X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Not all is lost..

First off, did anyone really think going into this season that the Bills were really a true contender? Did any of you seriously think that the Bills were even a playoff team going into this year? I certainly didn't, and if you seriously thought they were a contender you're full of ****. I felt going into the season that the Bills were two years away from being a playoff team, and at least double that before they were a serious contender, my mind has not changed a bit.

The Bills allowed the fan base to gain a sense of false hope after starting the season with an impressive (at the time) 4-0 start. But honestly, there were a handful of us that were blowing caution to the wind about not getting too pumped up about it. The teams that Buffalo beat were nothing to be excited about outside of Jacksonville (who as it turns out is no better than the other three of four teams). Was it great to be 4-0? Hell yeah it is/was, but did anyone SERIOUSLY think that Buffalo was suddenly a contender? If you say you did you are full of ****; it's not like they were beating these horrible teams by incredible margins. They were barely slipping by (with the exception of the Seattle game), but still managed to beat them.

In my opinion the near-future (next two years or so) are still pretty dark for the Buffalo Bills. There is great talent on the team is it stands right now, and those positions are something to be very excited about as they will be great building blocks for the future, to name a few:
    - Jason Peters - Making a lot of people who wanted him out of town at the start of the season look stupid. He is healthy and is proving why he is one of the best LT's in football every week. Does he slip up at times? Absolutely, but find me a player who doesn't slip up and I'll show you a player that doesn't exist.

- Lee Evans - In my honest opinion there is no better deep threat in the game when the QB play is even average. Lee Evans scares the ever living **** out of opposing DC's with his amazing speed, but not just that, he is willing to sacrifice himself to make the tough catches. He also goes over the middle, something much larger WR's (paging Terrell Owens) refuse to do as of late. He also never gives up on plays (paging Terrell Owens once again), and appears to be a sound leader on and off the field. He is something to be proud of as a Buffalo Bills fan.

- Marshawn Lynch - Again, one of the most talented players at his position in the entire NFL, and now that he's finally allowed to be involved in the offense you are seeing just a glimpse of what is in store. He is a man on a mission every time he touches the ball whether it's in the air or on the ground. He's a guy who has finally brought some much needed "swagger" to a traditionally boring (at least over the past decade) Buffalo Bills franchise. He's another guy who will strike fear into almost any coordinator and NEVER gives up on a play (paging Terrell Owens). He has the "potential" (dangerous word) to become any level of RB he wants to be, he simply needs the opportunity to showcase his talents. He can play on my team any time....

- Leodis McKelvin - I stand behind my saying that this was the wrong selection for the Buffalo Bills to make back in April (god, where have we heard this before). But even I must admit that I wasn't expecting the contribution that he has brought to the Bills on the Special Teams. What he's doing is flat out stupid and yet again, scares the ever living dog **** out of coordinators. Deion always likes to say that there's one thing in football that you can't teach... and that's speed, well, McKelvin has plenty of it. As a CB he is sadly out of place in this style of defense, but he is the type of player who possesses the skill set to play in nearly any defense that requires a man-to-man type coverage. I have a feeling the Bills may see the Cover 2/Tampa 2 go away soon in favor of something that is more of a base front. This would be a beautiful move for both the Bills and McKelvin.

- Donte Whitner - A lot of people will sit there and say "are you crazy?" Well you don't know what you have in Donte Whitner until you have to watch guys like Keith Davis and Roy Williams play every single week. Whitner is another guy who could use a change in scheme and even a change in position. Both DB and I feel that his more natural position would be at the Corner spot, if the Bills do choose to change the defensive scheme I would be willing to bet that you hear the idea being thrown around quite a bit as he's far better at man-to-man than he is this pathetic excuse for a zone scheme. He's another guy who has brought some much needed "swagger" to a typically boring Buffalo Bills team. He can play on my team any time

- Trent Edwards - God I feel dirty saying this, but he has shown some "flashes." He gets another year in my book (just as all rookies) do to prove to me, and everyone else what he's made of. Next season he's going to go one of two ways; it's either going to finally click for him and he's going to be what everyone "thought" he could be, or he's going to continue down the wrong path and he's going to be a virtually unknown on the bench of another team holding a clip-board. The Sophmore year is generally the toughest year for most players, and I have a feeling that Edwards is no different and that it may be the case. The idea that Losman should be starting over him is completely idiotic, has been all season. "Losman" and "future" are two words that shan't be associated with the Buffalo Bills anymore. The only "future" the Bills have at this juncture is Edwards, and you should feel somewhat comfortable with that fact and give him until the end of next season before you lay down the final judgment on him.

Where do the Bills need to improve going into next season? This is an easy one:
    - LB - This is probably one of the weakest LB corps in the entire NFL. Unfortunately Mitchell has not lived up to the billing, he was very solid at NYG, but in Buffalo he has proven to be less than stellar as the season has worn on. Posluszny has absolutely no business playing MLB in this scheme, and Ellison is far from the answer. Solution..... draft a proven MLB this April, move Posluszny to the outside, and inform Mitchell that he looks like crap out there and that he needs to pick up the pace.

- C, RG - As it stands right now the Bills are just fine at both Tackle's. Could Walker be a better player at times? Sure, but he does what's asked of him and generally does it well. The issue with this OL is no secret, the middle is just pathetic. A lot of people might ask; "well, what about Dockery?" He's on the same page as Mitchell is right now, he's a guy who has actually gotten worse since coming over to Buffalo after signing a very hefty deal. I don't think that both positions can be fixed via the draft and one may require some work in free agency. Butler will likely get another shot at proving his worth next season, but the Center position needs to be addressed as soon as humanly possible. I've never seen a successful OL/running game that didn't involve a good Center.

- FS - Some of us were aware of Simpson's flaws coming out of college, and we're seeing the same flaws in the NFL. This is one case where it's not merely the system, it's just the fact that he's a below average player who has angle issues (always has.) In my opinion this is a very deep Safety class and one can be found at some juncture between rounds 2-5 that might be able to come in and start from day one. One thing to keep in mind though, even if that person does not come in and start from day one, this is after all a two year building process (in my opinion) and thus you have some space to allow the youth to grow into their position.

Obviously there are far more problems, but these in my opinion are the glaring needs, all needs that can be addressed in both free agency and the draft. Fix these issues and Buffalo will be a very different team this time next year.
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Re: Outlook from an outside perspective...

I stopped right at your Jason Peters paragraph? Are you kidding me? Every single game he lets people blow right by him and it almost always results in a fumble from the QB.

Otherwise, well written and good stuff.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Patrick76777
      • Jul 2002

Didn't this guy provide an "inside" perspective until about 4 weeks ago?
      Resign our own guys!

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by RockStar36
        I stopped right at your Jason Peters paragraph? Are you kidding me? Every single game he lets people blow right by him and it almost always results in a fumble from the QB.

Watch some more football sometime, it could be much worse. There are about 28 other teams that would agree. By the way, odd that every OL that had a great season last year is having a "down year" this year under the new OC isn't it? hmmm.....

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

For the record, on JP's first fumble, Peters' man got to JP but it took 4.5 seconds. That one's on JP. On the second fumble. Peters whiffed but it was on a blitzing CB on a play where the Bills were completely outcoached. Not to make excuses for him, because he certainly could have done more on those plays. I'm just pointing out that it wasn't entirely his fault.

Last week, Porter only beat him once in garbage time. In fact, he had Porter so flustered that he was trying to line up on the opposite side of the formation to avoid him.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Re: Not all is lost..

@ the guy trying to sugarcoat possibly the most disappointing season in Bills history, telling someone to watch football sometime.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

Very nice writeup. I think you're spot on. We still have a solid base to build off of, but outside of that this year, it has been hard to find anything else good.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                @ the guy trying to sugarcoat possibly the most disappointing season in Bills history, telling someone to watch football sometime.
                Season is over with, their chance at a ring this year has past. It's time to start looking forward to the future, and in my opinion the future is bright due to the personnel in place at certain key positions. Get over this year, it's over with.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dreadnought94
                  Watch some more football sometime, it could be much worse. There are about 28 other teams that would agree. By the way, odd that every OL that had a great season last year is having a "down year" this year under the new OC isn't it? hmmm.....
                  Totally agree that people have a hard on for Peters because of the holdout but if I had to blow up the team and only keep 5 players, he'd be one of them.

Your post is correct on alot of fronts. I'm hoping that Donte Whitner is just really injured because he does not look good at all.

I think one of the biggest losses this year was yobouty. He was hitting people hard and his play was very physical. He actually surprised me. Unfortunately we had injuries everywhere it mattered.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

I'd agree, if this organization didn't just re-sign Jauron to a 3 year deal. I'd agree if it wasn't the same story everytime a new head coach is hired.

Let's face it, by the time the Bills get the right coaches in place, the current young talent will be old and washed up.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                      I'd agree, if this organization didn't just re-sign Jauron to a 3 year deal. I'd agree if it wasn't the same story everytime a new head coach is hired.

Let's face it, by the time the Bills get the right coaches in place, the current young talent will be old and washed up.
                      Jauron is not 100% of the problem with the Bills. In my opinion it goes far deeper than Jauron.

Comment

• RockStar36
                        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                        • Sep 2004

Yeah, I guess I don't watch nearly enough football.

I know what I am seeing. Peters isn't worthy of the contract he was demanding. It only frustrates me more that he acted like a complete douchebag in the off-season. I said before he came back that he would be judged, in my eyes, harder because of how he acted. He has performed much worse in my opinion.

D & S Sports

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Jauron is not 100% of the problem with the Bills. In my opinion it goes far deeper than Jauron.
                          Bingo.

The coach sucks, the FO sucks, the talent sucks.... it's really hard to pinpoint the problem because this team has SO MANY problems. Personally, I think it all starts with the FO and we need to find some people who can actually evaluate talent.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gr8slayer
                            • Feb 2005

Yeah, I guess I don't watch nearly enough football.

I know what I am seeing. Peters isn't worthy of the contract he was demanding. It only frustrates me more that he acted like a complete douchebag in the off-season. I said before he came back that he would be judged, in my eyes, harder because of how he acted. He has performed much worse in my opinion.
                            Seeing as how Buffalo isn't used to dealing with super-star players I can understand why you feel the way you do. This is something that damn near every player, even the "classy" one's pull on a regular basis on teams that are used to dealing with big names. Get over it, it's the reality of today's NFL. If you can't grasp the concept then perhaps you should go back and watch the Titans game from yesterday, think Haynesworth wishes he had been more of an ******* and demanded more money and a bigger contract?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

Yes, this a very true statement. I think most coaches would be hard pressed to get a playoff out of this roster. It's just that the difference between winning and losing on this team is so slim that any mistakes that the coach makes is magnified 1000X.

I watch alot of other games and I see some great coaches make stupid calls.

How brutal is that you have to be careful what play you call becuase your veteran QB has a brain the size of a pea.

What if Ellison doesn't get the first down? Is the fake a bad call? Probably.

Comment

Working...
                              X