• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Players dispute Wilson’s claim on talent

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson said the reason his team has lost five of its last six games and is on the verge of being eliminated from the playoffs is it doesn’t have enough talent.
    None of the players approached in the locker room had heard about Wilson’s comments after last Sunday’s loss to Miami. Judging from their response, they couldn’t disagree more with the 90-year-old owner.
    “I think with the guys we have here, we certainly have enough talent to win,” wide receiver Lee Evans said. “We have won before, but it’s about winning on a consistent basis. That’s the goal. That’s the point you want to get [to], where you’re operating consistently throughout a whole game, a whole season and wins will come.”
    A lack of talent didn’t seem to be an issue when the Bills started 5-1. But when your season is coming apart at the seams, something — or someone — has to take the blame.
    But despite Wilson’s claims, the Bills’ players insist they’re good enough even if their current slide suggests otherwise.
    “I think there are a lot of talented guys on this team,” said quarterback J. P. Losman. “I don’t see how you could sit there and say Marshawn Lynch is not a talented guy or Fred Jackson or Lee Evans or Trent Edwards. Defensively, you can do the same thing right down the line.”
    more...

• Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: Players dispute Wilson’s claim on talent

JP thinks he excels too! The team could use some more talent. I really think we are a few players away from being dominant on defense and very capable on offense. The squad we have can win like LE says...but good QB play is a requirement and we aren't getting that.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

Sure, JP. You could go right down the line and say they are all talented. After all, they are in the NFL. The problem is, they're not as talented as the other guys on good teams. We have no pro-bowlers this year. None!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

The teams we beat to go 4-0/5-1 have turned out to be amongst the very worst in the league. We can't beat anyone with a winning record, and we can no longer even beat the Cleveland's and San Francisco's of the world.

I honestly don't know if it's on-field talent or coaching, but I know we're short of talent at several key positions, and I have seen both brutal playcalling and incompetent game management, so I would say it's a great deal of both.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• yordad
          • Dec 2007

"Lynch and punter Brian Moorman were the only Bills players to get serious consideration for the Pro Bowl in the fan voting, which concluded last Tuesday.
          Lynch finished fifth in the AFC at his position with 245,694 votes. Tennessee rookie Chris Johnson was the leading vote-getter at running back with 534,170. He was followed by Miami’s Ronnie Brown (481,293), San Diego’s LaDainian Tomlinson (428,381) and the New York Jets’ Thomas Jones (311,784).
          Moorman also placed fifth among AFC punters (61,965) behind Oakland’s Shane Lechler (108,116), Tennessee’s Craig Hentrich (97,496), Pittsburgh’s Mitch Berger (66,402) and San Diego’s Mike Scifries.
          Fans, players and coaches each account for one-third of the votes that determine the 43-man rosters. The players and coaches submitted their ballots Friday. They are not allowed to vote for members of their own team.
          The Pro Bowl teams will be announced Tuesday."

I thought that was interesting.
          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

As far as I'm concerned LT is only in the PB this year because of reputation.

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

We need a stud DE, and a Stud C... a bonafide TE threat to replace the royal schouman experiment and mentor Fine properly as well as a real OLB to replace Ellison.

to do this we would have to throw cap to cash out the friggin window... BUT all of this is moot without a bonafide proven winner in a head coach.

total cost of turning this team around for next year = $35 million... $30 million in FA player upgrades, and 5 million for a HC

think its going to happen ?
              Last edited by ddaryl; 12-13-2008, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl
                We need a stud DE, and a Stud C... a bonafide TE threat to replace the royal schouman experiment and mentor Fine properly as well as a real OLB to replace Ellis.

to do this we would have to throw cap to cash out the friggin window... BUT all of this is moot without a bonafide proven winner in a head coach.

total cost of turning this team around for next year = $35 million... $30 million in FA player upgrades, and 5 million for a HC

think its going to happen ?
                Unfortunately, no.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  Unfortunately, no.
                  I think we should start a campaign demanding the Ralph spend all the way up to the salary cap using his Toronto money, and raise ticket prices by $10 a game and use that money to get Bill Cowher in here as HC.

I don't think the majority of Bills fans would oppose this...

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

I think it's cool how JP mentioned Trent as one of the players that shows we clearly have talent.

Comment

Working...
                    X