PDA

View Full Version : With the 11th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the Buffalo Bills Select...

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:25 AM
QB Sam Bradford-Oklahoma...thoughts?

Forward_Lateral
12-15-2008, 07:26 AM
:rofl:

Dr. Lecter
12-15-2008, 07:26 AM
1st reaction? Ugh. I am not convinced that Trent is not the answer. There are other holes I would prefer to fill.

Who else is on the board?

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:28 AM
-Comes from a Shotgun based offense where he was completely surrounded by All-American caliber players.
-Needs a year on the bench learning a pro system
-Heisman Trophy Winner
-Good Arm, Good Accuracy
-Big Game Player, who has competitive fire
-21 years old
-539 of 783 (68.8%) for 7585 yards, 84 TD, and 14 INT Career Numbers

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:30 AM
1st reaction? Ugh. I am not convinced that Trent is not the answer. There are other holes I would prefer to fill.

Easier to answer is whose off the board;
Stafford
Oher
Smith
M. Johnson
Crabtree
Curry
Jenkins
Moreno
Wells
V. Davis

Night Train
12-15-2008, 07:31 AM
You know DB, I wouldn't be upset at all. ( I'm not being sarcastic,for once)

I'm very aware of all our other shortcomings like everyone else but we can't even start dreaming of winning unless we have the right coach & QB in place.

Edwards and his headaches,constant injuries and inconsistent play once November rolls around should raise red flags to any new coach watching film.

I'm looking at him, the kid from Georgia & others. Plus signing an experienced Vet.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:31 AM

Also keep in mind passing on a potential franchise QB because the guy we have has shown four good games, could be a mistake that haunts us for 2-3 more years at least.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:33 AM
You know DB, I wouldn't be upset at all. ( I'm not being sarcastic,for once)

I'm very aware of all our other shortcomings like everyone else but we can't even start dreaming of winning unless we have the right coach & QB in place.

Edwards and his headaches,constant injuries and inconsistent play once November rolls around should raise red flags to any new coach watching film.

I'm looking at him, the kid from Georgia & others. Plus signing an experienced Vet.

All good points raised. Ive tossing around the idea of going with Bradford for a few weeks now and only recently really decided Id like it. But it all hinges on us having a new GM and Coaching staff in here. You can't take a #1 QB and then change the entire coaching staff the next season, that would be detrimental to his development.

BlackMetalNinja
-Comes from a Shotgun based offense where he was completely surrounded by All-American caliber players.
<strike>-Heisman Trophy Winner</strike>
-Good Arm, Good Accuracy
-21 years old

I fixed that...

Troy Smith, Matt Leinart, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Charlie Ward, Gino Toretta, Ty Detmer, Andre Ware... I think you get the point.

DraftBoy
I fixed that...

Troy Smith, Matt Leinart, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Charlie Ward, Gino Toretta, Ty Detmer, Andre Ware... I think you get the point.

Yea Im not worried about that in the least, I could care less about other players. I dont buy the heisman curse.

User Manuel
12-15-2008, 07:35 AM
If he is there and we are convinced he is a true franchise type QB we should take him. If they have any doubts then take a pass.

Trent may be the answer, but I am tired of waiting on maybes.

I will accept in the alternative:

DT Terrance Cody
DE Michael Johnson
WR Jeremy Maclin

I seriously think the Bills should take a look at Matt Lienart if the Cards let him go. He could benefit from coming to a small NE market and could work out well if he re-focuses, but it depends on the cost.

BlackMetalNinja
12-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Yea Im not worried about that in the least, I could care less about other players. I dont buy the heisman curse.Of the three contenders this year, he certainly seems to be the best NFL fit... Still not sure... I'd really like an experienced vet at this point instead of trying to develop over and over again.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:37 AM
If he is there and we are convinced he is a true franchise type QB we should take him. If they have any doubts then take a pass.

Trent may be the answer, but I am tired of waiting on maybes.

I will accept in the alternative:

DT Terrance Cody
DE Michael Johnson
WR Jeremy Maclin

I seriously think the Bills should take a look at Matt Lienart if the Cards let him go. He could benefit from coming to a small NE market and could work out well if he re-focuses, but it depends on the cost.

Now you see I like Maclin a lot but where does he play for us?? You would think he'd be behind Evans, Reed, Johnson, and Hardy from Day 1 and he'd probably start as a ST return man all year. But does that mean we resigned Parrish to a nice deal and now we won't use him at all?? Id love to land Maclin but its just not realistic imo.

Cody I see as a potential pick if we switch the a 3-4 D. And if I prayed I would pray every night and day that Michael Johnson falls to us.

Dr. Lecter
Yea Im not worried about that in the least, I could care less about other players. I dont buy the heisman curse.

I don't think of it as a curse, just as an award for a great college player that has no bearing on his success or lack thereof in the NFL. It is irrelevant.

mysticsoto

Stop copying my mock draft. :D

BlackMetalNinja
12-15-2008, 07:38 AM
I don't think of it as a curse, just as an award for a great college player that has no bearing on his success or lack thereof in the NFL. It is irrelevant.That was the point I was getting at...

Night Train
12-15-2008, 07:38 AM
If we take WR,RB or CB, I'll throw something at my TV & know nothing has changed.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Of the three contenders this year, he certainly seems to be the best NFL fit... Still not sure... I'd really like an experienced vet at this point instead of trying to develop over and over again.

I agree with you there. His issue is Billy Bob runs a Shotgun based offense in Sooner Land so Sam is not used to getting under center and taking snaps (he didnt do it in HS either) so thats actually going to be a challenge for him in the pros.

Here is the good thing though, his offense was based on timing and quick reads so if there is one thing he can do its make quick decisions and get rid of the damn ball.

If the pick is Bradford then we need to have somebody else start just about every game next season (trent or whoever) and go from 2010 with Bradford as the QB. I dont think we are that close talent wise anyways to be perfectly honest.

Dr. Lecter
12-15-2008, 07:39 AM
That was the point I was getting at...

Sometimes you need to explain the obvious to DraftBoy.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:40 AM
I don't think of it as a curse, just as an award for a great college player that has no bearing on his success or lack thereof in the NFL. It is irrelevant.

Awards are never irrelevant, and I never said it had any bearing on NFL play. Just stating facts, kinda of like a resume.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Stop copying my mock draft. :D

You didnt even like giving the Bills the pick yourself so shut it. I was more enthusiastic about it then you were.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:42 AM
If we take WR,RB or CB, I'll throw something at my TV & know nothing has changed.

Ill just laugh and watch other teams destroy us again in April.

mysticsoto
12-15-2008, 07:49 AM
You didnt even like giving the Bills the pick yourself so shut it. I was more enthusiastic about it then you were.

You wanted Selvie....so promote him. I'm going to have to start calling you UltraDB if you continue to plagiarize my picks. :lol:

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 07:51 AM
You wanted Selvie....so promote him. I'm going to have to start calling you UltraDB if you continue to plagiarize my picks. :lol:

And Ill have to ban you if you ever compare me to that pos again.

mysticsoto
12-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Don't get touchy. Just remember me when you are writing your draft analysis articles...do you still have that job that you had mentioned?

Dr. Lecter
12-15-2008, 08:11 AM

Don't worry Mystic - I would re-instate you!

DraftChimp sounds better, imo!!!!

ddaryl
12-15-2008, 08:29 AM
we need the very best DE or OLB in the draft.

A FA vet QB to backup trent, but fact is trent deserves another.. He has played well. Remember Manning came in and looked worse then JP, stats wise, in his 1st 2 seasons !!!

mysticsoto
12-15-2008, 08:33 AM

DraftChimp...I like that. Has a nice ring to it. :)

Now I better go and copyright everything I write on the draft. :D

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Don't get touchy. Just remember me when you are writing your draft analysis articles...do you still have that job that you had mentioned?

Yes I start doing regular call-ins after the bowls if I understand the guy correctly. Won't be live I dont think, should be taped and then aired, we'll see though.

DraftBoy

You would....

DraftBoy
DraftChimp...I like that. Has a nice ring to it. :)

Now I better go and copyright everything I write on the draft. :D

Good luck with that...

You still up for another 7 rounder??

mysticsoto
12-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Good luck with that...

You still up for another 7 rounder??

Definitely, but I may not be as fast as I was last year with me starting a new job and all. But we'll see. Maybe I'll put more emphasis on the evenings also. It's the 1st 2-3 rds that take the longest anyway. 4-7 went relatively fast...

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Definitely, but I may not be as fast as I was last year with me starting a new job and all. But we'll see. Maybe I'll put more emphasis on the evenings also. It's the 1st 2-3 rds that take the longest anyway. 4-7 went relatively fast...

Agreed my current job doesnt allow for much internet usage during the day time. We'll work it out as it gets closer to the draft. Are you planning on doing anything else for the draft this year?

HHURRICANE
12-15-2008, 09:16 AM

If people haven't figured out that DE is our most pressing need in the draft than we deserve to be basement dwellers.

We need to sign a veteran QB, not a risky draft pick, to come in and either compete for the starting job or at least push and guide Edwards.

It's not like Edwards was too scared with having JP Loserman on the bench.

We made the same mistake with WR thinking that a rookie was somehow going to be the answer to our offense.

mysticsoto
12-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Agreed my current job doesnt allow for much internet usage during the day time. We'll work it out as it gets closer to the draft. Are you planning on doing anything else for the draft this year?

If I have time I may write some post draft analysis, but I probably won't have time to do much more. I'll help you as I can with the Zone guide...as I LOVE having that at my side when the draft begins!!! And if we do our BZ annual draft party in Rochester again, I'll go to that atleast for a little while...

acehole
12-15-2008, 09:25 AM

as long as he comes with a new coach 2 guards and a new center...

a free safty and 2 pass rushers...

mysticsoto
12-15-2008, 09:29 AM
If people haven't figured out that DE is our most pressing need in the draft than we deserve to be basement dwellers.

We need to sign a veteran QB, not a risky draft pick, to come in and either compete for the starting job or at least push and guide Edwards.

We made the same mistake with WR thinking that a rookie was somehow going to be the answer to our offense.

If Trent doesn't return to his early season level, then QB becomes a pressing need also. Teams like the Jets, Miami and Atlanta are doing fantastic b'cse they each got a good QB. We will never be a playoff team without that. Trent is up in the air right now. Some people may choose to gamble and say Trent is that QB. Others may say, let's got another top one just in case.

DE is a HUGE need also. But, is Ellis going to step up? Copeland Bryan has shown flashes from time to time. These last few games, I'd be giving them more chances to see if I think they will further develop or if they'll only be as mediocre as Denney and Kelsay. We already know what they have to offer.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 09:55 AM

DE is a huge need but you can't go reaching fro one at 11 either. I dont know that Orakpo is worth the 11th pick. He is a good DE, but right now I struggle to see him worth more than the 15th pick and I dont see Johnson sliding to us.

Im tired of everybody clamoring for a vet QB to come in and compete. There have been 4 or 5 different threads with accurate FA lists posted and there just isnt that vet QB starter than people are asking for, so lets deal with reality for a minute and stop this nonsense about what we want and deal with what we can get.

We didnt make a mistake with Hardy. The fans just don't know what to expect from a rookie WR, the Bills were smart to take Hardy where they did and I think he'll become a good WR in the NFL.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 09:55 AM
If I have time I may write some post draft analysis, but I probably won't have time to do much more. I'll help you as I can with the Zone guide...as I LOVE having that at my side when the draft begins!!! And if we do our BZ annual draft party in Rochester again, I'll go to that atleast for a little while...

Ill have to let you know about the guide, right now Im swamped at work and I still need to get out my post-season rankings, my Week 1 Bowl Preview, and put up more highlight videos in the Scouting Zone.

Mr. Pink
12-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Easy way to keep the ticket base high even with Dick Jauron coming back...

Draft a flashy guy.

Then market the hell out of him.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Draft a flashy guy.

Gotta do something big.

Michael82
12-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Draft a flashy guy.

It worked big time for the Falcons! :up:

mysticsoto
12-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Except I don't know how flashy a guy we can draft at #11. Although drafting QB Bradford would certainly get talked about...

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Except I don't know how flashy a guy we can draft at #11. Although drafting QB Bradford would certainly get talked about...

Bradford really is about flashy as it would get, I can't think of anybody else who really would get us a lot of ESPN/Fox/CBS/NFLN coverage as Bradford would.

RockStar36
12-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I think this team has too many other issues that need addressed. As long as people at the top stay the same, I don't see how this move will make a difference at all.

The Jokeman
12-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd prefer we trade down with a team like Detroit at pick 20 (courtesy of Roy Williams) and get their 3rd Rounder too and then draft a guy like Alex Mack in the 1st.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I'd prefer we trade down with a team like Detroit at pick 20 (courtesy of Roy Williams) and get their 3rd Rounder too and then draft a guy like Alex Mack.

Why?

The Jokeman
12-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Why?
Because I don't see a rookie QB making an impact on this team unless do something to improve the O-line and receiving corpse first which don't see us doing in free agency. Whereas a guy like Mack and a player in the 3rd acquired from Detroit might bring us more. If not Mack perhaps a TE like Chase Coffman be worth looking at pick 20 too. As to me a draft about the best collection of players.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Because I don't see a rookie QB making an impact on this team unless do something to improve the O-line and receiving corpse first. Whereas a guy like Mack and a player in the 3rd acquired from Detroit might bring us more. As to me a draft about the best collection of players. if not Mack perhaps a TE like Chase Coffman be worth looking at pick 20 too.

Unless the TE is Jermaine Gresham neither Mack nor any other TE is worth even close to the 20th overall pick imo. Your plan (at least imo) is reaching for players to fill needs which is what Buffalo always does and always gets screwed over in doing.

The Jokeman
12-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Unless the TE is Jermaine Gresham neither Mack nor any other TE is worth even close to the 20th overall pick imo. Your plan (at least imo) is reaching for players to fill needs which is what Buffalo always does and always gets screwed over in doing.
lol but at least we'd have an extra pick in the 3rd to hopefully find another player.

HHURRICANE
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM
I love the Matt Ryan example. This guy is the egnima and everyone acts like the next one will be even better.

You want to take a stupid risk than draft a QB in the first round. Edwards is good enough to be a starter here. I'm not sure he's Jim Kelly but he certainly is good enough to win games here.

A defense that can actually cause havoc, and a running game that is consistant, would do wonders for this team.

Do we even have a physical player on defense??

mysticsoto
12-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Scott Wright has us selecting TE Jermaine Gresham with his latest mock draft that just came out today (DB should be smiling at this one). He has us picking at #13...

<label>13</label> BUFFALO BILLS: JERMAINE GRESHAM, TE, OKLAHOMA

After getting off to a great start in 2008 the Bills regressed as the season wore on and a lot of the blame can be placed on their offenses inability to score points. With a young quarterback that is to be expected to a degree but they also need to add some more weapons and firepower. http://www.draftcountdown.com/images/mockaction/jermainegresham.jpg One area where they are in particular need of an upgrade is tight end and Jermaine Gresham is the best this class has to offer. A fantastic athlete with a great blend of size (6-6, 261) and speed, Gresham is like a wide receiver in a tight end's body and a real weapon in the passing game. He's not just a pass catcher though and he has some potential as a blocker as well. Just to give you an idea of what kind of threat Gresham is, he actually led the Sooners in touchdowns catches in 2008 and even broke one for 73 yards. You won't see many tight ends do that! Some might say the Bills prefer a tight end who is more of a blocker than a receiver, in which case Brandon Pettigrew might be a better fit, but I would argue they have that now with Robert Royal and it isn't working out very well. Buffalo could also use an upgrade at safety alongside Donte Whitner and don't rule out a defensive end either because Chris Kelsay & Ryan Denney aren't getting the job done.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Akhippo
12-15-2008, 11:59 AM
There is a definitive commonality with the good team. Defense and running the ball. Period.

Cassell with NE?
Tennessee with Collins?
Minnesota with Jackson?
Atlanta and Baltimore with rookie QB's?
Carolina/Dallas/NYG/Pittsburgh

For the most part these team dont have flashy QB's but are solid and on their way to the playoffs.

I want a franchise QB as much as anyone. But you have to have a SOLID system for them to come into. Or you end up with a Harrington/Smith/Carr/Young/Russell.

So we draft Bradford. We still have a bad offensive system to put him in and our defense is toothless. That would put us.... The same spot we are now.

I like our stable of wide receivers and running backs. We could use a tight end and center, but our draft, our whole draft should be defense.

A DE x 2, DT, OLB x 2, FS

PECKERWOOD
12-15-2008, 12:03 PM
I think it would be STUPID to pass on Bradford if he is there. We passed on Cutler awhile back and Bradford has lead one of the most explosive college offenses in the past 20 years and he was the catalyst for their production. PLUS, Bradford has the type of arm that could still be able to air it out late in the year at RWS when the conditions get nasty, I'm not certain that Trent has that. In my mind, you consider Bradford, Orakpo or Hardy here.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Scott Wright has us selecting TE Jermaine Gresham with his latest mock draft that just came out today (DB should be smiling at this one). He has us picking at #13...

<label>13</label> BUFFALO BILLS: JERMAINE GRESHAM, TE, OKLAHOMA

After getting off to a great start in 2008 the Bills regressed as the season wore on and a lot of the blame can be placed on their offenses inability to score points. With a young quarterback that is to be expected to a degree but they also need to add some more weapons and firepower. http://www.draftcountdown.com/images/mockaction/jermainegresham.jpg One area where they are in particular need of an upgrade is tight end and Jermaine Gresham is the best this class has to offer. A fantastic athlete with a great blend of size (6-6, 261) and speed, Gresham is like a wide receiver in a tight end's body and a real weapon in the passing game. He's not just a pass catcher though and he has some potential as a blocker as well. Just to give you an idea of what kind of threat Gresham is, he actually led the Sooners in touchdowns catches in 2008 and even broke one for 73 yards. You won't see many tight ends do that! Some might say the Bills prefer a tight end who is more of a blocker than a receiver, in which case Brandon Pettigrew might be a better fit, but I would argue they have that now with Robert Royal and it isn't working out very well. Buffalo could also use an upgrade at safety alongside Donte Whitner and don't rule out a defensive end either because Chris Kelsay & Ryan Denney aren't getting the job done.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

WHY IN THE HELL WOULD I BE SMILING??

He wants us to pass on Johnson for Gresham?? He's getting another email from me, not that he'll respond, but stupid **** like this from him pisses me off. He's a smart guy but he at times doesnt appear to really think at all.

Michael82
12-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Edwards is good enough to be a starter here. I'm not sure he's Jim Kelly but he certainly is good enough to win games here.

Two things....

1. He's not good enough to win games in the winter yet. He hasn't shown that he can play well in bad weather yet.

2. He's more injury prone than Tim Connolly and I'm not just talking about his pro career. Look back in college too. He was always injured and can't stay healthy.

mysticsoto
12-15-2008, 12:10 PM
WHY IN THE HELL WOULD I BE SMILING??

He wants us to pass on Johnson for Gresham?? He's getting another email from me, not that he'll respond, but stupid **** like this from him pisses me off. He's a smart guy but he at times doesnt appear to really think at all.

I thought you liked Gresham. My mistake...

Why are you so high on Johnson. For a person with his physical attributes, he doesn't produce as much as he should. If he can't against college level personnel...how's he going to fare against tougher, faster and stronger opponents in the pros?

I mean, Scott hits it right here: A freakish athlete with great size (6-7, 260) and excellent speed (4.65), Johnson has all the tools to be an elite sack artist. However, he often disappears for long stretches, is a liability against the run and he may be nothing more than a situation pass rusher at the next level.

And I can't blame him for choosing Gresham. I mean look at us...our O is the biggest problem right now. Makes sense for someone on the outside to try and gives us some help in the area...

HHURRICANE
12-15-2008, 12:10 PM
There is a definitive commonality with the good team. Defense and running the ball. Period.

Cassell with NE?
Tennessee with Collins?
Minnesota with Jackson?
Atlanta and Baltimore with rookie QB's?
Carolina/Dallas/NYG/Pittsburgh

For the most part these team dont have flashy QB's but are solid and on their way to the playoffs.

I want a franchise QB as much as anyone. But you have to have a SOLID system for them to come into. Or you end up with a Harrington/Smith/Carr/Young/Russell.

So we draft Bradford. We still have a bad offensive system to put him in and our defense is toothless. That would put us.... The same spot we are now.

I like our stable of wide receivers and running backs. We could use a tight end and center, but our draft, our whole draft should be defense.

A DE x 2, DT, OLB x 2, FS

Post of the day!!!!!

Even the draft guy that's being quoted says "young QB".

I said before the season started that there would be way too much presuure on Edwards to win games.

We need a punishing run game. Lynch and Jackson are good enough so the Center has to be addressed immediately.

DEs and LBs have to be the priority in this draft.

Now if we can get a vet WR or TE that can make a difference than we should go for it in FA.

Dr. Lecter
12-15-2008, 12:14 PM
While I am OK with DE or OLB, the team needs to improve offense first.

Despite our *****ing about the defense, they are going to finish the season around 10-15th ranked. The offense will be near 30. Improve the offense to even 20th and that makes a big difference (and very well could help the defense as well).

Find a OL (not the biggest guy out there, just the best. There is enough size on the line) or TE or WR that is ready to contribute. Make this offense better!

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I thought you liked Gresham. My mistake...

Why are you so high on Johnson. For a person with his physical attributes, he doesn't produce as much as he should. If he can't against college level personnel...how's he going to fare against tougher, faster and stronger opponents in the pros?

I mean, Scott hits it right here: A freakish athlete with great size (6-7, 260) and excellent speed (4.65), Johnson has all the tools to be an elite sack artist. However, he often disappears for long stretches, is a liability against the run and he may be nothing more than a situation pass rusher at the next level.

And I can't blame him for choosing Gresham. I mean look at us...our O is the biggest problem right now. Makes sense for someone on the outside to try and gives us some help in the area...

I like Gresham in the low teens or 20's not at 13, too much of a reach for us to take him there.

Ive seen Johnson play in every game for the last two years. He does not disappear in games, he is run away from. I think the stat is somewhere around 65% of the amount of plays teams run against GT that are designed to go to the oppositte side of Johnson. That is exactly the same way people played against Peppers. He faces DT's on every play and gets chipped. Even when he is not in the play, he is a factor in determining it. His stats come nowhere close to telling the entire story about Johnson. I disagree with Scott's assessment (no shock), this guy is not a liability against the run, and I dont know where he gets that from. Ask a Hurricanes fan about Michael Johnson and how much he disappears?

I understand the logic behind taking Gresham I just dont think its our wisest move.

trapezeus
12-15-2008, 01:11 PM
if the bills miss on taking a studly DL yet again this year, i will shoot myself.

bflojohn
12-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Draftboy, I don't have a problem whatsoever with Sam Bradford as the pick (although we are going to draft higher!), my question is what do you have being taken in the second and rhird rounds after the fact? I've said that I wouldn't mind a trade-up scenario to snag Alex Mack late in the first or early second IF, for example, he is a player the Bills would covet. I feel that this team with the right picks offensively, could legitimately challenge next year. Mortgaging the future slightly to bolster 2009 is plausible to me....thoughts??

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Draftboy, I don't have a problem whatsoever with Sam Bradford as the pick (although we are going to draft higher!), my question is what do you have being taken in the second and rhird rounds after the fact? I've said that I wouldn't mind a trade-up scenario to snag Alex Mack late in the first or early second IF, for example, he is a player the Bills would covet. I feel that this team with the right picks offensively, could legitimately challenge next year. Mortgaging the future slightly to bolster 2009 is plausible to me....thoughts??

I think you have to address DE and OLB in Round 2 and 3 if possible. OC in Round 4, TE in Round 5, OL, and WR in Round 6 and 7.

BillsWin
12-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Ive watched him in person DB. my only worries is that he hasn't faced consistent pressure. no QB would behind THAT O-line

The guy is the real deal. proto type QB. amazing to watch.

but can he face the NFL pass rush?

cookie G
12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
-Heisman Trophy Winner
-Good Arm, Good Accuracy
-21 years old

He really only started playing exclusively out of the shotgun this year. OU used a lot of drop back and PA last year. I agree with everything else you said.

Facing a non Big 12 D like Florida's is going to be a good test for him.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 03:18 PM
He came from a shotgun oriented offense is HS if I recall his Rivals scouting report right.

RockStar36
12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Two things....

1. He's not good enough to win games in the winter yet. He hasn't shown that he can play well in bad weather yet.

2. He's more injury prone than Tim Connolly and I'm not just talking about his pro career. Look back in college too. He was always injured and can't stay healthy.

His best statistical game was in cold weather.

RockStar36
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
This team needs to completely revamp the defense. I'd say almost everyone is subject to review and possibly moving on. I hate the entire scheme they run too.

When I was watching the Pittsburgh/Baltimore game, I kept commenting on how they have attacking defenses and what a huge difference is compared to the Bills.

HughC
12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Games are won and lost in the trenches. I disagree with the idea about using the first pick on a QB. First three picks should be used on the DL, a pass-rushing OLB, and OL, in my opinion.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 03:44 PM
This team needs to completely revamp the defense. I'd say almost everyone is subject to review and possibly moving on. I hate the entire scheme they run too.

When I was watching the Pittsburgh/Baltimore game, I kept commenting on how they have attacking defenses and what a huge difference is compared to the Bills.

If we could move to an aggressive 4-3 scheme like the NYG do it could do wonders!!

gr8slayer
12-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Bradford will be a bum in the NFL. I'd pass, give me:

- Orakpo (if available)
- Taylor Mays (FS replacement from day one, must have if you stick with C2. 6'3 230 pounds of bad mother ****er)
- Michael Johnson (if available)

The Buffalo Bills need to work on getting some guys in here that can play the freaking C2 if they are going to stick with it. All of the above mentioned can play it and play it well.

Devin
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Sam Bradford is going to be a stud. I read a scouting report on him that basically stopped short of calling him the next Brady. I managed to watch almost all his games this season.

Now while I dont know if that will be true, he is without question a fantastic QB prospect and far better the any coming out this year. He has it all imo.

While Id be surprised I wouldnt be dissapointed.

gr8slayer
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Sam Bradford is going to be a stud. I read a scouting report on him that basically stopped short of calling him the next Brady. I managed to watch almost all his games this season.

Now while I dont know if that will be true, he is without question a fantastic QB prospect and far better the any coming out this year. He has it all imo.

While Id be surprised I wouldnt be dissapointed.
You can have him.

patmoran2006
12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Way too many posts to sift through here, but I did hear Casserly say that Bradford woudl get consideration for the top pick of the draft.

Does that seem accurate?

gr8slayer
12-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Way too many posts to sift through here, but I did hear Casserly say that Bradford woudl get consideration for the top pick of the draft.

Does that seem accurate?
Perhaps, especially if Stafford doesn't declare.

patmoran2006
12-15-2008, 04:26 PM

- Orakpo (if available)
- Taylor Mays (FS replacement from day one, must have if you stick with C2. 6'3 230 pounds of bad mother ****er)

The Buffalo Bills need to work on getting some guys in here that can play the freaking C2 if they are going to stick with it. All of the above mentioned can play it and play it well.
I dont know **** about Taylor Mays right now, but I will kill whomever makes that pick for Buffalo if we take a safety near the top 10 ever again, especially when we guys like Kelsay, Ellison and Preston starting.

Devin
12-15-2008, 04:28 PM

Does that seem accurate?

Likely so. Stafford isnt near the QB Bradford is. Ive gotten to see more GA games then id like to admit here unfortunatley.

Course if Detriot is smart they push for Cassell and fill another need. But thats asking a lot of the Lions lol.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 05:02 PM

- Orakpo (if available)

That's a bold statement given that Bradford is widely thought of as one of the top prospects in this class. You are by far in the minority with that statement.

And please don't ever mention that overrated piece of crap in Taylor Mays again as an option in the 1st Round. He is brutal in coverage, good tackler, big hitter, but his hips are not fluid enough to be a turn and run safety. Plus I question his play recognition skills. I dont think he is a big time prospect but rather an over hyped prospect.

gr8slayer
12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
That's a bold statement given that Bradford is widely thought of as one of the top prospects in this class. You are by far in the minority with that statement.

And please don't ever mention that overrated piece of crap in Taylor Mays again as an option in the 1st Round. He is brutal in coverage, good tackler, big hitter, but his hips are not fluid enough to be a turn and run safety. Plus I question his play recognition skills. I dont think he is a big time prospect but rather an over hyped prospect.
Yeah yeah, I've heard it a million times with guys like Leaf and Harrington.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah yeah, I've heard it a million times with guys like Leaf and Harrington.

Neither Leaf nor Harrington were talked about like Bradford, neither played anywhere near the same level of competition as Bradford either. Your comparison is unfair and you know it.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
does it matter who they pick if Dick and Company are still at the helm?

gr8slayer
12-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Neither Leaf nor Harrington were talked about like Bradford, neither played anywhere near the same level of competition as Bradford either. Your comparison is unfair and you know it.
I really don't care about hype and who is talked about more. I prefer to make my own assumptions..... The level of competition theory is a poor way to judge a player going into the NFL. I feel that taking Bradford anywhere before the late first round would be a mistake for any team, especially with guys like Cassel running around on the market. Until the NFL makes it more affordable to draft a QB in the first round I will always avoid it at all costs.

On the topic of the thread... The Bills have far more reaching needs than QB at this juncture. Bradford would do far less for the Bills than a premier pass rusher would do. I understand the point behind you making the thread, it's just not a very intelligent decision for a Bills team with so many needs. But I know that you already know that....

baalworship
12-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I would love Bradford but most mocks I am seeing him as a top 5 pick, if not the top pick overall.

If he is gone then we need to get a REAL DE. If none is available in our spot drop back and grab Gresham and use the extra pick to grab a center and a DE second round.

Devin
12-15-2008, 06:20 PM
I dont disagree that the Bills have more pressing needs.

However that said a good QB fixes a lot of problems. Ask Atlanta.

I agree with you about financials but again, I dont believe anyone in Atlanta has a problem with what they are paying Matt Ryan.

DraftBoy
12-15-2008, 06:25 PM
I really don't care about hype and who is talked about more. I prefer to make my own assumptions..... The level of competition theory is a poor way to judge a player going into the NFL. I feel that taking Bradford anywhere before the late first round would be a mistake for any team, especially with guys like Cassel running around on the market. Until the NFL makes it more affordable to draft a QB in the first round I will always avoid it at all costs.

On the topic of the thread... The Bills have far more reaching needs than QB at this juncture. Bradford would do far less for the Bills than a premier pass rusher would do. I understand the point behind you making the thread, it's just not a very intelligent decision for a Bills team with so many needs. But I know that you already know that....

You made the comparison to the overhyped QB's who had bad throwing motions and needed to be corrected, and you dont expect to be called out about that?? The level of competition theory may be weak but you haven't provided one point to support your point that Bradford will be a bum in the NFL.

I dont see how Matt Cassel being available in any way makes any team think twice about going after a Stafford or Bradford. Cassel isn't a bad QB but he's not franchise QB, not saying either of these guys are but Id take my chances with them over Cassel.

I disagree that this isnt a big need for Buffalo. Look where we are picking at 11, Orakpo is a slight reach here, Curry is gone, where is the most logical pick?? Its gotta be BPA at this point (and you know I hate that) and Bradford makes a ton of sense.

PECKERWOOD
12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
BRADFORD IS NOT A REACH AT 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is the best available QB in the country at this point.

The Jokeman
12-16-2008, 07:16 PM
BRADFORD IS NOT A REACH AT 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is the best available QB in the country at this point.
Yet is QB really a position of weakness? I mean Trent Edwards was getting MVP talk when this team was winning. I truly believe Edwards is an above average QB but his surrounding cast at TE and WR are rather weak. Also I think we have some serious questions on the O-line specifically at Center. Before I proposed trading down to take Alex Mack. While I agree with Draftboy he might not be worth the 20th overall pick I like the idea of trading down and getting a high 3rd in return. The thing with Mack is every scouting report grades him as a first round talent which says a lot for him being a center. He's got the size we enjoy and have read some comparisons to Matt Birk who is one of the best Centers in the NFL and with both Melvin Fowler and Duke Preston due to be UFAs and doubting we'd bring in Jason Brown in free agency think a guy like Mack as a solid choice so long we shore up some other needs in free agency. As to me it's asking a lot for a rookie WR or TE to make an impact so rather shore up these needs in free agency where feel a rookie can make an impact on the O-line, D-line or LB more easily. That's not to give Edwards a complete free pass either as wouldn't mind bringing in a veteran backup and drafting a guy in the 5th-7th Round either to develop just in case Edwards doesn't pan out.

PECKERWOOD
12-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Yet is QB really a position of weakness? I mean Trent Edwards was getting MVP talk when this team was winning. I truly believe Edwards is an above average QB but his surrounding cast at TE and WR are rather weak. Also I think we have some serious questions on the O-line specifically at Center. Before I proposed trading down to take Alex Mack. While I agree with Draftboy he might not be worth the 20th overall pick I like the idea of trading down and getting a high 3rd in return. The thing with Mack is every scouting report grades him as a first round talent which says a lot for him being a center. He's got the size we enjoy and have read some comparisons to Matt Birk who is one of the best Centers in the NFL and with both Melvin Fowler and Duke Preston due to be UFAs and doubting we'd bring in Jason Brown in free agency think a guy like Mack as a solid choice so long we shore up some other needs in free agency. As to me it's asking a lot for a rookie WR or TE to make an impact so rather shore up these needs in free agency where feel a rookie can make an impact on the O-line, D-line or LB more easily. That's not to give Edwards a complete free pass either as wouldn't mind bringing in a veteran backup and drafting a guy in the 5th-7th Round either to develop just in case Edwards doesn't pan out.

The way I feel about Trent Edwards... I think he is an injury proned *****. Whatever, he maybe a good QB while healthy but my initial concern about Trent Edwards STILL STANDS, the guy cannot play a whole season healthy for the life of him. Some people have made good points about taking a DE in the 1st and I'm partial to their opinions as well.. I want either a QB or DE in the first round.

ryjam282
12-16-2008, 09:22 PM
I actually really like Trent, just think he's changed after that hit....Not sure if Turk has changed things around to accommodate or just his changing...Not sure, but I gotta tell ya, if Stafford is there at our pick we have our franchise QB. I never throw around the word franchise QB but he is definitely it. He would be our QB for the next 10-12 years. I really think he's that good. With our young WR's, he would would be a great fit.....

Dujek
12-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Easier to answer is whose off the board;
Stafford
Oher
Smith
M. Johnson
Crabtree
Curry
Jenkins
Moreno
Wells
V. Davis

If that is the list of the players who are gone, then I say

MLB Rey Maualuga
6'2" 255lbs of pure wrecking machine

Poz takes Crowell's position and Maualuga kills RBs.

X-Era
12-17-2008, 06:03 AM
-Heisman Trophy Winner
-Good Arm, Good Accuracy
-21 years old

At 11, we should be drafting someone who can make the biggest impact on our team. If your not coinvinced that Trent is the answer, QB is one of the biggest impact positions. I should say that your QB play makes a huge impact on your results (just ask JP).

That said, Im not sure we have seen all we need to see from Trent.

So who else is worth that pick?

Brian Orakpo
Everrette Brown- you may say hes a reach, but Scouts Inc doesnt think so

X-Era
12-17-2008, 06:10 AM

I do not disagree with this thought... assuming Trent still is a possibility. If the Bills are convinced he cant be the guy, QB becomes the #1 priority.

And at that point, Im starting to think level of competition is huge when it comes to being the most NFL ready.

I would offer that much of Matt Ryans success has to do with not only his ability, but that his success so early is due to who he played against in the ACC.

This year, there was no conference as dominant as the Big 12, and Bradford faced them, and won all but one game.

Yes, his supporting cast was very good, but he still had to take the snap and throw the ball, on target. He still has the evaluated ability that he has (see DB's comments). Add in his level of competition and you have a very good shot at getting a good one. But yes, its all a crap shoot, but that also applies to all positions.

I would not be unhappy with this pick, but thats because Im unsure about Trent being the guy.

After QB, I agree that no position could impact us more than DE. But I say that only because there is a huge drop off at OLB after Curry and Curry may not be there.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Alright...

Remember back to when we were 5-1...

The QB was great, the coaching was fine, the defense was fine etc..

What's happened since week 7? BAD QB PLAY.

All of a sudden, the entire team looks worse, the coaching is terrible, etc...

Consistent QB play fixes a lot of woes.

Jeff1220
12-17-2008, 07:19 AM
They take the best available player!

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 07:32 AM
If that is the list of the players who are gone, then I say

MLB Rey Maualuga
6'2" 255lbs of pure wrecking machine

Poz takes Crowell's position and Maualuga kills RBs.

While Id like to move Poz outside because he is so much better suited to play there if its going to make us play Maul or Laurinitis in the middle Ill pass. Neither player impresses me and I like other ILB's a lot more later in the draft.

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 07:33 AM
At 11, we should be drafting someone who can make the biggest impact on our team. If your not coinvinced that Trent is the answer, QB is one of the biggest impact positions. I should say that your QB play makes a huge impact on your results (just ask JP).

That said, Im not sure we have seen all we need to see from Trent.

So who else is worth that pick?

Brian Orakpo
Everrette Brown- you may say hes a reach, but Scouts Inc doesnt think so

Im aware of your man crush on Brown. I think he's a good prospect 1st-2nd Round grade, but no way is he a top 10 pick. He's not better than a Tyson Jackson, and he is not a complete DE. Orakpo is a little bit below an 11th overall pick. I dont really care what Scouts Inc or any other service says about a certain player, we are going to disagree constantly, doesn't change my opinion on a player.

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 07:35 AM
They take the best available player!

BPA could be a CB at this point, just saying.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 07:49 AM
BPA could be a CB at this point, just saying.
BPA is NOT the way you draft if you plan on being a contender year in and year out.

acehole
12-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Also keep in mind passing on a potential franchise QB because the guy we have has shown four good games, could be a mistake that haunts us for 2-3 more years at least.

Yea but isnt it time we put a world class team around the qb and drop a qb on that team....we keep doing the same thing here over and over again expecting diff result.

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 07:51 AM
BPA is NOT the way you draft if you plan on being a contender year in and year out.

It is and it isnt, strict BPA is never done by any team, but you also cant target just specific positions per round either. Its an equal balance of the two.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 07:52 AM
While Id like to move Poz outside because he is so much better suited to play there if its going to make us play Maul or Laurinitis in the middle Ill pass. Neither player impresses me and I like other ILB's a lot more later in the draft.
When I see Maualuga play I think 3-4 LB, when I see Laurinaitis play I think :limp:

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 07:55 AM
It is and it isnt, strict BPA is never done by any team, but you also cant target just specific positions per round either. Its an equal balance of the two.
Something else you have to take into consideration when wasting a high first round pick on a QB is this teams inability to coach a young QB. Some teams can take any QB and make him work in their system, some teams could draft any QB in any draft and he still won't amount to much. The Bills have proven time and time again that they don't have what it takes to coach a young QB successfully. If anything they should be looking for someone in the free agency (or trade) market who won't require what it will take to raise a young QB, because the Bills can't do it unless they make some changes.

acehole
12-17-2008, 07:55 AM
We are not supose to talk about other factors when talking qb here just the qb nothing else is to come into account. Trent Edwards is injury prone and is afraid to get hit...he is a one trick pony and opposing defenses have game film on this trick....it is over....but a new qb will take more time then some good players have.....so if we pick him 2-3 years to wait.....as the bills turn....

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 07:57 AM
We are not supose to talk about other factors when talking qb here just the qb nothing else is to come into account. Trent Edwards is injury prone and is afraid to get hit...he is a one trick pony and opposing defenses have game film on this trick....it is over....but a new qb will take more time then some good player have.....so if we pick him 2-3 years to wait.....as the bills turn....
Prepare to get ****ed by the Edwards supporters.

acehole
12-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Prepare to get ****ed by the Edwards supporters.

I dont care a spade is a spade.

I would like a DE myself...we need a pass rush to get that deffense to hum.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 08:27 AM
I dont care a spade is a spade.

I would like a DE myself...we need a pass rush to get that deffense to hum.

You call a spade a spade?

Yet as little as a month ago you were still saying that JP could be good.

TacklingDummy
12-17-2008, 08:31 AM

little over a month ago :huh:

He still thinks it :crazy:

acehole
12-17-2008, 08:32 AM

Link...

Who knows anyway players move on to new team
and the change turns out good for them. After the
talk of firing Juron....is it safe to say where ever he
goes he will be better coached...and the team will
be better funded.

acehole
12-17-2008, 08:32 AM

Link.

For either.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 08:33 AM

I was trying to be nice.

acehole
12-17-2008, 08:38 AM
I was trying to be nice.

Yea and you and the TD where saying Trent was going to save this team and we were going to make the playoffs.....and he was the much better QB.

.2 is not much better and we are not playoff bound.

JP is a red herring...what excuse will you use next year when your wipping boy is gone?

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Yea and you and the TD where saying Trent was going to save this team and we were going to make the playoffs.....and he was the much better QB.

.2 is not much better and we are not playoff bound.

JP is a red herring...what excuse will you use next year when your wipping boy is gone?

Trent is better.

Neither of us said he'd save the team.

But consistent QB play would go a long way to take us to the next level.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Trent is better.

Except Edwards only offers consistently bad QB play.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Except Edwards only offers consistently bad QB play.

Except when you know we started 5-1.

And I'm not saying Trent is the answer.

All I said was he's better than Losman.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Except when you know we started 5-1.

And I'm not saying Trent is the answer.

All I said was he's better than Losman.
Please, consider the teams he started 5-1 against. And drop the Losman crap, he has been a distant memory for some time now. There's no comparing the two, it's Edwards' team right now and thus far he has been one of the worst QB's in the league.

TacklingDummy
12-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Woo,woo, :link: Please show me a post where I said Trent was going to save this team or a post where I said the Bills were going to make the playoffs. Even when the Bills were 5-1 I never said they were going to make the playoffs like alot of people on here did. Hell, some people on here were planning a 1st round bye.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Please, consider the teams he started 5-1 against. And drop the Losman crap, he has been a distant memory for some time now. There's no comparing the two, it's Edwards' team right now and thus far he has been one of the worst QB's in the league.

Has he?

His play has been equal to Big Ben's play this year. Equal to Kerry Collins. Equal to Joe Flacco.

What's the difference?

Those three teams have dominating defense's and more playmakers.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Has he?

His play has been equal to Big Ben's play this year. Equal to Kerry Collins. Equal to Joe Flacco.

What's the difference?

And let the excuses begin..... :rolleyes:

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 09:21 AM
And let the excuses begin..... :rolleyes:

Um not excuses, those are cold hard facts.

I've already stated that I don't think Edwards is enough to get you to the next level.

TacklingDummy
12-17-2008, 09:21 AM

Watching the Steelers, Ravens, Cowboys play defense last week made me wonder if the Bills ever had a defense that looked as good as those.

Even when the Bills D was ranked high I never thought they were dominant defenses.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Um not excuses, those are cold hard facts.

I've already stated that I don't think Edwards is enough to get you to the next level.
Saying that the only difference is that those teams possess great defenses (which has nothing to do with the level of play at QB) is an excuse or you wouldn't have brought it up in your comparisons. By the way, saying that he's playing on the same level as a rookie and a journeyman QB is not saying much.

acehole
12-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Trent is better.

Yes and when we get in frm Trent we will have a good topic to discuss.

.2 better qb rating wow that is somthing.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 09:25 AM

Meh, QB rating is so useless. I prefer to look at the TD/INT ratio, yards per pass, etc... It's really pathetic that Edwards, for the second year in a row, will not even average a TD a game. A QB who lacks the ability to get the ball in the end zone is a QB that won't last very long in the league, Edwards is headed in that direction.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Saying that the only difference is that those teams possess great defenses (which has nothing to do with the level of play at QB) is an excuse or you wouldn't have brought it up in your comparisons. By the way, saying that he's playing on the same level as a rookie and a journeyman QB is not saying much.

And a SB winning QB.

So are you saying that Big Ben, Flacco and Collins are having among the worst years of QBs in the league too?

You can throw David Garrard and Jake Delhomme in that group too.

acehole
12-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Woo,woo, :link: Please show me a post where I said Trent was going to save this team or a post where I said the Bills were going to make the playoffs. Even when the Bills were 5-1 I never said they were going to make the playoffs like alot of people on here did. Hell, some people on here were planning a 1st round bye.

This goes both ways then....dont put ideas to my screen name ...and I wont assign one the dont belong to you either.

Fair?

TacklingDummy

Actually if you go by recent history, this year, its 85.1 > 62.3.

acehole
Meh, QB rating is so useless. I prefer to look at the TD/INT ratio, yards per pass, etc... It's really pathetic that Edwards, for the second year in a row, will not even average a TD a game. A QB who lacks the ability to get the ball in the end zone is a QB that won't last very long in the league, Edwards is headed in that direction.

Bingo ....spot on.

JP = red herring

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 09:27 AM

More positive plays than negative plays.

Less sacks taken, less picks thrown, less fumbles.

TacklingDummy
12-17-2008, 09:28 AM
This goes both ways then....dont put ideas to my screen name ...and I wont assign one the dont belong to you either.

Fair?

The problem is you think JP is better than Trent.
Right or wrong?

And I never said the Bills would be making the playoffs this year.

That's the difference.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Why is it people are still so stuck on J.P. Losman, and why do those same people continue to try and compare him to the guy who is the STARTING QUARTERBACK? Who the **** gives two ****s about J.P. ****ing Losman. The guy does not exist as of midway through last season. This team belongs to Trent Edwards and he is accountable for the team (when healthy) as long as he is the starter. Having said that he has been flat out pathetic to this point in his career; he gets another year (like all players) before he deserves any kind of label, but based on the present the future does not look very bright.

Mr. Pink
12-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Why is it people are still so stuck on J.P. Losman, and why do those same people continue to try and compare him to the guy who is the STARTING QUARTERBACK? Who the **** gives two ****s about J.P. ****ing Losman. The guy does not exist as of midway through last season. This team belongs to Trent Edwards and he is accountable for the team (when healthy) as long as he is the starter. Having said that he has been flat out pathetic to this point in his career; he gets another year (like all players) before he deserves any kind of label, but based on the present the future does not look very bright.

Well when healthy, Edwards was being touted league wide as one of the top QBs in the AFC.

I had to throw that in, seeing you added that caveat.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Well when healthy, Edwards was being touted league wide as one of the top QBs in the AFC.

:*****slap:

acehole
12-17-2008, 09:46 AM
More positive plays than negative plays.

Less sacks taken, less picks thrown, less fumbles.

Fantastic! ...and how is that working out for ya!

acehole
12-17-2008, 09:55 AM

He has never played a full season in his life and I bet he never does.

He never did pass 11th rated passer which was my measure when comparing the two.

I was right that we had more problems then the qb.

I was right when I said Trent was not ready.

I was right when I said Trent was a trend as we are talking new qb here already.

I was and am right when I said JP was never good enough to overcome the rest of the problems we had on this team.

I will be right when and if they draft a new qb and we have not addressed the rest...we will be in same boat.

"When heathy"

Trent is like one of those goats that you run and scream at and they fall down.

The when may = forever.

PECKERWOOD
12-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Edwards would be a PB'er if he played for a team with a dome stadium! He doesn't belong in RWS, he doesn't have the arm strength for the conditions we face.

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
This is not going to devolve into another Losman/Edwards argument. Either stick to the topic of the draft picks or find another thread.

acehole
12-17-2008, 10:03 AM
The problem is you think JP is better than Trent.
Right or wrong?

And I never said the Bills would be making the playoffs this year.

That's the difference.

I think it is a wash at this piont.

However I think JP had a better skill set at the time this argument matered.

It does not mater anymore and has not for some time.

And Trent has learned if he wants not to get hit he has got to get rid of that ball.

I will tell you that Trent is not the answer as he has been exposed as to who he really is....

Having said all of that I said to stay with him as the starter this year.

I dont or did not think JP should have started this year.

His future was decided during that draft.

..and you dont invest time in a ghost.

and now that we have invested time in a goat what say you!

acehole
12-17-2008, 10:05 AM
This is not going to devolve into another Losman/Edwards argument. Either stick to the topic of the draft picks or find another thread.

ok...I dont like picking another qb.

Lets get some interior offensive linemen and some pass rusher.

Let go get a qb in FA that we know can play.

PECKERWOOD
12-17-2008, 10:34 AM

Fair enough, DB.

Round 1.) Orakpo, DE, Texas
Round 2.) Coffman, TE, Mizzou
Round 3.) Ünger, C, Oregon

How would you like that draft? I was thinking maybe Coffman in round 3 and putting Ünger in at round 2, I think he may go higher than most people expect him to because he can also play LT.

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Fair enough, DB.

How would you like that draft? I was thinking maybe Coffman in round 3 and putting Ünger in at round 2, I think he may go higher than most people expect him to because he can also play LT.

Unger will be an OT in the NFL, and likely not an OC, so Im not a huge fan of it. He could be an eventual replacement for Walker though so that wouldn't be too bad. Not bad C+, still no LB help which is our 2nd greatest need imo.

TacklingDummy
12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Why is it people are still so stuck on J.P. Losman, and why do those same people continue to try and compare him to the guy who is the STARTING QUARTERBACK? Who the **** gives two ****s about J.P. ****ing Losman. The guy does not exist as of midway through last season.

Who started the last 2 games and most likely the next 2?

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Who started the last 2 games and most likely the next 2?

Stop it, final warning.

TacklingDummy
12-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Stop it, final warning.

Just read the first warning.

TigerJ
12-17-2008, 12:19 PM
If Michael Johnson and Curry are off the board, give me Orakpo. We need a big time pass rusher. Eleven overall is too early to draft an interior offensive lineman. Give Trent another year.

Historian
12-17-2008, 12:45 PM
...any Division II center!

FlyingDutchman
12-17-2008, 01:00 PM
If we took Bradford Id never watch another Bills game again. Orakpo is the best choice. He is a freak. I dont know if hed make it to us though.

FlyingDutchman
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Max Unger in the second round!

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Max Unger in the second round!
He'll be an OT in the NFL

FlyingDutchman
12-17-2008, 01:40 PM
He'll be an OT in the NFL

No, I think he'll be a center

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
No, I think he'll be a center

Good to know what you think, I disagree. At 6'6 he is a tall OC, close to being too tall. If he measures below 6'4 then he may stay at OC, even then he is tall as can be. Which is why he'll likely move outside. Plus given his athleticism he could be a good OT against the speed rush, and has the power to withstand a bullrush. The move makes perfect sense.

FlyingDutchman
12-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Just dont see it. Sure he was able to play tackle but I dont see it translating to the NFL. I watched just about every Oregon game this year being the degenerate gambler that I am, and Unger was the reason for their running success. He has the size and speed to deal with any DT in the NFL, but I have doubts about quicker DEs. Hes turned into probably the top center in the country, and I just dont see a good thing getting messed with. Does he have the capabilities of playing tackle? sure. Will he? I doubt it.

DraftBoy
12-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Just dont see it. Sure he was able to play tackle but I dont see it translating to the NFL. I watched just about every Oregon game this year being the degenerate gambler that I am, and Unger was the reason for their running success. He has the size and speed to deal with any DT in the NFL, but I have doubts about quicker DEs. Hes turned into probably the top center in the country, and I just dont see a good thing getting messed with. Does he have the capabilities of playing tackle? sure. Will he? I doubt it.

There is no question he has the skills to play OC and I watched him at Oregon too, however the DT's int he Pac-10 are a joke compared to the NFL, and he is a better suited prospect at OT in the NFL due to his size and athleticism. I dont see any reason why he couldnt handle quicker speed DE's.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 02:12 PM
There is no question he has the skills to play OC and I watched him at Oregon too, however the DT's int he Pac-10 are a joke compared to the NFL, and he is a better suited prospect at OT in the NFL due to his size and athleticism. I dont see any reason why he couldnt handle quicker speed DE's.
Bingo.

Not powerful enough and not a good enough center of gravity.

Marvelous
12-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Night-train is 100% CORRECT- We CAN-NOT win without a QB... Trent is still unproven.. I'm very annoyed at Trent's lack of the deep pass...Our super-paid WR is a deep threat.. wtf!

-Sign me up for QB in 1st.

--DE in the 1st is risky too. Just like most skilled positions..See Vikings..

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Night-train is 100% CORRECT- We CAN-NOT win without a QB... Trent is still unproven.. I'm very annoyed at Trent's lack of the deep pass...Our super-paid WR is a deep threat.. wtf!

-Sign me up for QB in 1st.

--DE in the 1st is risky too. Just like most skilled positions..See Vikings..
Far less so than a QB and far less expensive if the project fails. A screw up in drafting a QB in the first can set your franchise back years financially.

PECKERWOOD
12-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Our luck sucks so bad when it comes to drafting QB's, some people in this thread have convinced me that defense is the way to go. I'm on the Orakpo/Curry bandwagon until further ado.

Akhippo
12-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Drafting a DE in the first round is tricky, see E Flowers
Drafting a QB in the first round is tricky, see JP Losman
Drafting a OL in the first round is tricky, see M Williams
Drafting a RB in the first round is tricky, see W McGahee

Damnit, can we do anything right.

You can win with a C quarterback, you cant win with a C defense unless your P Manning. Its just history.

DE/DT/OLB/FS/C; that what are draft should be littered with.

X-Era
12-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Fair enough, DB.

1) Orakpo
2) Mack
3) Coffman

FlyingDutchman
12-17-2008, 05:57 PM
however the DT's int he Pac-10 are a joke compared to the NFL, and he is a better suited prospect at OT in the NFL

The DEs are even worse in the Pac 10. He'll likely go as a center in the mid to late 2nd round.

PECKERWOOD
12-17-2008, 06:08 PM
1) Orakpo
2) Mack
3) Coffman

I just have a hard time seeing Coffman fall until Round 3, don't get me wrong I would love this draft if it played out like that but highly unlikely.

Mr. Cynical
12-17-2008, 06:27 PM
TE is another Chris Chandler. I like the guy but you need to be tough as nails, especially in a northern climate. Time to move on (as much as that hurts to say)

jimbohastle51
12-17-2008, 07:44 PM
bradford will be long gone if he comes out early, if crabtree is there we cant pass him up, especially with evans, reed, and johnson that would give us a fierce WR core. but my honest opinion is if we can get either laurinitis or manaluga to play weak side that would be awesome. both can play inside and out.

SeatownBillsFan21
12-18-2008, 02:02 AM
god you guys who want a QB in the 1st rd are just crazy if we grab a QB it should be in FA a guy called Matt Hasselbeck who will be releases at the end of the year that way Trent learns the position the kids young he just need some guidance Matt would be the guy to give that to him.that said we take the Best player available when we draft when ever that might be This team needs an impact player ASAP

jamze132
12-18-2008, 02:59 AM
This team needs to stay away of "skill position" picks on Day 1 come April. We need to improve the trenches. I am all for taking the best C/G in RD 1 and comeing back in RD2 with the best DE/DT available, or vice versa.

Bradford would be hard to pass up but I'm not 100% convinced he will even be on the board when we pick. The only other guy I would consider taking over O/D lines is Brandon Spikes but our position might be a little too high to take him that early. God knows we need some better LBs.

But when it comes down to it, it's our offense that is holding this team back. We have nothing for C or RG and we don't have much at TE. I think this needs to be the focus of FA and the draft. I can live with our defense as long as guys like Dustin Fox aren't playing.

X-Era
12-18-2008, 05:53 AM
bradford will be long gone if he comes out early, if crabtree is there we cant pass him up, especially with evans, reed, and johnson that would give us a fierce WR core. but my honest opinion is if we can get either laurinitis or manaluga to play weak side that would be awesome. both can play inside and out.

I think the heart of that issue is that ILB is stronger in this draft than OLB. I agree. To me, Id like to see OLB addressed early in FA.

But, like DB and I had already talked about, switching a guys position may or may not work out. At the very least that player will have an adjustment period and who knows how long that will last.

Now, I dont mind the thought of moving ILB's that have the speed and size to play OLB. I think moving Poz outside makes a lot of sense. And then we can fill the ILB spot.

X-Era
12-18-2008, 06:00 AM
I just have a hard time seeing Coffman fall until Round 3, don't get me wrong I would love this draft if it played out like that but highly unlikely.
Orakpo should be there. Although I see his stock as being way higher than say Michael Johnson as of right now. Orakpo has done more against tougher teams. I didnt watch every GT game, but when I did watch Johnson, he seemed to disappear for most of the game. Guys like Everrette Brown and Orakpo were very visible.

Mack, may fall out of the 1st because hes a C and may not have the hype of Mangold when he came out. I see his stock as being more David Baas than Nick Mangold. So, early 2nd seems right to me, and he may not be likely to fall far enough in the 2nd.

Coffman is a bit of an enigma. he is a clone to Jason Witten with size speed, maybe even production. But he also isnt the hybrid type TE whos a bigtime receiving threat like Beckum, or Gresham. Hes more of a classic TE. So, I could see teams going after Pettigrew, Gresham, and maybe Jared Cook before looking at Coffman. That may put him down in Round 3. But I think round 2 is the most likely spot where he goes. I like Jared Cook better and he just may fall to round 3.

An even better version may be to get Coffman or Cook in round 2, and then get Caldwell in 3 or Shipley in 4. Even guys like Eric Wood can play very well at C. I think there is a drop off after Mack, but that the depth is good at C. We may want to wait a bit at that position.

I should also say though, that I think this team needs significant upgrades. And a mid or late round C wouldnt seem to be one right away. Id prefer a trade for someone, or maybe even sign Birk for a few years.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Interesting ideas by a wide range of posters, we have advocates for a QB, WR, TE, OLB, ILB, DT, and DE in the first round. Very interesting so far...this is going to be fun.

SABURZFAN
12-18-2008, 09:58 AM

i think he's a Top 10 pick if everything goes accordingly at the combines.

jimbohastle51
12-18-2008, 03:46 PM
I think the heart of that issue is that ILB is stronger in this draft than OLB. I agree. To me, Id like to see OLB addressed early in FA.

But, like DB and I had already talked about, switching a guys position may or may not work out. At the very least that player will have an adjustment period and who knows how long that will last.

Now, I dont mind the thought of moving ILB's that have the speed and size to play OLB. I think moving Poz outside makes a lot of sense. And then we can fill the ILB spot.

good point and remember before poz hurt his knee against FSU in that bowl game his junior year he was a outside linebacker and the best in the nation for a couple years. both manaluga and larunitis can play outside in the NFL but either way if we got one of those 2 with miltchell and poz we could figure something out. curry from wake forrest is a good linebacker but not in the class of manaluga or larunitis, and we could always sign a outside linebacker but i think the elite DE's in the draft will be gone by the time the 10 is done and we are better off focusing on DE in free agency. the best Linebackers available in free agency are all ILB's and ones that would not be able to kick out- bart scott, johnathan vilma, karlos dansby, and eric barton, not too mention we are not going to pay those guys the kind of money they are going to want for an experiment, but if we draft a ILB to kick them out who has the talent it is worth the chance. we can find a good DE in free agency like a bertrand berry for a 2-3 year deal without breaking the bank and still draft a solid DE in the second or 3rd. guys like selvie, johnson, and hardy will all be top 10 picks. and we can find a solid TE in the second or third as well.... there will also be a couple nice TE's in free agency this year, like bo scaife we could sign without breaking the bank as well.

acehole
12-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Interesting ideas by a wide range of posters, we have advocates for a QB, WR, TE, OLB, ILB, DT, and DE in the first round. Very interesting so far...this is going to be fun.

I think we should stop experimenting with the qb postion...spend the money on a proven guys...that may be somthing that carries over to the offense in general...with the skill positions.

We can draft all day on defense...hopfully DE, olb with pass rush skills that will improve on the investement we have made in the defensive backfield.

I still like kelsay and denny at that position...and they would also be even better with a thread from the other side..

My take.

Mr. Pink
12-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I think we should stop experimenting with the qb postion...spend the money on a proven guys...that may be somthing that carries over to the offense in general...with the skill positions.

We can draft all day on defense...hopfully DE, olb with pass rush skills that will improve on the investement we have made in the defensive backfield.

I still like kelsay and denny at that position...and they would also be even better with a thread from the other side..

My take.

Because they were such a threat last year when Schobel was healthy and playing right?

Last I knew Schobel was our best pass rusher, not that he's great by any stretch, but he's more than adequate when healthy.

What did Kelsay and Denney do when Schobel was healthy? Jack squat.

The position needs to be upgraded, we can survive with Schobel and a prospect or FA at the other DE position.

PECKERWOOD
12-18-2008, 06:20 PM
I really hope we can trade down and pick up a 2nd or a 3rd.

PECKERWOOD
12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
TE is another Chris Chandler. I like the guy but you need to be tough as nails, especially in a northern climate. Time to move on (as much as that hurts to say)

I said this before, Edwards would be a pro bowler on a team that played in a dome but I'm not going to make excuses for him. We need to keep the search going for a QB that can thrive in our conditions.. Edwards has proven that he can win, keep him as insurance.

Akhippo
12-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I would like to switch to a 3-4. All the top D's seem to run that.

Move S Johnson to DE and play Denney at the other. Draft two rush outside backers.

The only problem is we have a stable of undersized "quick" backers that are neither good backups or usefull in the 3-4.

acehole
12-19-2008, 09:07 AM
I like thier run stopping ability...and they do get to the qb at times.

With more help from the other side they would be better as would the backfield...

Saying schobel is our best pass rusher is not saying much.

With a real threat at his position the whole D would improve....

Schobel has run his coarse...it is time for a change and a real threat from the DE postion....

PS stop stalking me..

Because they were such a threat last year when Schobel was healthy and playing right?

Last I knew Schobel was our best pass rusher, not that he's great by any stretch, but he's more than adequate when healthy.

What did Kelsay and Denney do when Schobel was healthy? Jack squat.

The position needs to be upgraded, we can survive with Schobel and a prospect or FA at the other DE position.