PDA

View Full Version : Astroplay is good stuff

Romes
05-06-2003, 10:04 AM
My High School had this stuff on the field. It never snowed where I lived but it handled al other types of weather conditions very well. I played soccer on it. It was very easy on the knees you could wear longer cleats or shorter ones and it wouldn't matter. Both of them would grip the turf well but not cause knee problems. It is soft to land on. The field was always perfect. The only thing I wonder about is how hard the field will get when it gets below zero. Then again I can't see it being harder than the turf the Bills have now.

Romes
05-06-2003, 04:23 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=179952

Seems like PP has noticed the same things about me about the turf.

It actually holds up pretty well when it comes to friction with our shoes. One of the biggest advantages is that you have the availability to wear any shoe that you want to wear. You can wear spikes, molded cleats or even sneakers will get the same type of traction on those surfaces."

Same thing I said about being able to use long or short cleats.

"It's more forgiving. It's a surface that's better on your knees and your back. You feel more relaxed. Less aches and pains. There's a difference when you come out of the field house when you've practice on the artificial surface, which is harder, and less forgiving then the new AstroPlay surface. It tends to relax on your muscles and you ache a little less when you come out of there.

No more rug burns. That's the big excitement. You go out there and play hard and forgot all about the rug burns into you get into the shower."

Typ0
05-06-2003, 06:44 PM
What I want to know is can you smoke this stuff?

Mad Bomber
05-06-2003, 07:14 PM
I'm VERY happy about the choice to go with this turf. The current turf in the Ralph is a real knee-killer.

Dozerdog
05-06-2003, 07:17 PM
They probably would have gone with it anyway, but I wonder if drafting McGahee sped up the decision

Mad Bomber
05-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
They probably would have gone with it anyway, but I wonder if drafting McGahee sped up the decision
Unfortunately, Dozer, McGahee got his knee ripped out on grass...

I HOPE I'm wrong, but I don't think that he'll ever amount to anything in the NFL.

Personally, I think we should have picked Dallas Clark, the TE from Iowa. Not that the fact that I'm an Iowa alum has anything to do with it...

Dozerdog
05-06-2003, 07:37 PM
I'm aware of that... But a reconstructed knee on the painted asphalt we have now would be a recipie for disaster.

I hope you are wrong, too! ;) Even if you are, we still have Henry.

Mad Bomber
05-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Dozer,

I agree with you. My main concern about the Ralph's killer turf was about what might happen to Mike Williams...

Typ0
05-06-2003, 08:33 PM
I think you are right on target Dozer. It's not just McGahee either it's stupid to pump all your resources into your athletes and then make them play on concrete at least 8 games a year. The sunk cost of replacing the field is nothing in light of those realities. There just was not a better option than the concrete four years ago. Then bringing in a player with McGahee's situation only makes it worse. Replacing the field is a commitment. It's a commitment to the players. It's a commitment to the organization. It's a commitment to the fans. Long live Ralph Wilson.

Michael82
05-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
I think you are right on target Dozer. It's not just McGahee either it's stupid to pump all your resources into your athletes and then make them play on concrete at least 8 games a year. The sunk cost of replacing the field is nothing in light of those realities. There just was not a better option than the concrete four years ago. Then bringing in a player with McGahee's situation only makes it worse. Replacing the field is a commitment. It's a commitment to the players. It's a commitment to the organization. It's a commitment to the fans. Long live Ralph Wilson.

It's also a HUGE commitment to Buffalo and IMO takes away any of the worries that I have about the Bills leaving Buffalo. :D

superbills
05-07-2003, 08:14 AM
This has been in the works for a couple of years now. I think the timing with McGahee was just coincidental. TD wanted to make sure that the players, coaches, trainers, maintenance guys, his barber (j/k) all liked the stuff before making the investment. They had it on the practice field last year and everyone loved it so they got it. It doesn't hurt, though, that it winds up being a bit of an insurance policy to protect TD's "Gamble Guy", McGahee. Yeah, he blew up his knee on grass, but at least his achilles won't be next (see Sam Cowart) because of the bedrock we were playing on before.

Oh, and Just for the record, Mad Bomber, would you like to make a little wager (zone bucks of course :) ) that McGahee will not only play but be a superstar in less than 2 years? I Garuntay!

TypicalBill
05-07-2003, 08:37 AM
guys, i remember the McGahee hit, it doesn't look like the grass had anything to do with it.. the other guy's helmet just went through WM's leg, it was a direct tackle with the perfect timing.. i dont remember anything about the grass. Because they played the game on grass doesn't mean it caused it.

WG
05-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Either way, McG's been hurt on nice soft grass for three years in a row. This may help, but I just don't think it's the core issue. Obviously something's goin' on for a player to get hurt for three years in a row, very serious twice, moderately serious once.

He'll be breaking quite a trend if he starts next season and finishes out the year.

Typ0
05-07-2003, 12:17 PM
I think a lot of the decision has to do with his mental drive and his attitude WYS. I agree with everything you said. I'm just defending OBD a little here because if McGahee was just a great athlete and didn't show very strong emotional qualities I don't think they would have taken the chance. It is a big chance though and you're right the recent historical trends don't look good. I think the field conversion had to do with all the players though not McGahee.

Mad Bomber
05-08-2003, 10:40 PM
I for one am not considering McGahee as a truly viable player for the Bills in 2004 and afterwards. Say tht he doesn't play out (i.e. his knee is truly GONE)...we spent our first drat choice for him. In my mind, Drew Bledsoe WAS our first draft choice this year. If McGahee turns into an even above averge RB we will be ok. If not, then I will forever be berating the Bills for not taking Dallas Clark....but what does that matter? This is totally off the subject of this thread...

I am VERY happy with the decision to get away from our current kiler turf!!!!

Dozerdog
05-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

It's also a HUGE commitment to Buffalo and IMO takes away any of the worries that I have about the Bills leaving Buffalo. :D

How does a softer, more expensive rug keep the Bills in Buffalo?

Does it make Ralph Wilson live longer? Does it pay the inheritance tax when he kicks? Does it bring in local ownership to buy the team when Ralph's daughters sell?