PDA

View Full Version : I didn't realize that Jauron won the toss and chose to kick?

HHURRICANE
12-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Uhhh, isn't their an NFL rule that says if you are this big a pussy you are automatically fired?

hydro
12-08-2008, 08:52 AM
EVERYBODY DOES IT!

/thread

NJFINSFAN1
Pretty much every team has been doing that all year. Defer to the second half.

THATHURMANATOR
I don't have a problem with this at all.

Forward_Lateral
12-08-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't get what the big deal is here. For all the things Jauron gets criticized for, this is one that he deserves credit for. You idiots (the ones whining about this) do realize that the Bills got the ball to start the 2nd half, don't you?

LtFinFan66
12-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Defering is normal. To knock Dick for that is stupid:down:

HHURRICANE
12-08-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't get what the big deal is here. For all the things Jauron gets criticized for, this is one that he deserves credit for. You idiots (the ones whining about this) do realize that the Bills got the ball to start the 2nd half, don't you?

I'd be curious to see what our record is like with getting the ball first vs. not.

bflobarry
12-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Defering is normal under normal circumstances. For the 2 games prior to yesterdays diaster, we defered also, and in both games our pathetic defense immediately gave up a touchdown. Last week, we never recovered, and yesterday, we didn't either. If you have a strong "D" and feel you'll get a quick stop, you defer. If your season hangs in the balance, and you have a chance to smack the other team right away, get some points, and utilize your home field advantage, you don't defer. After this strategy blew up in our face last week, I was shocked that the Corpse opted once again to let our opponent jump out to an early lead, which they promptly did. It was an idiotic call under the circumstances, and one reason of many that the Corpse will not be here next year.

HHURRICANE
12-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Defering is normal under normal circumstances. For the 2 games prior to yesterdays diaster, we defered also, and in both games our pathetic defense immediately gave up a touchdown. Last week, we never recovered, and yesterday, we didn't either. If you have a strong "D" and feel you'll get a quick stop, you defer. If your season hangs in the balance, and you have a chance to smack the other team right away, get some points, and utilize your home field advantage, you don't defer. After this strategy blew up in our face kast week, I was shocked that the Corpse opted once again to let our opponent jump out to an early lead, which they promptly did. It was an idiotic call under the circumstances, and one reason of many that the Corpse will not be here next year.

Yes, and the Buffalo News agrees with you and me this morning. Good post!!

TacklingDummy
12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Pittsburgh deferred to the 2nd half yesterday also. They got the ball first in the 2nd half and in the 4th QTR Dallas had the wind in their face.

Jan Reimers
12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
I don't buy the "Every other team does, so we should, too" approach. When things are turning to complete crap, why not show some confidence in your offense and the intestinal fortitude to do something different from everyone else?

SabreEleven
12-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Pittsburgh has a defense.

hydro
12-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Are we grasping at straws here or what?

Philagape
12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I wanted the ball. No weather, so no reason whatsoever to not want it.

Ebenezer
12-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Defering is normal. To knock Dick for that is stupid:down:
I thought the reason for deferring was to set up the field direction and be able to choose the wind. Didn't Dickie realize they were in a dome?

cocamide
12-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Pittsburgh has a defense.

We've given up a total of 26 points in the last two games. Our D can't be blamed for anything (at least with regards to the last two games).

RockStar36
12-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Deferring to the second half is one of the few smart things he has done all season. I've been saying for years that it is the smarter move.

DraftBoy
12-08-2008, 10:09 AM
You always defer, you put confidence into your D to light up their O and then you get first crack at their D after the halftime with your new adjustments in place.

HHURRICANE
12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
You always defer, you put confidence into your D to light up their O and then you get first crack at their D after the halftime with your new adjustments in place.

Yeah I remeber doing that all of the time in the 90s. Kelly never wanted the ball.

hydro
12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah I remeber doing that all of the time in the 90s. Kelly never wanted the ball.
I doubt that. I believe the rules were just changed so that the team that defers can get the ball in the second half. The old rules made it so that if you defer the other team had the choice of kicking or receiving in the second half. That would be an obvious choice of course, and the reason why everyone who won the toss chose to receive.

RockStar36
12-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I doubt that. I believe the rules were just changed so that the team that defers can get the ball in the second half. The old rules made it so that if you defer the other team had the choice of kicking or receiving in the second half. That would be an obvious choice of course, and the reason why everyone who won the toss chose to receive.

yay, intelligence!

Typ0
12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
the reason to defer is not about defensive confidence or wind direction...it's about time of possession. When you defer you are giving yourself an additional possession in the second half and setting yourself up to win the time of possession in the second half. This sure sounds very desireable to me! Would you rather have an additional possession in the first half when the two minute warning means you are going to get a break or in the second half when the two minute warning means the game is on the line? I think the second half is the obvious choice as this levies you more control over the outcome of the game.

RockStar36
12-08-2008, 10:47 AM
the reason to defer is not about defensive confidence or wind direction...it's about time of possession. When you defer you are giving yourself an additional possession in the second half and setting yourself up to win the time of possession in the second half. This sure sounds very desireable to me! Would you rather have an additional possession in the first half when the two minute warning means you are going to get a break or in the second half when the two minute warning means the game is on the line? I think the second half is the obvious choice as this levies you more control over the outcome of the game.

I don't disagree with your reasoning but putting confidence in your defense is also an advantage.

When you defer to the second half you're putting your defense on the field right away. Assuming they can force a punt, that puts a ton of confidence into your defense along with knocking down the other team's offense. It gives the entire team momentum. Also, right before the half it gives your team the added motivation to go for a score because you get the ball right back. Imagine being tied with 2 mins to go in the half, scoring a td, then getting the ball right back after the half. It's huge.

I absolutely hate when my team is receiving to start the game.

Forward_Lateral
12-08-2008, 10:54 AM
There are good arguments for both sides of the deferring debate, however blasting Jauron for doing it, is, as Hydro said, "grasping at straws". Not to mention ******ed, and a waste of bandwidth and paper.

Typ0
12-08-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't disagree with your reasoning but putting confidence in your defense is also an advantage.

When you defer to the second half you're putting your defense on the field right away. Assuming they can force a punt, that puts a ton of confidence into your defense along with knocking down the other team's offense. It gives the entire team momentum. Also, right before the half it gives your team the added motivation to go for a score because you get the ball right back. Imagine being tied with 2 mins to go in the half, scoring a td, then getting the ball right back after the half. It's huge.

I absolutely hate when my team is receiving to start the game.

I understand that...but it's not no brainer reason like getting an extra possession in the second half instead of the first because it can blow up in your face too easily. If they score both your offense and defense are backed up against a wall.

Dr. Lecter
12-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Of the 5,249,466 things to criticize Jauron about, this one ranks 5,249,464th on the list.

RockStar36
12-08-2008, 12:49 PM
I understand that...but it's not no brainer reason like getting an extra possession in the second half instead of the first because it can blow up in your face too easily. If they score both your offense and defense are backed up against a wall.

That's just the risk worth taking. Granted they aren't real games, but whenever I'm playing any sort of football game I always kickoff to start the game so that I get the ball in the 2nd half.

Typ0
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
That's just the risk worth taking. Granted they aren't real games, but whenever I'm playing any sort of football game I always kickoff to start the game so that I get the ball in the 2nd half.

and the advantage is you extend your TOP in the second half instead of the first...and then if you are adjusting after seeing what the opponent is doing you have more time post adjustment than pre which is a distinct advantage.

dplus47
12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
the bills did force a punt on the first drive, and i believe they did come out in the second half looking good. they just couldn't score. deferring looks to me like it set the bills up to execute, but they just couldn't do it.