PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprised that no one is talking about Duke Preston's hit on the ref....

Michael82
12-14-2008, 05:04 PM
It was hilarious! He took his hands and purposed shoved Jeff Triplett to the ground. If you missed it, watch the highlights here and go to the end where JP fumbles the ball. It happened right before the Jets got in the endzone with the football.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29746&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter

Michael82
12-14-2008, 05:16 PM
He even fell face first into the ground and his hat flew off! :snicker:

sorry, but I've never been a big fan of Triplett and felt that the officiating was pretty crappy today.

chernobylwraiths
12-14-2008, 05:23 PM
The Bills lost a game to the Dolphins because of hit like that? Does anybody remember Pat Tomay?

jamze132
12-14-2008, 05:30 PM
It was hilarious! He took his hands and purposed shoved Jeff Triplett to the ground. If you missed it, watch the highlights here and go to the end where JP fumbles the ball. It happened right before the Jets got in the endzone with the football.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29746&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter
Dude it was so obvious today that the refs were trying to get Bret and Co. the win. Obviously one or two of the guys on the ref squad weren't on board with the evil scheme but Triplett sure was. Duke will be suspended for that hit but his sorry ass excuse for an O-lineman just earned some cool points in my eyes.

TacklingDummy
12-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Dude it was so obvious today that the refs were trying to get Bret and Co. the win.

On Favre's long INT Denney hit him in the head and it wasn't called.
Missed calls go both ways.

HHURRICANE
12-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Dude it was so obvious today that the refs were trying to get Bret and Co. the win. Obviously one or two of the guys on the ref squad weren't on board with the evil scheme but Triplett sure was. Duke will be suspended for that hit but his sorry ass excuse for an O-lineman just earned some cool points in my eyes.

I don't know if he deserves a suspension because he actually had a line to the player and the ref was in the way.

Lexwhat
12-14-2008, 05:44 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't think I've seen a funnier play in the NFL than that.

It almost looks like Preston didn't know that he was pushing a ref. Either way, I bet he gets suspended for the rest of the year, without pay.

Mr. Pink
12-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm shocked there wasn't a penalty on the play and ejection.

ajsdx
12-14-2008, 06:07 PM
that's a tough call...obviously you can't push the ref (especially like that), but he was watching the game end before his eyes.

jamze132
12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Denney's little hit wasn't really illegal. He was being held by the LT and it was incidental contact. Brett was "diving" so much the entire game, I thought he was in the NHL...

tat2dmike77
12-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Denney's little hit wasn't really illegal. He was being held by the LT and it was incidental contact. Brett was "diving" so much the entire game, I thought he was in the NHL...

No crap Favre was taking so many dives it was getting ridiculous i said at one point in the game thats a 2 minute penalty.

Mad Bomber
12-14-2008, 07:12 PM
It was great. The guy was in his way, and he didn't even think twice about it. He saw an opposing player with the ball running toward the end zone, and someone got in his way. He gave him a push. No big deal in my eyes.

Borosai
12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
As silly as it may sound, that ref needs to learn how to fall down. It's not like his hands were tied. (Were they?)

colin
12-14-2008, 08:49 PM
that was our highlight along with lynch!

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2008, 08:52 PM

Except that was not a penalty.

The refs were fine today.

Typ0
12-14-2008, 09:05 PM
that's really funny...thanks for pointing it out. He won't get suspended the ref was in a bad spot that was a big TD.

ajsdx
12-14-2008, 09:48 PM
As silly as it may sound, that ref needs to learn how to fall down. It's not like his hands were tied. (Were they?)

It's all good. He managed to break his fall with his face.

tat2dmike77
12-14-2008, 09:51 PM
It was the play of the game if you ask me :up:

DraftBoy
12-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Honestly I didnt like it at all. There is no need to forcefully push the official out of the way. Preston was not going to make a play and I dont believe he mistook an official for an opposing player.

I would not be surprised nor would I have any issue with Preston being both fined and suspended for that play. It was a classless act by him and I can't support it at all.

The refs did fine today, they are going to miss calls but there was nothing so horrible it came close to affecting the outcome of the game.

EricStratton
12-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Honestly I didnt like it at all. There is no need to forcefully push the official out of the way. Preston was not going to make a play and I dont believe he mistook an official for an opposing player.

Duke was the last player to hit Ellis at the 1 or 2 yard line, how can you say he didn't have a chance to make the play.

DraftBoy
12-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Duke was the last player to hit Ellis at the 1 or 2 yard line, how can you say he didn't have a chance to make the play.

Review the video its because he was shoved into the player by a Jet not because he magically flew 5 yards at over 300 pounds.

Stewie
12-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Honestly I didnt like it at all. There is no need to forcefully push the official out of the way. .

huh? there was a live ball on the field... what are you talking about

hydro
12-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Preston's first pancake of the year. Give him a hand people! :bf1:

DraftBoy
12-14-2008, 10:42 PM
huh? there was a live ball on the field... what are you talking about

So you were ok with the hit Sapp laid on Clifton a few years ago over 30 yards away from the play, under the excuse of a live ball being on the field?? That hit gave Clifton a concussion and he was out for quite a few weeks after that if memory serves me right, the hit was almost 6 years ago or so now.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2008, 10:50 PM
So you were ok with the hit Sapp laid on Clifton a few years ago over 30 yards away from the play, under the excuse of a live ball being on the field?? That hit gave Clifton a concussion and he was out for quite a few weeks after that if memory serves me right, the hit was almost 6 years ago or so now.

How are the two anything alike? You are grasping at straws.

Preston was not even close to 30 yards away and was trying to make a play. Sapp was just making a dirty hit on a player that was defenseless.

The two have no similarities. Preston was trying to tackle the player with the ball and got damn close to doing it.

jaybo_05
12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't think he should be suspended or fined any amount. The ref was inbetween him and the play and you could certainly argue that if he wasn't there Preston would have made the stop around the 1.

Anyway, he didn't really SHOVE him, he gave him a push that was barely hard enough to get him off balance and for some reason he fell right on his face! It's not Preston's fault the ref can't simply put his hands out. I'm sure he never intended for that to be the outcome.

DraftBoy
12-14-2008, 10:57 PM
How are the two anything alike? You are grasping at straws.

Preston was not even close to 30 yards away and was trying to make a play. Sapp was just making a dirty hit on a player that was defenseless.

The two have no similarities. Preston was trying to tackle the player with the ball and got damn close to doing it.

I didnt say the situations were a like in any regard. Paul's defense of Preston's play was that there was a live ball. Not that Preston was close to him or in the play. Well in the Sapp play the ball was live to, does that make his hit ok?

Preston wasn't that close the only reason he touched Ellis was because he was blocked into him, not because he was attempting a tackle on him, its clear on the video of the play.

Dr. Lecter
12-14-2008, 11:00 PM
I didnt say the situations were a like in any regard. Paul's defense of Preston's play was that there was a live ball. Not that Preston was close to him or in the play. Well in the Sapp play the ball was live to, does that make his hit ok?

Preston wasn't that close the only reason he touched Ellis was because he was blocked into him, not because he was attempting a tackle on him, its clear on the video of the play.

Then why bring the damn play into the conversation??????

Yes, he touched him. After he had to go through the ref! Without having to go through him, he MIGHT have had a chance. He was close enough to the play he had to make an attempt to get there. Saying Preston was not close is wrong. His push of the ref is clear in the replay of Ellis picking it up and running it in. So he was close.

SeatownBillsFan21
12-14-2008, 11:07 PM
This is funny but dudes just tryin to make a play no real headline here nice job turk,JP good play.

DraftBoy
12-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Then why bring the damn play into the conversation??????

Yes, he touched him. After he had to go through the ref! Without having to go through him, he MIGHT have had a chance. He was close enough to the play he had to make an attempt to get there. Saying Preston was not close is wrong. His push of the ref is clear in the replay of Ellis picking it up and running it in. So he was close.

Umm because the point is that just because there is a live ball on the field does not give a player free reign to lay out anybody they want...

I disagree, even without the ref I dont see Preston making up those 5 or so yards. He literally was thrown into Ellis by a block, it wasn't like it was a combo of him jumping for the tackle and getting blocked for an extra push.

LtFinFan66
12-14-2008, 11:22 PM

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29746&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenterThe Umpire in the Dolphin game got crunched by two Dolphins and ended up with a cut lip and a tooth knocked out

Ebenezer
12-15-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm shocked there wasn't a penalty on the play and ejection.
I agree...he will get fined.

Michael82
12-15-2008, 12:04 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't think I've seen a funnier play in the NFL than that.

It almost looks like Preston didn't know that he was pushing a ref. Either way, I bet he gets suspended for the rest of the year, without pay.
I don't see him getting suspended, maybe fined, but not suspended. He was still close to the Jets player and may have been trying to make the tackle.

Michael82
12-15-2008, 12:09 AM
The Umpire in the Dolphin game got crunched by two Dolphins and ended up with a cut lip and a tooth knocked out
:rofl: I have noticed quite a few times where the refs are right in the middle of the action and basically in the way of the players. I always laugh when I see them get tackled or knocked over.

Lexwhat
12-15-2008, 01:21 AM
I don't see him getting suspended, maybe fined, but not suspended. He was still close to the Jets player and may have been trying to make the tackle.

Roger Goodell is pretty hardcore about protecting the refs. There's only 2 games left in the season, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him suspended for those.

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Michael82
12-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Looks like Triplette disagrees with those of you who think he will be suspended. He doesn't even blame Duke....

With 1:54 remaining, Abram Elam (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8022/;_ylt=AizvBuevUED3OQtjI6KbvZodsLYF) sacked J.P. Losman (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6781/;_ylt=AkyKCnsKWQ7WQ9t2M3y9JzQdsLYF) from behind and caused a fumble, and Ellis picked up the ball and rumbled into the end zone. During the hectic play, Bills center Duke Preston (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7298/;_ylt=ArSIAzSy.xv_X_IS6YBf77wdsLYF) hit Triplette from behind.
“There’s nothing he could’ve done to prevent that,” Triplette said. “It’s a loose ball, it’s a fumble and it’s just football.”

Preston sought him after the game to check on him and apologize.
“He’s a really classy young man because he came to the locker room afterward and wanted to know if I was OK,” Triplette said. “Whoever No. 75 is, he’s a really classy young man.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AlJYzy1R2Rn1HPj9BwoNaaQdsLYF?slug=ap-nflinjuries&prov=ap&type=lgns

HHURRICANE
12-15-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't know if he deserves a suspension because he actually had a line to the player and the ref was in the way.

Mikey, I said the same thing yesterday.

TedMock
12-15-2008, 09:47 AM
It if was intentionally dirty I would be all for suspending and fining Duke. When you watch that play, it's obvious that he wasn't trying to give the ref a shot. He didn't even look at the ref. He just gave the guy a quick shove out of the way while his attention was focused on the man with the ball. It's unfortunate for Tripplette, but it wasn't dirty and it doesn't warrant a fine or suspension.

Typ0
12-18-2008, 02:29 PM

absolutely there was nothing wrong with this hit. It was a legal hit in the field of play and it was after a turnover where the defense is trying to advance the ball into the endzone. You pick a guy and take him out of the play with a legal block. It's not Sapps fault the guy wasn't paying attention. Sapp was doing his job and anyone that thinks it was too "viscious" might want to start watching non-contact sports.

madness
12-18-2008, 03:01 PM
:rofl: Too funny.

The same jews still yelling "crucify him!" everytime a topic like this rolls around.

Mr. Pink
12-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Looks like Triplette disagrees with those of you who think he will be suspended. He doesn't even blame Duke....

Triplett is used to being pushed around by players.

He's the guy that flung a flag into Orlando Brown's eye and then got knocked down because of it.

Michael82
12-18-2008, 07:44 PM

He's the guy that flung a flag into Orlando Brown's eye and then got knocked down because of it.
:rofl: I almost forgot about that one.

Owen DeBoard
12-18-2008, 11:17 PM

He's the guy that flung a flag into Orlando Brown's eye and then got knocked down because of it.:lol: