PDA

View Full Version : Isnt this a failed approach at our roster?

X-Era
12-18-2008, 06:19 AM
How many times have you heard Jauron say every game counts?

And if anyone knows that players get injured its him.

Yet we have guys like Kirk Chambers, and Jason Whittle backing up our OL? Or Copeland Bryan, or Corto? Dont get me wrong, I like some of these guys, but as garbage time players, not as starters due to injury.

If every game counts, why are those guys not backups who are pushing the starters for their jobs instead of UFA's or third tier FA's?

Ellison is a perfect example. We knew that he wasnt starting material and went out and signed Mitchell to replace him. But then when Crowell went down and Bowen was already gone, we didnt sign someone to start and instead went back to Ellison. If he wasnt good enough to start anymore, why did we put him out there again for another year? Vilma was out there, and so were others. No choice? Yo0ur choice is in the offseason. Thats when you have a chance to make your WHOLE roster better. There were options as backups that were better than Ellison. We should have signed a guy who could start and was a better option than Ellison in case of injury. Instead we went with Digi and Corto. And yes, Ellison was the best option then but it left a real hole.

Every year we fill our backup spots, in part, with no namers who have little upside, guys that have shown they arent really able to start, or late rounders who are as green as the hills. And every year they get sent in to play from time to time to start due to injury. And every time that happens we have gaping holes that get exploited big time.

I will give Jauron credit, these guys seem to overachieve as much as they can. But they also still fail us and in part cost us games. You look at some of the stronger teams in the league and there rosters have well thought of backups. Guys like Kiwi and Tuck were backups for the Giants just a few years ago.

If every game matters, our backups ought to be truly, and likely, able to fill in without much of a drop off.

Roster management has been poor IMO for a while, its a critical part of making every game count and we have suffered dearly because of it.

jamze132
12-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Yeah we got it... The Bills suck and so does Dick.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Op has been hammering away at this same point for about 3 years or so now.

Typ0
12-18-2008, 07:15 AM
What is the source of the problem?

GreedoII
12-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Perhaps their hands are tied in terms of how much they can spend to bring in better quality guys. I mean isn't the motto Cap to Cash? Personally I don't think Dick is a good evaluator anyway, but guys like Brandon/Modrak/Guy are tied up in terms of who to bring in as well as how much to spend. It's my only guess.

Typ0
12-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Perhaps their hands are tied in terms of how much they can spend to bring in better quality guys. I mean isn't the motto Cap to Cash? Personally I don't think Dick is a good evaluator anyway, but guys like Brandon/Modrak/Guy are tied up in terms of who to bring in as well as how much to spend. It's my only guess.

I thought it was cash to the crap myself. I believe they have a long term budget instead of a short term one. They have been told over ten years they can spend so much...so they are stuck trying to put a winner together by getting decent talent in certain areas and then when they think things are starting to get together they will spend on filling in the gaps for a couple years in hopes of getting to the top. I also think it sucks and seriously diminishes the odds that you are ever going to have any playoffs success.

GreedoII
12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
I thought it was cash to the crap myself. I believe they have a long term budget instead of a short term one. They have been told over ten years they can spend so much...so they are stuck trying to put a winner together by getting decent talent in certain areas and then when they think things are starting to get together they will spend on filling in the gaps for a couple years in hopes of getting to the top. I also think it sucks and seriously diminishes the odds that you are ever going to have any playoffs success.

Agreed. I think this may be a result of of Butler putting the franchise at risk in terms of the cap so I assume Wilson doesn't want that to happen again. Especially with his age and leaving his family with a huge capped strapped franchise. Still, that''s when we had the last half decent team so you need to spend to succeed as the saying goes.

Typ0
12-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Agreed. I think this may be a result of of Butler putting the franchise at risk in terms of the cap so I assume Wilson doesn't want that to happen again. Especially with his age and leaving his family with a huge capped strapped franchise. Still, that''s when we had the last half decent team so you need to spend to succeed as the saying goes.

and I'm not saying they are unwilling to spend either. I'm saying they are trying to manage their spending by only spending on the years where they think they are built to have a good shot at a playoff run...and then those years haven't come because we can't get any consistency of coaching staffs in here. We don't give them talent to succeed and then we caste them off pissed because they weren't successful.

X-Era
12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
There is no doubt that its a cheap philosophy overall, that's what cash to cap is.

Then just come out and say that you dont expect to make the playoffs any time soon due to lack of funds for appropriate talent, at least they would be honest to the customers.

Mr. Pink
12-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Welcome to the salary cap where you can't have stars as backups everywhere.

Not that that excuses our overall lack of depth but you can't expect superstars everywhere.

It would be nice for a change though if our depth was more focused on improving the O and D rather than the special teams.

That's the main issue I'd have for promoting April as HC...he'd keep bringing in depth players who are special teams monsters but offer nothing offensively and defensively.

The Jon Corto's of this team shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 07:32 PM
What is the source of the problem?
Coaches have come and gone, GM's have come and gone, players have come and gone, and yet one things remains the same. Think about it.....

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the salary cap where you can't have stars as backups everywhere.

Not that that excuses our overall lack of depth but you can't expect superstars everywhere.

It would be nice for a change though if our depth was more focused on improving the O and D rather than the special teams.

That's the main issue I'd have for promoting April as HC...he'd keep bringing in depth players who are special teams monsters but offer nothing offensively and defensively.

The Jon Corto's of this team shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.
You just got on Jan's **** list.