PDA

View Full Version : What We Learned in Week 15 (NFL team salaries linked)

Coach Sal
12-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Interesting looking over the total NFL payrolls. Some other stuff for you, too:

http://www.salsports.com/week15WhatWeLearned.htm

gr8slayer
12-16-2008, 08:07 PM
What you fail to take into consideration (or so it would appear) when talking about the "one team that may not make it" is that they re-signed a lot of their own players (in the off-season) whom they drafted which inflated their number greatly. They also have some of their past FA's who are on their second contracts with the team as of the off-season. That's a lot different than a team like Oakland who tried to pull a New York Yankees type move. Granted the Roy Williams trade also no doubt inflated that number a lot too. Grow your own talent, pay them well, keep them happy, sprinkle in some key FA's, win football games.

And there's no "maybe" about it." The Cowboys aren't making the playoffs this year.

Good read though and good find on the Cardinals....

Coach Sal
12-17-2008, 07:23 AM
What you fail to take into consideration (or so it would appear) when talking about the "one team that may not make it" is that they re-signed a lot of their own players (in the off-season) whom they drafted which inflated their number greatly. They also have some of their past FA's who are on their second contracts with the team as of the off-season. That's a lot different than a team like Oakland who tried to pull a New York Yankees type move. Granted the Roy Williams trade also no doubt inflated that number a lot too. Grow your own talent, pay them well, keep them happy, sprinkle in some key FA's, win football games.

And there's no "maybe" about it." The Cowboys aren't making the playoffs this year.

Good read though and good find on the Cardinals....

Well, I appreciate the compliment, but as to your point, I think you are being way too defensive. It's not that I fail to realize it, it's just that it doesn't matter, and it doesn't change the point.

I'm sure I could go into each team's specific payroll and breakdown who their own FAs were, who received extensions, and who were signed UFAs. That doesn't change the facts of what I wrote, nor the point of the piece.

Is the Cowboys payroll #2 in the league? Yes (according to this).
MIGHT they not make the playoffs? Yes.

Your points (although I'm sure true) don't change those facts, which was all this was about.

HHURRICANE
12-17-2008, 07:28 AM
The Bills drafts have really killed this organization. Having to go buy talent every year just kills your payroll.