PDA

View Full Version : I'm VERY Happy about the choice of the new turf!

Mad Bomber
05-06-2003, 07:55 PM
The Bills are showing their commitment to building excellence in our franchise by installing a player-friendly turf in the Ralph.

As it stands now, the Ralph's killer turf is death on knees. If any of you have ever been tackled (or simply fell down) on turf similar to the current Ralph turf, it's like falling down on carpeting placed over a paved parking lot. Not too bad if you do it by yourself, but it hurts like hell if uyou have a 300+ DL driving you into it...

Thoughts?

Dozerdog
05-06-2003, 08:00 PM
I'm amazed there hasn't been serious knee injuries there since the mid- late 80-s to now.

Shane Nelson/Jeff Nixon/Jerry Butler/Jim Braxton/OJ Simpson train wreck knee injuries of the 70's and early 80's hvent happened.

But the stuff had to go. We are one of the last to keep the carpet we had (outdoor stadium anyways)

The Meadowlands, and even some grass fields(Balt) are switching to this stuff

Lone Stranger
05-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Puhlease. Who do you think is paying for this Not anyone from West Nyack. Just us poor folk from Erie County. And certainly not the Buffalo Bills.

Mad Bomber
05-06-2003, 08:06 PM
fmr60....

I'm NOT from West Nyack....I'm from Erie County. Where are you from?

What's your point?

The Bills will benefit from having a playing surface that won't kill our best players' knees.

Turf
05-06-2003, 08:33 PM
It's a good move. Excellent move. It will help attract FA's. It will look better. It's a step into the future, about time.

The Spaz
05-06-2003, 08:36 PM
What exactly is your point fmr60? I suppose you won't support the bills now seeing someone has to pay for it!? Well move away if you don't want to pay. Go Bills!

Mad Bomber
05-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
What exactly is your point fmr60? I suppose you won't support the bills now seeing someone has to pay for it!? Well move away if you don't want to pay. Go Bills!

Spaz...

You da man!

Go Bills!!!!

Superbowl 2003/4! WooooooHoooooo!

Typ0
05-06-2003, 08:48 PM
I don't mind paying for the turf...it's the preseason tickets I have a problem with...lol.

mikemac2001
05-06-2003, 09:44 PM
pre-season tickets should be like 5-15 bucks at most and give some out to like disadvantage people its not like there gonna sell them

Demon
05-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Manchester United uses this same turf (my favorite soccer team) and let me tell you, this stuff is awsome. It looks just like real grass and it's like impossible to freeze. I saw a game once in Manchester, England where it rained ALL DAY LONG and i thought for sure the game would suck becasue it rained but the field looked like it was clear skys and 75 all day long. It rains alot in England and this stuff holds up great.

Jaydog57
05-07-2003, 02:45 AM
So it's just as safe as natural grass? I know astro-turf is on concrete and when you hit the ground, you know it. Just don't wanna see my boys in Miami crashing down on concrete, that would take away from the victory with scrapes and bruises.:peacesign :cool: :peacesign

Turf
05-07-2003, 05:44 AM
I think with these new synthetic fields available, astro turf should be banned in the NFL. There is no reason to play on a carpet laying on concrete anymore.

mush69
05-07-2003, 06:06 AM
I believe this is the same stuff they installed on the new Cortland State facility and all the players love this surface. It's a step in the right direction. As far as the increased taxes go, At least your money is being spent in your area and not down state in the city!

superbills
05-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by fmr60
Puhlease. Who do you think is paying for this Not anyone from West Nyack. Just us poor folk from Erie County. And certainly not the Buffalo Bills.

Why would the Bills pay for it? In their lease agreement (notice that word agreement, two sides seeing eye to eye) Erie County is putting up $2million per year in structual improvements for the Ralph. The Bills are using that money to switch out the turf, and they're only using $500,000 of it. Quit crying. Move to Rochester if you're dissatisfied with having an NFL franchise in your county. You'll love it here. High taxes and diddly squat to show for it.

:chair:

WG
05-07-2003, 12:08 PM
It's worth it for Erie County. The Bills are a boon for EC economically and even culturally. Can you imagine Buffalo w/o the Bills? Yikes!

Originally posted by mikemac2001
pre-season tickets should be like 5-15 bucks at most and give some out to like disadvantage people its not like there gonna sell them

You can have mine for half price. GREAT seats.

Typ0
05-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Yeah that's kind of my point WYS. If they want to price the pre-season tickets like the regular season that's fine with me. But to force the season ticket buyers to pay those prices is gouging in my opinion. You should get a small percentage break for buying the entire season's worth of tickets and preferred seating. You just aren't getting incented for the seasons through the price when they force you to pay regular season prices for the preseason tickets.

TigerJ
05-07-2003, 08:40 PM
The main competitor for Astroplay is Field Turf. I wonder if the Bills researched both and if so what swayed they opinion toward the Astroplay? BTW the company that makes Astroplay is the same company that makes Astroturf.

Doc
05-07-2003, 08:51 PM
From what I've read, the Bills looked into all the different field surfaces. They didn't say why they chose AstroPlay over FieldTurf, but I suspect it's because AstroPlay is the same as FieldTurf in terms of performance, but that it will last longer because of a special process they use to make it.

Shiny Chicken
05-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Demon
Manchester United uses this same turf (my favorite soccer team) and let me tell you, this stuff is awsome. It looks just like real grass and it's like impossible to freeze. I saw a game once in Manchester, England where it rained ALL DAY LONG and i thought for sure the game would suck becasue it rained but the field looked like it was clear skys and 75 all day long. It rains alot in England and this stuff holds up great.

Manchester England, England, across the Atlantic Seee-aaaa, and I'm a genius genius, and I believe in God, and I believe that God believes in Claude, that's me.

Typ0
05-07-2003, 09:59 PM
I thought it was cool during the Miami game last season they had to bring out the giant scrub brushes to scrub down the field so we could see the sidelines and the goal line. Will they still be able to use the giant scrub brushes? Because that's a deal breaker for me.

Doc
05-07-2003, 10:19 PM
They'll use a Swiffer instead.

Shiny Chicken
05-07-2003, 10:35 PM
How bout hair?

Typ0
05-07-2003, 10:42 PM
What is a swiffer?

Doc
05-07-2003, 10:49 PM
It's a mop-type floor cleaning device that uses disposable pads.

http://www.homemadesimple.com/swiffer/index_flash.shtml

Shiny Chicken
05-07-2003, 10:59 PM
I take it everyone just takes for granted the insanity of the great Chicken and just ignores his strange rantings?

Typ0
05-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Did someone say something?

Shiny Chicken
05-08-2003, 12:49 AM
No. Never.