ing clueless.

That's why people are calling for his head- it has nothing to do with winning the SB. Not even the biggest homers had that kind of expectation. Your post is based on hyperbole.

Mr. Pink
12-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Because Trent has shown anything from college to now, that Kelly showed from College to his second NFL season right?

Damn the Bills for giving up so quickly on Bruce Mathison!

Damn the Bills for giving up so quickly on Billy Joe Hobert!

God, it's groundhog day. I remember having this position on Losman in 2005 and seeing these comparison threads.

Fact. Losman sucks. Fact. Edwards suck. Fact. Neither are good enough for this level. Fact. We'll continue to spin our wheels to mediocrity with either at QB. Fact. One of them is gone after this season, too bad it's not both.

We do need to sign a backup in the offseason if we're sticking with Trent anyways, because Hamdan has no experience. I'd like to see someone signed who can push Trent, not someone who's garbage and then watch the staff give Edwards carte blanche.

JD
12-05-2008, 05:10 PM
We NEED... WINNERS in this organization.

Surround Trent with people who have actually WON something important, like talkin'Stroud.

JD
12-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Because Trent has shown anything from college to now, that Kelly showed from College to his second NFL season right?

Damn the Bills for giving up so quickly on Bruce Mathison!

Damn the Bills for giving up so quickly on Billy Joe Hobert!

God, it's groundhog day. I remember having this position on Losman in 2005 and seeing these comparison threads.

Fact. Losman sucks. Fact. Edwards suck. Fact. Neither are good enough for this level. Fact. We'll continue to spin our wheels to mediocrity with either at QB. Fact. One of them is gone after this season, too bad it's not both.

We do need to sign a backup in the offseason if we're sticking with Trent anyways, because Hamdan has no experience. I'd like to see someone signed who can push Trent, not someone who's garbage and then watch the staff give Edwards carte blanche.

Why do you say "we".. you're a Browns fan so your opinion doesnt mean ****.

Trent is not finished.
He is surrounded by losers. You put him on any other team, aside from St Louis and the Raiders and I PROMISE he makes the Pro-Bowl.

It's easy to overreact because we WERE 5-1 but understand that this board could coach the Bills to a better record than 6-6 after starting 5-1.

Breathe.

Trent is the best thing we've got since Kelly.. it isn't saying much but I'm willing to give him at least 1.5 more years.

Mr. Pink
12-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Why do you say "we".. you're a Browns fan so your opinion doesnt mean ****.

Trent is not finished.
He is surrounded by losers. You put him on any other team, aside from St Louis and the Raiders and I PROMISE he makes the Pro-Bowl.

It's easy to overreact because we WERE 5-1 but understand that this board could coach the Bills to a better record than 6-6 after starting 5-1.

Breathe.

Trent is the best thing we've got since Kelly.. it isn't saying much but I'm willing to give him at least 1.5 more years.

I've been a Bills fan since the late 90's...I've made this point clear numerous times on here.

Trent is garbage. Period.

He folds under adversity and can't win in poor weather conditions, hell he can't perform competently in poor conditions.

Trent while better than JP, it ain't by much, and it's not saying anything.

The worst thing this organization ever did was hand the reigns over to Losman and jettison Bledsoe. Meanwhile now we're stuck in mediocrity trying to find a guy, and still are. YaY!

Give Mathison a chance!!!!!!

PECKERWOOD
12-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Well the point of the thread pretty much stands. If you're lobbying to cut Trent, you're an effing moron because he would atleast make a very nice backup.

FinFaninBuffalo
12-05-2008, 07:57 PM
As an observer with no horse in the race, I can honestly say that I think Edwards has potential. I never got the feeling from JP that he was comfortable playing QB in the NFL. He was always jittery looking. Edwards has shown the ability to stay composed. I understand that Edwards has struggled at times, but he has shown some good things also.

IMO, it would be a mistake to give up on Edwards. He has shown more that a number of recent QBs that aren't getting dumped from their teams: Quinn, Russell, Beck, Kolb, Stanton, etc.

Mahdi
12-05-2008, 09:00 PM
The reality is that Edwards has made mistakes but expecting a 2nd year player to be perfect on a team that isn't very good is a joke.

Let's talk about the issues:

1) Peters struggling early and edwards still won us games.

2) How many games were we missing Butler?

3) How many games without Josh Reed?

4) How many games did Lynch struggle to run the ball?

The team is not good and if you really think that throwing to Parrish, Royal, Hardy, Johnson, and "concrete hands" Lynch is helping our young QB than you don't know football.
Concrete hands? He has like 45 receptions... 2nd in the AFC. What you talking about.

And if you mean cuz Lynch dropped like 3 or 4 passes this year.... well when your QB throws to you more than the WRs there will be drops. Just like Wrs drop passes all the time.

Mr. Pink
12-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Concrete hands? He has like 45 receptions... 2nd in the AFC. What you talking about.

And if you mean cuz Lynch dropped like 3 or 4 passes this year.... well when your QB throws to you more than the WRs there will be drops. Just like Wrs drop passes all the time.

:rofl:

And Braylon Edwards doesn't have concrete hands either.

I mean he's caught the ball 42 times and more than anyone else on the team too!

Kenny
12-05-2008, 09:44 PM
As an observer with no horse in the race, I can honestly say that I think Edwards has potential. I never got the feeling from JP that he was comfortable playing QB in the NFL. He was always jittery looking. Edwards has shown the ability to stay composed. I understand that Edwards has struggled at times, but he has shown some good things also.

IMO, it would be a mistake to give up on Edwards. He has shown more that a number of recent QBs that aren't getting dumped from their teams: Quinn, Russell, Beck, Kolb, Stanton, etc.

While I agree with JP, and definately believe in sticking with TE (as long as we get competition for next year), Im not sure TE has much more upside.

With Quinn, he's got that college production. Russell, college star and a rocket for an arm. Sure Edwards has outplayed them in the very short term, but while Quinn and Russell have the 'what if' factor, there really isnt much more that I really expect from Trent.
I mean he doesnt have a rocket for an arm, he's not the most mobile, he struggles in bad weather (and that's putting it lightly)... So if he isnt going to get much better, than we're in deep **** if we dont have a contingency plan.

Mski
12-05-2008, 11:23 PM

but braylon has at least 10 more drops than lynch

PECKERWOOD
12-05-2008, 11:36 PM
but braylon has at least 10 more drops than lynch

Lynch does drop some very easy passes, but it doesn't matter because he has tremendous ability to make something happen after he catches the ball so they keep throwing it to him anyways.

acehole
12-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Lossmen is slighty better then Trent...Bledsos could not handle being blitzed up the middle and the whole league knew it.Trent cant play in the cold ...he gets hurt every 3 mins and he is not a football player...he was a product of his own hype and Trend was a great name I coined....because like most Trends they end. He and the coach who wanted him should be lead out on a rocket ship out of here. We have about 2 years before we have to dismantle this team and start again...they need to bring in a proven QB and a proven coach now....or back to crap again for 3-5 years.

quote=FunTimesYaY!]I've been a Bills fan since the late 90's...I've made this point clear numerous times on here.

Trent is garbage. Period.

He folds under adversity and can't win in poor weather conditions, hell he can't perform competently in poor conditions.

Trent while better than JP, it ain't by much, and it's not saying anything.

The worst thing this organization ever did was hand the reigns over to Losman and jettison Bledsoe. Meanwhile now we're stuck in mediocrity trying to find a guy, and still are. YaY!

Give Mathison a chance!!!!!![/quote]

Mahdi
12-06-2008, 09:14 PM

No Braylon doesnt have concrete hands... and neither does Brandon Marshall and neither does Calvin Johnson...but all of those guys are in the top 5 in drops. All it means is that they lose concentration sometimes. As for Lynch, when you are targeted that often you are bound to drop a few. I have seen him drop a couple of easy ones but I have also seen him make some tough ones, especially lately. Lynch is one of the 5 best receiving RBs in the NFL and that was one of his main strengths coming out of college so its no surprise.

PECKERWOOD
12-07-2008, 02:50 AM
I do question Trent's arm strength and that's not very settling for me, considering that he has to play at RWS late in the year. I was dead on the money (and I try not to give myself too many pats on the back) about his injury history. Ofcourse I got passed off as a licker for that comment way back when. (not to rekindle any old feuds :) but it's the truth nonetheless)

PUH. Groin injury? Either, Jauron is making up injuries to save his job or Trent is a *******, just the way I'm seeing things right now. I want to see him play through pain.

Mr. Pink
12-07-2008, 09:29 AM
No Braylon doesnt have concrete hands... and neither does Brandon Marshall and neither does Calvin Johnson...but all of those guys are in the top 5 in drops. All it means is that they lose concentration sometimes. As for Lynch, when you are targeted that often you are bound to drop a few. I have seen him drop a couple of easy ones but I have also seen him make some tough ones, especially lately. Lynch is one of the 5 best receiving RBs in the NFL and that was one of his main strengths coming out of college so its no surprise.

I love excuse makers.

Reggie Bush is targetted more, doesn't drop as many.

Top 5? :rofl:

Bush, Barber, Faulk, Forte, Tomlinson, Jones-Drew all have more catches than Lynch.

But, yeah, he's top 5. And none of them were thrown the rock 12 times in a game when their QB decided throwing down the field was illegal as well.

Mahdi
12-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I love excuse makers.

Reggie Bush is targetted more, doesn't drop as many.

Top 5? :rofl:

Bush, Barber, Faulk, Forte, Tomlinson, Jones-Drew all have more catches than Lynch.

But, yeah, he's top 5. And none of them were thrown the rock 12 times in a game when their QB decided throwing down the field was illegal as well.
So because Barber, Forte and Jones-Drew have more receptions that makes them better receivers? BTW none of them are more than 5 receptions away from Lynch AND Jones Drew has 43 like Lynch so check your stats first.

O and I bet you watch every down of Bear, Jaguar and Cowboy football to see how many passes those RBs are dropping right?? Or are you saying that none of those RBs drop passes?

And as good as Tomlinson is as a receiver I saw him drop an easy pass along the sideline against the Raiders, he must have CONCRETE hands.

Bush is more of a receiver than a RB and is split wide a ton. Dont even compare Bush to Lynch because Bush isn't a traditional RB.

Mr. Pink
12-08-2008, 01:06 AM
So because Barber, Forte and Jones-Drew have more receptions that makes them better receivers? BTW none of them are more than 5 receptions away from Lynch AND Jones Drew has 43 like Lynch so check your stats first.

O and I bet you watch every down of Bear, Jaguar and Cowboy football to see how many passes those RBs are dropping right?? Or are you saying that none of those RBs drop passes?

And as good as Tomlinson is as a receiver I saw him drop an easy pass along the sideline against the Raiders, he must have CONCRETE hands.

Bush is more of a receiver than a RB and is split wide a ton. Dont even compare Bush to Lynch because Bush isn't a traditional RB.

Still think he's top 5?

Dude can't carry Brian Westbrook's jock.

Stone Hands Lynch with another "superb" performance.

One day you'll come around and realize he's no better than McGahee.

Mr. Pink
12-08-2008, 01:10 AM
And even better...out of the top 20 RBs in receptions...Lynch is 19th in yards per catch!

Great receiving threat he is!

acehole
12-08-2008, 07:15 AM
And even better...out of the top 20 RBs in receptions...Lynch is 19th in yards per catch!

Great receiving threat he is!

One doent mean the other.

West coast teams throw a lot ,more to their backs then we do....

and have qb's that can do so better then ours.

Nothing to see here people....he pulls stuff out of his ass to prove his dumb points.

FinFaninBuffalo
12-09-2008, 08:08 AM

Lynch is an average receiver at best. He is not featured in the passing game. His receptions are mostly screens and check downs from the primary receivers. They do not have many plays designed to get Lynch down the field in the passing game. Many, many RBs are better receivers than Lynch. Here are some off the top of my head:

Ronnie Brown, Westbrook, Addai, Bush, Dunn, Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Steve Slaton, Tomlinson, Steven Jackson, Derrick Ward, Frank Gore, Kevin Faulk, Leon Washington, etc, etc.