PDA

View Full Version : Broncos still looking Sharpe

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-06-2003, 01:00 AM
By Adam Schefter, Denver Post Sports Writer
ATLANTA - Before another of his high-test premium workouts, Denver Broncos tight end Shannon Sharpe sat in a coffee shop and explained precisely how he knew whether to extend his Hall of Fame career into this season.

file
Shannon Sharpe: 'I know I've got a big season left in me.'

"I started becoming like a kid going to school for the first time," Sharpe said this weekend in Atlanta, where he makes his offseason home. "Sunday night, I got up, I laid out my workout clothes - my tennis shoes, my socks, my shirt.

"I laid all the stuff out, got all my gear ready for the next day. And at that point, it really dawned on me that I want to play. I know in my heart of hearts this is the right decision for me. I know I've got a big season left in me."

Roll the cameras, start the tape recorders and ready the old No. 84 jersey. Sharpe, the NFL's all-time leader among tight ends in receptions (753) and yards receiving (9,290), has decided to return for his 14th season. Depending on how it goes, Sharpe could opt to play even longer.

"I don't rule out anything, but I don't rule in anything," said Sharpe, who turns 35 next month. "I don't rule out the fact that I'm going to be a billionaire, but I haven't ruled it in, either. But the actuality or probability of that happening, of coming back for another season on top of this one, we'll see."

Much has to do with how the Broncos perform and how Sharpe's body holds up. But even more has to do with how Sharpe will be able to cope with monotonous meetings he views as the least enjoyable part of his job.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~86~1368380,00.html