PDA

View Full Version : Join me as we wave good bye to a legend.....

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Tomorrow is her last game, lot's a great memories in Texas Stadium:

http://images.wikia.com/openserving/sports/images/1/16/Taxas_Stadium.jpg

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Troy Aikman played his final college game on Jan. 2, 1989, in the Cotton Bowl. His UCLA team prepared for the matchup against Arkansas by practicing at Texas Stadium.

"Growing up in Oklahoma, I watched Cowboys games all the time," he said. "The stadium was kind of a Sunday fixture in our living room. And then our bus was pulling up to the stadium for that first practice, and I'm thinking, 'This is pretty cool, just like on TV.' "

The first thing that caught Aikman's eye when he stepped on the field was the Ring of Honor. "It brought back memories of all the great players I had watched," he said.

But the college quarterback's eyes focused on one name – Roger Staubach. Given the Cowboys' poor performance in 1988, Aikman had an idea that the stadium might be his next home as a player. You can't blame a man for dreaming.

"Eighteen years later, I was very proud to see my name go up in the Ring," he said. "Standing on the field during that ceremony, seeing the names already posted and remembering their great moments was something I will never forget, and then to think I was joining them. Wow."

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Michael Irvin is emotional about many things. But when he steps on the field at Texas Stadium, he looks up into the stands and sees one thing: the Ring of Honor.

It inspires him.

"I think about walking onto the field and looking at the Ring of Honor and saying, 'I will not embarrass you on this field today,' " Irvin said. "That was their field that they built. When I walked on it, I never stepped on that field without looking at it."

Irvin wanted to play at a high level like those players in the Ring of Honor. He became a five-time Pro Bowler, part of three Super Bowl championship teams, and finished with 11,904 yards and 65 touchdowns. He was inducted into the Ring of Honor in 2005 and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2007.

So, how does it feel to see his name in the Ring of Honor?

"Now," Irvin said, "when I walk on the field, I wonder if one day a kid with that the same approach I had looks at those names, me being included, and says, 'I won't embarrass you today.' "

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Many Cowboys fans probably assume Emmitt Smith's favorite moment at Texas Stadium came the day he broke the NFL's all-time rushing record against Seattle in October 2002.

Actually, Smith's favorite moment was in the spring of 1990. The 20-year-old running back from the University of Florida couldn't believe he had just been drafted by the Cowboys.

"My one memory that stands out more than anything else is the first day I walked into that stadium," Smith said.

"That night after being drafted, walking down that tunnel, walking out onto the football field and looking up at the light beaming down onto the field ... and all you see is plywood because they're getting ready for a tractor pull. I said to myself, 'What in the world is going on?'

"But I'm standing down at the edge of the tunnel and looking at the Ring of Honor, and I'm thinking, 'Wow. I'm in Texas Stadium.' "

Smith played 111 regular-season and playoff games at Texas Stadium and rushed for 9,729 yards in Irving.

He became a member of the Ring of Honor in 2005. Smith said that it's time for a new facility and that new memories will be made in Arlington.

"The good thing about it, you can pick that history up over there and bring it right over here," Smith said, speaking at the new stadium. "There's always time for an upgrade."

Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin were inducted into the Cowboys' Ring of Honor in 2005 after leading the franchise to three Super Bowl titles. Here are a few of their memories of Texas Stadium:

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 12:01 PM
It's weird that the final game for a historice stadium won't be seen by MANY football fans.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:03 PM
It's weird that the final game for a historice stadium won't be seen by MANY football fans.
You can see it for free on NFL.com, and if I'm not mistaken Jerry said he was going to open the game up this weekend for the national audience.

Ebenezer
12-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Mertyl Fargate from All My Children?

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Mertyl Fargate from All My Children?
Never watched the show :idunno:

Ebenezer
12-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Never watched the show :idunno:
My wife does...she was a lady on the show for 35 years who passed away...they are doing a retrospective today...big cry fest.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:19 PM
My wife does...she was a lady on the show for 35 years who passed away...they are doing a retrospective today...big cry fest.
That show was on television for that many years? I mean, obviously I've heard of it, but I had no clue it was on for that long.

Ebenezer
12-19-2008, 12:22 PM
That show was on television for that many years? I mean, obviously I've heard of it, but I had no clue it was on for that long.
probably closer to 40 years...my mother used to watch it in the early 70s

THATHURMANATOR
12-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't care about this at all... :ill:

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:23 PM
probably closer to 40 years...my mother used to watch it in the early 70s
Damn, that's pretty impressive. Most shows are lucky if they make it through season #1 now.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't care about this at all... :ill:
You're right, enough talk about All My Children, let's get back to Texas Stadium.

Ebenezer
12-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Damn, that's pretty impressive. Most shows are lucky if they make it through season #1 now.
soaps never die...

anyway...never imagined that Texas Stadium looked so plain on the outside.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:25 PM
soaps never die...

anyway...never imagined that Texas Stadium looked so plain on the outside.
Dude, it's one of the most boring, crappy, disgusting stadiums I've ever been to. Thank god we're getting a new one because it's about a decade past due.

BlackMetalNinja
12-19-2008, 12:45 PM
http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/leonlett.jpg

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:51 PM
I was there, hilarious! What's funny about that is you figured he would have learned after the Super Bowl.

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Hmmm...well if it's available on tv and internet...

Eh, I'll still probably watch the Sabres game.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Hmmm...well if it's available on tv and internet...

Eh, I'll still probably watch the Sabres game.
You probably should.

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 12:57 PM
You probably should.

And then watch it again while breaking down the tape?

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 12:58 PM
And then watch it again while breaking down the tape?
I'll break down the defenses if you want to take care of the offenses?

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 01:03 PM
:rofl: Sounds like a plan

mybills
12-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't care about Dallas at all... :ill:
:hi5:

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:03 PM
IRVING, Texas - A confession, first.
I don't remember the first time I went to Texas Stadium.

I remember covering Cowboys games at the Cotton Bowl. I know I didn't go to that first game against the Patriots in October of 1971. I know I started covering some that season, as a cub radio reporter in my 20s right out of school and Army National Guard active duty. But I could not tell you for the life of me when the first time was.

And now it's time for the stadium to go. And frankly, a lot of us don't know quite what to think, or feel.

We write these nostalgic stories for print and broadcast because we must. It's the thing to do. You don't have an operation like the Dallas Cowboys shut down the pop stand and act like it doesn't matter. This is one of America's most valued and valuable sporting institutions. Where it plays matters.

It's just not as easy as you'd think to summarize what it means.
We've asked a number of current players what it means to them to be playing in the last game in stadium history. Their answer has been nearly unanimous: "Uh, sorry. Been a little busy. Trying to make the playoffs and everything, you know? Haven't really thought about it."

And that's an answer that makes sense.

(It also makes sense that if these players had done what they were supposed to do a few more times, this likely wouldn't be the last game played in the stadium. But it's the season of kindness and good cheer. Seems a little tacky to go there.)

There are preparations for a game that occupy every day of a week. And preparations for a gala send-off after the game that demand focus on detail. Who's got time to wax sentimental?

There's a reason for this, though, well beyond the stress of the normal workweek and the strain of dealing with the holidays. The reason, I believe, is the difference between football and baseball, coupled with the relativism of age.

Let's take them in reverse order. Texas Stadium isn't old enough to get choked up about. There, I said it.

This is not the Cotton Bowl Stadium. That venerable building, which will still be in operation, is hosting its final AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic on Jan. 2.

It will be the 73rd classic played in the Cotton Bowl. Texas Stadium is 37.

This is not Tiger Stadium, a turn of the century building that baseball's team in Detroit had to leave because it was falling apart, being torn down.

Richard Nixon was president when Texas Stadium was built, not Andrew Jackson. There may not have been cable or internet, but there was electricity and television.

Texas Stadium was unique and breathtaking when it opened. Technology just caught up to it.

It's also different from baseball stadiums that are unique hallmarks because baseball is different from football. Yankee Stadium was Monument Park and the right field porch. Fenway is the Green Monster. Wrigley Field is the ivy. The dimensions are different. Whole baseball teams were, and are, tailored to ballparks.

Football fields are the same. Same length, same width, same end zones, same hash marks and bench areas. College football is different because campuses are unique.

Very few NFL stadia are memorable. Texas Stadium has been, but mostly because of the personality of its tenant.

No mistakes, please: the designers did an amazing job. The proximity of the stands to the field gives the old girl as intimate a feeling as a 65,000-seat building can have. And the hole in the roof is a trademark.

But it became a trademark because of the unpredictable, emotional, spectacular, electric team that has called it home. Apologies to the times SMU football played at Texas Stadium or the North American Soccer League's Dallas Tornado, but Texas Stadium was a one-man woman. It was the Cowboys' home. No Three Rivers built from a cookie cutter for the Steelers and Pirates, or Veterans Stadium for the Eagles and Phillies, or Riverfront for the Bengals and Reds. One team, and what a team.
Only Tex Schramm could have run that team in the '70s and '80s.

Only Jerry Jones could own and run it now. This stadium became something to say goodbye to because of Roger Staubach and Bob Lilly and the Doomsday Defense, because of Drew and Harvey and Randy and Too Tall, because of Cliff and Charlie, and then TD and Thrill Hill. Because of Jimmy and the Triplets and Woody and Big L-A, even because of Big Bill. Only a team with Romo and T.O. and Ware and Witten could be the descendant of those, and take the show to the New Place.

This old girl told flashy, dramatic, entertaining stories. You know the best ones: the '79 December Washington game. Longley the Mad Bomber. NFC Championships with the old Vikings, the Packers and Favre, the 49ers. The Thanksgiving Ice Game. Jason and the Packers. Emmitt and the record.

The Ring of Honor is unique to Texas Stadium, never mind how many times it's been copied around the NFL. There had to be a Ring of Honor, because there was a Bob Hayes and a Schramm and a Landry. Even because of all the bad boys and bad times. They were part and parcel of the fabric of what still makes the Dallas Cowboys must-see TV.

And that's another reason it's a little difficult to get too nostalgic about this stadium. Some of the team's best and most memorable moments, most of you have watched on television because they happened on the road. All the Super Bowls, another difference from baseball. The Ice Bowl. Hail Mary. The championship game at Candlestick. Dorsett's 99-yard run. Just the way it was.

There's almost a poetic symmetry to the fact that this will be the last game, this Saturday night. If the NFL had had any sense of the dramatic, the last game at Texas Stadium would have been on a Sunday afternoon against Washington, and the TV analyst would be Fox's Troy Aikman, one of the greatest ever to play in the place. Not a Saturday night against a Baltimore Ravens team that has never played a game there, on the NFL Network, which most people around the country won't be able to see.

But that's football, isn't it. It's unpredictable and sometimes unfair and heartbreaking. Better not make plans, unless you're willing to change them.
And Texas Stadium, for all the Billy Graham revivals and Garth Brooks concerts and motocrosses, is a football stadium.

If you go Saturday night, please stay all the way to the end. The Cowboys have a post game celebration planned that if you're a Cowboys fan, you will absolutely not want to miss. Most of the greatest players and coaches who made this legend will come out and walk across the Texas Stadium star one final time. And then it will be time to go.

I am reminded of part of the lyrics of a song, "Goodbye Old Girl," from the musical "Damn Yankees." Aging Washington Senators fan Joe Hardy, having sold his soul to the devil so he can play for his beloved Washington Senators and lead them to just one pennant, must leave his sleeping wife in the middle of the night to be transformed into the young player who will lead his team to glory.

On his way out the door, Joe sings goodbye to his old girl. The song ends this way:

We've had squabblin' days when tears were brought about
But in a moment or two we would bill and coo
And never even knew
What we fought about
And now your Joe has to go
But he'll come back to you again
So sleep your sleep, old girl
Our love will keep, old girl, till then
My old girl

Goodbye I don't remember the first time I went to Texas Stadium. But I will remember the last. Goodbye, old girl.

LtFinFan66
12-19-2008, 03:04 PM
doubt anyone here cares

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:05 PM
doubt anyone here cares
Everybody hates #1.

LtFinFan66
12-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Everybody hates #1.They are far from #1 so what exactly do you mean:idunno:

BlackMetalNinja
12-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Oooh I thought of some more!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/escamilla06/CowgirlsSuck.jpg

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2007/01/06/romo-large.jpg

Oh wait... that was Seattle, my bad!

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Everybody hates #1.

#1 at what?

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:08 PM
I've got some good ones for you too!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/gr8slayer/DSC00936.jpg

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:10 PM

RockStar36
I've got some good ones for you too!

I've said this before and I'll say it again, that Stanley Cup shouldn't be there. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to know that.

gr8slayer
I've said this before and I'll say it again, that Stanley Cup shouldn't be there. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to know that.
Excuses excuses.

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Excuses excuses.

Uhhh...right.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/gr8slayer/340x-1.jpg

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Uhhh...right.
Buffalo is a city of losers, they'll never win anything..... okay, the university won a MAC title sorry. Anyway, that's not what the thread is about. Let's stay on topic shall we :up:

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 03:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/gr8slayer/340x-1.jpg

Was that picture taken by you? While wearing a Bills jersey? Or had you made the switch yet?

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Buffalo is a city of losers, they'll never win anything..... okay, the university won a MAC title sorry. Anyway, that's not what the thread is about. Let's stay on topic shall we :up:

Listen. Say what you want. But the Stars didn't rightfully win the Cup and EVERYONE besides Gary Bettman will tell you that. Like I said, I wouldn't expect you to know anything about that.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Was that picture taken by you? While wearing a Bills jersey? Or had you made the switch yet?
:lmao: I like the "switch" everyone keeps talking about. There was no "switch" about it, I'm pretty sure I was wearing my Dockery jersey though. And no, sadly I can't take credit for that picture, it is a great picture though, someone had a great camera that day.

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
:lmao: I like the "switch" everyone keeps talking about. There was no "switch" about it, I'm pretty sure I was wearing my Dockery jersey though. And no, sadly I can't take credit for that picture, it is a great picture though, someone had a great camera that day.

http://www.billszone.com/gallery2/d/6557-2/Photo007_77.jpg

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Did you get a discount when you traded it in for a Demarcus Ware jersey?

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Listen. Say what you want. But the Stars didn't rightfully win the Cup and EVERYONE besides Gary Bettman will tell you that. Like I said, I wouldn't expect you to know anything about that.
Listen. Buffalo will always be a loser.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Did you get a discount when you traded it in for a Demarcus Ware jersey?
Traded it in? I still have it! Why would I get rid of it?

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Traded it in? I still have it! Why would I get rid of it?

It's not cool anymore?

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
It's not cool anymore?
That would be stupid. Dockery is still one of my favorite players, I've got a closet full of all kinds of players and teams jerseys and wouldn't dream of getting rid of any of them. Though I have donated jerseys to the Salvation Army in the past once players leave teams.

RockStar36
12-19-2008, 03:26 PM
That would be stupid. Dockery is still one of my favorite players, I've got a closet full of all kinds of players and teams jerseys and wouldn't dream of getting rid of any of them. Though I have donated jerseys to the Salvation Army in the past once players leave teams.

I have so many Bills jerseys that are outdated.

BTW...this thread has completely gone off topic. That was fun.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I have so many Bills jerseys that are outdated.

BTW...this thread has completely gone off topic. That was fun.
I still have a Kelly and Smith jersey. Both have been worn so much that the numbers have all but fallen off of them though, and neither fits anymore since they were bought when I was 10 :lmao:

Seems like I used to have a few more older jerseys at some point.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Not really on topic but...when was the last time Dallas won a playoff game?

Oh yeah, McGahee sent it off in style with Cowboy defenders in his wake!

Did Tony Romo realize it was the last game at the stadium? He played worse than Losman up til the 4th quarter.

mybills
12-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Let's stay on topic shall we :up:
Yes, lets. Good Bye Dallas, don't let the playoff door hit you in the ass on the way out! :bigwave:

gr8slayer
12-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Not really on topic but...when was the last time Dallas won a playoff game?
Oh yeah, McGahee sent it off in style with Cowboy defenders in his wake!
It was actually McClain if you want to get technical.
Did Tony Romo realize it was the last game at the stadium? He played worse than Losman up til the 4th quarter.
Yes he did, apparently his "back problems" were flaring up just before the game. I was trying to figure out what that had to do with three quarters of bad QB play but who knows.
The good thing is I won money off the game last night and if they lose next week I'll win even more because I had them not going to the playoffs. It was a fun game to be at though, lot's of HOFer's and SB champs that I would have probably never gotten to see otherwise. Felt pretty cool to be next to guys like Bob Lilly and Randy White.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Hey Gr8, what are the odds that Wade is axed after the year?

With the amount of money they've spent and the talent they've acquired, you'd have to agree that their on the field performance has been a major disappointment.

And not just this season but his whole tenure.

Dozerdog
12-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Join me as we wave good bye to a legend.

:wave: Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

patmoran2006
12-21-2008, 09:00 AM

With the amount of money they've spent and the talent they've acquired, you'd have to agree that their on the field performance has been a major disappointment.

If next week wasnt the last game I think he'd get axed on MONDAY.

Bill Brasky
12-21-2008, 09:00 AM

yay! let's continue to dwell on our accomplishments from 1993 so we feel slightly less incompetent! hooray!

the funny thing is dallas has more choke jobs on it's resume than buffalo as of late. when's the last time they won a playoff game? simple things like learning how to hold a snap might help you win one. but hey, let's talk up a franchise that is only significant thanks to a greedy owner and espn's texas-sized boner for tony romo - the most over-hyped QB in the last 5 years.

nobody outside of dallas or bristol ct gives a rats ass.

gr8slayer
12-21-2008, 09:03 AM

I'd say the chances are great at this point, especially after Jerry takes a look at what he's invested in a failed product under Phillips. I can see the need for a better HC, but I don't completely blame Phillips.

Before the Rams game our DC (Brian Stewart) was running things, Wade stayed out of his way and he proved incapable of handling play calling duties. Wade decided that he would take charge after the St. Louis game and the defense started playing better than it has played in years.

If you really want to find a scapegoat look no further than Jason Garrett, the play calling on offense has been par with what you'd expect from someone like Steve Fairchild. The Cowboys are a lot of things, but one thing they are not is a freaking power running team, he hasn't quite figured that out yet. He has also forgotten about the deep ball, I understand that they attempted it twice last night, but is it really a good idea to just start suddenly trying it out when your QB has a busted up back?

I've always been under the impression that every coach deserves three full years, Wade won't get that because Jerry and Steven (who by the way runs the show more and more every day) Jones just move too fast. If they bring in a capable replacement I guess I'll have no problem with it, but if they do what I think they are going to do and name Jason Garrett the new head coach I will literally scream.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens, I do know one thing though. Jerry hates losing, and if we really don't make the playoffs (which I almost hope we don't) then there will likely be a lot of people losing their jobs, because there is no excuse not to at least make the playoffs when you have such a talent rich roster.

gr8slayer
12-21-2008, 09:05 AM
yay! let's continue to dwell on our accomplishments from 1993 so we feel slightly less incompetent! hooray!

the funny thing is dallas has more choke jobs on it's resume than buffalo as of late. when's the last time they won a playoff game? simple things like learning how to hold a snap might help you win one. but hey, let's talk up a franchise that is only significant thanks to a greedy owner and espn's texas-sized boner for tony romo - the most over-hyped QB in the last 5 years.

nobody outside of dallas or bristol ct gives a rats ass.
Actually they do, NFL Network mentioned last night that they have the largest fan base in the North American Continent. But that's not the point of the thread, please try to stay on topic, thanks :up:

Oh yeah, and it was 1996 when the Cowboys last won a playoff game, I want to say it was also the last time the Cardinals made the playoffs. Any other questions? :up:

Bill Brasky
12-21-2008, 09:08 AM
my question is how much longer will cowboy fans turn a blind eye to the fact that tony romo is not what he's packaged as.

you don't have to explain piss-poor coordinating to bills fans. we understand it all too well. but there also comes a point when the players, who have practiced the plays and executed them on a weekly basis since august, have to be held accountable as well.

Bill Brasky
12-21-2008, 09:10 AM
[/b]
Actually they do, NFL Network mentioned last night that they have the largest fan base in the North American Continent. But that's not the point of the thread, please try to stay on topic, thanks :up:

Oh yeah, and it was 1996 when the Cowboys last won a playoff game, I want to say it was also the last time the Cardinals made the playoffs. Any other questions? :up:
:rofl: so NFL network did a census report and polled every football fan in the western hemisphere? :rofl: who filed the paperwork? cris collinsworth?

and by the way, arizona won a playoff game in 1998. smart ass. my reference was in regards to your last super bowl victory, not your last significant win.

gr8slayer
12-21-2008, 09:15 AM
my question is how much longer will cowboy fans turn a blind eye to the fact that tony romo is not what he's packaged as.

you don't have to explain piss-poor coordinating to bills fans. we understand it all too well. but there also comes a point when the players, who have practiced the plays and executed them on a weekly basis since august, have to be held accountable as well.
I know that you are generally on top of things but this is one time where I'll have to color you clueless. There is no "obsession" with Tony Romo in Dallas or anywhere else in the greater DFW area. I was at the game last night and all you heard was people booing every time the threw a lame duck or any number of other bad passes. The boos were followed by a lot of "**** you Tony" and "bring in Brooks" comments.

The media has been on his ass all year long about his inability to win a big game, they've been talking about needing to bring in a capable backup (not named Brad Johnson) in case the need arises, etc.... But tell me this, who is available right now that you'd rather have at QB? Then tell me, who can we draft next year that would step right in and replace what Romo does? We're kind of stuck with the guy, not everyone is happy about it, trust me, but that's just how it is. Undrafted Pro Bowl QB's don't just grow on trees.

I think people also tend to forget that he's only in year 2.5 of his tenure as a starter, would I like to see a lot better performances out of him, particularly in big games? You bet your ass, but we could be a lot worse off.

gr8slayer
12-21-2008, 09:18 AM
:rofl: so NFL network did a census report and polled every football fan in the western hemisphere? :rofl: who filed the paperwork? cris collinsworth?

and by the way, arizona won a playoff game in 1998. smart ass. my reference was in regards to your last super bowl victory, not your last significant win.
Collinsworth works for NBC, not NFL Network :up:

Well, the Cowboys aren't alone when it comes to teams that haven't won a Super Bowl in quite some time, in fact they are in great company in that regard seeing as how only a handful of teams have won one since. It's not something that just magically happens every year, for some teams it never happens at all.......

Bill Brasky
12-21-2008, 09:22 AM
I know that you are generally on top of things but this is one time where I'll have to color you clueless. There is no "obsession" with Tony Romo in Dallas or anywhere else in the greater DFW area. I was at the game last night and all you heard was people booing every time the threw a lame duck or any number of other bad passes. The boos were followed by a lot of "**** you Tony" and "bring in Brooks" comments.

The media has been on his ass all year long about his inability to win a big game, they've been talking about needing to bring in a capable backup (not named Brad Johnson) in case the need arises, etc.... But tell me this, who is available right now that you'd rather have at QB? Then tell me, who can we draft next year that would step right in and replace what Romo does? We're kind of stuck with the guy, not everyone is happy about it, trust me, but that's just how it is. Undrafted Pro Bowl QB's don't just grow on trees.

I think people also tend to forget that he's only in year 2.5 of his tenure as a starter, would I like to see a lot better performances out of him, particularly in big games? You bet your ass, but we could be a lot worse off.

hey man i'm not arguing you here, you know your team better than i do. but, after 3 years i'd be assessing my qb's values/disadvantages and make a judgment from there. especially when the qb has a more-than-adequate running game, monster OL, and top 5 WR. you almost have to try to fail. though, i don't think that stretch with brad johnson helped your cause. 300 ypg is great, but not when it attributes to 0 playoff wins in going on 13 years.

sadly, i feel your pain. :sadwalk:

gr8slayer
12-21-2008, 09:30 AM
hey man i'm not arguing you here, you know your team better than i do. but, after 3 years i'd be assessing my qb's values/disadvantages and make a judgment from there. especially when the qb has a more-than-adequate running game, monster OL, and top 5 WR. you almost have to try to fail. though, i don't think that stretch with brad johnson helped your cause. 300 ypg is great, but not when it attributes to 0 playoff wins in going on 13 years.

sadly, i feel your pain. :sadwalk:
Well, like I said though; what QB is available via draft or FA would you rather have at this juncture? Honestly, the QB will always get the blame, but there have been a few big games where Romo played quite well but was let down by the rest of the team, particularly his WR's. It just happens, Romo is either going to figure it out soon and go on to be a legend, or he's going to continue on his bad streak and he and Jessica will be run out of town at some juncture.

Also, the most overrated portion of this team is the running game. It's really not as great as one might think, and a few players on the OL are vastly overrated.

mybills
12-21-2008, 01:37 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/mybills/Romopatch.jpg

gr8slayer
12-21-2008, 01:46 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o198/mybills/Romopatch.jpg
That's actually a pretty good one :lol: