• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

The way to build a winning team:

Example 1: Atlanta Falcons

In one off-season:

Draft: Franchise QB (Ryan); Starting LT (Baker, when healthy); Leading Tackler and Starting ILB (Lofton)

Sign: NFL's leading touchdown scorer (Turner)

That is an impressive talent haul for one off-season. I imagine that even the folks in Atlanta didn't think all those guys would do as well as they have. Maybe they got lucky?

At any rate, the Bills should really spend the off-season talking with some personnel people who know what they are doing.
  • Kenny
    • Aug 2004

Re: The way to build a winning team:

Originally posted by EDS

In one off-season:

Draft: Franchise QB (Ryan); Starting LT (Baker, when healthy); Leading Tackler and Starting ILB (Lofton)

That is an impressive talent haul for one off-season. I imagine that even the folks in Atlanta didn't think all those guys would do as well as they have. Maybe they got lucky?

At any rate, the Bills should really spend the off-season talking with some personnel people who know what they are doing.
    Finding your franchise QB is easier said than done. I guarantee you, that if Ryan turned out to be a dud (ie., Harrington, etc...), they'd be in last place in that division.

Hell, I'd be willing to bet that if we had a guy like Ryan leading our offense, we'd be competing for first in the division.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Kenny
      Finding your franchise QB is easier said than done. I guarantee you, that if Ryan turned out to be a dud (ie., Harrington, etc...), they'd be in last place in that division.

Hell, I'd be willing to bet that if we had a guy like Ryan leading our offense, we'd be competing for first in the division.
      exactly.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

Sign a true NFL level GM.

That's where you start...the rest falls into place quite nicely when you have that.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Edwards is a capable with the right dynamics around him.

This team has drafted poorly but blaming it all on a 3rd rounder in his second season is kind of ridiculous.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
            • Feb 2005

Successful corporations and businesses are built setting a strong tone at the top. Building a successful football franchise is no different.

If you have a pansy head coach who demands nothing and shows no enthusiasm or passion, then you're not going to be fired up and you're not going to push yourself in to that next gear.

Look at Singlatery. The guy comes in fired up, demanding his players to play like they're capable of. He doesn't sugar coat anything like Jauron. He tells it like it is, and if you don't like it, then tough sh**. The result? The 49ers immediately begin winning, including a game against the Jets yesterday.

The point is, as long as the organization is headed by Wilson, and Jauron and guys who don't show a burning desire to win at nearly all costs, then the team will continue to be a bunch of losers. I think we can all agree that one of the biggest things that pisses us off is that none of the coaches and few of the players actually seem to give a f**k.

Comment

• Akhippo
              • Nov 2002

The thing with Ryan is he is dynamic. He will stretch the field and make throws.

My question is how much of an influence does our coaching staff have on the demenor of Edwards. Are they telling him to make the safe throw. Take what is given. Dont make the mistake and well let the D handle it.

If we had Ryan would he be under lock and key also. Would we get the same out of him.
              Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Akhippo
                The thing with Ryan is he is dynamic. He will stretch the field and make throws.

My question is how much of an influence does our coaching staff have on the demenor of Edwards. Are they telling him to make the safe throw. Take what is given. Dont make the mistake and well let the D handle it.

If we had Ryan would he be under lock and key also. Would we get the same out of him.

they aren't telling him that at all. They have properly built in check down options in the plays but they are outlets if nothing is working. He just isn't seeing the field right so he goes for the check down. Throwing the check down is a lot better than throwing it away...it gets the ball into the hands of someone who can make a play. The problem is, the field is not being attacked the way it should. Hopefully, he'll learn and get himself out of this mess.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
                  they aren't telling him that at all. They have properly built in check down options in the plays but they are outlets if nothing is working. He just isn't seeing the field right so he goes for the check down. Throwing the check down is a lot better than throwing it away...it gets the ball into the hands of someone who can make a play. The problem is, the field is not being attacked the way it should. Hopefully, he'll learn and get himself out of this mess.
                  I watched Matt Ryan run a no huddle yesterday. I have not seen Edwards run it once and this kid is more than capable of doing it.

I'm really starting to believe that Jauron's emphasis on keeping it close is what is holding this team back.

I really think he believes we can win everygame by 3 points.

Comment

• Typ0
                    honey pie
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    I watched Matt Ryan run a no huddle yesterday. I have not seen Edwards run it once and this kid is more than capable of doing it.

I'm really starting to believe that Jauron's emphasis on keeping it close is what is holding this team back.

I really think he believes we can win everygame by 3 points.

he's not trying to keep it close though. He's trying to move the football downfield. The problem is the QB is not executing the plays right and we are getting stalled.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
                      he's not trying to keep it close though. He's trying to move the football downfield. The problem is the QB is not executing the plays right and we are getting stalled.
                      Not buying it. Is Lynch not executing the plays?

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                        Not buying it. Is Lynch not executing the plays?
                        it's really the passing game that's screwed up...and the correct plays even being ran. With those two things the running game is screwed. Plus, our run blocking has been lacking. You have to look at the pass formations that are called. That is not an ultra conservative offense...but it's not working because the QB has sucked most of the year.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                          • Jun 2003

Just throwing my 2 cents into this mix...yesterday, I saw for the first time in a lone time an unemotional bills team. I'm not use to that, especially in a divisional game with us. The D was as good as it's always been, but there were some keys things yesterday that helped miami and it's wasn't the QB's fault.. i.e, dropped passes. Two of them critical to the game, the one the dolphins reviewed and got over turned, and the Marshawn Lynch dropped pass for a 1st. Those plays were critical because you guys were on the move and gainning some momentum. The interception in the endzone was big for Miami, but it wasn't Miami beating the billsi, the bills recivers helped a lot. Loseman passes were there, the recievers mentally weren't. And I can't believe Marshawn Lynch didn't get more runs, that's one way of beating down a D, that guy...by not running him more Miami's Dline was fresher at the end to pass rush, not withstanding miami's O keeping the ball for long drives...running Marshawn Lynch would have extended the bills drives in mho.. just because he didn't get much yardage on 1st down is no reason to stop feeding him.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
                            Just throwing my 2 cents into this mix...yesterday, I saw for the first time in a lone time an unemotional bills team. I'm not use to that, especially in a divisional game with us. The D was as good as it's always been, but there were some keys things yesterday that helped miami and it's wasn't the QB's fault.. i.e, dropped passes. Two of them critical to the game, the one the dolphins reviewed and got over turned, and the Marshawn Lynch dropped pass for a 1st. Those plays were critical because you guys were on the move and gainning some momentum. The interception in the endzone was big for Miami, but it wasn't Miami beating the billsi, the bills recivers helped a lot. Loseman passes were there, the recievers mentally weren't. And I can't believe Marshawn Lynch didn't get more runs, that's one way of beating down a D, that guy...by not running him more Miami's Dline was fresher at the end to pass rush, not withstanding miami's O keeping the ball for long drives...running Marshawn Lynch would have extended the bills drives in mho.. just because he didn't get much yardage on 1st down is no reason to stop feeding him.
                            The team doesn't play for Losman, end of story. Players don't like him.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by EDS

In one off-season:

Funny that you would use them as an example, since Mike Mularkey is the O corr.. I thought his play calling was suppose to hurt a team.. So in essence, if he has the right personnel then he can coach...is that what I'm hearing.. ?? Hmmm, didn't sound like that when he was in Buffalo.. so what he needed was a real personnel guy, correct..?

Reach for the stars

Comment

Working...
                              X