PDA

View Full Version : Decision to fire Jauron should come to pass

shelby
12-15-2008, 04:38 AM
It wasn't Ralph Wilson doing the laughing after this one. It was the Jets, many of whom were snickering into their lockers when they were asked about the decisive play in Sunday's astonishing 31-27 victory over the Bills. You'd be laughing, too, if the opposing coach had just handed you a big football game, allowing you to stay atop the AFC East. It was a hoot, all right, although I doubt Bills fans found it very funny when Shaun Ellis ran J.P. Losman's fumble into the end zone with 1:54 to play.
It seems I've asked this too many times lately, but how much more can you people take? If the Cleveland, San Francisco and Miami games didn't send you over the edge, might this one do the trick? Did you even bother to watch it?
Oh, and raise your hand if you still think Dick Jauron should be in charge of the Bills next season. The guy is an established failure as a head coach. So what does he do? With his team on the verge of an upset win, a triumph that could help him make the case for continued employment in Buffalo, he tries his hand as an offensive coordinator.
Let's reset the crucial play, if you can bear to relive it:
The Bills are leading, 27-24, with 2:06 to play. They have second-and-5 at their 27. Instead of playing it safe, they call for Losman to attempt a rollout pass to the fullback. Losman gets sacked from behind, fumbles, and Ellis scoops up the ball and runs it in for the winning TD.
"That's mine," Jauron said. "That goes straight on me. It clearly caused us to lose the game."
It was big of Jauron to take the blame. It's possible he took the fall for Turk Schonert. But it doesn't matter. Whether Jauron made the call or not, he's right. It's his fault. Even if it had been Schonert's call, it was Jauron's job to bring him to his senses.
Both Jauron and Schonert tried to justify the call by pointing out that there had been 2:06 left on the clock. The two-minute warning was coming up, so an incomplete pass wouldn't have given the Jets an extra play. The clock would stop anyway.

more... (http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/jerrysullivan/story/523223.html)

Mitchy moo
12-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Sully made some valid points here but is RW listening??

Hiring a guy like Cowher would fill the stadium for the rest of his life.

lordofgun
12-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Great article!

Forward_Lateral
12-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Dick's reward: A 3 year extention. Nice.

I was one of the idiots that wanted him extended too. I'm sorry.

HHURRICANE
12-15-2008, 07:54 AM

Me as well. regret level high!!

ddaryl
12-15-2008, 08:14 AM
I didn't want him exteneded until the season was done... It makes no sense to extend someone until you see results worthy of it.

We all said playoffs was the deciding factor, so why is he extended ?

trapezeus
12-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Sully made some valid points here but is RW listening??

Hiring a guy like Cowher would fill the stadium for the rest of his life.

Skoob, Hiring anyone will fill the stadium for the rest of his life. Anyone signed to a three year contract will probably do the trick, realistically.

Michael82
12-15-2008, 09:58 AM

I wanted him extended too. I also apologize. What the **** was I thinking? :ill: :puke:

Ebenezer
12-15-2008, 10:29 AM
It was easy to want an extension when the team was 5-1.