PDA

View Full Version : Saints wanted the #23 pick!

clumping platelets
05-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Watching Angles on MSG network: Jay Glazer from CBSportsline (who sat in the Saints war room during draft weekend) says that the Saints HC Jim Haslett called TD during the #21 pick and asked if they were interested in swapping picks (Saints wanted Boss Bailey). TD told him "We are taking McGahee." Haslett obviously felt that it was a smokescreen and said to TD, "If you don't wanna trade, just say you don't wanna trade". 20 minutes Bills take McGahee and Haslett calls TD back and says......"You were telling the truth!!" :rofl:

justasportsfan
05-06-2003, 02:46 PM
:rofl:

SoCalBillsFan
05-06-2003, 02:49 PM
:lol: gotta love TD...the one time he tells the truth everyone thinks he is lying!

The Spaz
05-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Would anyone else suspect anything else...lol:) Go Bills!

TypicalBill
05-06-2003, 03:21 PM
:cp:

EM Bills Fan 80
05-06-2003, 03:23 PM
OMG, that is just too funny

Ebenezer
05-06-2003, 03:33 PM
:lmao:

The_Philster
05-06-2003, 03:53 PM
:lol:

BillsOwnAll
05-06-2003, 06:29 PM
:lol: :lmao: :rofl:

JayWood
05-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Thats great!!! TD is the man!!

Lone Stranger
05-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Love it.

Throne Logic
05-07-2003, 06:44 AM
I just hope we're still laughing two years from now . . .

HenryRules
05-07-2003, 07:16 AM
I'd love to know what the offer was going to be. The Saints only had one second rounder and to move up 14 spots into the first round, I'd think they would have had to give up a lot ... maybe it would have involved picks next year.

Earthquake Enyart
05-07-2003, 08:02 AM
I hope Haslett and GW both get fired after this season so Haslett can come to Buffalo. :biggrin:

WG
05-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
I just hope we're still laughing two years from now . . .

Me too!

Somehow I can see Henry playing for another team leading the league in yardage every other season in spite of having 8 fumbles per year even though he only loses 4 of them, while we have a RB who can't seem to avoid injury each and every season he sets foot on the field.

3 for his last 3. We'll see. Even if it's not this same knee, he's still been hurt each of the past three years that he's played. That just doesn't give me a strong sense of confidence.

WG
05-07-2003, 12:05 PM
He's only gonna be any help at all if he doesn't continue to get hurt. If he does, he'll be next to useless.

justasportsfan
05-07-2003, 12:28 PM
I don't think anyone said Henry is leaving wys. For all you kno we might end up trading McGahee. We'll cross the bridge when we get there. I hope Henry senses the urgency for him to have a better year than last year.

WG
05-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Understood. But it'll make zero sense to keep both on the roster as early as next season unless McG is happy as a backup, which I don't foresee. Of course all of this is predicated on how well Henry plays this year too.

But to counter your statement, what I'm hearin' is far more people ready to already trade Henry in the hopes for something only marginally better w/ huge risks on the flip side, and then, only if things work out perfrectly regarding how well McG plays at this level. He played OK in '01 but not stellar, so his only great year was this past one on a team laden w/ talent.

lordofgun
05-07-2003, 12:37 PM
No one's gonna trade Henry before McGahee proves himself.

WG
05-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Then I think we're gonna have a controversy next season then. That's all.

What will we do?

Start Henry and force McG to play backup? I can't imagine that.

Platoon them? I also can't imagine that, at least not for long.

Start McG and bench Henry? I definitely don't see that.

I think it's a tough, tough management situation w/ the propensity to develop into an RJ-Flutie type of situation. At some point, even if only for a game or two, some are gonna be hard on Henry for one reason or another which will fuel the fire.

As well, I'm sure there's already a contingent out there who want to send Henry packing after this season regardless of what happens. Relegating Henry to backup status, again, assuming he has a great season, will be flat out wrong. If we're not gonna start him after such a season, then we need to trade him. It would be infinitely unfair to Henry and send a very poor message to the team, players, and fans.

Cntrygal
05-07-2003, 02:05 PM
McG is a ROOKIE...... why wouldn't he be happy to be starting out behind Henry - or any other productive RB that could help guide him to success in the NFL?!?!

Earthquake Enyart
05-07-2003, 02:08 PM
TD is holding some fine cards if a condender loses their #1 back for the season.

HenryRules
05-07-2003, 06:26 PM
McGahee did damned good as a freshman, I don't know which 'Canes you were watching ... his first few games he was their starting TB and did quite well ... got injured, and then played amazing at FB. Think about that for a sec, in his freshman year, he was good enough to be both the starting TB and FB for the national champions. What else can a guy do?

HenryRules
05-07-2003, 06:36 PM
The comments about how Henry not losing many of his fumbles being somehow attributed to an ability of his always confuse me.

Are you implying that Henry purposely drops the ball when he knows that no opposing player will pick it up? That's not a good thing, cuz that means he's dropping the ball when no one else is around and he could still make some gains.

Are you implying that Henry has mastered an ability to control the bounces/direction of the ball even when he is not touching it and can keep it away from the other team? My God, we're getting a steal on the tickets then, this man is performing miracles.

Are you implying that the other team, upon seeing that Henry fumbled the ball, is afraid to pick it up because of the bad karma associated with it? I didn't realize so many followers of Eastern religions played in the NFL.

Personally, I think its just like flipping a coin. If you flip a coin a dozen times and it comes up heads 8 times, it doesn't mean that the next time you flip the coin, you have an 8 in 12 shot at getting heads or any other probability, it simply means that 8 of the times you tossed the coin you got a heads. Your chances on the next toss are still 50/50.

Henry's odds of losing a fumble once it gets on the ground are just like any other players ... and over the course of the year, with the limited # of fumbles, some results heavily skewed in one direction will occasionally occur.