PDA

View Full Version : Greg Hardy, DE

patmoran2006
12-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Someone give me the rundown on him, I know very little at this time.

who is a good current NFL de to compare his playing style/potential to?

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 10:57 AM
He's only a junior so he may not come out. I view him as the 2nd most complete DE in the draft after Michael Johnson. He doesnt have the pass rush ability of an Orakpo but he's better v. the run. Hardy has plenty of pass rush ability but he's not an athletic freak. Hardy was injured for a decent part of this year but still managed to get 8.5 sacks in 8 games. He was monumental in beating Florida earlier this year and last year he was a breakout player.

2007:
10 sacks
64 tackles
18.5 TFL
4 QBH
3 FF
3 PD
2 Receiving TD's <-He comes in on the goalline sets as an eligible WR

This guy can beat an OT inside or outside, and has a large assortment of moves to use. He has no problem holding up an OT and making a RB come his way just to quickly break the OT off him and make the tackle. He is a pure technician but not an athletic freak. Some people have him as low a 5 or 6 on their DE rankings, he currently sits at #3 for me.

eyedog
12-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Maualuga...

They need a guy like him.

Leader. Like Talley was. They need someone with a attitude. He's a player who makes the others around him better.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Maualuga...

They need a guy like him.

Leader. Like Talley was. They need someone with a attitude. He's a player who makes the others around him better.

What?? The leader on that D is Matthews. Maualuga is a pile jumper like Cushing. Both are way overrated, plus Maualuga would struggle in a 4-3, he will have to be a 3-4 ILB so that his lack of athleticism is not exposed.

eyedog
12-18-2008, 05:28 PM
What?? The leader on that D is Matthews. Maualuga is a pile jumper like Cushing. Both are way overrated, plus Maualuga would struggle in a 4-3, he will have to be a 3-4 ILB so that his lack of athleticism is not exposed.

LOL. Yeah ok.

Too stupid to even reply any more.

DraftBoy
12-18-2008, 07:51 PM
LOL. Yeah ok.

Too stupid to even reply any more.

Unless you have some kind of proof to dispute my opinion, there really isnt anything else I can say. Rey have been criticized a number of times this season, and very specifically during the Oregon State game where he missed a few key tackles. Before getting injured late.

bflojohn
12-18-2008, 08:51 PM
I tend to have the conviction to say that Brian Cushing, every time I've seen him play, has flashed "difference maker" with QB pressure, and overall football instincts that would be highly coveted by the Bills, if he is available. I am not sure he's top-12 ranked in the upcoming draft, but at OLB and DE, he seems to make a game changing play in all the games I see (and I'm watching West Coast feeds)!! I also feel Rey Maualuga is going to be a Troy Polomalu type impact player for the franchise he lands with, so essentially, I disagree with you too. I've also heard that Maualuga had some nagging injuries throughout the season! Lastly, both guys matriculated through to their senior years and therefore are more mature in their play....

mysticsoto
12-22-2008, 02:47 PM
This guy can beat an OT inside or outside, and has a large assortment of moves to use. He has no problem holding up an OT and making a RB come his way just to quickly break the OT off him and make the tackle. He is a pure technician but not an athletic freak. Some people have him as low a 5 or 6 on their DE rankings, he currently sits at #3 for me.

Where do you have Corey Wooton ranked? Looks like he's thinking of declaring...the more DEs the better for us, so I hope he does!!!

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Where do you have Corey Wooton ranked? Looks like he's thinking of declaring...the more DEs the better for us, so I hope he does!!!

I saw the news of Wooton a little earlier and was a little shocked to hear he was considering coming out to be honest. He's a big boy a 6'7, 280 and could be a really good 3-4 DE, but also an excellent 4-3 DE. He is a little raw and could use some work with a true technician based coach. I really like his versatile potential, to even move inside on a 3rd down to play DT and let a pure edge rusher come in for extra pressure. I see Wooton as a potential complete DE. He gets in the backfield on both run and pass plays and that's mainly due to his strength and athleticism, which will be neutralized to some degree in the NFL. Not sure where Id rank him now, probably around 4th or 5th overall DE wise.

TigerJ
12-22-2008, 05:23 PM
My understanding of Greg Hardy, not having seen him play, is that he's said to not be an elite athlete. His strength is that he is a fine technician. Orakpo and Johnson are alleged to be better athletes. I know zero about Wooten.