PDA

View Full Version : Please stop with the Cowher talk.

OpIv37
12-16-2008, 10:31 PM
It's not going to happen.

I'd love to have him here as much as anyone, preferably as coach but I'll take him as GM. I also want someone to leave a free 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD with the technology package in my parking spot, I want to win the lottery, I want to bench press 300 pounds and I want to slam dunk a basketball and I want a 10-figure bank account and I want to be able to shoot a 75 on an 18 hole golf course.

But none of those things are ever going to happen. EVER.

Ralph has committed to Jauron as coach. He has taken the cheap way out with his FO, and has stood by people who have proven to be ineffective. And while Ralph has proven that he's not cheap when it comes to FA's, he's also never gone after the cream of the crop either.

I also can't see Cowher entering a situation where Ralph's bottom line will affect his ability to get the guys he wants.

So please, stop setting us up for disappointment. We are not getting Bill Cowher.

topher180
12-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Dude I'm with you, but they aren't gonna. You know that. There's been several threads and phone calls to local radio already and until a coach is hired they won't let go.

trapezeus
12-16-2008, 11:49 PM
you want to bench 300 lbs? that seems kind of like a luxury pick. it's like taking mcgahee when there are other desires or needs out there.

never understood the desire to get a huge chest. it just means when you get older, you have an increased chance at man boobs. Just saying.

<public service announcement ends>

SquishDaFish
12-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Why should they stop? We need something positive to talk about. And thinking of Dickey being gone is our way

baalworship
12-17-2008, 06:14 AM
I agree. Cowher is a pipe dream. Now a coordinator that is up and coming is a possibility that can be discussed realistically.

The point is even if Ralph saw the light Buffalo is not a desirable destination for somone that can pick any of the open teams.

X-Era
12-17-2008, 06:16 AM
It's not going to happen.

I'd love to have him here as much as anyone, preferably as coach but I'll take him as GM. I also want someone to leave a free 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD with the technology package in my parking spot, I want to win the lottery, I want to bench press 300 pounds and I want to slam dunk a basketball and I want a 10-figure bank account and I want to be able to shoot a 75 on an 18 hole golf course.

But none of those things are ever going to happen. EVER.

Ralph has committed to Jauron as coach. He has taken the cheap way out with his FO, and has stood by people who have proven to be ineffective. And while Ralph has proven that he's not cheap when it comes to FA's, he's also never gone after the cream of the crop either.

I also can't see Cowher entering a situation where Ralph's bottom line will affect his ability to get the guys he wants.

So please, stop setting us up for disappointment. We are not getting Bill Cowher.

I do not disagree

But:

Wishing
Hoping
Praying

is all that us Bills fans have at this point

mybills
12-17-2008, 06:45 AM
you want to bench 300 lbs? that seems kind of like a luxury pick. it's like taking mcgahee when there are other desires or needs out there.

never understood the desire to get a huge chest. it just means when you get older, you have an increased chance at man boobs. Just saying.

<public service announcement ends>
:rofl:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-17-2008, 07:14 AM
what the hell... cower only won one superbowl and it took him forever to do it. he's had his one time... not many coaches have more then one SB and has anyone won one with two diff teams? I dont think so as head coach.

so why go against the overwhelming odds that cowher can do it here?

This ends our Ralph Wilson Public Service Announcment

HHURRICANE
12-17-2008, 07:24 AM
Our owner has demonstarted that cash flow is primary and winning is secondary.

We aren't hiring Cowher and Cowher isn't interested in Buffalo.

Wilson did a good job of making the Bills look like they have one foot out the door so who wants to risk taking a job with a franchise where the 90 year old owner has no contigency plan when he dies.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Dude, Wilson is one of the best owners sports has ever seen, he's kept the team in Buffalo. He'll make it happen, right?

OpIv37
12-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Why should they stop? We need something positive to talk about. And thinking of Dickey being gone is our way

because it's not "something positive". It's just conjecture- there's no substance behind it.

HHURRICANE
12-17-2008, 08:15 AM
because it's not "something positive". It's just conjecture- there's no substance behind it.

It's the same reason you and I get criticized at the beginning of the season for saying the team is 7-9 win team.

Funny how everyone that called us negative are now collamoring the hardest for every change possible.

ddaryl
12-17-2008, 08:16 AM
we all know Cowher has less than 0% chance of being hired by Ralph... but fans should not stop the pressure and demand for a coach of his quality... We have to keep up the pressure IMO... and Cowher would be the number 1 choice of available coaches.

Cowher is probably going to end up in Cleveland... Good for them to, they deserve a qualtiy team after all the BS clevelnad fans have been through. No different then the Bills, but again we have less the 0 cahnce because of organization ineptness.

ddaryl
12-17-2008, 08:19 AM
It's the same reason you and I get criticized at the beginning of the season for saying the team is 7-9 win team.

Funny how everyone that called us negative are now collamoring the hardest for every change possible.

this is true... but it still sucks dealing with constant negativity in the offseason. I just can't do it... If I felt the way some of you guys do during the offseason I'd probably just stop payin attention and stop posting. Who wants to be miserable all the time, not me anyways, I get enough of that during the season. The offseason will always be about renewed optomism for me.

I always change my tune mid-season when it becomes obvious nothing worked. I then call a spade a spade.... We all felt Turk would be an upgrade over Fairchild. We all felt the schedule was in our favor, we all felt the addition of Stroud would make our D much better and help our DE's actually get to the QB, We all felt starting trent would be a bit of a difference maker, we all felt Lynch would be better and the OL would be better since they had a whole season together (pre Peters holdout), we all felt that hardy would have some sort of impact, and for the 1st 6 games of the season we all felt that much of this had come true....

now at the end of the season Lynch is looking strong, but started slow, the OL has problems mainly at C and depth. injuries still plague this team since Rusty left, Turk has been a roller coaster ride, our DE's just flat out need ot be replaced, Jaron is still completely inept at gametime management, our D scheme blows donkey balls and gets exposed to often, Hardy was no where to be found, and Trent can't stay healthy.

HHURRICANE
12-17-2008, 08:38 AM
this is true... but it still sucks dealing with constant negativity in the offseason. I just can't do it... If I felt the way some of you guys do during the offseason I'd probably just stop payin attention and stop posting. Who wants to be miserable all the time, not me anyways, I get enough of that during the season. The offseason will always be about renewed optomism for me.

Nobody is being negative for the sake of being negative. Just being realistic.

I actually got criticized for being "positive" in the off-season and saying that I saw a "scenario" where the Bills could win the division. Well it actually developed and I didn't get any apologies for that.

The Bills were a 7-9 win team when the season started. I think the team is better than there record if we didn't have so many injuries and at bad times but not a playoff team yet.

But the signs were there before the season started. The DEs didn't look promising and Schobel was already past his prime. No legitimate #2 threat at the wideout position and it really hurt us this year. No TE that makes a difference, hence why we went after Tony Gonzales.

So nobody was being negative, just realistic.

Jan Reimers
12-17-2008, 08:51 AM
It's a waste of time to discuss something that is not going to happen. Even my optimism does not go so far as out and out pipe dreams of the impossible.

We should compile a list of young, promising coordinators or perhaps even college coaches who might be had at a reasonable price. We could then at least begin to hope for something that is reasonable, and COULD be successful.

trapezeus
12-17-2008, 09:07 AM
i think it's far fetched for sure, but i don't think Ralph went cheap the last three times solely to go cheap. I think he followed TD into the fire and was burned. TD wanted the weak coaches so he didn't get "cowher'd" (coward? ironic) again. And Levy, his boy, told him DJ.

While i think breaking the bank is farfetched, someone close to Wilson has to say something to the effect of "maybe paying for players isn't the way to go. get a coach and a system, and then just draft well in rounds 3-7 and get decent free agents. the cost will average out to the same, and the increased productivity should increase your revenues.

I hate that ralph is so methodic about these decisions as a 90 year old guy. you'd think he'd be ready to move faster because time is running out. but i do think Ralph wants a winner just as bad as the rest of us. i think he may be forced to see the light. he might be losing it a little, but i think that Jets game and miami game came through crystal clear for the guy.

Thurmal
12-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Buffalo will hire, like, the defensive backfield coach from the Seahawks because he is a real "up-and-comer," and we will just have to hope that, best case scenario, he becomes somewhat competent as a head coach.

bigbub2352
12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
i agree with you Op and HH, no way in hell it happens
Ralph is to cheap
It would be the ultimate right decision to make
hence we wont do it
it would be instant nation recognition and identity to this team something w have lacked since 1993
so again RW wont do it
its a wet dream and it is not gonna happen
it sucks

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 02:22 PM
i agree with you Op and HH, no way in hell it happens
Ralph is to cheap
It would be the ultimate right decision to make
hence we wont do it
it would be instant nation recognition and identity to this team something w have lacked since 1993
so again RW wont do it
its a wet dream and it is not gonna happen
it sucks
Ralph Wilson is a lot of things:
- One of the worst owners in sports :check:
- One of the biggest losers in sports history :check:
- An embarrassment to the sport and his team :check:
- A dumb bastard that cries about not being able to keep up with bigger markets teams even though he's making millions from Canada that no one else is making :check:

But one thing Ralph Wilson isn't is cheap. That myth has been debunked so many times.

OpIv37
12-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Ralph Wilson is a lot of things:
- One of the worst owners in sports :check:
- One of the biggest losers in sports history :check:
- An embarrassment to the sport and his team :check:
- A dumb bastard that cries about not being able to keep up with bigger markets teams even though he's making millions from Canada that no one else is making :check:

But one thing Ralph Wilson isn't is cheap. That myth has been debunked so many times.

He's not cheap when it comes to players. He is cheap when it comes to coaches and FO. Jauron has one of the lowest HC salaries in the NFL. And when Levy left, he didn't even HIRE a new GM. He just had everyone take one step up the ladder.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 02:29 PM
He's not cheap when it comes to players. He is cheap when it comes to coaches and FO. Jauron has one of the lowest HC salaries in the NFL. And when Levy left, he didn't even HIRE a new GM. He just had everyone take one step up the ladder.
Perhaps Wilson wanted to take a more hands on approach and be the GM himself? BTW, there are a lot of teams that choose to take the more affordable route when choosing their HC's, and there are a lot of HC's making a lot of money doing damn near nothing. One's monetary value does not necessarily dictate what kind of HC a person is.

WagonCircler
12-17-2008, 02:30 PM

The amazing thing to me is, how does Ralph not understand that the revenue that would result from paying proven winners to run and coach the organization would far exceed he expense.

Be it merchandise sales, playoff revenue, franchise value, whatever... they're all affected by your W-L record.

How many times do you keep hiring career losers like Jauron and not learn your lesson?

ddaryl
12-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Nobody is being negative for the sake of being negative. Just being realistic.

I still disagree with that stement. there were plenty of naturally negative people posting negativity and then ranting on about it over and over again here during th eoffseson.

We had plenty ot be optomisitic about this past offseason... again before the season began we were riding the following optomisitic views... We all felt Turk would be an upgrade over Fairchild. We all felt the schedule was in our favor, we all felt the addition of Stroud would make our D much better and help our DE's actually get to the QB, We all felt starting Trent would be a bit of a difference maker, we all felt Lynch would be better and the OL would be better since they had a whole season together (pre Peters holdout), we all felt that hardy would have some sort of impact,

I still think we should push the Cowher issue regardless of outcome, why not or what else do we have to do until he is hired by another team.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 02:32 PM
The amazing thing to me is, how does Ralph not understand that the revenue that would result from paying proven winners to run and coach the organization would far exceed he expense.

Be it merchandise sales, playoff revenue, franchise value, whatever... they're all affected by your W-L record.

How many times do you keep hiring career losers like Jauron and not learn your lesson?
Are you sure that Cowher would be able to step right in and change things right away? I'm not, just finding the right pieces to run his defensive scheme will take the Bills at least two seasons.

OpIv37
12-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Perhaps Wilson wanted to take a more hands on approach and be the GM himself? BTW, there are a lot of teams that choose to take the more affordable route when choosing their HC's, and there are a lot of HC's making a lot of money doing damn near nothing. One's monetary value does not necessarily dictate what kind of HC a person is.

It dictates the quality of coach you can hire at onset. Now, plenty of guys who don't have NFL HC experience come in cheaply and become decent coaches. But this FO can't pick coaching talent any more than they can pick football talent. The only way Buffalo will get a real head coach is if they shell out for someone established.

ddaryl
12-17-2008, 02:35 PM

fact is he could raise ticket prices to compensate for what it would take to hire Cowher without much opposition IMHO... so the cheap argument is a strange one when the revenue is clearly there... Ralph needs to see that Bills fans will pay more for a quality team...

and the cap to cash strategy should be easy to abandon now that we Buffalonians sacraficed a precious home game to Toronto to be able to compete better with big market teams...

we must apply the pressure and as an online collective we can definitley drum up noise if we really wanted to. I don't want to sweep this under a rug and settle for more crap like the rest of you. I've got 35+ years invested in being a Bills fan and I/We deserve a championship win

WagonCircler
12-17-2008, 02:37 PM
I still think we should push the Cowher issue regardless of outcome, why not or what else do we have to do until he is hired by another team.

I still remember when we were all pushing for Spikes. A lot of people said it would never happen.

I understand that it's a different situation with players, that there's a cap floor as well as a cap ceiling, but with some creative accounting, it could definitely be done.

Bill Cody
12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
It's a waste of time to discuss something that is not going to happen. Even my optimism does not go so far as out and out pipe dreams of the impossible.

We should compile a list of young, promising coordinators or perhaps even college coaches who might be had at a reasonable price. We could then at least begin to hope for something that is reasonable, and COULD be successful.

The track record for coordinators coming into their 1st head coaching job is bad. After whiffs on man boobs and Mularkey I don't have the stomach for that. If we're going to go with inexperience I'd much rather go with Bobby April, he knows what he'd be getting into and I like the idea of promoting from within. That's the way you build a winning organization over the long haul, look at NE. ST's coaches have to deal with almost the whole roster and they need to be motivators to get people to go on the kamakaze runs. Look no futher than John Harbaugh as a recent example of someone that went straight from ST's coach to HC and has had success.

But personally I'd be real tempted to hire Marty Schottenheimer. The guy is a proven winner at least in the regular season and he'd probably be gettable for a deal even Ralph might pay. Right now I'd take choking in the playoffs vs another year of this ****. Who's with me?

WagonCircler
12-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Are you sure that Cowher would be able to step right in and change things right away? I'm not, just finding the right pieces to run his defensive scheme will take the Bills at least two seasons.

For starters, I think that had we signed Cowher last year and drafted a guy like Joe Flacco, we'd have gone to the playoffs this season.

So yes, I do think he could turn things around that quickly.

But even if it took a couple of years, and I definitely don't think it would, I believe Cowher has the credibility to earn a mile of slack from Bills fans.

Hell, most Bills fans were still cutting our current idiot HC slack until about a month ago.

Bringing in a proven winner like Cowher would electrify this franchise more than would any single PLAYER in the NFL.

I think the thing that makes Cowher special is that he gets the best out of the players he has. He worked for the frugal Rooneys in Pittsburgh.

Give this team Cowher and a real NFL QB and things change REALLY fast.

X-Era
12-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Hes not cheap when it comes to players?

Anyone who stays so far under the cap is cheap. Regardless of the reasons, they are cheap.

Have we paid a single player thats top 5 in the league in the past decade?

Can anyone here try to argue Ralph would pay for a top 5 player? EVER?

He does not pay what other teams pay up to the cap, and he does not pay for ANY top players, thats cheap.

gr8slayer
12-17-2008, 04:50 PM
For starters, I think that had we signed Cowher last year and drafted a guy like Joe Flacco, we'd have gone to the playoffs this season.

So yes, I do think he could turn things around that quickly.

But even if it took a couple of years, and I definitely don't think it would, I believe Cowher has the credibility to earn a mile of slack from Bills fans.

Hell, most Bills fans were still cutting our current idiot HC slack until about a month ago.

Bringing in a proven winner like Cowher would electrify this franchise more than would any single PLAYER in the NFL.

I think the thing that makes Cowher special is that he gets the best out of the players he has. He worked for the frugal Rooneys in Pittsburgh.

Give this team Cowher and a real NFL QB and things change REALLY fast.
You don't just transition from a C2 to a 3-4 overnight, it takes multiple seasons sometimes. You give the guy too much credit.