PDA

View Full Version : Top DE's and OLBs coming out

patmoran2006
12-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Ok draft nerds.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Haven’t followed much college football this year, far less than normal. I”ll have to do some offseason studying to catch up.<o:p></o:p>
Anyway, give me the top 2-3 defensive ends and outside linebackers in next year’s draft. I don’t care about centers, QBs or Tight Ends so don’t bother with them.<o:p></o:p>
Also give me a very rough projection on where they may go. I’m figuring the Bills to have between the 10<SUP>th</SUP> and 13<SUP>th</SUP> pick.<o:p></o:p>

bigbub2352
12-18-2008, 09:38 AM
OLB Curry is my favorite from wake forest
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Aaron-Curry.php

also Rey Maualuga ILB from USC he is a beast
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/Rey-Maualuga.php

These 2 are game changers and we need that more than ever on D, Curry can rush the passer to so can Rey
Also we can maybe move Poz or Rey to the outside both have the speed
i believe we will pick 12 or so and both mite be there

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 09:41 AM
I like Curry too, but he might be gone before the Bills pick. If he is there, they should snag him.

But don't discount offense. That is still the major hole on this team. They will end up with a defense ranked around 15, much better than 30th last year. The offense is still in the high 20s - 30. The offense needs more work than the defense.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Ok draft nerds.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Haven’t followed much college football this year, far less than normal. I”ll have to do some offseason studying to catch up.<o:p></o:p>
Anyway, give me the top 2-3 defensive ends and outside linebackers in next year’s draft. I don’t care about centers, QBs or Tight Ends so don’t bother with them.<o:p></o:p>
Also give me a very rough projection on where they may go. I’m figuring the Bills to have between the 10<SUP>th</SUP> and 13<SUP>th</SUP> pick.<o:p></o:p>

DE's:
1. Micheal Johnson
2. Brian Orakpo
3. Tyson Jackson
4. Greg Hardy
If Aaron Maybin from PSU leaves early he probably slides into the #3 slot

OLB:
1. Aaron Curry
2. Sean Witherspoon
3. Gerald McRath
4. Jason Phillips
5. Clay Matthews

My perdiction is the Bills will pick 11 overall

bigbub2352
12-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I like Curry too, but he might be gone before the Bills pick. If he is there, they should snag him.

But don't discount offense. That is still the major hole on this team. They will end up with a defense ranked around 15, much better than 30th last year. The offense is still in the high 20s - 30. The offense needs more work than the defense.

I agree with you we need playmakers on offense still
is there a TE worth taking that hi?
Also a center?
i like Mack from Cali and would luv to do one of our famous trade back into the 1st round to grab him after we take OLB Curry if he falls

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 09:47 AM
OLB Curry is my favorite from wake forest
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Aaron-Curry.php

also Rey Maualuga ILB from USC he is a beast
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/Rey-Maualuga.php

These 2 are game changers and we need that more than ever on D, Curry can rush the passer to so can Rey
Also we can maybe move Poz or Rey to the outside both have the speed
i believe we will pick 12 or so and both mite be there

I agree with DraftBoy on Maualuga. I have not been overly impressed and would not take him top 15.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
I agree with DraftBoy on Maualuga. I have not been overly impressed and would not take him top 15.

I wouldnt take in the 1st Round but I also dont like Cushing, Freeman or Laurinits either.

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I agree with you we need playmakers on offense still
is there a TE worth taking that hi?
Also a center?
i like Mack from Cali and would luv to do one of our famous trade back into the 1st round to grab him after we take OLB Curry if he falls

Perhaps not. But taking an OT is not a bad idea. Seeing if a trade back is possible is a good idea (Picture moving from 12th to 18th, picking up an extra 2nd) and taking a TE. Of course, trading back is only possible if there is a partner and the price is right, but it is worth discussing.

I agree if Curry is there it is a no-brainer. But after that? Maybe Orakpo is a real good pick as well.

Of course, any FA moves can change all of this.

patmoran2006
12-18-2008, 10:11 AM

While I don’t discount offense and I do agree with you we need more work as a whole on offense, I don’t see any case where a first round pick, especially one in top dozen can be justified that high in the draft. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
What do we need on offense?<o:p></o:p>
Center: Absolutely. But there isn’t going to be a center going in the Top 12 of the draft.<o:p></o:p>
Wide Receiver: Of course we can use a real #2. But we drafted hardy high just a year ago, and Josh Reed does contribute. I’m open to getting another WR (because I also think Parrish is a bum besides PR’s), but not that high.<o:p></o:p>
Tight End: No way we’re taking a tight end that high in the draft, the kid from OU I heard is great, but Top 12?<o:p></o:p>
We’re set at RB, locked into both our tackles, Dockery costed us a ton and we just extended <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City>. I don’t see anyway we pick offense with the first pick, assuming we didn’t move down in the draft.<o:p></o:p>
The first pick clearly needs to be a front seven impact player.<o:p></o:p>

bigbub2352
12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Perhaps not. But taking an OT is not a bad idea. Seeing if a trade back is possible is a good idea (Picture moving from 12th to 18th, picking up an extra 2nd) and taking a TE. Of course, trading back is only possible if there is a partner and the price is right, but it is worth discussing.

I agree if Curry is there it is a no-brainer. But after that? Maybe Orakpo is a real good pick as well.

Of course, any FA moves can change all of this.

I would luv for us to throw a bunch of money at Dansby or Suggs and draft a DE like orakpo from texas
We need pass rush and that solves alot on D
Offense i think we need to go after a vet like Antonio Bryant or MIchael Clayton to fill the void
I like the idea of trading down and taking Greisham at TE form oklahoma
solid there
then go after Center in the 2nd or trade back in late to grab him
that solves alot
but knowing us we will go CB again

PECKERWOOD
12-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Orakpo and Curry are my top 2 choices for our 1st round pick.

Ed
12-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I would think and hope that Center is our top priority in free agency. Bringing in some experience would make a lot more sense here then putting any hopes into a rookie. So I really hope center is not a need when the draft rolls around.

I have no problem taking a LB in the first round as they tend to be the easiest position to grade and the least likely to bust. They could make an immediate impact next year too.

PECKERWOOD
12-18-2008, 10:25 AM
I would luv for us to throw a bunch of money at Dansby or Suggs and draft a DE like orakpo from texas
Offense i think we need to go after a vet like Antonio Bryant or MIchael Clayton to fill the void
solid there
that solves alot

It wouldn't make sense to draft Orakpo and sign Suggs.. We would have so much money tied up in DE. I think Dansby would make alot of sense for this team and then we could add a guy like Orakpo or Hardy at DE. That would be the cheapest and most likely alternative. Then give me a center and TE in the 2-3rd rounds. If you sign Suggs, then drafting Curry becomes a viable option. I guess who we draft really depends on who we sign in FA.

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 10:27 AM
solid there
that solves alot

Clayton?

I'll pass. Right now, I am not sure if Steve Johnson is not better than him (or will be next year). He had one good (very good) year.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Our clear #1 target has to be Aaron Curry at this point, after that we could go almost anywhere. DE, DT, QB, WR, TE, OT, LB, CB

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Clayton?

I'll pass. Right now, I am not sure if Steve Johnson is not better than him (or will be next year). He had one good (very good) year.

Clayton does provide more size than Johnson but alos more injury risk. I dont know what happened to him but I certainly wouldnt have an issue taking a flier on him at the vet min.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 10:29 AM
It wouldn't make sense to draft Orakpo and sign Suggs.. We would have so much money tied up in DE. I think Dansby would make alot of sense for this team and then we could add a guy like Orakpo or Hardy at DE. That would be the cheapest and most likely alternative. Then give me a center and TE in the 2-3rd rounds.

I think he wants Suggs to play LB not DE.

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Clayton does provide more size than Johnson but alos more injury risk. I dont know what happened to him but I certainly wouldnt have an issue taking a flier on him at the vet min.

For the minimum, I would almost sign anybody.

But I would not sign him to fill a void, because based on current production he fills no void.

Ed
12-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Our clear #1 target has to be Aaron Curry at this point, after that we could go almost anywhere. DE, DT, QB, WR, TE, OT, LB, CB
I don't know anything about Curry. Enlighten me.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 10:33 AM
For the minimum, I would almost sign anybody.

But I would not sign him to fill a void, because based on current production he fills no void.

Yes and no, with Hardy out part of next year we need a bigger WR to fill in that role (I know, what role, right?) in case we decide to actually use an advantage for once. I know both you and I would prefer Floyd but Clayton may be a cheaper option who at least we know has some skills, how diminished are they is the question.

PECKERWOOD
12-18-2008, 10:38 AM
I think he wants Suggs to play LB not DE.

That doesn't make much since to me.. Suggs reminds me of a Joey Porter type of LB, put your hands into the ground and get after the QB. Sure he is an adequate coverage LB put he wouldn't be being used to his full ability if we used him like that. I think Suggs is a DE.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't know anything about Curry. Enlighten me.

6'2, 246lbs, 4.6-40

Pros:
-Fast
-Technique
-Play recognition
-Avoiding blocks
-Coverage
-Versatility

Cons:
-Shedding blocks
-Blitzing ability

Overall:
Curry is the most complete LB to come out in years. He is better than Hawk, or Beason. I think he is a better all around LB prospect than even Derrick Johnson was coming out. He weaves through traffic like a 10 yr vet, and he is so adapt at finding the ball carrier regardless of the blockers. I dont know how he does it to be honest. He has the speed to beat the back to the corner, or to chase a play down from behind. The one thing he excels at over all else is his ability to play in coverage. He is the best Coverage OLB Ive seen come out, ever. He is right now my #1 prospect in the entire draft.

Stats:
2005-44 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 1 sack
2006-83 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 FF, 1 INT
2007-99 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 FF, 4 INT, 3 TD
2008-101 tackles, 15 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT

patmoran2006
12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
I would think and hope that Center is our top priority in free agency. Bringing in some experience would make a lot more sense here then putting any hopes into a rookie. So I really hope center is not a need when the draft rolls around.

I have no problem taking a LB in the first round as they tend to be the easiest position to grade and the least likely to bust. They could make an immediate impact next year too.
I agree 100%<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Recent rookie LB’s have had a HUGE impact, even in their first year. Patrick Willis and DeMarco Ryans were DROY their first years, Jarod Mayo has been tremendous for NE as a rookie, Keith Rivers was starting to have a good year, and Sims from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Detroit</st1:place></st1:City> (who was taken 1 pick after Whitner, btw) is a tremendous LB.<o:p></o:p>
That 9-13 spot sounds like a great spot to take a OLB to me, especially when your current starter is Keith “Pancake” Ellison.<o:p></o:p>
Center and Tight End IMO = Free Agency.<o:p></o:p>

patmoran2006
12-18-2008, 10:45 AM
6'2, 246lbs, 4.6-40

Pros:
-Fast
-Technique
-Play recognition
-Avoiding blocks
-Coverage
-Versatility

Cons:
-Shedding blocks
-Blitzing ability

Overall:
Curry is the most complete LB to come out in years. He is better than Hawk, or Beason. I think he is a better all around LB prospect than even Derrick Johnson was coming out. He weaves through traffic like a 10 yr vet, and he is so adapt at finding the ball carrier regardless of the blockers. I dont know how he does it to be honest. He has the speed to beat the back to the corner, or to chase a play down from behind. The one thing he excels at over all else is his ability to play in coverage. He is the best Coverage OLB Ive seen come out, ever. He is right now my #1 prospect in the entire draft.

Stats:
Based on your evaluations he should be long gone before we pick?

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 10:46 AM

I sincerly doubt Curry gets out of the top 10. I can't imagine that he would be available to us...I think we will likely have to target the 2nd or 3rd best available DE by the time our choice comes...

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Based on your evaluations he should be long gone before we pick?

Long gone? Maybe, thats the thing though this class is top heavy and with a lot of juniors expected to declare he could fall some. Personally I think he's a top 5 prospect and likely will be gone but if he fell to us, I would be estatic.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I sincerly doubt Curry gets out of the top 10. I can't imagine that he would be available to us...I think we will likely have to target the 2nd or 3rd best available DE by the time our choice comes...

I agree, but I can pray can't I??

Pinkerton Security
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
DE's:
1. Micheal Johnson
2. Brian Orakpo
3. Tyson Jackson
4. Greg Hardy
If Aaron Maybin from PSU leaves early he probably slides into the #3 slot

OLB:
1. Aaron Curry
2. Sean Witherspoon
3. Gerald McRath
4. Jason Phillips
5. Clay Matthews

My perdiction is the Bills will pick 11 overall

I've read reports about Michael Johnson being a workout warrior type with great measurables, but saying he is someone who disappears wayyy too often in games. I've seen lots of mocks showing him dropping into the mid-to-late first round area. I have never even seen him play but I was thinking he was a no-brainer top 10 pick, and the more I read about him they say he is a boom or bust type.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I've read reports about Michael Johnson being a workout warrior type with great measurables, but saying he is someone who disappears wayyy too often in games. I've seen lots of mocks showing him dropping into the mid-to-late first round area. I have never even seen him play but I was thinking he was a no-brainer top 10 pick, and the more I read about him they say he is a boom or bust type.

I dont agree with those report at all and Ive read them too. Those people aren't watching enough GT games. This guy is one of the few players in the country that is schemed against. I would LOVE to have him on our team. He is a dominant factor everytime he steps onto that field. He is a workout warrior and he is a boom or bust player, but I think he's more likely a boom player than a bust.

bigbub2352
12-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I luv Dansby over Suggs anyway at LBer Suggs i was just thinking for pass rush ability
We need that more than anything
Curry is my choice i want him if he falls, but if we go out and grab Dansby i think we need to go DE, cut Kelsay and Denney keep Schobel and Bryan and Ellis and we r set
We need to do something it is better than no production i think i like Orakapo the best but am worried about Texas top draft picks not only Williams, but Vince Young, Huff, etc.
TE and C would be top priorities as well in the draft on day one depending on what we do in FA
I like Clayton for his size and the fact that we would come cheap Bryant is the guy i really want he produces and is gonna be looking at the FA market i think unless Tampa resigns him, i dont want to draft abother WR early Steve Johnson is opening eyes i called it the day we drafted him and i like him alot he should be fighint for the 3 spot next year not the 2

Dr. Lecter
12-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Keep Denney.

He is not expensive and fills a role as a 3rd DE. As a #3 guy, he is fine.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Keep Denney.

I dont mind keeping Denney either.

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Keep Denney.

I was about to say the samething. Denney is cheap, plays STs and is tall and occasionally gets balls batted down. Kelsay is the big disappointment. He isn't fast or strong enough at DE and is always late to the ball. The worse part, is he's getting paid a great deal and doing no better than Denney who is cheap. Unfortunately, I think we'll take a cap hit if we dump Kelsay, but I'd do it anyway. He never should have gotten the contract he got to begin with!

mysticsoto
I dont agree with those report at all and Ive read them too. Those people aren't watching enough GT games. This guy is one of the few players in the country that is schemed against. I would LOVE to have him on our team. He is a dominant factor everytime he steps onto that field. He is a workout warrior and he is a boom or bust player, but I think he's more likely a boom player than a bust.

I hope you're right DB, b'cse he may be available and may end up being our choice...

bigbub2352
Denney makes 2mil as a back up and he has like 3 sacks, and is 32 i would get rid of him to bring someone in more alittle more competitve at consistently getting after the passer Denney is useless as a starter ok as a reserve but expensive and gettin up there
Just sayin a way to add some cap space for Dansby

Ed
12-18-2008, 11:36 AM
6'2, 246lbs, 4.6-40

Pros:
-Fast
-Technique
-Play recognition
-Avoiding blocks
-Coverage
-Versatility

Cons:
-Shedding blocks
-Blitzing ability

Overall:

Stats:
Great, another guy we can spend months getting excited about, but probably have no shot at.

If I'm not mistaken, I think there will be some pretty good LB's available in free agency too, so maybe it won't be much of a need anyway.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 11:41 AM
I hope you're right DB, b'cse he may be available and may end up being our choice...

Id love it!!

X-Era
12-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Ok draft nerds.<o:p></o:p>
Also give me a very rough projection on where they may go. I’m figuring the Bills to have between the 10<sup>th</sup> and 13<sup>th</sup> pick.<o:p></o:p>

OK, heres my take:

DE

1) Brian Orakpo, Tex - based on prodcution vs. opponent talent level
2) Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech- has done enough for long enough to edge out Hardy
3) Greg Hardy, Ole Miss

OLB

1) Aaron Curry, Wake- probably a top 10 pick at this point. Is everywhere and does most everything right. Hes a beast
2) *big dropoff from Curry* Sean Weatherspoon, Mizzou- Unlike many Kool Aid drinkers, neither Cushing nor Freeman impress me much at all
3) Brian Cushing- like I said it gets weak fast after Curry and its either him or Tyrone McKenzie out of USF

And no, I didnt read anyone elses responses before posting... its my 2 cents after doing my own scouting.

X-Era
12-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I was about to say the samething. Denney is cheap, plays STs and is tall and occasionally gets balls batted down. Kelsay is the big disappointment. He isn't fast or strong enough at DE and is always late to the ball. The worse part, is he's getting paid a great deal and doing no better than Denney who is cheap. Unfortunately, I think we'll take a cap hit if we dump Kelsay, but I'd do it anyway. He never should have gotten the contract he got to begin with!

Cheap is our middle name so keep that mediocrity rollin!

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Curry should be the number one guy on the Bills draft board. He would come in and make a difference from day one.

X-Era
12-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Curry should be the number one guy on the Bills draft board. He would come in and make a difference from day one.

I agree... hes been number one on my wish list for months.

Its only after realizing that we probably wont get him that we have to figure out whats next.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 04:14 PM
I still think that the Bills could easily solve their problems by moving Posluszny outside and drafting Jason Phillips to play in the middle. That would allow them to go ahead and draft the best DE available in R1 and still get their starting MLB later.

X-Era
12-18-2008, 04:19 PM
I still think that the Bills could easily solve their problems by moving Posluszny outside and drafting Jason Phillips to play in the middle. That would allow them to go ahead and draft the best DE available in R1 and still get their starting MLB later.

Thats definitely a solid move IMO.

But I would have that as a second plan to bringing in a guy like Terrel Suggs or drafting Curry and leaving Poz where he is. Hes on track for well over 100 tackles... pretty damn good for a year 2 LB.

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Thats definitely a solid move IMO.

But I would have that as a second plan to bringing in a guy like Terrel Suggs or drafting Curry and leaving Poz where he is. Hes on track for well over 100 tackles... pretty damn good for a year 2 LB.
He will never dominate in the middle though, he doesn't have the athletic ability needed to play the position. Now the outside would require a lot less out of him and in my opinion would bring out the best he has to offer. I hated the picking of Posluszny from day one as soon as I found out they planned on using him as an MLB. This is of course assuming the Bills plan on sticking to the C2 defense, there are 4-3 schemes where he could stay put and play MLB.

Actually, if you want to get technical; the BEST thing the Bills could do would be to just re-sign Crowell and forgo drafting another LB and use that pick towards another position of need. Obviously this won't happen, but in my opinion would be the best case scenario.

PECKERWOOD
12-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Imagine picking up Dansby, Daniels, Orakpo and Mack!

gr8slayer
12-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Daniels is out of the question for this year, he's signed through 2009 :up:

methos4ever
12-18-2008, 04:49 PM
What about:

Robert Ayers, Tenn (6'3 270)
Connor Barwin, Cin (6'4 255) - also played TE

EDS
12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
He will never dominate in the middle though, he doesn't have the athletic ability needed to play the position. Now the outside would require a lot less out of him and in my opinion would bring out the best he has to offer. I hated the picking of Posluszny from day one as soon as I found out they planned on using him as an MLB. This is of course assuming the Bills plan on sticking to the C2 defense, there are 4-3 schemes where he could stay put and play MLB.

Actually, if you want to get technical; the BEST thing the Bills could do would be to just re-sign Crowell and forgo drafting another LB and use that pick towards another position of need. Obviously this won't happen, but in my opinion would be the best case scenario.

Agreed. I would love to know the inside scoop on how things went south in Crowell's relationship with the Bills. He really would have helped this year, especially with Stroud up front.

X-Era
12-19-2008, 06:15 AM

Im not a big Dansby fan. I think he is overrated by the media. When I watch him, I see someone who goes through the motions alot of the time and doesnt have the fire in his belly of Poz for example.