PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI.com rumor mill :Shotty and Cowher together

trapezeus
12-09-2008, 12:53 PM
on a radio station, shottenheimer said that he would love to be in the front office of a team and select Cowher as the coach. He said he isn't very interested in returning to cleveland.

The article says that the two men are close friends, so there is a possiblity this could happen, but why would cowher give up control that he had? i would guess that the old axiom, "Never lend money to a friend" probably applies to football as well. "Never give over control of the team to your friend."

OpIv37
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM
why would either come to Buffalo, let alone both?

THATHURMANATOR
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Seriously and it takes away the two coachs I really wanted.

trapezeus
12-09-2008, 01:00 PM
no doubt. i just posted this because that was what was in the article. if we can't afford one of them, it's totally out of the question to bring both of them in.

Do you think that there was a time when people who were awesome at something actually enjoyed the challenge of being good? Like they feel they've made all the money they'll need and now they just want to go out and prove to the world they're the best? That's really the only way the bills are getting an awesome proven talent in here.

HHURRICANE
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
The two aren't going anywhere together. Even a big money team like Dallas or Washington would have a hard time justifying both on the same team.

The rumor I heard is that Russ Brandon is the front runner to coach the team next year. Every player that scores a TD gets a free promotional whammie. This should definately increase our redzone production.

JJamezz
12-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I think out of all the big name coaches of the last several years, Cowher is probably the most realistic in as far as HIM being willing to coach in Buffalo.. Ralph's change purse will likely say different, but I don't know why so many people see Cowher as having no interest.

Typ0
12-09-2008, 01:06 PM
I think out of all the big name coaches of the last several years, Cowher is probably the most realistic in as far as HIM being willing to coach in Buffalo.. Ralph's change purse will likely say different, but I don't know why so many people see Cowher as having no interest.

because it's well known that working for RW is a disaster. Why would anyone want to? I wouldn't even take the job!

HHURRICANE
12-09-2008, 01:07 PM

He's already stated that he wants to coach near the Carolinas and he had made some comments about the Steelers organization being frugal.

I think our loaction + cheap owner = no chance in hell.

trapezeus
12-09-2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/80835-marty-wouldnt-mind-being-browns-gm?eref=fromSI

this is the link by the by.

I think cowher's interest was based on staying in carolina. at the beginning of the year, John Fox ( a guy we passed on for the unemployed Gregg Williams) got his team healthy and has them playing well. They looked good last night on national TV. I think cowher thought he could merge his passion for football and his desire to stay close to his family by coaching the Panthers.

I think cowher's interest now that the Panther's gig isnt' really an option is to fly into NYC 1x a week, give his comments and come back to his family for the rest of the week. He makes great coin doing it this way and he stays with the family.

He'll literally need a Godfather like offer where he can't refuse the money and says, "I'll give it 3-5 years" and if it works out great, if not, then make to the booth.

JJamezz
12-09-2008, 01:10 PM
because it's well known that working for RW is a disaster. Why would anyone want to? I wouldn't even take the job!

If Cowher comes here, it'll be on his terms.. It seems like a lot of people think he'd be uninterested from the get go, for more reasons than just Ralph.

Jan Reimers
12-09-2008, 01:13 PM
No way we would pay both of them. Ralph would have to dig into his mattress, AND the cans in his backyard.

JJamezz
12-09-2008, 01:13 PM
He's already stated that he wants to coach near the Carolinas and he had made some comments about the Steelers organization being frugal.

I think our loaction + cheap owner = no chance in hell.

I've heard that notion being thrown around as well - and that is a legitimate reason. I just hate it when people are negative just for the sake of being negative..

Jeff1220
12-09-2008, 01:23 PM
When you figure that you're getting a good coach and GM in one, Cowher is actually a bargain. :str8face:

NJFINSFAN1
12-09-2008, 01:51 PM
The big rumor with Marty is Cleveland, he wants that bad.

But rumors out of Cleveland are if they make a change they want Cowher.

I think the Bills need to do it the right way, find a GM first, than let him pick the coach.

Coach wise, I think the three that you should go for are.
1. Steve Spagnuolo
2. Jim Schwartz
3. Josh McDaniels

Josh McDaniels would be a dark horse, but has done a great job at NE and would very likely bring Cassel who is a FA with him. It would also hurt the Pats.

BILLSROCK1212
12-09-2008, 02:55 PM
this is the perfect place for for one of those guys to run the front office as well as coach

madness
12-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Seriously and it takes away the two coachs I really wanted.

Who's that?

Night Train
12-09-2008, 03:15 PM
" We'd like to introduce our new head coach, Chuck Lester ! "

PECKERWOOD
12-09-2008, 03:56 PM

It's very appealing to a HC that is trying to leave behind a very convincing legacy. Think about it, people associate Buffalo with choking and losing, if Cowher came here and thrived people would be like: "WOW that guy is an amazing coach!" It would put him in the same conversation as Belichick, Walsh and Lombardi.

Why would anyone want to? I wouldn't even take the job!

I quote Achilles from Troy!: "That's why when you're dead, nobody will remember your name!"

X-Era
12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
It's very appealing to a HC that is trying to leave behind a very convincing legacy. Think about it, people associate Buffalo with choking and losing, if Cowher came here and thrived people would be like: "WOW that guy is an amazing coach!" It would put him in the same conversation as Belichick, Walsh and Lombardi.

I quote Achilles from Troy!: "That's why when you're dead, nobody will remember your name!"

This may be wishful thinking but:

Cowher might see us as a lot closer to being able to get to the playoffs than many of the other squads, he may also see that we are smaller market like the Steelers, a blue-collar town like Pittsburgh, and that we are desperate for exactly the type of hard nosed football that he would bring. I think it may also help that we have no GM and have an expanded set of responibilities for our HC. Its not the standard HC/GM that Cowher didnt like.

It seems like a good fit, but the money will be a MAJOR issue that we wont be able to get around. We just wont pay what it will cost.

Ed
12-09-2008, 05:15 PM

Or he might see it as a situation where he'll never be able to get the power or players that he wants, so it would just taint his legacy.

SABuffalo786
12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
why would either come to Buffalo, let alone both?

They would like a challenge?