PDA

View Full Version : I Got an email Today

Yasgur's Farm
12-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Special article reprinted from Bills Digest:

By Mark Ludwiczak, Associate Editor

Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. has never been one to sugarcoat the truth throughout his 49 years as the owner of the Buffalo Bills. That’s why when <city w:st="on">Wilson </city>said after <city w:st="on">Buffalo </city>’s Week 14 loss to <city w:st="on">
Miami </city> that the Bills simply didn’t have enough talent to win, people listened — as they should have.

He’s right.

There is plenty of blame to go around as the Bills will miss the playoffs for the ninth year in a row. But sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one. The biggest reason for <city w:st="on">
Buffalo </city> ’s woes is a lack of talent on both sides of the ball.

The selections for this year’s Pro Bowl were set to be released shortly after press time. Now, being chosen to play in the Pro Bowl can be more of a popularity contest than anything at times. But it’s still an easy way to look at the top talent around the league. It would’ve been a shock if any Bills were chosen given the way the season has turned out, and quite frankly, no Bills are truly deserving of the honor this year.

At the moment, the Bills only have one true star on their team — wide receiver Lee Evans. Evans currently has 56 receptions for 935 yards. Given the state of the Bills offense, it’s amazing that he’s been as productive as he has.

http://app.icontact.com/icp/loadimage.php/mogile/205421/74ce7b49a6cc3fa8c63aea3707df7e95/image/gifIt’s not to say that the Bills don’t have a foundation to build around. When healthy and at the top of their game, Aaron Schobel and Jason Peters have the ability to challenge Evans as the team’s most talented player. Schobel had 14 sacks two years ago before a disappointing 2007 campaign and a nagging foot injury this year. Peters was arguably the best left tackle in the league last year and has taken a temporary step back after holding out the entire offseason.

There are a few other core players already on the roster, such as Donte Whitner, Paul Posluszny and Marshawn Lynch. But each of them have a ways to go before being mentioned among the best in the league; Whitner is no Ed Reed, Posluszny is no Brian Urlacher, and Marshawn is no Adrian Peterson.

In this issue, we took an early look at what could await the Bills in free agency. It’s not the best free agent group in the world, but there certainly are players that could boost the Bills’ talent level. Karlos Dansby would give the Bills one of the top young linebacker trios in the conference. Matt Birk would stabilize the center position for the first time since the mid 90s, which is much-needed given <city w:st="on">
Buffalo </city> ’s troubles battling 3-4 nose tackles this season. And if healthy, a guy like <state w:st="on">
Arizona </state> ’s Bertrand Berry could help the team’s woeful pass rush.

If the Bills are serious about finally ending their playoff drought — which is now tied for the longest in the league with the lowly Detroit Lions (since 1999) — they need be aggressive in free agency and in the draft.

It’s not impossible to quickly turn things around in the NFL these days, given the state of parity around the league — which is one reason why it’s so shocking that the Bills are stuck where they are today. <city w:st="on">
Baltimore </city> is battling with the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers for the NFC North crown just one year removed from a 5-11 season. The Atlanta Falcons have moved on from the Michael Vick fiasco and are not only fighting for a playoff spot, but are one of the more entertaining teams in the league. <city w:st="on">
Miami </city> had one win last year and may make the playoffs.

If those teams can make such a drastic jump in one year, the Bills can rebound from what’s become a mess of a 2008 season. But they’re going to need some more talent to do so.

Bills head coach Dick Jauron has been on the hot seat of late in light of the team’s midseason slide. Here is what Jauron said prior to Sunday’s loss to the Jets:

“It’s where we are and we’re disappointed about it. Do we accept the performance? No, we’re very disappointed in it. Is it unacceptable? How do you not accept it if you’ve done it? So that’s where we are and we’ve got to live with it. That’s our record and we’ve got to take it and go on and improve and that’s what we’re trying to do.”

“From my perspective there is energy put into the game and there is emotion because I live with them and I see it. Production-wise it just hasn’t been there. In terms of getting them ready again they are a group that works hard and that’s what’s been disappointing. Their work has not been rewarded and it’s a reflection on me. There’s no other way around it.

“I don’t feel like I’ve lost the locker room in any way,” he added. “I would say there’s a danger of everything. I’ve always been that way. I’ve never taken anything for granted from day one until the present. I suspect you could say yes, there’s always a danger, the same danger that existed early. Do I think it will happen? No I don’t.”

It’s always been said that the Bills have played hard under Jauron. He’s well-respected by the players in his locker room. But there’s a difference between playing hard and playing well.

Jauron has a career record of 56-75 as a head coach (including five games as interim head coach with the Detroit Lions). He has a record of 20-26 with the Bills and has only one winning season in his eight full seasons as a head coach. Against teams that have a winning record at the end of the year (and, for 2008, currently have a winning record) the Bills are 2-20 under Jauron.

The biggest defense for Jauron is that he’s rarely ever had consistent play at the quarterback position everywhere he’s coached. As everybody knows, a great quarterback can make or break a season. In <city w:st="on">
Chicago </city> , he had a carousel at the QB position with players like Jim Miller, Shane Matthews, Kordell Stewart and Rex Grossman. No standouts there. Lately, he’s had uneven play from Trent Edwards and J.P. Losman.

But <city w:st="on">Buffalo </city>'s Week 15 loss to <state w:st="on">
New York </state> could be the nail in the proverbial coffin. Jauron took sole responsibility for the team's disastrous decision to pass on 2nd-and-5 from their own 25 late in the game, resulting in the game-winning Jets score. It was one of the most dubious calls in recent Bills history.

Before the season Jauron said his team had to take a significant step forward in 2008. They haven't. A contract extension is supposed to be a reward — and you'd be hard pressed to find other coaches rewarded after such a season. Whether an extension has already been signed or not, the Bills are going to have to take a long, hard look at the direction of the franchise this offseason and be prepared to make some difficult decisions — even if it means starting over for the fourth time this decade.

Mark Ludwiczak
Email: Mark.L@americansportsmedia.com (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:Lz.setCanvasAttribute%28%27js_mailto%27,%20%27Mark.L@americansportsmedia.com%27%29)
I emailed him to the above address...

BS Cncrning Talent...
The Bills have sufficient talent such that they should be in the playoffs... As a 40+ year Bills fan, I'm as discouraged as I've ever been. Why? Because Ralph refuses to spend the money on his motivators. Nothing will ever change until that happens. Meanwhile talented players careers continue to be wasted on this laughing stock of a team.I encourage all to email as well!

DynaPaul
12-17-2008, 04:59 PM
I e-mailed him back too and explained that our poor management is one of the reasons that I stopped subscribing to "Shout!". Plus I also got tired of them trying to polish a turd almost every issue.