PDA

View Full Version : Bryant: Final year in teal

PA Season Ticket Holder
05-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Mark Brunell isn't the only prominent player who thinks the upcoming season will be his last with the Jaguars.

Cornerback Fernando Bryant, a former first-round draft pick, is so convinced his time with the Jaguars will be limited to this year that he already has a list of teams he wouldn't mind playing for in 2004.

That list, by the way, doesn't include Jacksonville.

"I don't want to limit myself, but just in the AFC South there are two teams I would love to play for -- [Houston and Indianapolis]," Bryant said yesterday between practices at the Jaguars' mandatory minicamp. "I've enjoyed Jacksonville, but at some point in everybody's career, you've got to start looking around."

Bryant, who has started 55 games at left cornerback the past four seasons, even finds himself wondering if he will be a member of the Jaguars beyond June 1. Bryant is due a $500,000 roster bonus on that date, and he wouldn't be surprised if the team releases him to avoid paying it.

"Nothing is set in stone for me until after June 1," Bryant said. "That's when I'll become a lot more comfortable about being part of this team this year ..."

Bryant, 26, has reached a point of no return with the Jaguars because of lingering ill will over what he said were broken promises by upper management, particularly owner Wayne Weaver and senior vice president Paul Vance.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/050403/jag_12453690.shtml