PDA

View Full Version : Can this guy take over for Ralph??

Lexwhat
12-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I randomly stumbled upon this article, and really enjoyed it. If you have time, I highly recommend it (sorry, it's long though).

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8919136/TO-RUSSIA-WITH-LOVE-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imagine Mark Cuban with three times as many teams and five times as much money. He'd still be a piker compared with the Russian zillionaires who offer a life of luxury to lure world-class athletes and are bankrolling a new national sports machine.

ALLOW HIM to lead you through the chambers of his Moscow office, the entire floor of a six-story building he owns, and Shabtai von Kalmanovic, international businessman, former Soviet spy, lifelong Basketball Bennie will impress upon you one additional entry on his resume. "I am a collector," he says between gestures toward his private acquisitions. Here are rooms full of menorahs and mezuzahs, part of a collection of Judaica so impressive, he says, that rabbis come from around the world to inspect it. Here too are Faberge eggs and Russian folk paintings and Soviet curiosities such as a limited-edition chess set (Red Bolsheviks vs. White Russians) commissioned by Stalin himself.

Today Russian businessmen no longer merely vie with one another to see who can win domestic titles in soccer, Basketball and hockey. They've also taken their competitiveness to the world stage, where they own several of the most storied soccer clubs in the English Premier League, including Chelsea (the pride of oligarch Roman Abramovich) and Arsenal (in which metals, lumber and media mogul Alisher Usmanov holds a 24% stake).

... Abramovich, who grants virtually no interviews, has made one public comment that begins to explain himself, and it could serve as the Oligarchs' Credo: "The goal is to win. It's not about making money. I have many much less risky ways of making money. I don't want to throw my money away, but it's really about having fun, and that means success and trophies."

Night Train
12-10-2008, 05:19 AM
"The goal is to win. It's not about making money ".

Ralph just went into cardiac arrest.

Dujek
12-10-2008, 06:59 AM
No, never Abramovich. I would want no part of him or his money.

People who have stood in his way in the past have disappeared or been found dead in ditches. There have been a couple of very interesting documentaries about him, and while he has done wonders for Chelsea he is at the very least a shady character, and at the worst he is a killer and a thief.

Jan Reimers
12-10-2008, 08:15 AM

People who have stood in his way in the past have disappeared or been found dead in ditches. There have been a couple of very interesting documentaries about him, and while he has done wonders for Chelsea he is at the very least a shady character, and at the worst he is a killer and a thief.
Sounds perfect to me!

THATHURMANATOR
12-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I would be so happy if Cuban bought the team and actually kept them here. The Guy is from the Burgh.

trapezeus
12-10-2008, 08:51 AM

the bills have been abandoning the "draft character" credo for a couple years now. :-)

I know nothing of this guy and would be interested to seeing those documentaries. if you have the names, send me a note.

but it is interesting that most of the owners have the NFL as their side project. and it really is for their ego more than their ability to be a millionaire. Ralph just got lucky with the Bills, and he almost blew it early in his career. So it would be nice to get a guy who says, "i'd love to just make a winner out of a pathetic team at any cost and prove to everyone I'm the best."

Sounds like a deal with the devil, but after the last two weeks, i'm ok with sitting with the devil and working out a deal.

Jeff1220
12-10-2008, 09:01 AM
The thing is, build a winner and the profits will follow. This is what Yankees fans (me included) like about the Steinbrenners - yeah they meddle a bit more than most of us like, but they are all-in committed to winning, emotionally and financially. The extreme business success of the Yankees organization would not be possible if they were perpetual losers.

Dujek
12-10-2008, 11:04 AM
One of the documentaries was called Profile: Roman Abramovich, but it just covered some of the accusations lightly, and brushed over them. There was another more hard-hitting one, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Dujek
12-10-2008, 11:08 AM
The Russian Godfathers was another one, not specifically focussed on Abramovich, it covered all the oligarchs and some of the allegations against them that have surfaced over the years.

HHURRICANE
12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I would be so happy if Cuban bought the team and actually kept them here. The Guy is from the Burgh.

Pretty sure that Cuban is going to jail.

Jan Reimers
12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't much care much about character anymore. I'd take a Russian mobster, as long as he's committed to winning, over the senile, sniveling, cheap ass owner we have now.

Dujek
12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
The final nail in his coffin is that he owns Chelsea. Automatically making him a ****.

Jan Reimers
12-10-2008, 12:16 PM
The final nail in his coffin is that he owns Chelsea. Automatically making him a ****.
Yeah, too bad he doesn't own Arsenal. Go Gunners!

trapezeus
12-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't much care much about character anymore. I'd take a Russian mobster, as long as he's committed to winning, over the senile, sniveling, cheap ass owner we have now.

I'm not sure Mogilny or Afinogenov would be happy with a Russian mobster in the area.

PECKERWOOD
12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Um, I'll pass on him if what Dujek said is true.

DraftBoy
12-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Im also going to pass on Abramovich. This guy is dirty, and plays dirtier. I dont think the NFL would ever approve him owning a team either for that matter.

Dujek
12-10-2008, 05:40 PM
No idea how he passed the Premier League's fit and proper person test either. Then again Thaksin Shinawatra managed to pass that one, despite being deposed as the Thai PM for being corrupt.