PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan or Spagnola

historypete
12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
It has been a long while since I posted anything here. I think my last thread was when we were 4-0 and I said something stupid, like this team is mentally tough and takes on the persona of its coach because they don't panic.

Well, I was right on one account they take on the persona of Jauron in terms of acting like a corpse.

But I digress. If Jauron is fired in four weeks, and I really think this is a big IF unfortuanately, I'd like to see either Ryan or Spagnola in here. I understand that Ralphy won't pay big bucks for a coach. You are not going to teach an old dog new tricks, so in my mind that automatically eliminates people like Billick, Cowher and Shotty. Those guys aren't going to come here. No way is Ralphy going to fork out 5 million or more for these types of guys.

So that leaves us with who might be the next hot coordinator. I look at that and in my mind Ryan and Spagnola are the top two guys. I love the defense that Ryan runs, and yes I do realize they have some really talented guys there, but no matter his defenses are usually solid and they create havoc. I'd actually prefer Ryan because I want us to go back to a 3-4 defense. We've run this 3-4 in different varieties and it hasn't gotten us anywhere.

Spagnola is the same way, but of course he runs the 3-4. What makes his defense so effective is the pass-rushings ends he has. Either way though, I think he would be a success. Plus he comes from that Parcells, Coughlin, Belicheck line which is something we should cherry pick off of.

If we were looking at an offensive coach I would actually consider Josh McDaniels in NE. He is bright as hell and runs an extremely effective offense. That would be worth a shot, but it is probably the biggest gamble considering his age.

Still, anyone with an ounce of creativity, passion and fire would be better than the stagnat crap we have going now. Listening to Jauron is like listening to Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I figure with all the coaching threads I'd put my two cents into the ring.

The Jokeman
12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
It has been a long while since I posted anything here. I think my last thread was when we were 4-0 and I said something stupid, like this team is mentally tough and takes on the persona of its coach because they don't panic.

Well, I was right on one account they take on the persona of Jauron in terms of acting like a corpse.

But I digress. If Jauron is fired in four weeks, and I really think this is a big IF unfortuanately, I'd like to see either Ryan or Spagnola in here. I understand that Ralphy won't pay big bucks for a coach. You are not going to teach an old dog new tricks, so in my mind that automatically eliminates people like Billick, Cowher and Shotty. Those guys aren't going to come here. No way is Ralphy going to fork out 5 million or more for these types of guys.

So that leaves us with who might be the next hot coordinator. I look at that and in my mind Ryan and Spagnola are the top two guys. I love the defense that Ryan runs, and yes I do realize they have some really talented guys there, but no matter his defenses are usually solid and they create havoc. I'd actually prefer Ryan because I want us to go back to a 3-4 defense. We've run this 3-4 in different varieties and it hasn't gotten us anywhere.

Spagnola is the same way, but of course he runs the 3-4. What makes his defense so effective is the pass-rushings ends he has. Either way though, I think he would be a success. Plus he comes from that Parcells, Coughlin, Belicheck line which is something we should cherry pick off of.

If we were looking at an offensive coach I would actually consider Josh McDaniels in NE. He is bright as hell and runs an extremely effective offense. That would be worth a shot, but it is probably the biggest gamble considering his age.

Still, anyone with an ounce of creativity, passion and fire would be better than the stagnat crap we have going now. Listening to Jauron is like listening to Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I figure with all the coaching threads I'd put my two cents into the ring.
Last I checked Spagnola and the Giants run a 4-3. Therefore think he'd be a better fit then Ryan. That said we might also want to consider an offensive minded guy since our defense as "bad" as it is has far more talent on then the offense.

historypete
12-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Sorry, I was typing so fast I meant to say 4-3 for Spagnola and us.

I want to return to the 3-4 that is why I'd prefer Ryan. My mistake.

The Jokeman
12-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Sorry, I was typing so fast I meant to say 4-3 for Spagnola and us.

I want to return to the 3-4 that is why I'd prefer Ryan. My mistake.
Changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 or vice versa isn't that easy. Especially when you have undersized DE as we do in Schobel, Kelsay, Bryan and Ellis. Schobel might be easily shifted to a OLB as saw a guy like Matt Roth make the switch in Miami and Schobel is far better then Roth. I think Stroud could play NT in a 3-4 and I could see moving Kyle Williams to DE. Though that leaves with 3 former DEs with no positions to play and John McCargo who is likely going to be moved regardless of the D we play next year. In other a big mess. So keep with the 4-3 IMHO. Oh and let's not forget we'd likely need to find an ILB too.

Yasgur's Farm
12-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Can't leave Bobby April out of the equation... He's the only coach on the sideline that doesn't look like he uses a coffin for his sleeping quarters.

Ickybaluky
12-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Spagnuolo is the highest paid DC in the NFL, at $2M per season, or $500K per season more than Jauron is making this year. If Wilson wants to sign him, he will have to spend a lot more than he has on a coach recently. Ryan, as a coordinator, makes the same money as Jauron as a HC ($1.5M per season).

theanswer74
12-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Can't leave Bobby April out of the equation... He's the only coach on the sideline that doesn't look like he uses a coffin for his sleeping quarters.

Come on, we complain about Ralph being cheap and people want April? Another inside promotion?

Jeff1220
12-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this but, what about Herm Edwards? He might very well be jettisoned from KC and despite his lack of success there, he has:
:check: a fiery personality
:check: taken his team to the playoffs
:check: learned from both Marty and Dungy
:check: might have been humbled some from his KC experience
:check: understands "...why we play the game"

...just a thought that popped into my head.

tat2dmike77
12-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Brian Billick is the right choice in '09

Dujek
12-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Brian Billick is the right choice in '09

Billick would be my choice too

1. Proven winner
2. Knows how to use a power back
3. Creates teams that are greater than the sum of the parts, unlike Jauron who takes moderate talent and makes it look like ****
4. No nonsense approach
5. Gets fired up, motivating himself, his assistants and his players
6. His style of football would be perfect for Buffalo weather. Solid defense, power running game, and the QB is mainly used as a game manager

baalworship
12-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Any of these would make me excited:

Steve Spagnuolo-Giants D-coordinator
Jim Schwartz- Titans D-coordinator
Josh McDaniels-Patriots O-coordinator
Russ Grimm-Cardinals Asst head Coach, O-Line

PECKERWOOD
12-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this but, what about Herm Edwards? He might very well be jettisoned from KC and despite his lack of success there, he has:
:check: a fiery personality
:check: taken his team to the playoffs
:check: learned from both Marty and Dungy
:check: might have been humbled some from his KC experience
:check: understands "...why we play the game"

...just a thought that popped into my head.

Ask any Chiefs fan about what they think of Herm. He has been caught smiling on the sidelines after losing divisional games, I'll pass on Herm.

Kenny
12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Billick would be my choice too
3. Creates teams that are greater than the sum of the parts, unlike Jauron who takes moderate talent and makes it look like ****

Did Billick create that team? I thought that defense was already there when he joined?
From what I remembered, Billick was brought in because of his 'offensive' genius. Which was ultimately why he got canned, -because he failed at creating an offense.

The Jokeman
12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Did Billick create that team? I thought that defense was already there when he joined?
From what I remembered, Billick was brought in because of his 'offensive' genius. Which was ultimately why he got canned, -because he failed at creating an offense.
He didn't create the team but he was a great OC in Minnesota prior of course one wonders if had to be the talent he had there due to the seemingly lack of offense in Baltimore but alas I was calling for Billick to be our OC last offseason with little fanfare.

Jan Reimers
12-10-2008, 12:22 PM
In realistically discussing any head coaching change, we must consider Ralph's bargain basement approach to everything. Many candidates can then be eliminated, and we can discuss only the guys who will work for entry level dollars.

yordad
12-10-2008, 12:45 PM
In realistically discussing any head coaching change, we must consider Ralph's bargain basement approach to everything. Many candidates can then be eliminated, and we can discuss only the guys who will work for entry level dollars.Bobby April it is then.

The dark side growing in you, I can sense.

Jan Reimers
12-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Bobby April it is then.

The dark side growing in you, I can sense.
Yeah, it's hard to remain a glowing optimist after almost 49 seasons of mostly mediocrity, topped by nine years of utter failure, all connected by an owner who doesn't care about winning.

Bmax
12-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Jeff Davidson-Off Coordinator- Carolina-Sleeper Cand.
My First choice would be Cowher
2nd -Marty Schottenheimer
3rd - Steve Spagnuolo

But knowing the Bills their top three could be

Jim Fassel
Bobby April
Jim Haslett

Bmax

PECKERWOOD
12-10-2008, 02:06 PM
I could see Del Rio getting fired, perhaps. I'd consider bringing him in if that were to happen.

Also, to add on to what I said in response to Jeff's comment on Herm, I wouldn't consider bringing him in as a HC but if he wanted to come along and join our staff as our secondary coach, I would love to have him on board.

Jeff1220
12-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Another coordinator that should be generating interest is Doug Marrone, the OC from New Orleans. The Saints had a top offense consistently under his direction.

He's also an ex-'Cuse player (and started his coaching career at Cortland). I posted his bio in the thread about other teams looking for coaches. There are also rumors that Syracuse might bring him in, but I doubt they go in that direction if the can grab Holtz from ECU.

Kenny
12-10-2008, 05:49 PM
He didn't create the team but he was a great OC in Minnesota prior of course one wonders if had to be the talent he had there due to the seemingly lack of offense in Baltimore but alas I was calling for Billick to be our OC last offseason with little fanfare.
Which is why Im wondering why people want Billick? He had nothing to do with the team's defense, and did absolutely nothing for their offense.

We have a significantly lesser defense than Baltimore, and our offense is pretty similar to what Billick had in Baltimore... What makes anyone think that if Billick comes here it would be any different?

Unless of course, a decent quarterback (Culpepper in his prime) and one of the best WR's to ever play the game (Moss in his prime) suddenly drops into our laps, I just dont see any improvement.

Im tired of bringing in proven losers...

Dujek
12-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Billick's SB ring says he isn't a loser.

You can say all you want about him not putting the pieces in place, but at the end of the day he was the one who got those guys to win. Right now I don't care how the Bills play, as long as they win. Billick is 80-64 as a head coach, he's only had 3 losing seasons as a head coach and he's won a SB with a team that wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs that year. How much more of a winner do you want?

Admittedly the offenses didn't light up the league, but the rushing offense was consistently good, and let's be honest, despite all the problems Edwards has had since his concussion we're all fairly certain he's better than Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac, Kyle Boller or a past-it Steve McNair ever were. As I said, he got results from teams that were greater than the sum of the parts.

Jeff1220
12-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Billick's SB ring says he isn't a loser.

You can say all you want about him not putting the pieces in place, but at the end of the day he was the one who got those guys to win. Right now I don't care how the Bills play, as long as they win. Billick is 80-64 as a head coach, he's only had 3 losing seasons as a head coach and he's won a SB with a team that wasn't even supposed to make the playoffs that year. How much more of a winner do you want?

Admittedly the offenses didn't light up the league, but the rushing offense was consistently good, and let's be honest, despite all the problems Edwards has had since his concussion we're all fairly certain he's better than Trent Dilfer, Elvis Grbac, Kyle Boller or a past-it Steve McNair ever were. As I said, he got results from teams that were greater than the sum of the parts.

Other than Jauron's lack of emotion/personality, Billick is the exact same game day coach. He constantly makes calls that leave you scratching your head, he has horrible clock management and wastes timeouts. Billick is a self-proclaimed genius that could translate get his supposed strength to his team's strength. When he took over the offensive play calling for Fassell, it got even worse. As for his talent evaluation, he wanted Boller so bad (all his decision) while Ozzy (and his great talent evaluation track record) wanted to go in a different direction.
The only positives I could gain from hiring Billick is that his personality could help give the team an identity w/a swagger, and he might be able to help bring in a few decent Baltimore FAs.
I'd def like him over Jauron, but wouldn't be at/near the top of my list.

colin
12-11-2008, 08:26 AM
i'd take haslett.

we need a real OC, that's the biggest need.

i'd keep our staff on D and ST in, just add a new OC and put haslett in.

you wanna talk about a bleed bills blue firey guy, that's haslett.