PDA

View Full Version : AstroPlay it is!!!! (Notes from the Bills Press Conference)

Michael82
05-06-2003, 10:03 AM
WOO HOO! Tom Donahoe just announced that they will be installing AstroPlay to become the Bills new stadium surface this season. TD says that it will be the best surface in the NFL and feels that the durability and safety are "outstanding". It passed all tests with "flying colors." The player and coach reaction to this turf is extremely favorable and is going to be the Bills new surface in Ralph Wilson Stadium. This AstroPlay is a new kind of turf that has some grass in it and is created by the company who created and sold AstroTurf. This stuff is 100% rubber and is soft and VERY safe. This surface is brand new and is just starting to spread around the country. There will be a 1 inch layer of a shockpad that will be underneath the turf. The layer is made up of ground up rubber tires and it will help soften the hit on the ground. There will be more protection between the pavement and the turf and A LOT more cushion to it, plus it feels more like "natural grass" and also looks like natural grass. No more bright green and cheesy looking turf. It will look like a grassy field. :up:

:D

Patrick76777
05-06-2003, 10:09 AM
Cheesy!!!!??? I liked the old field. But at the same time I’m excited for the change. I can’t wait to see it.

justasportsfan
05-06-2003, 10:09 AM
This means we can body slam Fiedler and R. Williams and no penalty flags ?

HenryRules
05-06-2003, 10:11 AM
How does it have some grass in it while remaining 100% rubber?

BillsNYC
05-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Buffalo Bills Choose AstroPlay from SRI Sports

The Buffalo Bills will soon hit the field with a new surface underfoot - state-of-the-art filled turf from SRI Sports, Inc.

AstroPlay was chosen for Ralph Wilson Stadium after an intensive two-year evaluation process, wherein the Bills visited sites, reviewed field studies and consulted other teams. Their research included testing the product last season by installing AstroPlay on half of the practice field.

"The players and coaches loved it (AstroPlay)," said Buffalo Bills President and General Manager Tom Donahoe. He said the team's two most important factors in choosing a field surface were safety and performance under adverse weather conditions.

Earthquake Enyart
05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules

And you call yourself a reporter.... :eek:

:bigmike:

Romes
05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules

The "blades of grass" are not rubber but there are little seperaters between the grass and the base of the field is 100% rubber. The blades are a combination of real grass and a synthetic polyester (i think) grass.

Ð
05-06-2003, 10:21 AM
I think someone's smoking real grass :D

Michael82
05-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Yeah, what romes said....If you have any questions...check out this site:

http://www.srisports.com/field/filled.htm

Earthquake Enyart
05-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Yeah, what romes said....If you have any questions...check out this site:

http://www.srisports.com/field/filled.htm

Boise State? :huh: They made that hideous Blue field? :eek:

Pride
05-06-2003, 11:20 AM
I wonder, how much would this cost to replace the grass around a house?

Imagine, the perfect look, year round. No drought browning, no soggy mess in the winter, never having to mow your lawn. Imagine it!

Ð
05-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Put some heating coils in the concrete below to keep the snow off...

Pride
05-06-2003, 11:28 AM
good idea!
maybe get some astropalms (palm trees) and maybe even a beach.

Would be fun in Buffalo in January!

Ebenezer
05-06-2003, 11:30 AM
How does this stuff hold up in snow??

Turf
05-06-2003, 11:32 AM
What about drainage. I know the stuff in Seattle drained really well. I also wonder if that massive crown in the field will remain. I'm still amused by the real grass being in there, I don't see how that can be happening.

The Spaz
05-06-2003, 11:33 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/photos/AstroPlay_subsq.jpg

They had some installed last year and it lasted the whole winter and it didn't freeze so I guess it workd really well! Go Bills!

Ebenezer
05-06-2003, 11:35 AM
What I meant was, if it snows during the game will it keep the snow as if it were your backyard or will the snow melt off...will the "blades" of grass get more slick than your backyard...that sort of thing?

The Spaz
05-06-2003, 11:41 AM
They say it's like real grass but not so I dunno. Go Bills!

clumping platelets
05-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Was that all they announced? Only about the playing surface?

Ebenezer
05-06-2003, 11:45 AM
yes.

Romes
05-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
What I meant was, if it snows during the game will it keep the snow as if it were your backyard or will the snow melt off...will the "blades" of grass get more slick than your backyard...that sort of thing?

Yes, the grass it self does get slick when it is wet, but the cleats dig into rubber pelets. The players will not slip around unless they dive/slide, if there is a fumble the ball will skip around but the players themselves won't slide around aslong as they stay on their feet.

Turf
05-06-2003, 01:30 PM
TD threw Ralph down on it when it was frozen this winter, and Ralph only slid 8 feet. That was the clincher to get it.

BillsNYC
05-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Was that all they announced? Only about the playing surface?

you can tell how bored we are when we get excited about new turf....

Romes
05-06-2003, 02:37 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030506/capt.1052244743bills_new_turf_bf102.jpg

The_Philster
05-06-2003, 03:51 PM
When and where are they selling the old turf? I know Sean has a piece of the last turf to be ripped out in his store and they made welcome mats out of the turf they had in the early 90s (helmetguy got the last one and I'm constantly trying to talk him into giving it to me :snicker: )

Mad Bomber
05-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
No more bright green and cheesy looking turf. It will look like a grassy field.
:D

Mike,

You can make this stuff any color you like. In one college bowl game - I think it was the Boise Bowl, or something like that - they played on a field of this stuff that was BLUE. I thought my TV was out of whack until I realized that Boise State's colors were blue and orange. They chose to paint their football field in their school colors. Looked weird, but the surface looked great to play on.

On the other hand, schools that use this surface and try to make it look like grass have outstanding playing surfaces. Washington, Oregon, etc. use this turf and have had great success with it.

The question is....how does this type of turf hold up when you have to plow a foot of snow off of it before (or during) a game?

Mad Bomber
05-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Romes

Yes, the grass it self does get slick when it is wet, but the cleats dig into rubber pelets. The players will not slip around unless they dive/slide, if there is a fumble the ball will skip around but the players themselves won't slide around aslong as they stay on their feet.

Also, when a receiver makes a catch on the sidelines, you can see where their feet land because the painted pellets are disturbed....This could be an advantage for us, because the refs won't be able to give the Pats their accustomed gifts...(see avatar)

Lone Stranger
05-06-2003, 08:04 PM
I'm alll for this and it sounds like a good idea. But guys and gals who do you think is paying for this? One appreciates knowing that the Bills take care in spending our money.

Lone Stranger
05-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Guys and gals in your euphoria you should understand who is paying for this.....the taxpayers of Erie County. It's nice that the Bills are cautious in their selection but do you think they would pay this out of their own pocket?

By the way, I like the idea.

Dozerdog
05-06-2003, 08:15 PM
fmr60- I'll make sure to toss a few extra nickles into the toll booth bucket next time by.

The_Philster
05-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
You can make this stuff any color you like. In one college bowl game - I think it was the Boise Bowl, or something like that - they played on a field of this stuff that was BLUE. I thought my TV was out of whack until I realized that Boise State's colors were blue and orange. They chose to paint their football field in their school colors. Looked weird, but the surface looked great to play on.

I saw that too :rofl: I was trying to adjust my set

Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Also, when a receiver makes a catch on the sidelines, you can see where their feet land because the painted pellets are disturbed....This could be an advantage for us, because the refs won't be able to give the Pats their accustomed gifts...(see avatar)

:snicker: