• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Bills owner may be looking to shake up coaching staff, front office

Bills owner may be looking to shake up coaching staff, front office

Ralph Wilson can’t take it anymore. That’s the belief of many in Buffalo, who anticipate the Bills’ 90-year-old owner will be giving the ax to coach Dick Jauron after the season. Although Wilson has been silent on the matter, the silence is seen as a sign that he indeed is leaning toward making a change. The Bills are mired in a tailspin that shows no signs of slowing, having lost six of their last seven.
    The fall from grace has been as sudden as it’s been severe. After Buffalo got out to a 5-1 start, Jauron reportedly signed a three-year extension through 2011, although the team has never confirmed the deal. Even if the contract was signed, the prospect of buying out the new deal isn’t likely to be a big enough deterrent to keep Wilson from making a move if he indeed feels it is necessary. Club sources say Jauron recognizes his fate, as his customarily even-keeled persona has dipped into more of a demeanor of resignation.
    Changes might not stop with Jauron. Following the loss to the Dolphins in Week 14, Wilson, deeply troubled by his team’s demise, attributed the struggles in part due to a talent gap between the Bills and their competition. It was a subtle pointing of the finger at his personnel department, which was shaken up following the retirement of GM Marv Levy last offseason. Instead of hiring a general manager to replace Levy, Wilson chose to promote his college scouting director, Tom Modrak, and pro scouting director, John Guy, into what amounted to a joint GM role. But their inability to outfit the team with adequate player personnel could tempt Wilson into tabbing a single individual — somebody currently outside the organization — for the team’s top personnel job. Wilson has cast an envious eye toward the job Bill Parcells has done in his first year as the Dolphins’ executive VP of football operations, molding a roster that was 1-15 in 2007 to the brink of the postseason in ’08. He may be looking for his own Parcells.
    However, a change in the front office doesn’t appear to be as imminent as a coaching change, in part due to Wilson’s fear of appointing another Tom Donahoe, the Bills’ GM from 2001-05. A Buffalo outsider, Donahoe’s epic failure was marked by personnel disasters in addition to alienating himself from the organization and the community.

• madness
    • Apr 2003

Re: Bills owner may be looking to shake up coaching staff, front office

I agree, I think Ralph Wilson being mum spells it out quite clearly. Dick will be allowed to finish the final year of his contract and there might be some changes among Bills brass as well.

I also feel the talent level has gotten off to a good start but I still think we are at least 5-10 impact players away from being a contender. Right off the top of my head, I can name at least six positions that need to be upgraded ASAP.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

Cowher for Coach/Director of Football Operations

Pay him!

Comment

• bigbub2352
        • Feb 2005

Sign Marty to GM and Cowher to coach
        or save some money and have Bill do both
        XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
          My battery is low and it's getting dark.
          • Apr 2004

Is Cowher capable of handling a GM job? If he is, make him HC/GM

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

as much as I like Cowher, I hate the idea of the combined coach/GM. It's too much work for one human being. I'd like to see an arrangement with a separate GM but Cowher having veto power over personnel decisions, or something along those lines.

Anyway, back to the immediate topic: this invokes a wave of ambiguous emotions. On one hand, I'm happy that they're finally cleaning house and that they might get some REAL football people in here. On the other hand, this means starting the rebuilding cycle AGAIN and another 2-3 years before we're winning.

And speaking of Parcells, is his role in life just to make Bills fans miserable? He coached the Giants against us in the SB, coached the hated Cowboys and bounced around the AFCE with a good deal of success.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

We are the only AFCE team he hasn't turned into a winner aren't we? I wonder why that is...

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                Defies all logic
                • Oct 2006

How about a guy like AJ Smith Ralph? San Diego is a perfect example of a team that builds almost entirely through the draft. I would love it if we brought an intelligent and polished football man such as Smith to Buffalo, so he can bring us to the Super Bowl.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Time for him to get over the Donahoe thing.
                  jesus.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

AJ Smith was in Buffalo, but followed Butler out of town.

AJ did a heluva job dealing with the Manning situation.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ddaryl
                      AJ Smith was in Buffalo, but followed Butler out of town.

AJ did a heluva job dealing with the Manning situation.
                      Well let's bring him BACK to Buffalo then, the man clearly knows his football.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                        • Feb 2005

The article is pure speculation.

I could see Ralph doing nothing and just having the roster shaken up. Perhaps he could think about getting a proven QB (yeah Drew Bledsoe failed).

Comment

• Ed
                          Dude
                          • Sep 2002

If we're talking about bringing back AJ Smith, why not bring back Polian instead.

Imagine where this team would be if he had never left...

Comment

• dasaybz
                            • Apr 2005

Wow, Ralph ****ing hates Donahoe.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by dasaybz
                              Wow, Ralph ****ing hates Donahoe.
                              And there's no better way to stick it to TD than to bring in the guy who got him kicked out of Pittsburgh..

Comment

Working...
                              X