PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions from Dolphins game

trapezeus
12-12-2008, 10:00 AM
1. Why did the punt that the Bills special teams touch at the 1, get spotted at the 9? I wrote about this in my article, but of the responses i got, no one answered this one.

2. Also from my article, i was curious to hear what people's take on Ralph's daughter being the source of tension between polian and ralph. My question was, "why is she working on the team if she has no interest in running the team?" Doesn't that sound unfair. I was just looking for some more input.

Thanks in advance.

OpIv37
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
1. well, on plays when punts bounce into the endzone, the coverage team can put it back into play as long as they don't step in the endzone themselves first. They spot the ball where it stops, not where it is touched. So I think the same rule applies- the punt is spotted where the ball is stopped. I don't know for sure, but that's what seems logical.

2. Maybe she had interest in running the team back then, but doesn't now. More than likely, she does have interest in running the team but does not want to pay the taxes on inheriting it, so saying she has no interest is her public cop-out.

Pinkerton Security
12-12-2008, 10:17 AM
1. Why did the punt that the Bills special teams touch at the 1, get spotted at the 9? I wrote about this in my article, but of the responses i got, no one answered this one.

2. Also from my article, i was curious to hear what people's take on Ralph's daughter being the source of tension between polian and ralph. My question was, "why is she working on the team if she has no interest in running the team?" Doesn't that sound unfair. I was just looking for some more input.

Thanks in advance.

1) Pretty sure Op is right.

2) She wants the money associated with working for her rich father, but doesnt want the responsibility of "running" an organization. she has a great endowment regardless.

trapezeus
12-12-2008, 10:34 AM
1. Ahhh, that makes some sense. but i feel like they usually spot it from where it's touched and not possessed. Because if the ball took a bad bills bounce, why wouldn't the team just slap it backwards and then pick it up after it was done rolling?

2. Yeah those estate taxes will be brutal. but i wonder if she would be willing to step in in 2010. There is no estate tax in 2010 and if ralph passes away then (Jerry sullivan's chat yesterday referenced that rw's health was failing)

trapezeus
12-12-2008, 10:56 AM
actually, i rememberd one other question.

In cleveland last year, the bills got hosed on a josh reed catch. he caught it and was pushed out of bounds. The refs kept the clock running by saying his forward momentum was stopped in bounds. Then the same thing happens to the dolphins inside the 2 minute warning, and nothing. They stopped the clock. Did anyone else find this odd?

chernobylwraiths
12-12-2008, 11:26 AM

In cleveland last year, the bills got hosed on a josh reed catch. he caught it and was pushed out of bounds. The refs kept the clock running by saying his forward momentum was stopped in bounds. Then the same thing happens to the dolphins inside the 2 minute warning, and nothing. They stopped the clock. Did anyone else find this odd?

It's a judgement call on forward progess. If it is clear that the receiver is still running on his own backwards, then they will stop the clock and place the ball where he goes out. If it is a decent descrepency of where he is pushed out and where the forward progess was, then the clock should still run. I remember a play late in the game where the Dolphin's receiver was pushed backwards and the play clock kept running. I don't know the specific play though.

OpIv37
12-12-2008, 11:50 AM

like Chern said, it's a judgment call. And judgment calls will ALWAYS go against Buffalo. It's a universal truth in life, like death and taxes. We just have to accept it. That's why I get so bothered by any rule change that gives more discretion to the officials.

BlackMetalNinja
12-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Op's right about the punt coverage... it's where the ball is possessed, not where it's initially touched.

BlackMetalNinja
12-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Op's right about the punt coverage... it's where the ball is possessed, not where it's initially touched.and I don't mean possessed like mybills' neighbors' house.

Mr. Pink
12-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Op's right about the punt coverage... it's where the ball is possessed, not where it's initially touched.

Unless you touch the ball originally on say, the ten, and it rolls to the four. They'll spot it at the ten.

Or if someone touches it at the two and it rolls in the endzone, it's a touchback.

The rules are set up the way they are to help the receiving team.

Obvious reasons as to why.