PDA

View Full Version : Some Bills 1st round Mock Drafts

TacklingDummy
12-17-2008, 05:45 PM
11) Buffalo - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
Curry may grade out as the top LB on a lot of teams boards, and for a team needing help on the strong side, he would be a terrific pickup. The Bills could use his all around ability to help shore up this hole.

12. Buffalo Bills (6-8) – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

11. BUF: Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
The Bills went cornerback with their first pick in 2008 and the defense is still what needs to be addressed. If Maualuga falls this far, it will be the best pick of the 2009 NFL Draft.

12) Brian Cushing-OLB-USC

13) Jermaine Gresham TE- Oka.

1o. Buffalo Bills: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. No I am not stupid. I know that they took Leodis McKelvin with their last first round pick but that still leaves a lot to be desired at Cornerback. It is not terribly pressing but when a top 10 prospect like Davis is still on the board and you could use more talent at Cornerback then they would be crazy not to jump on to this like a dog with a bone. He is better than McKelvin in my personal opinion and could be the next great Cornerback duo for years to come.

18) Bills - Brandon Pettigrew, TE Oklahoma State

14) Buffalo Bills: Peria Jerry, DT/Mississippi (Sr) – I think the failed trade to send McCargo to the Colts shows the Bills want DT depth but do not have it. I know a lot of you like Marks but the way Jerry has been playing as of late has created a lot of buzz around him and his stock is up. Marks is talented but remember DT is the hardest (other than QB) position to draft an immediate impact player and that is why a lot of DT’s go later than they should. Case in point Dorsey is not nearly as dominant as he should be

12. Buffalo Bills - Michael Johnson (DE) Georgia Tech
- Obviously, my colleague, Tony Conty has more guts than I do. As much as his production on film warrants a drop to the later portion of this round, I just can’t help but think some GM will be far too enamored with Johnson’s immense physical ability to let him fall that far. Buffalo has serious pass rush needs and flip the switch on Johnson.

13. Buffalo Bills - OT Ciron Black (LSU)*
The ground game has not been good this year. Buffalo’s problems on offense have been due in part to a bad offensive line that overachieved a year ago.

12. Buffalo Bills: Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
There are a number of reasons why the Bills have slipped to 6-7 after beginning the year on a 5-1 pace. They've had injuries on defense, and their offensive line is a huge issue, but the lack of a pass rush is almost as alarming. As of Week 15, Ryan Denney has four sacks; Kawaika Mitchell has three sacks; and that's it. No one else on the team has more than two sacks. I find that really remarkable. I know Aaron Schobel has been hurt, but still. This needs to be fixed.

12. LB, Rey Maualuga, USC

12.Bills Duke Robinson Offensive Guard Oklahoma
The Bills are on the verge on competing in the AFC, but there are a few holes left to fill. The first order of business in Buffalo this offseason should be to fix the offensive line. Jason Peters is an above average left tackle, but the rest of line could be upgraded. Robinson is an intriguing prospect; he is best suited to play guard but some teams may view him as a tackle.

12. Brian Orakpo DE Texas

12. JERMAINE GRESHAM - OKLAHOMA - TE
The Bills 2008 season started so promising, but injuries and inconsistency brought that to an abrupt halt late in the season. With a pair of young quarterbacks on the roster, Buffalo desperately needs to add a playmaker to help open up the offense and TE Jermaine Gresham might be the perfect solution. Gresham has tremendous athleticism, very good size, and will stretch the field. He needs to become a more natural pass-catcher, but there is no doubt he is an upgrade over current tight end Robert Royal. Having that safety-valve over the middle will help ease the mind of Trent Edwards and also cause the defense to show more respect over the middle and cause safeties to play closer to the line of scrimmage.

13. Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma St.: The Bills need a star tight end that can become a safety net for Edwards. Pettigrew is a huge target with great hands who should fit the bill.

13 Buffalo Eugene Monroe OT SR Virginia

12. Buffalo Bills: Everette Brown DE (Florida State)
Good production so far at Florida State. May be under sized. Makes up for lack of strength and size with good speed and agility

Ed
12-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Curry may grade out as the top LB on a lot of teams boards, and for a team needing help on the strong side, he would be a terrific pickup. The Bills could use his all around ability to help shore up this hole.

The Bills went cornerback with their first pick in 2008 and the defense is still what needs to be addressed. If Maualuga falls this far, it will be the best pick of the 2009 NFL Draft.

1o. Buffalo Bills: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois. No I am not stupid. I know that they took Leodis McKelvin with their last first round pick but that still leaves a lot to be desired at Cornerback. It is not terribly pressing but when a top 10 prospect like Davis is still on the board and you could use more talent at Cornerback then they would be crazy not to jump on to this like a dog with a bone. He is better than McKelvin in my personal opinion and could be the next great Cornerback duo for years to come.

14) Buffalo Bills: Peria Jerry, DT/Mississippi (Sr) – I think the failed trade to send McCargo to the Colts shows the Bills want DT depth but do not have it. I know a lot of you like Marks but the way Jerry has been playing as of late has created a lot of buzz around him and his stock is up. Marks is talented but remember DT is the hardest (other than QB) position to draft an immediate impact player and that is why a lot of DT’s go later than they should. Case in point Dorsey is not nearly as dominant as he should be

- Obviously, my colleague, Tony Conty has more guts than I do. As much as his production on film warrants a drop to the later portion of this round, I just can’t help but think some GM will be far too enamored with Johnson’s immense physical ability to let him fall that far. Buffalo has serious pass rush needs and flip the switch on Johnson.

The ground game has not been good this year. Buffalo’s problems on offense have been due in part to a bad offensive line that overachieved a year ago.
Um, yes you are.

X-Era
12-17-2008, 05:52 PM

There are a number of reasons why the Bills have slipped to 6-7 after beginning the year on a 5-1 pace. They've had injuries on defense, and their offensive line is a huge issue, but the lack of a pass rush is almost as alarming. As of Week 15, Ryan Denney has four sacks; Kawaika Mitchell has three sacks; and that's it. No one else on the team has more than two sacks. I find that really remarkable. I know Aaron Schobel has been hurt, but still. This needs to be fixed.

Davis, Cushing, Jerry, and Black would all be dumb picks IMO.

TacklingDummy
12-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Um, yes you are.

Samething I thought when I read "CB".

TacklingDummy
12-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Looks like most people think the Bills will pick either TE, LB, or DE.

patmoran2006
12-17-2008, 07:02 PM
They BETTER take an impact OLB or a DE in the first round, that's all I know.

If we take another skilled player in round one someone is getting shot.

yordad
12-17-2008, 07:33 PM
You address either a LB or a DE in FA, and draft the other in the first round. Then hopefully one of the top 2 TEs will still be available in the second.

Luisito23
12-17-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm fine with Fine...He's not being thrown the ball enough, much like Johnson, but he has good hands, and usually manages to get decent YAC...Get rid of Royal and start Fine next season, no need to waste a pick on another tight end.

Lexwhat
12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
If we take a CB, S, or WR, I'll be furious.

OpIv37
12-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Please no USC trash, and no WR's when TE, DE, C and LB are higher priority.

If Davis is that good and still on the board, trade down, especially if Greer is re-signed.

Some of these people creating mocks really don't know a damn thing about this football team

The Jokeman
12-18-2008, 11:35 AM
DT Peria Jerry in intriguing but not sure he gives us the pass rushing we need from the position, a guy like Vance Walker might be better suited and be available later then sooner and allow us to use our 1st Round pick elsewhere.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 11:37 AM
The only pick listed above that is stupid is Cushing every other pick makes sense.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 11:51 AM
The only pick listed above that is stupid is Cushing every other pick makes sense.
How do OT's make any sense? Jason Peters showed that once he's in shape, he plays extremely well. Walker was outstanding at RT. Kirk Chambers did reasonably well also as backup and Demetrious Bell is on the roster developing and has showed potential...unless we plan to trade Peters for multiple picks, grabbing an OT in our 1st rd would be extremely stupid!

Ditto for picking an OG that high!

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 11:52 AM

12.Bills Duke Robinson Offensive Guard Oklahoma
The Bills are on the verge on competing in the AFC, but there are a few holes left to fill. The first order of business in Buffalo this offseason should be to fix the offensive line. Jason Peters is an above average left tackle, but the rest of line could be upgraded. Robinson is an intriguing prospect; he is best suited to play guard but some teams may view him as a tackle.

12. Brian Orakpo DE Texas

12. JERMAINE GRESHAM - OKLAHOMA - TE
The Bills 2008 season started so promising, but injuries and inconsistency brought that to an abrupt halt late in the season. With a pair of young quarterbacks on the roster, Buffalo desperately needs to add a playmaker to help open up the offense and TE Jermaine Gresham might be the perfect solution. Gresham has tremendous athleticism, very good size, and will stretch the field. He needs to become a more natural pass-catcher, but there is no doubt he is an upgrade over current tight end Robert Royal. Having that safety-valve over the middle will help ease the mind of Trent Edwards and also cause the defense to show more respect over the middle and cause safeties to play closer to the line of scrimmage.

13. Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma St.: The Bills need a star tight end that can become a safety net for Edwards. Pettigrew is a huge target with great hands who should fit the bill.

13 Buffalo Eugene Monroe OT SR Virginia

12. Buffalo Bills: Everette Brown DE (Florida State)
Good production so far at Florida State. May be under sized. Makes up for lack of strength and size with good speed and agility

Any chance you could include where each mock came from? I'd like to know where the stupid ones came from...

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 11:59 AM
How do OT's make any sense? Jason Peters showed that once he's in shape, he plays extremely well. Walker was outstanding at RT. Kirk Chambers did reasonably well also as backup and Demetrious Bell is on the roster developing and has showed potential...unless we plan to trade Peters for multiple picks, grabbing an OT in our 1st rd would be extremely stupid!

Ditto for picking an OG that high!

Walker is on the wrong side of 30 and Black is a guy who could use a year as a backup and would be a good RT. We also dont know the future of Peters either. Taking an OT is not a horrible pick, as much as we hope for Bell he is still 2 years away at least. I could lose Chambers tomorrow and would not shed a tear, he has not shown me anything to have any faith in him for more than 5 plays a game.

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Including Maualuga?

Flip-flopper.

I also despise WR in round 1. Draft somebody who weighs over 235 pounds please.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Including Maualuga?

Flip-flopper.

I also despise WR in round 1. Draft somebody who weighs over 235 pounds please.

Missed that one, that pick is stupid too.

I have no issue taking Maclin in Round 1, though I think he could be had 5 picks later.

Patrick76777
12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Rey Maualuga is going to be an ANIMAL in the NFL. The teams that focus on Defense and are always good as a result, will grab this guy. I'm guessing Baltimore or Pittsburgh or Chicago.

If we grabbed this guy, I'd be very happy.

If you don't agree, I really don't care.

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Rey Maualuga is going to be an ANIMAL in the NFL. The teams that focus on Defense and are always good as a result, will grab this guy. I'm guessing Baltimore or Pittsburgh or Chicago.

Now that is how an message board debate is held!!!!

I'll let DB discuss his weaknesses. To me, in the games I saw, I was not impressed with his initial burst speed at all.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 12:07 PM

Good to know, but I still disagree. Have you watched his games? He's similar to Cushing in that he's a pile jumper. Aside from also being absolutely brutal in pass coverage. Technique wise he's pretty good and his athleticism is on par with most at his posistion, but he doesnt have the intangibles I want in a LB.

I know you don't care, but that has never stopped me before.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Now that is how an message board debate is held!!!!

I'll let DB discuss his weaknesses. To me, in the games I saw, I was not impressed with his initial burst speed at all.

To me that speed burst or lack thereof was more due to indecisiveness than anything else.

colin
12-18-2008, 12:09 PM
well we will go either pass rusher or LB IMO (unless a C/G or playmaker on O is just ranked a mile ahead of everyone else).

it is unlikely with an 11-15th pick we will have a top pass rusher there, but we may well have a stud LB, so i think that is the most likely.

i hope but it isn't likely we go and sign a great D lineman in FA, and i do think we might take a shot at kellen winslow.

winslow, a DE/DT in fa, and a top LB in the draft would really power up our team.

if we can add a quality interior blocker and another wr late in the draft we'd be golden.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Walker is on the wrong side of 30 and Black is a guy who could use a year as a backup and would be a good RT. We also dont know the future of Peters either. Taking an OT is not a horrible pick, as much as we hope for Bell he is still 2 years away at least. I could lose Chambers tomorrow and would not shed a tear, he has not shown me anything to have any faith in him for more than 5 plays a game.

What? We should pick a RT w/our 1st rd pick who is not even ready to start? You're crazy!!! While Peters was out, Chambers played very well. I was a big critic of his and was surprised and ate some crow on him. Bell is also likely to be very close to ready next year and may even surpass Chambers. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY it would be a good pick for us to take ANY OLINEMEN with our 1st pick being between 10-13 as these mocks have shown!!!

Patrick76777
12-18-2008, 12:18 PM
If only this thing were an exact science. Alas it's not. If I were drafting, I'd worry less about the physical numbers and more on attitude, love of football and plain ferociousness.

To many guys have the physical numbers but not the heart. And that's something that's tough to measure.

That's why no matter how many times someone hits you over the head with the fact that they're a draft expert, I just laugh. It's just a huge crapshoot!

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Draft nerd fight!

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 12:20 PM
To me that speed burst or lack thereof was more due to indecisiveness than anything else.

I saw your aforementioned athleticism issue there. Likely it is a combo of both. Regardless, we weem to agree it is an issue.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 12:46 PM
What? We should pick a RT w/our 1st rd pick who is not even ready to start? You're crazy!!! While Peters was out, Chambers played very well. I was a big critic of his and was surprised and ate some crow on him. Bell is also likely to be very close to ready next year and may even surpass Chambers. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY it would be a good pick for us to take ANY OLINEMEN with our 1st pick being between 10-13 as these mocks have shown!!!

Since when does a guy starting or not from day 1 matter? McKelvin only is starting due to injuries. Most QB's shouldnt start year 1, a lot of WR's don't start. What the hell does that have to do with anything?

How can you say Bell is close to ready? He was a RAW prospect coming out and has seen how much game time so far?

Taking a proven OT like Black gives us insurance in case Peters isnt around, Walker declines or either gets hurt. Its not the smartest move, but its certainly not a dumb one either.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
If only this thing were an exact science. Alas it's not. If I were drafting, I'd worry less about the physical numbers and more on attitude, love of football and plain ferociousness.

To many guys have the physical numbers but not the heart. And that's something that's tough to measure.

That's why no matter how many times someone hits you over the head with the fact that they're a draft expert, I just laugh. It's just a huge crapshoot!

In that case Blake Costanzo and a lot of other DIII players would be drafted.

I dont see Mauluga having half the hear of other players.

Ed
12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Since when does a guy starting or not from day 1 matter? McKelvin only is starting due to injuries. Most QB's shouldnt start year 1, a lot of WR's don't start. What the hell does that have to do with anything?

How can you say Bell is close to ready? He was a RAW prospect coming out and has seen how much game time so far?

Taking a proven OT like Black gives us insurance in case Peters isnt around, Walker declines or either gets hurt. Its not the smartest move, but its certainly not a dumb one either.
Agreed. People get way to hung up on a guy needing to start from day 1 or else it was a waste of a pick.

justasportsfan
12-18-2008, 12:54 PM
12. Buffalo Bills (6-8) – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri :rofl:

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 01:02 PM

That's bullcrap. Besides RB, OT is one of our stronger positions...you could say the same argument of having him just in case our starter fails at just about every position. OT would be a dumb pick no matter which way you look at it. I might even argue that WR might be a dumb pick too, but that's only b'cse I like Steve Johnson and think he will do well.

The pick has to be DE, OLB, or if you don't think Trent is the guy, QB. Any other 1st rd pick will be a dumb pick!!! A top S or DT might also be acceptable if they are top prospects, but that's about it...

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 01:13 PM
That's bullcrap. Besides RB, OT is one of our stronger positions...you could say the same argument of having him just in case our starter fails at just about every position. OT would be a dumb pick no matter which way you look at it. I might even argue that WR might be a dumb pick too, but that's only b'cse I like Steve Johnson and think he will do well.

The pick has to be DE, OLB, or if you don't think Trent is the guy, QB. Any other 1st rd pick will be a dumb pick!!! A top S or DT might also be acceptable if they are top prospects, but that's about it...

Has to be?

C'mon. This team has more holes than that! Why would a top guard be bad? Or TE? Or ILB (move Poz outside)?

OT is OK, but not great. Like DB said, Walker is getting older. Chambers is a back-up. A good back-up, but a back-up regardless.

I do agree that WR is dumb though. We need to get DB to agree to that one.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 01:18 PM

Please give me a break. How is OT one of our stronger positions, we have 1 decent depth guy and we just signed a recycled OT in Scott! How is it a strong position?? There is no good depth there and NOBODY Id trust to start a game at this point.

The pick could be any position but; OG, OC, RB, K or P...anything else is acceptable.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Has to be?

C'mon. This team has more holes than that! Why would a top guard be bad? Or TE? Or ILB (move Poz outside)?

OT is OK, but not great. Like DB said, Walker is getting older. Chambers is a back-up. A good back-up, but a back-up regardless.

We need a top Guard, or TE, but at 10-13, that is too high a value. So while the team would benefit positionwise, valuewise, the pick would suck. I don't know that moving Poz to outside is a good idea, but that's debatable.

DB will never agree to WR being dumb while we don't have a set #2 WR. He likes Hardy but it will take him time. I understand his position, but think that we have people who will pan out at the position, so I'm not worried about it. If we want someone to produce big #s immediately, we'll need to go to FA.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Has to be?

How is WR a dumb pick?? We have no future #2 WR at this point. Hardy is out most of next year and has shown very little and while Steve Johnson has shown more, he still only has 9 catches this season which tells us only a little bit more than it does for Hardy. I think a lot of that is on the QB, but Im not ready annoit Steve Johnson because he's been able to outplay James Hardy and Roscoe Parrish, that ain't saying much.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Please give me a break. How is OT one of our stronger positions, we have 1 decent depth guy and we just signed a recycled OT in Scott! How is it a strong position?? There is no good depth there and NOBODY Id trust to start a game at this point.

The pick could be any position but; OG, OC, RB, K or P...anything else is acceptable.

We are in much more desperate need for a Guard. If Dockery goes down, who fills in for him? Same w/Butler? Preston is playing Center now, Whittle gets hurt every game he plays almost. But you don't advocate for a Guard in our 1st rd do you? The same reason you don't advocate a Guard (which in my opinion might even be a bigger need than OT) is the same reason I don't advocate an OT. And w/Chambers and Bell (and Brandon Rodd and now Scott) we have much more backup at the position than almost any other except WR...

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 01:58 PM
How is WR a dumb pick?? We have no future #2 WR at this point. Hardy is out most of next year and has shown very little and while Steve Johnson has shown more, he still only has 9 catches this season which tells us only a little bit more than it does for Hardy. I think a lot of that is on the QB, but Im not ready annoit Steve Johnson because he's been able to outplay James Hardy and Roscoe Parrish, that ain't saying much.

WR is dumb because the Bills just spent a 2nd on a guy and there is at least something at that position with Reed.

There is no real TE on the roster. Only one OLB. Only one safety. DE is more of a need. DT is a greater need.

WR is way down the list, imo.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, that would be a horrible (but typical) pick for the Bills. Far worse than the Whitner pick.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 02:00 PM

Hell yeah he's going to be an animal, a flat out beast....... just not in the 4-3 defense.

Ed
12-18-2008, 02:04 PM
We could always draft an OT and move Walker to guard...

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 02:06 PM
We could always draft an OT and move Walker to guard...
God, that would set the Bills back more than you'll ever know. You should have seen him at OG in Oakland, maybe the worst I've ever seen.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 02:16 PM
We are in much more desperate need for a Guard. If Dockery goes down, who fills in for him? Same w/Butler? Preston is playing Center now, Whittle gets hurt every game he plays almost. But you don't advocate for a Guard in our 1st rd do you? The same reason you don't advocate a Guard (which in my opinion might even be a bigger need than OT) is the same reason I don't advocate an OT. And w/Chambers and Bell (and Brandon Rodd and now Scott) we have much more backup at the position than almost any other except WR...

I dont disagree about needing an OG but there is no OG worth a top 15 pick, but there are OT's worth it. Im just saying its not a bad pick and your comparison while correct in needing an OG more, is not a fair argument because no OG is worth our pick value wise.

Ed
12-18-2008, 02:17 PM
God, that would set the Bills back more than you'll ever know. You should have seen him at OG in Oakland, maybe the worst I've ever seen.
Why do people still bring up his play at Oakland? People ripped him a part for his OT play there too, saying he was responsible for 14 sacks a year and what not. Anything he did in Oakland is irrelevent at this point. He's been great at RT and he did an excellent job filling in at LT for Peters.

I'm not saying the Bills should consider this, but I seriously doubt he'd be aweful at guard.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Hell yeah he's going to be an animal, a flat out beast....... just not in the 4-3 defense.

I dont even think he's going to be successful there. He really struggles in traffic, I just dont see him as a good NFL LB.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Why do people still bring up his play at Oakland? People ripped him a part for his OT play there too, saying he was responsible for 14 sacks a year and what not. Anything he did in Oakland is irrelevent at this point. He's been great at RT and he did an excellent job filling in at LT for Peters.

I'm not saying the Bills should consider this, but I seriously doubt he'd be aweful at guard.
Not really, he started his career as one of the best YOUNG OT's in the game. Then they moved him to OG and he just went straight down hill no matter what position he was playing. Yeah, he did an excellent job filling in against a nobody defense in Seattle, congratulations.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 02:19 PM
I dont even think he's going to be successful there. He really struggles in traffic, I just dont see him as a good NFL LB.
Was more of an attempt at sarcasm than anything, I'm not a fan at a guy either way. But IF he's going to be successful I think his best shot is in the 3-4.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I dont disagree about needing an OG but there is no OG worth a top 15 pick, but there are OT's worth it. Im just saying its not a bad pick and your comparison while correct in needing an OG more, is not a fair argument because no OG is worth our pick value wise.

That's right - no OG is worth our pick value wise and my contention is that no OT is worth our 1st rd pick position-needwise.

Ed
12-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Not really, he started his career as one of the best YOUNG OT's in the game. Then they moved him to OG and he just went straight down hill no matter what position he was playing. Yeah, he did an excellent job filling in against a nobody defense in Seattle, congratulations.
Right, which included OT.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 02:21 PM
If it isn't a DE or LB at this point it might as well be a wasted pick (unless something changes on the roster from now until the draft.) The Bills are NEVER going to get any better with the C2 if they don't start getting the right pieces in place.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Right, which included OT.
After the moronic switch to OG. He was a completely different OT after they tried to make the switch and it clearly screwed him up. Don't make the same mistake in Buffalo, he's shown time and time again that he's not a OG.

ddaryl
12-18-2008, 02:23 PM
The best highest rated DE or OLB at #1 is a must

Ed
12-18-2008, 02:27 PM
After the moronic switch to OG. He was a completely different OT after they tried to make the switch and it clearly screwed him up. Don't make the same mistake in Buffalo, he's shown time and time again that he's not a OG.
I think being a Raider screwed him up, not the position switch.

But whatever, I'm certainly not advocating we go OT in the first round.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 02:27 PM
The best highest rated DE or OLB at #1 is a must
It's going to be hard to miss on the DE where the Bills will be drafting, this is a pretty deep class. But it will be easy to miss on the OLB, there are a lot of highly overrated guys out there at this juncture. If the Bills want to get serious about the C2 they'll move Posluszny to the outside (where he belongs) and draft a real C2 MLB.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 02:33 PM
That's right - no OG is worth our pick value wise and my contention is that no OT is worth our 1st rd pick position-needwise.

You know better than to draft solely on need, which there is one of at OT. No matter how high or low you rank it.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 02:34 PM
It's going to be hard to miss on the DE where the Bills will be drafting, this is a pretty deep class. But it will be easy to miss on the OLB, there are a lot of highly overrated guys out there at this juncture. If the Bills want to get serious about the C2 they'll move Posluszny to the outside (where he belongs) and draft a real C2 MLB.

Interesting...I consider this a deep LB class...

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Interesting...I consider this a deep LB class...
Well, that's not to say that the LB class isn't deep. But you have some guys like Cushing who will be rated much higher than they really should be and some teams like the Bills might be tempted to take someone like him far too early.

jamze132
12-18-2008, 02:38 PM
A receiver in RD1 is dumb pick for the simple reason that our D-line is one of the worst in the NFL. I could live with the best LB available in RD1 but we need to focus on the trenches before this team is going to win more than 7 games in a season.

You can pick WRs on Day1 until hell freezes over and you won't win ****. Just ask the Lions. You need to solidify both lines before branching out IMO. Ya gotta work from the inside out...

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 02:46 PM
A receiver in RD1 is dumb pick for the simple reason that our D-line is one of the worst in the NFL. I could live with the best LB available in RD1 but we need to focus on the trenches before this team is going to win more than 7 games in a season.

You can pick WRs on Day1 until hell freezes over and you won't win ****. Just ask the Lions. You need to solidify both lines before branching out IMO. Ya gotta work from the inside out...

I understand what you're saying but you also need playmakers, of which we have only two on our offense. Our D is pretty bad and our DL is disgusting however the classes there are deep and say a Crabtree falls (not going to happen, but play along) you really going to pass on him for an Orakpo? No way in hell.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 02:46 PM
You know better than to draft solely on need, which there is one of at OT. No matter how high or low you rank it.

Which there is one of at OT??? You just agreed with me at OG was a higher need (positionwise).

And I am not drafting solely on need. I am drafting on valuewise AND position needwise. As such, OT falls off the list b'cse it's position needwise is low. DE is high but it means dumping Kelsay which I question whether this FO will do considering they are the ones that gave him the contract. OLB to replace Crowell/Ellison is a need that they will likely address at some point this draft. But regardless of a good LB, cover 2 falls apart without the front 4 penetrating - which makes me value a DE as the highest need.

Drafting an OT is not going to help the team at all this year or maybe even next as we don't currently have a problem with our Tackles. Drafting a road grating Guard in the later rounds will have an impact however.

If it's me, I'm doing the following - providing no outstanding people fall, I'd use the following as my template

1. DE
2. OLB
3. C
4. OG - huge road grater

From here on I'm more flexible:
5. DT or S
6. OG - road grater - Whittle is not a road grater, and I'm hoping Preston is just a backup for Center and Fowler gone. We'll need more backup
7. BPA (TE project? - low priority. QB project? I think I'd prefer to bring in a low priced vet)

Undrafted: Center, OG - I think we should have 1 of each in our PS!

If a good project DT for our cover 2 is available, I could go with at #5. Or else, a speedy safety. But I think the FO will keep the Byron Scott (SS) and Whitner (FS) combo that they started last week.

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Mystic, this road grater idea has to stop. The Bills have huge road graters on the line. The Bills already have the biggest O-line in the NFL. Size (to a point) is the most overhyped aspect of O-linemen.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Which there is one of at OT??? You just agreed with me at OG was a higher need (positionwise).

And I am not drafting solely on need. I am drafting on valuewise AND position needwise. As such, OT falls off the list b'cse it's position needwise is low. DE is high but it means dumping Kelsay which I question whether this FO will do considering they are the ones that gave him the contract. OLB to replace Crowell/Ellison is a need that they will likely address at some point this draft. But regardless of a good LB, cover 2 falls apart without the front 4 penetrating - which makes me value a DE as the highest need.

Drafting an OT is not going to help the team at all this year or maybe even next as we don't currently have a problem with our Tackles. Drafting a road grating Guard in the later rounds will have an impact however.

If it's me, I'm doing the following - providing no outstanding people fall, I'd use the following as my template

1. DE
2. OLB
3. C
4. OG - huge road grater

From here on I'm more flexible:
5. DT or S
6. OG - road grater - Whittle is not a road grater, and I'm hoping Preston is just a backup for Center and Fowler gone. We'll need more backup
7. BPA (TE project? - low priority. QB project? I think I'd prefer to bring in a low priced vet)

Undrafted: Center, OG - I think we should have 1 of each in our PS!

If a good project DT for our cover 2 is available, I could go with at #5. Or else, a speedy safety. But I think the FO will keep the Byron Scott (SS) and Whitner (FS) combo that they started last week.

So let me get this straight you want ignore glaring needs at starting TE, and starting FS to go with a backup OG first? What sense does that make exactly??

My needs position wise are this;
1. DE
2. OLB
3. FS
4. OC
5. TE
6. OG
7. OT
8. QB
9. DT
10. CB

However I could argue any position 1-9 to be a good pick as our 1st Rounder as long as the value is there.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Mystic, this road grater idea has to stop. The Bills have huge road graters on the line. The Bills already have the biggest O-line in the NFL. Size (to a point) is the most overhyped aspect of O-linemen.

Road Grater and Size are not automatically linked. We need a road grater which we don't have.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 02:53 PM

The line may be huge, but they don't excel at the run game. When I say road grater, I am referring to picking linemen that actually excel at the run game. Lynch is our superstar - not Trent. As such, we need to start focusing more and building the team around him.

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 02:53 PM
So let me get this straight you want ignore glaring needs at starting TE, and starting FS to go with a backup OG first? What sense does that make exactly??

1. DE
2. OLB
3. FS
4. OC
5. TE
6. OG
7. OT
8. QB
9. DT
10. CB

However I could argue any position 1-9 to be a good pick as our 1st Rounder as long as the value is there.

I can't justify the top 3 needs being on defense when the offense is ranked 30th and had two straight games of 3 points.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I can't justify the top 3 needs being on defense when the offense is ranked 30th and had two straight games of 3 points.

I cant go just with a ranking either, part of it was coaching, your lucky I put QB down so low. In reality I should of put it in the top 3.

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Road Grater and Size are not automatically linked. We need a road grater which we don't have.

No, we need better blocking schemes and better coaching.

I would like a center or depth at guard or OT. I could even deal with one drafted 1st. But really, the last 4 or 5 games the OL has been OK. Lynch has had holes and the pass protection has been better.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 02:58 PM

1. DE
2. OLB
3. FS
4. OC
5. TE
6. OG
7. OT
8. QB
9. DT
10. CB

We cannot fill every hole through the draft. So unless we have more than 7 picks, you ignored DT in your draft for an OT in the 7th?

I'm not ignoring TE or FS. But Schouman and Fine are serviceable even if we don't renew Royal (though there are games where he wakes up). At FS, I think they did exactly what I had said and have placed Scott at SS and moved Whitner to FS. I had predicted they would likely do this, but I thought they might wait til next year to do it. Whitner didn't look good last game but I'm not going to hold it against him yet since he just transitioned and they may be altering how they want him to do things...and besides, who looked good last week? Hardly anyone.

The only reason I take a backup OG is b'cse Guards get hurt often. Dockery is getting older also and we need to ensure that we have a serviceable backup considering Whittle is probably gone, and I really don't know what will be the status of Preston...even if he's with the team, he is no good at Guard and should back up Center only!

But the 2nd OG is more in my flexible area so I could go with something else if there is a player that warrants it.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 03:04 PM
And there really is no point in having road graters is the scheme isn't going to allow them to play to their strengths.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I cant go just with a ranking either, part of it was coaching, your lucky I put QB down so low. In reality I should of put it in the top 3.
And QB should be in the top three when it comes to positions of need. It just isn't number one, the Bills have GOT to get the C2 fixed.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 03:05 PM

And how much of that is the QB's fault?

No, we need better blocking schemes and better coaching.

I would like a center or depth at guard or OT. I could even deal with one drafted 1st. But really, the last 4 or 5 games the OL has been OK. Lynch has had holes and the pass protection has been better.

Well, coaching could very well have something to do with it. Lynch had holes the last game vs the Jets and we almost won until JP/coaches did something stupid. But it just goes to show you that if we can get the run game going ALL of the time, we wouldn't have to rely on Trent so much, we can eat up the clock more, and maybe actually win a few games with a better defense.

So going defense early is not a bad thing. As long as the coaches don't screw it up when it's execution time!

jamze132
12-18-2008, 03:06 PM
I think the term "value" is thrown around too much. I won't take a certain guy at a certain position because he isn't justifiable for that particular pick? I think that is ******ed...to an extent.

If I need a good OLB and I'm picking at 10, but the best one available is projected at 15-20, I'm probably going to take him because I need him. Who cares if some draft guru thinks he isn't worthy of that high of a pick and that pick didn't get good "value"? BS.

This Buffalo team doesn't have the option to make luxury picks and skill position picks because we need "playmakers". This team has a glaring need on the D-line and it needs to be addressed with the best player available in that position. I understand the some drafts are often deep with solid players but I don' think this team has the ability to gamble and be cute and think they can always get their player later. **** that. If the guy you want is on the board when you pick, take him.

The draft is like a box of ****ing chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. So make the majority of your picks based on team needs and hope for the best.

I am going to be super upset if our Day1 doesn't consist of a DL and an OLB. Those two positions will hold more "value" to us.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 03:11 PM
I think the term "value" is thrown around too much. I won't take a certain guy at a certain position because he isn't justifiable for that particular pick? I think that is ******ed...to an extent.

If I need a good OLB and I'm picking at 10, but the best one available is projected at 15-20, I'm probably going to take him because I need him. Who cares if some draft guru thinks he isn't worthy of that high of a pick and that pick didn't get good "value"? BS.

This Buffalo team doesn't have the option to make luxury picks and skill position picks because we need "playmakers". This team has a glaring need on the D-line and it needs to be addressed with the best player available in that position. I understand the some drafts are often deep with solid players but I don' think this team has the ability to gamble and be cute and think they can always get their player later. **** that. If the guy you want is on the board when you pick, take him.

The draft is like a box of ****ing chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. So make the majority of your picks based on team needs and hope for the best.

I am going to be super upset if our Day1 doesn't consist of a DL and an OLB. Those two positions will hold more "value" to us.

That's an absolute horrible way to draft, Im sorry.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Agree 100%

That's how you end up with guys like Whitner. But BPA is equally as bad in a lot of cases; one thing the Bills have going for them going into the draft is that they have more positions of need than should be legally possible and really can't go wrong either way.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 03:14 PM

Picking based on need only and not value also can lead to a bad draft. Here's a possible scenario that explains why: One of our biggest needs is Center. If we go and take Center with our 1st pick and then address DE (our next need position), we would likely end up with the top Center along with the 4th or 5th ranked DE in rd 2. However, if we pay attention to value also, and pick DE first - b'cse value dictates that we should, we could end up with the 2nd or 3rd best DE AND still get the 1st/top Center with our second rd pick. This is why paying attention to value is important also.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Picking based on need only and not value also can lead to a bad draft. Here's a possible scenario that explains why: One of our biggest needs is Center. If we go and take Center with our 1st pick and then address DE (our next need position), we would likely end up with the top Center along with the 4th or 5th ranked DE. However, if we pay attention to value also, and pick DE first - b'cse value dictates that we should, we could end up with the 2nd or 3rd best DE AND still get the 1st/top Center with our second rd pick. This is why paying attention to value is important also.
Value vs. need is the eternal discussion. You really do have to attack every single draft differently.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 03:22 PM
DB, did you get a chance to watch Chris Reisert (QB) at all this year?

jamze132
12-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Agree 100%

That's how you end up with guys like Whitner. But BPA is equally as bad in a lot of cases; one thing the Bills have going for them going into the draft is that they have more positions of need than should be legally possible and really can't go wrong either way.
I never agreed with the Whitner pick, I think it was horrible.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I never agreed with the Whitner pick, I think it was horrible.
Yeah, though it's hard to say that Mangold or Cutler would be having the same success with the Bills right now. Both of them were lucky enough to be drafted by teams who have a proven record of successfully raising their draft picks.

jamze132
12-18-2008, 03:30 PM
If I'm picking at 10 and my biggest need is OLB, I'm going to fill that need. Obviously you are going to take into account the rest of your needs and draft accordingly, I just didn't want to take every possible scenario and put it into a post.

jamze132
12-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah, though it's hard to say that Mangold or Cutler would be having the same success with the Bills right now. Both of them were lucky enough to be drafted by teams who have a proven record of successfully raising their draft picks.
Why is it hard to say that about Mangold? I can understand the Cutler pick since every QB will play differently in a different system with different coaches, but it's pretty simple for an O-lineman to move from team to team and be successful if he has the tools.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 03:33 PM
DB, did you get a chance to watch Chris Reisert (QB) at all this year?

Just a few highlights, they dont TV broadcast any of Ohio Dominian's games since its only NAIA. He actually didnt play in the Cactus Bowl each which was a little dissapointing. Numbers wise he looks good, in the videos I saw he looked (mechnically, because you know I hate highlight vids). He's got good measureables too.

You got film on him?

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Why is it hard to say that about Mangold? I can understand the Cutler pick since every QB will play differently in a different system with different coaches, but it's pretty simple for an O-lineman to move from team to team and be successful if he has the tools.
Well, can you think of an OL that the Bills drafted that has really panned out well? I'll give you Peters even though he wasn't necessarily drafted, but who else?

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Just a few highlights, they dont TV broadcast any of Ohio Dominian's games since its only NAIA. He actually didnt play in the Cactus Bowl each which was a little dissapointing. Numbers wise he looks good, in the videos I saw he looked (mechnically, because you know I hate highlight vids). He's got good measureables too.

You got film on him?
Only have one game on tape, I'll see if I can get it copied and mail it out to you after the holidays. Looks like a sleeper to me, obviously he probably won't get drafted, but may be able to take the Romo route.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Only have one game on tape, I'll see if I can get it copied and mail it out to you after the holidays.

That would work if you can make it happen.

jamze132
12-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Picking based on need only and not value also can lead to a bad draft. Here's a possible scenario that explains why: One of our biggest needs is Center. If we go and take Center with our 1st pick and then address DE (our next need position), we would likely end up with the top Center along with the 4th or 5th ranked DE in rd 2. However, if we pay attention to value also, and pick DE first - b'cse value dictates that we should, we could end up with the 2nd or 3rd best DE AND still get the 1st/top Center with our second rd pick. This is why paying attention to value is important also.
I guess I should have been more specific in my original post. Obviously if our team has more than one glaring need that needs to be addressed on Day1, you could take the value chart and the depth at each position into more consideration, as you should. Obviously the Bills have about 20 glaring needs so it's a little different with this draft.

I was just trying to make the point that you shouldn't always go with value when you have a glaring need. 90% of the time though, I am going to address my needs in order of precedence unless there is an absolute travesty on the big board and a super cool player is still there... That's where the other 10% comes from.

jamze132
12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Well, can you think of an OL that the Bills drafted that has really panned out well? I'll give you Peters even though he wasn't necessarily drafted, but who else? None... maybe Butler one day... Because we refuse to address our biggest needs on Day1 where most of the best players are available.

jamze132
12-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Depending one what transpires in FA (which I have no high hopes for) we need to focus our attention on the lines.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 03:44 PM
None... maybe Butler one day... Because we refuse to address our biggest needs on Day1 where most of the best players are available.
Watch out where you say that.

TacklingDummy
12-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Any chance you could include where each mock came from? I'd like to know where the stupid ones came from...

No, but I'll give you the link to the page that has all the links :up:

http://www.dcprosportsreport.com/MockDraft.htm

X-Era
12-19-2008, 06:22 AM

My second plan if we cant land Curry or our top DE and if QB isnt something were looking for is to draft an ILB and move Poz outside... guess thats more like a 4th plan :up:

Ray is a stud IMO. But I REALLY like Spikes, playing the 5-2 means he covers aton of ground and his int for a TD shows he could cover our MLB spot well.

Laur, Ray, or Spikes would have me giddy. But no, not all of them are worthy of the 11 spot.