PDA

View Full Version : A radical shakeup is required

kernowboy
12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I thought we were playoff bound after the first 6 games but now I am not certain we’ll even make them L In light of this I think a radical shakeup is required.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Starting at Head Coach. I like Jauron but he has taken this team as far as it will go. We might look to see if Fewell can step up but personally I’d offer a very large cheque to Steve Spagnuolo.<o:p></o:p>
With our roster, we definitely face the following decisions. I have included the Free agents according to KFFL and my personnel decision if I was the front office.<o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UFA</st1:place></st1:City><o:p></o:p>
Gibran Hamdan – not resigned – replaced in draft<o:p></o:p>
JP Losman – not resigned – replaced by veteran like Orton<o:p></o:p>
Roscoe Parrish - resign
Kirk Chambers – not resigned – replaced in draft<o:p></o:p>
Melvin Fowler – not resigned – replaced by veteran like Birk<o:p></o:p>
Duke Preston – not resigned – replaced in draft<o:p></o:p>
Angelo Crowell – not resigned – replaced in draft<o:p></o:p>
Jabari Greer – not resigned – will ask for too much – we have depth<o:p></o:p>
George Wilson - resign
RFA<o:p></o:p>
Copeland Bryan – not resigned<o:p></o:p>
Fred Jackson - resign
Justin Jenkins – not resigned<o:p></o:p>
John DiGorgio - resign
Keith Ellison - resign
Major needs<o:p></o:p>
Center: With Fowler off hopefully, a possible upgrade could be the veteran Matt Birk. Whilst he’ll be 33 in July, there should be 3years left in the tank. We need a veteran here to assist a still young QB. Saturday and Meester are also potentially available.<o:p></o:p>
OLB: Do we resign Crowell or let him go? Will Lehman become starting material? The better LBs around are guys for the middle so does Poz get moved outside. A high draft pick might be required<o:p></o:p>
DE: Lose Schobel and we have a world of trouble. Will Ellis be better after a year in the pros? Peppers is the outstanding name but will command an outstanding price. A Day 1 pick here<o:p></o:p>
TE: A seemingly perennial need but little in Free agency. A high pick in the draft but we must be careful not to overpay. I can see Royal being the starter again to begin with.<o:p></o:p>
QB: A back up AND a development prospect are required, fortunately there is depth at both positions and with the frailty of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Trent</st1:City></st1:place> as a team we might be quite appealing to the likes of Orton and Ramsey who probably hanker after starting gigs<o:p></o:p>
LT: Peters has been poor. With the prospect of maybe another hold out, we should cut our losses, trade him for a R2 pick and see if we can pick up someone in a deep tackle class. <o:p></o:p>
RB: Whilst his stats look good, Lynch’s performances have not really set any games alight. Does he have the bulk for a genuine power game? We can blame the line but …… Steven Jackson is 20lbs heavier and possibly available.<o:p></o:p>
K: Considering what we pay Liandell he should be perfect inside the 50<o:p></o:p>
My recommended surgery would be:<o:p></o:p>
1. The Rams will franchise <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Jackson</st1:place></st1:City> so trade for him with Lynch off to St Louis: they will take the deal because of Lynch’s lower contract. The <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Jacksons (Steven and Fred)</st1:place></st1:City> will give a large and little attack at the Ralph Wilson. We need Steven Jackson to mash holes allowing Fred to be a genuine change of pace.<o:p></o:p>
2. Trade Peters for a R2 pick. He may be athletic but it doesn't compensate for sulking or lack of even college playing experience at this key position
3. Sign Matt Birk on a 3 year deal paying up to $15m if necessary. He has kept himself in shape and should be around for the duration of the contract.<o:p></o:p>
4. Get Kyle Orton in to push <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> and maybe become a starter as he is only 26<o:p></o:p>
R1. Everette Brown DE (replacing Denney)
Can play LE and RE <o:p></o:p>
R2. Eben Britton LT (replacing Peters with the pick)
Starter from Day1<o:p></o:p>
R2. Chase Coffman TE (future starter)
Better than Rucker<o:p></o:p>
R3. Marcus Freeman OLB (replacing Crowell)
Can start or be a quality back up behind Ellison and eventually start<o:p></o:p>
R4: Todd Brandstater QB (3rd QB)
Same size as Edwards (and Orton)
R5: A Q Shipley C
A youngster to learn behind Birk<o:p></o:p>
R6: Sam Swank K
At worst a kick in the pants for Rian<o:p></o:p>
R7: Scott Burley G/T
Decent depth with starting experience at LT but can play the right side inside and out<o:p></o:p>
<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UFA</st1:place></st1:City>: Vaughn Martin DT
From <st1:place w:st="on">Western Ontario</st1:place>, but has the size and definitely the speed. If McCargo is released he can develop in the rotation<o:p></o:p>
New starters will be Britton*(LT), Birk (C), <st1:place w:st="on">S Jackson</st1:place> (RB) with maybe Coffman* (TE) starting pretty soon afterwards, whilst on defence, Brown*(LE) and Freeman* (SLB or WLB) may start very quickly.

I know the situation will alter before the 2009 season but if the decisions were tomorrow this is how I would go.

yordad
12-05-2008, 04:43 PM
<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
Roscoe Parrish - resign already been extended
Kirk Chambers – not resigned – replaced in draft you want to let cheap experienced depth walk and use a draft pick to grab inexperienced depth? I'll take Chambers.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>Angelo Crowell – If resigning was an opion, it is one I would take.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
TE: A seemingly perennial need but little in Free agency. A high pick in the draft but we must be careful not to overpay. I can see Royal being the starter again to begin with. I expect Fine or Schouman to be above Royal in depth next year. <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
LT: Peters has been poor. With the prospect of maybe another hold out, we should cut our losses, trade him for a R2 pick and see if we can pick up someone in a deep tackle class. Um.... No f'in way. A 1st and third, and we can talk. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>1. The Rams will franchise <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Jackson</st1:place></st1:city> so trade for him with Lynch off to St Louis: they will take the deal because of Lynch’s lower contract. The <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Jacksons (Steven and Fred)</st1:place></st1:city> will give a large and little attack at the Ralph Wilson. We need Steven Jackson to mash holes allowing Fred to be a genuine change of pace. Um... No f'in way.
2. Trade Peters for a R2 pick. He may be athletic but it doesn't compensate for sulking or lack of even college playing experience at this key position Um.. see above.<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
Don't take offense, I deleted the stuff I agreed with, or didn't have strong feelings about.

PECKERWOOD
12-05-2008, 05:00 PM
1st off, you're very right about TE. WE NEED A TIGHT END HERE IN BUFFALO! Any Bills fan understands how freaking cold and nasty it is playing at RWS late in the year. A good TE opens up those short and intermediate routes for the QB, that's a MUST for RWS late in the year. I agree with your choice too, Coffman would fit in great with our Buffalonian culture.

I disagree STRONGLY with your choice for head coach. A promotion needs to be given from within the organization. Bad teams don't go on 5 game winning streaks to start off the season, a HC from outside of the organization would mean total rebuilding, all over again. Promote Bobby April, let him be our guy. He is a fiery coach, and his 1/3rd of the team has always been prepared since he's been here. Bobby has earned his chance.

BTW, TRADE JASON PETERS FOR A 2ND ROUND PICK?????? ARE YOU MAD?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Also, Roscoe Parrish IS NOT a starting WR in the NFL. I would trade him for a 3rd rounder with no regrets.

Lastly, you're wrong about Kirk Chambers, he is a great football player and a true road grader in the run game. That guy is as strong as an ox, he needs to stay here.

BillsOwnAll
12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
how can you NOT like marshawn? He has gotten the stats when he gets over 20 carries. Your just mad he doesnt get 100 yards games all the time. But you need to step out of your own world and realize that when you get 15 carries a game you have to average over 7 yards a carry. When you find a back that can do that...ill think about letting lynch walk. I dont think we need a total shakeup. Were not far away from the playoffs. Decent coach Decent TE. Edwards will have another year experience which is overlooked. This is his first year as a full time starter not many do good. And hes doing above average.

PECKERWOOD
12-05-2008, 05:55 PM
People are really underestimating the value of a quality TE, we don't play in a dome, ffs. We play in RWS where conditions get absolutely nasty later in the year. I went to the San Fran game this year and it was fuggin cold, I went to the Giants game last year and that was the coldest I've ever been in my life. A big vanilla pass catching gorilla helps in situations like these. Put dried up rasins like Roscoe Parrish as your major WR's and towards the end of the year at the Ralph, they start dropping them passes. ( Slighlty racist but very true analysis. )

P.S.: How are you not going to atleast attempt to try and resign Jabari Greer? You make alot of stupid assertions in this thread, usually I love reading your posts, sorry man.

patmoran2006
12-05-2008, 06:00 PM
to be honest, i stopped reading when you got Madden'ish and said trade Jackson for Lynch.

And I thought we extended Roscoe beyond just this season? (mistake BTW, he sucks as a WR. He's had one game over 60 yds in his career)

He's a gimmick player. Great punt returner (doesnt get many chances though) and makes the occasional play at WR, but he shouldnt' be on the field more than a few times per game at WR.

PECKERWOOD
12-05-2008, 06:07 PM
to be honest, i stopped reading when you got Madden'ish and said trade Jackson for Lynch.

And I thought we extended Roscoe beyond just this season? (mistake BTW, he sucks as a WR. He's had one game over 60 yds in his career)

He's a gimmick player. Great punt returner (doesnt get many chances though) and makes the occasional play at WR, but he shouldnt' be on the field more than a few times per game at WR.

100%, right on.

If we want to turn this into a fantasy thread, trade Parrish to Atlanta for a 3rd rounder. Bills win, and Parrish has a system where he can thrive in.

kernowboy
12-05-2008, 06:21 PM
We don't attempt to resign Greer, because a number of teams will throw money in his direction, money that can be better spend elsewhere especially with depth at CB in McGee, McKelvin, Youboty and Corner plus Fox

I resigned Parrish for his return skills in the knowledge he is our 4th receiver behind Evans, Hardy and Reed. I never said he was to be a starter but we should resign him so we can avoid using McGee/McKelvin in the return game.

As for Lynch he has too many carries where he makes zero yardage. This means the coordinators go to Plan B maybe too quickly - his average is a mix of decent gains and zero gains. That is a hard way to move the chains on the ground. S Jackson is a back better suited to a cold weather game and he and Fred Jackson could be a Jacobs/Bradshaw combination. I just think Lynch lacks the bulk to give us a consistent ground game forcing the offence to throw too early. There are stats and then there are stats.

If you look at Peters, and players traded at his potential level, most clubs start off asking for a big return and end up compromising. Jared Allen went for little more than a 1st and 3rd and he's a far bigger difference maker than Peters. Jason will sit out again in the summer massively disrupting the line, so do we pay him more than his performances deserve or do we look to take a different route? We might be able to get more than a R2 - possibly an extra lower pick or something in 2009 - but a player like Faulk only commanded a 2nd and 5th. I think Peters might have reached the level of his potential, and without constant mentoring will always be slightly unfamilar and unnatural with the positon. A college LT like Britton is taller than Peters, almost as mobile and possibly already has as much natural experience for the role as Peters.

What can be demonstrated is having him sit out camp leaves our line in a terrible situation. If he is not prepared to play then we need to think of what his value to the team will be if traded.

Chambers will only ever be a career backup but similarily lower round draft picks on the line occasionally become steals like Tauscher at Green Bay and we cannot afford to have a limited veteran on the bench taking the place of a potentially talented rookie.

Patti120
12-05-2008, 06:37 PM
A very well thought out post but definitely a no on the Lynch and Peters trade.

I'm going to go rifle off some knuckle children and think about this and maybe come back and post more later.

PECKERWOOD
12-05-2008, 06:46 PM
A very well thought out post but definitely a no on the Lynch and Peters trade.

I'm going to go rifle off some knuckle children and think about this and maybe come back and post more later.

WTF.

GIVE JBPAUL HIS AVATAR BACK PATTI, COME UP WITH YOUR OWN!

Patti120
12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't even know how to change Avatar's lol! I think there used to be a bunch of options to choose from (which is how I think I got the one of Barney) and I remember trying to look at the other options at some other point but I think they are all gone. Plus I'm too computer illiterate to come up with my own so I think I'm stuck!

kernowboy
12-06-2008, 04:48 AM
You look at the Giants and the Shockey trade. Are the NYG a better or worse team without a 'superstar' given away for a pittance?

Sometimes a Front Office need to make a bold and initially fan unfriendly move. Are we Lynch/Peters or Bills fans - the two may not be compatable.

An expression in soccer is no player is bigger than the (needs of the) team.

yordad
12-06-2008, 07:03 AM
An expression in soccer is no player is bigger than the (needs of the) team.Yeah, but you don't trade the backbone of the team.

shelby
12-06-2008, 08:24 AM
well thought out post, and i thank you.
i disagee with the Lynch and Peters points.

Don't y'all think the Dolphins will hang on to Spagnuolo after the season they're having?

PECKERWOOD
12-06-2008, 12:02 PM
We don't attempt to resign Greer, because a number of teams will throw money in his direction, money that can be better spend elsewhere especially with depth at CB in McGee, McKelvin, Youboty and Corner plus Fox

I resigned Parrish for his return skills in the knowledge he is our 4th receiver behind Evans, Hardy and Reed. I never said he was to be a starter but we should resign him so we can avoid using McGee/McKelvin in the return game.

As for Lynch he has too many carries where he makes zero yardage. This means the coordinators go to Plan B maybe too quickly - his average is a mix of decent gains and zero gains. That is a hard way to move the chains on the ground. S Jackson is a back better suited to a cold weather game and he and Fred Jackson could be a Jacobs/Bradshaw combination. I just think Lynch lacks the bulk to give us a consistent ground game forcing the offence to throw too early. There are stats and then there are stats.

If you look at Peters, and players traded at his potential level, most clubs start off asking for a big return and end up compromising. Jared Allen went for little more than a 1st and 3rd and he's a far bigger difference maker than Peters. Jason will sit out again in the summer massively disrupting the line, so do we pay him more than his performances deserve or do we look to take a different route? We might be able to get more than a R2 - possibly an extra lower pick or something in 2009 - but a player like Faulk only commanded a 2nd and 5th. I think Peters might have reached the level of his potential, and without constant mentoring will always be slightly unfamilar and unnatural with the positon. A college LT like Britton is taller than Peters, almost as mobile and possibly already has as much natural experience for the role as Peters.

What can be demonstrated is having him sit out camp leaves our line in a terrible situation. If he is not prepared to play then we need to think of what his value to the team will be if traded.

Chambers will only ever be a career backup but similarily lower round draft picks on the line occasionally become steals like Tauscher at Green Bay and we cannot afford to have a limited veteran on the bench taking the place of a potentially talented rookie.

The only way I would consider trading Jason Peters is for a 1st and a 2nd, it might take even more to get me to budge. I was very hard on Peters after that holdout, I'm sure many of you remember that, he just was sloppy at the start of the season ~ lately, however, he has been a dominating force. Peters is back in All-pro form.

BTW, you're wrong on Chambers. During Peters holdout he dominated at RT, he did alot of good things.

trapezeus
12-06-2008, 12:24 PM
well thought out post, and i thank you.
i disagee with the Lynch and Peters points.

Don't y'all think the Dolphins will hang on to Spagnuolo after the season they're having?

spagnuolo is the Giants DC.....he got a lot of praise after thesuperbowl for shutting down brady.

baalworship
12-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Jason Peters is one of the few premier players the Bills have. He had a great game last week and he has not yet reached his potential. No way would I trade him.

Jan Reimers
12-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Marshawn Lynch is arguably the most ferocious running back in the league. He should not be part of any major overhaul discussion.

OpIv37
12-06-2008, 05:30 PM
You're talking about replacing the ENTIRE OL, including most of the back-ups. I don't think that's a good idea at all. Personally, I think we should re-sign Chambers. When Peters went down I thought we were screwed, but he proved to be an adequate back up and he won't be expensive.

As far as Peters, we need to keep him too. We'll have to pay him in the long run, but he's been excellent the last few games. The dude still has it- he just screwed himself (and the team) with his long holdout. Quality LT's are probably the hardest position to staff, and I'm really sick of this team developing talent just to let guys walk. Enough of being the farm system for the rest of the NFL. Keep him around.

And Lynch is the only guy on this team who consistently gives a ****. The guy gives 110% on EVERY play. He NEVER goes down with the initial contact and is constantly pushing guys backwards and carrying guys downfield. I hope the guy plays his whole career in Buffalo.

BillsOwnAll
12-06-2008, 05:48 PM
You're talking about replacing the ENTIRE OL, including most of the back-ups. I don't think that's a good idea at all. Personally, I think we should re-sign Chambers. When Peters went down I thought we were screwed, but he proved to be an adequate back up and he won't be expensive.

As far as Peters, we need to keep him too. We'll have to pay him in the long run, but he's been excellent the last few games. The dude still has it- he just screwed himself (and the team) with his long holdout. Quality LT's are probably the hardest position to staff, and I'm really sick of this team developing talent just to let guys walk. Enough of being the farm system for the rest of the NFL. Keep him around.

And Lynch is the only guy on this team who consistently gives a ****. The guy gives 110% on EVERY play. He NEVER goes down with the initial contact and is constantly pushing guys backwards and carrying guys downfield. I hope the guy plays his whole career in Buffalo.

...there is a god....Op i 100% completly agree with everything you said.

BillsOwnAll
12-06-2008, 05:49 PM
especially the lynch part.