PDA

View Full Version : Simms willing to wait turn, but he's got point to prove

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Although he has no timetable, Tampa Bay quarterback Chris Simms cannot wait for a chance to prove something to all those teams that bypassed him through the first three rounds of the draft. The Buccaneers, the defending Super Bowl champions, selected him with the last pick in the third round.

"There's going to be a chip on my shoulder when I play some of these teams," Simms said during the team's minicamp Saturday. "But right now, I just want to learn, get all that out of my mind and when that day comes, I'll get my payback."

Unlike when he left New Jersey as the nation's most highly recruited quarterback and arrived in Austin to play for Texas, Simms is under no pressure at Tampa Bay. Brad Johnson is No. 1. Veterans Jim Miller and Shaun King are also on the roster.

"Brad won the Super Bowl and went to the Pro Bowl last season," Simms said. "He's a great player, and I have tremendous respect for him. I really just want to pick his brain for a few years and see what he has to say.

"Of course, everybody wants to play. If I had the opportunity to play, I would be like `great,' but this is going to be a great learning experience for me. Shaun and Jim have a lot of experience, too, so I'm here with three guys who can tell me a lot about the game."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/fb/nfl/1895336