• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Fox Sports: Week 14 Bills Team Report

Inside Slant
    Las Vegas bookies feel the Bills are probably giving away a three-point home-field advantage by playing the Miami Dolphins in Toronto on Sunday. The game presently has no line. But how about giving away 45 degrees?

That's the approximate temperature difference between playing at 27-degree Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, N.Y., and Toronto's climate-controlled 72-degree Rogers Centre, not to mention the snow in Sunday's long-range forecast.
    Hosting rival Miami in December games in Buffalo has been one of the great pleasures and advantages for the Bills over the years but that weather advantage won't exist this time.
    Buffalo (6-6) is hosting Miami (7-5) in the first regular-season NFL game ever in Canada, part of an eight-game, five-year marketing deal the Bills signed to help the club's bottom line.
    And now it's looking like the Bills may not have starting quarterback Trent Edwards, either. Edwards, who injured his groin in last week's 10-3 loss to San Francisco that put Buffalo's playoff hopes on life support, did not practice again Thursday. His condition is day-to-day, coach Dick Jauron said, and a determination on his availability likely won't come until right before kickoff.
    J.P. Losman, 0-2 in relief appearances this year, took all the snaps in practice and would start.
    Even though the Rogers Centre has a retractable roof, it will remain closed, despite a petition drive by Bills fans to make the NFL open it.
    Miami has lost seven of nine games played in Buffalo after Dec. 1, including two playoff games. When the NFL assigned the Dolphins game for Toronto, Bills fans sighed while the Dolphins celebrated. A "lucky draw" is how coach Tony Sparano put it.
    He downplayed the impact playing this game indoors instead of out will have on Sunday's game.
    "The game is a big enough game in which wherever it was, I would hope that the elements wouldn't have been a factor one way or the other," he said.
    Coach Dick Jauron, whose team had a practice run in Toronto during the preseason, beating Pittsburgh 24-21, has been reluctant to elaborate on being part of a marketing emphasis when he's got a football team to coach. That his team has lost six of its last eight games after a 4-0 start to place his job in jeopardy isn't helping matters.
    "It's not for me really to respond to," he said when asked his thoughts about playing in Toronto. "It's a game that's been scheduled all year; we knew we were playing there; we knew we were playing the Dolphins there. And we'll go up there and play. It's a big game for us and it's a big game for them."
    Bills wide receiver Lee Evans wasn't afraid to say what everybody knows to be true.
    "It's just like us going down there in September and playing in the heat, it's tough for us, and it's tough for them coming here and playing in December," Evans said. "So we'll lose a little edge."
    That said, "I think it's going to be a tremendous atmosphere," said Evans. "A lot of people are excited about it and have been talking about it for a long time. Going up there and doing some promotional things up there, visiting with the media, a lot of people are excited, so it should be a lot of fun."
    For cynics -- and there are many amongst even Bills players -- playing a "home" game in Toronto may be a good thing for Buffalo. The team has lost three consecutive home games at Ralph Wilson Stadium and it has a losing record under Jauron in December.
    "It can't hurt us," defensive end Chris Kelsay said. "We're not winning here."
    Defensive tackle Marcus Stroud, who played most of his NFL football in Jacksonville, Fla., is one Bill looking forward to one less game outdoors this time of year. Eliminating a weather factor should make for a cleaner football game.
    "It's going to benefit everybody," Stroud said. "I guarantee you won't find any guys in our locker room that are complaining about going to play in a dome, so it'll work both ways. We're looking at it this way: Whether we would have played inside, outside, we're looking at this as a must-win game, and that's how we're going to approach it." These are two teams headed in opposite directions, Miami on a 5-1 roll since beating the Bills 25-16...

See the latest NFL teams' news, highlights, analysis, schedules, stats, scores and fantasy updates. Get the best NFL football team coverage at FOX Sports.
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Re: Fox Sports: Week 14 Bills Team Report

Notes and Quotes
    --The Bills came away with a healthy dose of new respect for Miami QB Chad Pennington, an old nemesis with the New York Jets, in their first meeting. Pennington was a splendid 22 of 30 for 314 yards and a touchdown. While noted for his short, accurate throws, Pennington went up top several times on Buffalo, with Ted Ginn Jr. his favorite target that day with seven catches for 175 yards. Pennington is one Dolphin that would not have been fazed by an outdoor game in Buffalo. "Buffalo presents a lot of different weather scenarios," he said. "Playing indoors, I think it's not an advantage for either team. I'm sure both teams are glad they're playing indoors. Secondly, I don't think we know what to expect. I think what fans in Canada should expect is a top-notch football game. An AFC East division game that means a lot and two teams that are fighting for their lives and doing everything they can to try to win a game and stay in the playoff hunt."

--Coach Dick Jauron's record with the Bills in nearly three seasons has fallen to 20-24 with his team's recent struggles. Many media and fans are calling for him to be fired. How's he holding up? "It's part of the deal, clearly when you don't win and you know when you don't win that there's going to be criticism and it's going to be deserved," Jauron said Wednesday. "So you go on, you try to improve and you try to do the things that'll make everybody happy, and that's win football games."
    The Bills refuse to confirm reports that they have given Jauron a three-year contract extension. --The Bills went from scoring 54 points against Kansas City to three against San Francisco and players are still at a loss to explain why. The Chiefs defense is ranked 32nd in the NFL -- last -- but the 49ers is a less-than daunting 23rd and it ranks 27th in points allowed. "We had plenty of opportunities to score a lot of points, but we just didn't do it and as close as we were to the goal line, the opportunities were right there, but plays just didn't get made," WR Lee Evans said. "I don't know exactly, it wasn't all one thing or another, but bottom line, being able to run it down in the red zone really helps your passing game."...

Comment

• madness
      • Apr 2003

Strategy and Personnel
      DE Aaron Schobel, who has missed seven consecutive games with a left foot injury, returned to practice Wednesday and went again Thursday. That creates the possibility that he'll play Sunday in Toronto against Miami but he needs to see how the foot responds on Friday and Saturday leading up to kickoff. Schobel injured the ligament that holds the big toe in place.

"I'm hopeful I'll play before the year's out. I'm not saying this week," Schobel told reporters Wednesday. "But it's definitely improved and that's the main thing. ... I'm glad that the thing's going to heal on its own and I won't have to have surgery."
      Coach Dick Jauron has been waiting patiently for his top pass rusher to get healthy. The Bills rank 23rd in sacks with 21 with Ryan Denney, Schobel's replacement, leading the team with four.
      "We'll wait and see how he responds and go through the next couple of days," Jauron said. "But he did go through the practice and he did push it, I would say pretty hard."

PLAYER NOTES
      --QB Trent Edwards sat out practice Thursday with a groin injury for a second consecutive day. A decision on his status for Sunday's game against Miami in Toronto likely won't come until just before kickoff, but missing practice time this week could weigh into the decision.
      --QB J.P. Losman would get the start Sunday in Toronto against Miami if Trent Edwards' groin injury keeps him sidelined. Losman is 26 of 38 for 313 yards, one TD and one INT in relief appearances this season. He hasn't started a game since November 2007.
      --RB Marshawn Lynch was limited in practice Thursday with back spasms. Lynch could barely bend over to pick up a ball, but coach Dick Jauron expressed confidence his top rusher will play Sunday against Miami in Toronto.
      --WR Josh Reed has caught a pass in 24 consecutive games, including 10 catches in his past two games. More than 61 percent of his 36 catches this year have resulted in first downs.
      --TE Robert Royal, who missed last Sunday's loss to San Francisco with a hamstring injury, did not practice again Thursday. He may still be a game away. He has a career-best 29 catches and the Bills' running game needs his blocking.
      --SS Donte Whitner, who has missed two consecutive games and three overall with a shoulder injury, practiced for a second straight day Thursday and is on course to return to the lineup. The Bills play Sunday against Miami in Toronto.
      --CB Jabari Greer continues to recover from a knee injury that has cost him his last two starts. He did not practice again Thursday.
      --DE Aaron Schobel, who has missed his last seven starts with a foot injury, practiced for a second straight day Thursday and appears on course to return to the lineup. A final decision likely won't come until game time Sunday in Toronto, where the Bills face Miami.
      --Bills CB Terrence McGee, who is healthy again and playing well after a knee injury, is eager for Sunday's rematch against Miami WR Ted Ginn Jr. Ginn caught seven passes for 175 yards in the year's first meeting. --Bills KO return man Leodis McKelvin is second in the league with a 29.4-yard average. He is poised for a big game this week facing Miami's KO coverage unit, which ranks last in the league....

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

Meanwhile, if Losman gets the start, it'll be a prime opportunity to showcase himself for free agency. He's a free agent and won't be returning to Buffalo unless something unforeseen occurs.
        He hasn't started a game since late in the 2007 season and has a career 10-22 record. Taking over for Edwards in the second half against the 49ers last week, he was 11 of 17 for just 93 yards and failed to produce a touchdown on three trips into the red zone.
        Losman's inability to make quick decisions and deliver the ball accurately -- the reasons he lost his starting job to Edwards -- was still evident as he was sacked three times.
        "Personally, it's a great opportunity for me to get a chance to play and do well for numerous reasons, but I don't really think about it," Losman said. "Right now, we're very close. I want these guys to experience winning. I want to experience winning. We're a very, very good football team and we just have to keep putting it together and we have an opportunity right in front of our face to do so. I personally want to do well for them, for my teammates. Collectively, that's the closest thing to your family." Added Losman: "Everyone knows we have four games left, we need all four. The playoffs basically start now for us."
        Ouch. As much as people rag on him I still like the fact he's a team first guy.

Comment

Working...
        X