• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

The Cover 2 stinks!

Whos with me?

I want the 3-4. Id rather have a speedy LB who can cover the middle and our (currently always open seems), than a slower DT who will NOT get a pass rush.

Plus it opens us up to all those tweener type DE/OLB's like Orakpo, Selvie, and others. And we could then play off on a much stronger ILB draft. Can you imagine Lauranitis and Poz next to each other? That has to be like 50 vowels on two jersey backs!

And, this offense would be forced to practice over and over against the 4-3 that NE, and the Jets play. Only makes us more equipped to beat it.

If we ran the 4-3, and we signed Suggs. And drafted Lauranitis, we would have:

Suggs, Poz, Lauranitis, Mitchell as our starting LB crew. Throw in a 2nd round DE like a George Selvie???

THAT is how you get better quick.

You then follow it up with drafting Caldwell as our new C, add in Graham Harrell in round 4 or so, maybe Ingram or Beckum (banking on full recovery from injury)...

Last edited by X-Era; 12-09-2008, 04:35 PM.

• Boomstick
    • Oct 2008

Re: The Cover 2 stinks!

I'm with you on this. I say use the hybrid 3-4/4-3 and get someone creative in here. Lets confuse people for a while. While I think Lauranitis would be great to have, I just don't think we'll get that lucky. But if we want one of those tweener DE/LBs then I think Aaron Maybin would be freaking perfect. Hes a sophomore, but when he decides to come out for the draft, thats who I want.
    He reminds me of the way Dwight Freeny played in college.
    Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Hello. My name is Shawn Spencer this is my associate Hummingbird Saltalamachia

Comment

• historypete
      • Feb 2005

I'd much prefer the 3-4. I'd run it a bit differently than we have in the past though.

What I mean is I'd have two big DT's on the line and one true DE. We did that for a short while with Pat Williams and Ted Washington.

To do this though we need a bunch of LBs. I'd try to move Kelsay for a 4th. I'd also contact Indy and see if they'd still want McCargo for a 4th. With that I'd start Kyle Williams and Stroud at LDE and NT, if we can't upgrade Williams. I'd then start Schobel at RDE, your pass rusher.

Between the Draft and FA I'd bring in another ILB or two and one or two OLB. I think our secondary is pretty solid. I would consider getting a SS and then moving Whitner to FS in the hopes he can make more plays.

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

As posted in historypete's other thread:

Changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 or vice versa isn't that easy. Especially when you have undersized DE as we do in Schobel, Kelsay, Bryan and Ellis. Schobel might be easily shifted to a OLB as saw a guy like Matt Roth make the switch in Miami and Schobel is far better then Roth. I think Stroud could play NT in a 3-4 and I could see moving Kyle Williams to DE. Though that leaves with 3 former DEs with no positions to play and John McCargo who is likely going to be moved regardless of the D we play next year. In other a big mess. So keep with the 4-3 IMHO. Oh and let's not forget we'd likely need to find an ILB too.

Comment

• dreamwalker
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
          Whos with me?

I want the 3-4. Id rather have a speedy LB who can cover the middle and our (currently always open seems), than a slower DT who will NOT get a pass rush.

Plus it opens us up to all those tweener type DE/OLB's like Orakpo, Selvie, and others. And we could then play off on a much stronger ILB draft. Can you imagine Lauranitis and Poz next to each other? That has to be like 50 vowels on two jersey backs!

And, this offense would be forced to practice over and over against the 4-3 that NE, and the Jets play. Only makes us more equipped to beat it.

If we ran the 4-3, and we signed Suggs. And drafted Lauranitis, we would have:

Suggs, Poz, Lauranitis, Mitchell as our starting LB crew. Throw in a 2nd round DE like a George Selvie???

THAT is how you get better quick.

You then follow it up with drafting Caldwell as our new C, add in Graham Harrell in round 4 or so, maybe Ingram or Beckum (banking on full recovery from injury)...

At this point i think it would be a good move, the only team in the east that doesnt play a 3-4 is the bills but that would mean you need a new coach that uses a 3-4 in his scheme.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman
            As posted in historypete's other thread:
            So we would have the other three DE's take there very insignificant sack totalks to another team? And this is a bad thing?

Schobel doesnt necessarily have to stop being a DE. Theres other DE's that play in the 3-4 that are as small. McCargo would leave... again is that bad?

Our ineptitude as a pass rushing unit has become our biggest problem, or at least one of them. Switching to the 3-4 allows us to bring in guys who can do it better.

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

So we would have the other three DE's take there very insignificant sack totalks to another team? And this is a bad thing?

Schobel doesnt necessarily have to stop being a DE. Theres other DE's that play in the 3-4 that are as small. McCargo would leave... again is that bad?

Our ineptitude as a pass rushing unit has become our biggest problem, or at least one of them. Switching to the 3-4 allows us to bring in guys who can do it better.
              Who are these small 3-4 DEs you speak of? I'd like to see a list.

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                Who are these small 3-4 DEs you speak of? I'd like to see a list.
                So what Defensive scheme did we play inbefore the Cover 2? Schobel was drafted BEFORE Jauron and the cover 2.

Comment

• djjimkelly
                  • Apr 2003

we havent been any good since we got rid of the 3-4 im all for it problem i dont think our roster is close to being able to run it.

however we dont have a roster to run a cover 2 either so lol.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

If we were to switch to the 3-4...who would you put at DE?

We'd need a shutdown corner as well.

Our defensive line would be extremely weak and small for the scheme.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                      If we were to switch to the 3-4...who would you put at DE?

We'd need a shutdown corner as well.

OK, real talk... I like it.

I would draft a guy like Orakpo, Johnson, or even Selvie

I would sign Suggs

That gives you guys at both DE spots who can also play rushing OLB. Schobel can go to being rotational

Stroud can man the middle, and add a big DT like Dorell Scott. I might also think about a guy that gets cut or is out there thats long in the tooth.

Shutdown corner is a vague term.

I like Greer more than McGee to be honest. McKelvin is getting hot toward the end of the year. McLovin has the size and speed to be the shutdown corner, but as you know hes not there yet.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                        • Aug 2005

I have wanted a 3-4 for a while now myself. I just feel like it is a more athletic and unpredictable defense.
                        SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

i'm for sticking with the 4-3 and have one real linebacker to take ellison's spot. i think that Poz and mitchell have to worry about the ellison part of the field too much. we also need a real rotation upfront at DL. you can use schobel for one more year. i don't know if we can keep him healthy. but it'll be easier to get one more real DE that it would be to get 2 more stud linebackers if you switched to 3-4.

i honestly believe our Secondary has plenty of depth to handle passing situatoins if it were not that they were in coverage the whole time. they need to get some pressure on the QB and we'll see the improvement, immediately.

So 3-4 would require new coach, terminology, and players.

4-3 with better talent only needs 1 or two free agency moves and a draft for a depth. in the interests of winning now, let's stick with 4-3 and get the right players.

Comment

• mybills
                            81 st zoner
                            • Jul 2002

this offense would be forced to practice over and over against the 4-3 that NE, and the Jets play. Only makes us more equipped to beat it.
                            I could've sworn they and Miami use the 3-4
                            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• zone
                              No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              As apposed to how big and dominant they are in the pass rush now.

The scheme we run now generates no pressure unless we take the line out of their 3 point stance and send Mitchell on a blitz.

Stroud is big and athletic enough to play any scheme IMO. Both DE's are about 30 pounds under weight for this scheme though. Schobel may be 40 pounds under weight. Denny has a big frame to build on, although I don't see him gaining 30 pounds in the off season.

I think bringing in a new DC and switching to the 3-4 would definitely bring some attitude back to this spineless defense.

We would need a plethora of LB's as well. If we did this I would like to see Spikes back in here, even if it's for limited play on a 1 year deal. He has the attitude and leadership I want for our defense.
                              www.blzbus.com

Comment

Working...
                              X