PDA

View Full Version : Draft Blunders

raphael120
12-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Some examples...

Drafting 2 RBs in '07...Wright was worthless. We had depth. No need to draft another RB that high. Could've used another LB at that point.

Drafting 3 CB's in '08. Sure, we suffered at CB but at the same time...3!?! 2 would have been plenty! Corner has done nothing so far and if you had confidence in your #1 pick in McKelvin, you should only need another CB. And it's the FO's fault that we were so thin at CB after 2 years of "rebuilding" this team.

Drafting Fine, Omon. Omon hasn't been active a single game and Fine is just another bum, useless TE.

Now I know this year the LB situation was a weird one because we lost both Bowen and Crowell for the year before the season even started.

But what about OL? Instead of a TE in the 4th or whatever, why not a center? What about safety? Hell, why NOT another LB? Can we do WORSE than Ellison?

The Giants proved to be able to beat the Pats (who are in our division, remember), you need to rush the QB. We needed another DT, we needed another DE also. Ellis is a project at best. Between CB and DL, our bigger weakness was DL if you ask me. Our safeties are looking pretty crappy also. And we have a retread and a former WR backing them up.

And why we feel the need to have so many WR's on the practice squad is beyond me...

Ebenezer
12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I'll judge the '07 draft after the '10 season...the '08 draft after the '11 season.

bigbub2352
12-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Some examples...

Drafting 2 RBs in '07...Wright was worthless. We had depth. No need to draft another RB that high. Could've used another LB at that point.

Drafting 3 CB's in '08. Sure, we suffered at CB but at the same time...3!?! 2 would have been plenty! Corner has done nothing so far and if you had confidence in your #1 pick in McKelvin, you should only need another CB. And it's the FO's fault that we were so thin at CB after 2 years of "rebuilding" this team.

Drafting Fine, Omon. Omon hasn't been active a single game and Fine is just another bum, useless TE.

Now I know this year the LB situation was a weird one because we lost both Bowen and Crowell for the year before the season even started.

But what about OL? Instead of a TE in the 4th or whatever, why not a center? What about safety? Hell, why NOT another LB? Can we do WORSE than Ellison?

The Giants proved to be able to beat the Pats (who are in our division, remember), you need to rush the QB. We needed another DT, we needed another DE also. Ellis is a project at best. Between CB and DL, our bigger weakness was DL if you ask me. Our safeties are looking pretty crappy also. And we have a retread and a former WR backing them up.

And why we feel the need to have so many WR's on the practice squad is beyond me...
i agree with u ralph, its not the fact of waiting to see if they turn out, it is the fact of why they were drafted hence my thread about roster mismangement

Fine Bowen Corner all could have probably been had in the 7th round if not after the draft and were we took them was absurd we got lucky in Steve Johnson
But i do agree 3 cbs and 2 rbs stupid stupid stupid we had glaring depth issues and needed to address TE earlier and Ellis has been very disappointing

Sometimes makes u wonder what the hell they see in these guys that allows Modrak and the rest of them to think they no more than everyone else when they take these guys hence not being in the playoffs for 9yrs and having depth issues
also not being smart about the practice squad and actrive roster keeping players around like corey Mace who suck and not goin after fresh talent
Sad

mysticsoto
12-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Some examples...

Well '08 is too quick to judge, but so far, Fine appears to be doing well, so I wouldn't be overly critical of him. We probably could have done without Omon, I wasn't really high on that pick. I would have preferred C John Sullivan or Steve Justice at that point or a LB like Spencer Larsen. CB Kenard Cox was also useless as I expected. Any LB or Center (since they hadn't chosen one) would have been preferred here.

As for '07, I feel the same w/Wright, though no doubt, they were looking for someone w/a little more power than Jackson to back Lynch up.

What I don't like is that they don't do a good job w/the undrafted either. There's always gems to be found and this FO doesn't seem to concern itself much with trying to find some...

raphael120
12-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah it's not all about waiting, its about what positions do we have drafted players to eventually grow into?

Look at the DE rotations on teams doing well, they lucked out getting mean DE's with later round picks. Dallas, Giants, etc, etc...

We don't have a backup safety in case Ko or Whitner suck. And Ko does suck. But guess what, we don't have a young promising later draft pick behind them to maybe do something.

Same with DE. We don't have a young draft pick aside from Ellis to grow into the position.

LB, same thing. I'd take my chances with another late round LB to be better than a midget of a guy in Ellison.

See what happened with WR? We took a chance in the 7th with a WR and it's turning out that he may be better than our 2nd rounder!

It's all about taking chances and drafting for need and depth. We don't need more TE depth, we need TE STARTERS so thats why I think we wasted a pick on Fine.

One thing we did do well was take a flier on Edwards in '07 and guess what, sometimes when you draft like that things work out.

I guess our problem is hanging onto guys like Denney, Copeland Bryan, Kelsay, Ko Simpson, George Wilson, Whittle, etc and not drafting players to perhaps outperform them.

But it's pretty sad that you draft a DE and he's being beat out by a former practice squad guy like Copeland Bryan. And that's the root of it...it seems like no matter who we draft, we usually don't get very good production from them. Modrak & Co. is the problem there.

bigbub2352
12-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah it's not all about waiting, its about what positions do we have players who were drafted to grow into.

We don't have a backup safety in case Ko or Whitner suck. And Ko does suck. But guess what, we don't have a young promising later draft pick behind them to maybe do something.

Same with DE. We don't have a young draft pick aside from Ellis to grow into the position.

LB, same thing. I'd take my chances with another late round LB to be better than a midget of a guy in Ellison.

See what happened with WR? We took a chance in the 7th with a WR and it's turning out that he may be better than our 2nd rounder!
I have been saying the same thing for years, draft for needs not best player on there board Dwayne Wright didnt even get picked up by anyone
that is scary
We should have came out of this draft with another DE another DT another LBer another TE and a center for sureespecially with 3 7th round picks
get some prospects to groom and or put on practice squad
even though we still have only 51 players on the active roster and 7 on the practice squad
that is helping the depth wow

It's all about taking chances and drafting for need and depth. We don't need more TE depth, we need TE STARTERS so thats why I think we wasted a pick on Fine.

One thing we did do well was take a flier on Edwards in '07 and guess what, sometimes when you draft like that things work out.
agree again good post

Lone Stranger
12-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I agree with your overall premise that the drafting has been poor. Like the Lions who only draft WRs we seem to have the same penchant for CBs.