PDA

View Full Version : A few quick comments on the highlights from the Lightning game:

OpIv37
12-07-2008, 06:46 AM
1. Derrick Roy finally got it going.

2. Hecht didn't exactly look good in the fight, but it's good to see some toughness from someone other than Goose and Mair.

3. WTF is up with "Bolts" on the jersey? Has any team in sports ever put a nickname on the jersey rather that the actual team name?

4. The Sabres still lack a killer instinct. Every time they scored, they gave up a quick goal to let TB back into it. It was just like the 7-4 loss to Boston, only TB sucks so they got away with it this time.

5. Gerbe wasn't in the highlights at all. Did he play? How did he look? Hopefully he was watching St Louis because that's how he'll have to play.

Dr. Lecter
12-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Look at Lecavaleirs's face - Hecht tagged him.

Gerbe looked OK. Created a few chances. He was on the ice for two Sabres goals.

Dozerdog
12-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Most third Jerseys this year look aweful. Half of them look like a 5th grader designed them as a homework assignment that was completed on the bus ride to school the day it was due.

No imagination.

Philagape
12-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Gerbe showed spunk and some creativity, like sudden stops and backhand passes, and he drew a penalty. It was a nice first NHL game.

And I like the Bolts jerseys :couch:

Dr. Lecter
12-07-2008, 07:42 AM
And I like the Bolts jerseys :couch:

:negrep:

I would line the cat's litter box with those jerseys and that is about it.

hydro
12-07-2008, 07:45 AM
I thought Gerbe looked decent for his first game. Made some passes to the front of the net that I didn't anticipate. Looked like he fit right in.

Philagape
12-07-2008, 07:49 AM

Bolts >>>>>>>>>> Slugs

SABURZFAN
12-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Bolts >>>>>>>>>> Slugs

:rofl:

OpIv37
12-07-2008, 08:27 AM

I'd tell you what I'd do to a Leafs jersey but then this thread would end up in No-TOS.

rbochan
12-07-2008, 08:44 AM
...3. WTF is up with "Bolts" on the jersey? Has any team in sports ever put a nickname on the jersey rather that the actual team name?...

Ottawa has "Sens" on their 3rds. Be glad the Sabres' 3rds don't say "Slugs".

Nighthawk
12-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I thought Gerbe looked decent for his first game. Made some passes to the front of the net that I didn't anticipate. Looked like he fit right in.

I like the kid and think he will be good. Ruff just needs to play him with the right players and not stick him with Gaustad or Mair and he should be OK.

ZacGriffi~82
12-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I really like what Gerbe does to our line up. He gives us two legitimate scoring lines:

Vanek - Hecht - Pominville
Gerbe - Roy - Stafford

Stafford looks like he might finally be turning it on. That second line looked dangerous.

OpIv37
12-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Ottawa has "Sens" on their 3rds. Be glad the Sabres' 3rds don't say "Slugs".

That's annoying but IMO not as bad, because at least "Sens" is part of "Senators". Going from "Lightning" to "Bolts" is a huge stretch. Why don't the Rangers just write "Broadway BlueShirts" on their 3rd jerseys?

RockStar36
12-08-2008, 06:20 AM
I like Gerbe. He didn't make any huge mistakes and finished +2.

THATHURMANATOR
12-08-2008, 09:00 AM
1. Derrick Roy finally got it going.

2. Hecht didn't exactly look good in the fight, but it's good to see some toughness from someone other than Goose and Mair.

3. WTF is up with "Bolts" on the jersey? Has any team in sports ever put a nickname on the jersey rather that the actual team name?

4. The Sabres still lack a killer instinct. Every time they scored, they gave up a quick goal to let TB back into it. It was just like the 7-4 loss to Boston, only TB sucks so they got away with it this time.

5. Gerbe wasn't in the highlights at all. Did he play? How did he look? Hopefully he was watching St Louis because that's how he'll have to play.
1) Agreed
2) I am happy he manned up.
3) I don't care about jerseys
4) I was thinking the exact same thing
5) He played as much as anyone on a line with Roy and Stafford was a plus 2 and had 4 shots on goal.

RockStar36
12-08-2008, 09:58 AM
This thread is a pretty good example of why highlights don't tell the whole story.

OpIv37
12-08-2008, 11:06 AM
This thread is a pretty good example of why highlights don't tell the whole story.

no kidding- that's why I started the thread instead of basing conclusions on the highlights alone.

RockStar36
12-08-2008, 11:16 AM
no kidding- that's why I started the thread instead of basing conclusions on the highlights alone.

The good news is that you can watch the game tonight instead of highlights. The bad news is that you're stuck with the Crosby/Malkin love fest tonight.

DraftBoy
12-08-2008, 11:48 AM
is tonight's game on Vs??

OpIv37
12-08-2008, 12:00 PM
is tonight's game on Vs??

Yes.

The good thing is that people like you and I will be able to see it. The bad thing is that we have to listen to the announcers yap about Ovechkin, the Canadiens and 10 other things that have nothing to do with the game while the idiot VS camera guy loses the puck, ends up filming the wrong end of the ice, and has to zoom out to find the action (and that will happen at least 6 times).

Oh well, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

RockStar36
12-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Yes.

The good thing is that people like you and I will be able to see it. The bad thing is that we have to listen to the announcers yap about Ovechkin, the Canadiens and 10 other things that have nothing to do with the game while the idiot VS camera guy loses the puck, ends up filming the wrong end of the ice, and has to zoom out to find the action (and that will happen at least 6 times).

Oh well, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I had to watch the Panthers and Lightning broadcast this weekend and they were equally as bad. I noticed more specifically during the Lightning game that they were just chit chatting during the play and not really "calling" the game.

I'm starting to wonder if RJ is one of the few announcers in the league who actually calls a game. I know in previous seasons when listening to the games I could easily follow because of how well he called it.

I also noticed during some football games yesterday they were doing the same thing. It's really getting annoying.

DraftBoy
12-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I can deal with crappy annoucing, Ill have it on mute more than likely anyways.

OpIv37
12-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I had to watch the Panthers and Lightning broadcast this weekend and they were equally as bad. I noticed more specifically during the Lightning game that they were just chit chatting during the play and not really "calling" the game.

I'm starting to wonder if RJ is one of the few announcers in the league who actually calls a game. I know in previous seasons when listening to the games I could easily follow because of how well he called it.

I also noticed during some football games yesterday they were doing the same thing. It's really getting annoying.

I think a lot of the local guys are like RJ and are on radio and TV simultaneously, so they do a decent job with play by play. XM only picks up the home team's broadcast, so I've heard a lot of the local guys. It sounds like most of them are doing play by play based on how much they're talking.

I think the guys who do TV only assume the viewers know what's going on so they don't bother actually calling the game unless there's a big hit or a breakaway or a flurry in front of the net. It's just laziness- either that, or they like having a platform to spout their hockey knowledge to the nation, so they're more interested in spewing their opinions on Shaun Avery or the neutral zone trap than the actions on the ice.

RockStar36
12-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I think a lot of the local guys are like RJ and are on radio and TV simultaneously, so they do a decent job with play by play. XM only picks up the home team's broadcast, so I've heard a lot of the local guys. It sounds like most of them are doing play by play based on how much they're talking.

I think the guys who do TV only assume the viewers know what's going on so they don't bother actually calling the game unless there's a big hit or a breakaway or a flurry in front of the net. It's just laziness- either that, or they like having a platform to spout their hockey knowledge to the nation, so they're more interested in spewing their opinions on Shaun Avery or the neutral zone trap than the actions on the ice.

I hate when the announcers just talk during the play. Obviously I can follow what is going on but it's annoying and distracting to have casual conversations during the game like they have.

While we're on the topic of things that are annoying, VS interviewing coaches/players during the game really bugs the hell out of me. Just let them play.

OpIv37
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I hate when the announcers just talk during the play. Obviously I can follow what is going on but it's annoying and distracting to have casual conversations during the game like they have.

While we're on the topic of things that are annoying, VS interviewing coaches/players during the game really bugs the hell out of me. Just let them play.

yeah I hate that too- I've actually seen them do that where one team scores and the goal is controversial so it goes to review, and meanwhile they just keep showing a recorded interview without even acknowledging what's going on with the game.