• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Buffalo Bills won't quit despite slim playoff chances

The one thing you're never going to hear from the mouth of Bills coach Dick Jauron is a premature concession.

Unlike one of his predecessors in Buffalo, Wade Phillips, who famously discounted the Bills' playoff chances — slim as they were — a couple of weeks before the team was officially eliminated in 2000, Jauron refuses to give up hope on this pitifully failed season.When asked the other day how he can possibly get his slumping squad motivated to play today's game in New York against the Jets, Jauron said, "We haven't been eliminated at this point. We're not out of it, so that is a motivator for them; it always is in our business."
    Of course, the reality is that you need to go about three places to the right of the decimal point to find the percentage of a chance that Buffalo now has to earn a playoff berth.
    Let's put it this way: The far-fetched scenario includes Miami and New York having to play a tie game in the final week of the season (no, Donovan McNabb was not consulted on this computation), so even the hard-boiled members of Bills Nation would probably see fit to giving Jauron a pass if he were to say the playoff carrot is not dangling.
    But Jauron won't do it. He's not going to stop believing until there is nothing left to believe in, and besides, the paychecks aren't going to suddenly stop just because the Bills can't make it to the postseason. There are three more to earn and Jauron said his players are going to be prepared, they're going to play hard, and no one is going to quit.
    "Maybe as important as anything in our business, and maybe any business, is that it's not the only motivator," he said of the playoff chase. "The integrity of us, of all of us, and certainly the integrity of the game and our business, is effort.
    more...

• Owen DeBoard
    • Sep 2007

Re: Buffalo Bills won't quit despite slim playoff chances

It sure would have been nice if they were prepared when we actually could have made the playoffs. Jauron is a bum and he always gives the same old bull**** press conferences.
    To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Dick is certainly saying the right things in public. He is definitely being politically correct. Unfortunately, it does not make him a better football coach.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DynaPaul
        • Sep 2003

All talk, no action. I'll be surprised if they beat the Bretts today.

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

Many of them pretty much quit for most of the 2nd half of the season.

So why would they now decide to not quit ?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

Lottery odds.

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

"It's not about trying to screw up somebody else, we just want to end on a good note and get some wins and get a good feeling about what we did in the season," said cornerback Terrence McGee.

J.P. Losman, who will start at quarterback in place of injured Trent Edwards, agreed.

"We will find out what kind of guys we have, character guys we have," he said. "We want to finish out the season strong on a positive note."

I just love that last comment from the mental midget. I hope a reporter throws it back in his face today when he go's 14-30 130 yrds, 1 INT, and a couple of fumbles.

I wish certain people would just shut the **** up.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

It would be in the best interest of the Bills to win out, playoffs or not. I'd much rather be stuck with a pick in the 16-20 range than one in the 8-12 range again. Less pressure to make the right choice, more likely to find a trade partner, and honestly, there just isn't much talent that can come right in and help Buffalo in the 8-12 range unless you want to draft someone too early (see Donte Whitner).

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

they should have had this mentality a few weeks ago.
                  I am The Batman.

Comment

• Dannyboy
                    Stayn' alive
                    • Nov 2002

They Quit Weeks Ago. What are you talking about?

I am so tired of seeing a down-and-out team say they still have a lot of fight and desire in them when they had plenty of opportunities earlier to prove it.

Comment

• Dannyboy
                      Stayn' alive
                      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Dreadnought94
                      It would be in the best interest of the Bills to win out, playoffs or not. I'd much rather be stuck with a pick in the 16-20 range than one in the 8-12 range again. Less pressure to make the right choice, more likely to find a trade partner, and honestly, there just isn't much talent that can come right in and help Buffalo in the 8-12 range unless you want to draft someone too early (see Donte Whitner).
                      I think it is too early to make that assumption. When has better ever not been better anyway?

Comment

Working...
                      X