PDA

View Full Version : Did Jason Peters really say this?

Michael82
12-19-2008, 01:12 PM
If so, then he's even more of a selfish piece of **** than I thought..... :ill:

“When you put the film on you’ll recognize me.” Peters said. “When you line up in front of me you’re going to recognize me. Bottom line: That’s what matters — the coaches and players. The fan voting, they only see the bad plays. I’m pretty sure they don’t even watch the tackle position. They just see when you get beat. So that’s what matters, when the players and the coaches vote you in.”

Peters found out about his selection when he got a call from his mother Tuesday afternoon.

“It’s overwhelming,” he said. “It’s not surprising. I work at it. That’s what you play the game for, to get to Hawaii. It’s an honor.”

Peters admitted he felt vindicated by being selected despite missing all of offseason conditioning, training camp and preseason. He reported to the Bills the day before the regular-season opener.

“Of course,” he said. “This is the highest honor you can get individually. That’s what I set out to do every year — to go to the Pro Bowl. They’re not going to vote you in if you don’t play up to your standards.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/526490.html

Michael82
12-19-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm sorry, but I thought that you play the game to get a Super Bowl ring and anything else is a failure? :scratch: And I also like how he calls out the fans by saying that we only see the negative plays and don't even watch the tackle position that much. **** you! We are more intelligent than you give us credit for and did see you start playing a LOT better in the 2nd half of the season. But because you were so bad in the 1st half, we didn't think you should be in the Pro Bowl.

OpIv37
12-19-2008, 01:16 PM
I think he's right though.

He could pancake his guy or open a huge hole in the running game, and at least 85% of the fans don't even see it. But he gets chewed out because the fans do notice when he gives up a sack. Think about the 2nd Miami game. He gave up ONE sack to Porter, but it was in garbage time. For the rest of the game, he completely owned Porter (Porter's other sack came against Chambers when Peters was off the field for some unknown reason). In fact, Porter was so frustrated that he started lining up on the OTHER side of the formation.

But people on this board (and Bills fans in general) were complaining about his performance because all they saw was the one sack, which occurred when the game was practically already over.

ddaryl
I agree he is a quintessential me player..

I wish he played for a SB victory... he is going to want more this year then he wanted last year...

THATHURMANATOR
He is right Mike

Lexwhat
12-19-2008, 01:18 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=167322

OpIv37
12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
And I also like how he calls out the fans by saying that we only see the negative plays and don't even watch the tackle position that much. **** you! We are more intelligent than you give us credit for and did see you start playing a LOT better in the 2nd half of the season. But because you were so bad in the 1st half, we didn't think you should be in the Pro Bowl.

you saw that, I saw that, but in general you're giving fans too much credit. Sometime, you need to talk to fans who don't post on this board every day or have seasons, and you'll find they don't know a whole lot about this kind of thing. Occasionally I'll run into a Bills fan around here, and 90% of the time I realize within 30 seconds that they don't know nearly as much about the team as I do. Not everyone who considers themselves a fan is as obsessed as people like us, and even some of the people who are obsessed just don't understand football.

Michael82
12-19-2008, 01:19 PM
He is right Mike
maybe about the fan part....but come on! Since when is getting into the Pro Bowl what it's all about? Look at all those players who opt out after the season. Look at the players who are in the Super Bowl and they are too busy celebrating the real game to care. Do you think that Michael Strahan cared about the pro bowl last year? It wasn't what he set out to do. He set out to get himself a Super Bowl ring and that's what it really is all about!

Michael82
12-19-2008, 01:21 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=167322
Oops, I didn't realize that it was already posted. I was looking for it, but didn't find it. :doh:

BILLSROCK1212
12-19-2008, 01:21 PM
i support Peters here....1) he is right i feel the same as an athlete, only your competitors can truly judge how good you are and also i believe what he meant when he said each and every year he sets out to go to the pro bowl is that each and every year he tries to do his best to make his team better....if u make it to the pro bowl like peters did but yur team doesnt win the super bowl it means u did your part but your team just couldnt fit the pieces of the puzzle together to win the super bowl

Michael82
12-19-2008, 01:23 PM
i support Peters here....1) he is right i feel the same as an athlete, only your competitors can truly judge how good you are and also i believe what he meant when he said each and every year he sets out to go to the pro bowl is that each and every year he tries to do his best to make his team better....if u make it to the pro bowl like peters did but yur team doesnt win the super bowl it means u did your part but your team just couldnt fit the pieces of the puzzle together to win the super bowl
Sorry, but he didn't do his part. He was too busy thinking about himself and not his team, when he held out for the whole summer and spring. :ill:

Lexwhat
12-19-2008, 01:24 PM
From the sound of it, maybe Peters has already cut ties with the Bills (in his mind) and can't wait to leave...

IMO, if we have the same Staff next offseason (Russ, Jauron, etc.) Peters will never play another game for the Bills. I think he is going to demand a trade.

Lexwhat
12-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Oops, I didn't realize that it was already posted. I was looking for it, but didn't find it. :doh:

It's all good. Did u ever notice the 100s of other garbage threads that people start around here?? :shakeno:

You're not one of them! :up:

Mitchy moo
12-19-2008, 01:34 PM
At least Peters knows what down it is.

BillsWin
12-19-2008, 01:36 PM

He could pancake his guy or open a huge hole in the running game, and at least 85% of the fans don't even see it. But he gets chewed out because the fans do notice when he gives up a sack. Think about the 2nd Miami game. He gave up ONE sack to Porter, but it was in garbage time. For the rest of the game, he completely owned Porter (Porter's other sack came against Chambers when Peters was off the field for some unknown reason). In fact, Porter was so frustrated that he started lining up on the OTHER side of the formation.

But people on this board (and Bills fans in general) were complaining about his performance because all they saw was the one sack, which occurred when the game was practically already over.

actually I saw that. haha

I voted Peters in. I may not like him as a person but he's a hell of a player.

billsfanone
12-19-2008, 01:36 PM
I have no problem with what he said.

jamze132
12-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I agree with what he said, yeah he sounds like a dick who has been disrespected, but he makes valid points.

What I didn't like at all and it came off as very selfish was... That’s what you play the game for, to get to Hawaii. It’s an honor. It is an honor but if you are a team oriented guy, you do not just play to make it to Hawaii, you play to win the Super Bowl. It sounds like he is selfish and he has proven that he is a "me" first type of player with the entire holdout trick he pulled.

But I regress, he is one of the most naturally gifted O-linemen currently in the NFL and I am glad he is on our team. I hope he gets his contract extension as we will probably never be able to find someone as good to replace him.

jamze132
12-19-2008, 01:50 PM
From the sound of it, maybe Peters has already cut ties with the Bills (in his mind) and can't wait to leave...
I didn't get the impression that he wants to leave, I get the impression he wants paid like a top LT in the NFL and he deserves it.

IMO, if we have the same Staff next offseason (Russ, Jauron, etc.) Peters will never play another game for the Bills. I think he is going to demand a trade.
He's not going to demand a trade and he will play all 16 games next season and the season after that as long as he is under contract. but to be completely honest, I think that OBD will give him the extension this offseason.

billsfanone
12-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I consider the position. A QB, RB, or WR is one thing. For an OL, you have to master your own little world to be a success. It's not like they can pad their stats in any way. So for an OL to be "selfish," it's good for the team anyway.

BILLSROCK1212
12-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry, but he didn't do his part. He was too busy thinking about himself and not his team, when he held out for the whole summer and spring. :ill:
if you were in Peters situation wouldnt u try and get more money after the AMAZING season u had before?? call him stupid but i would call that decision smart and the bills decision to just wait for him to come back a bit stupid

trapezeus
12-19-2008, 02:27 PM
peters also was on the record for wanting to play in buffalo in the elements. i think his priorities are set up correctly.

If you work for a crap firm, but you won the trip or great bonus, don't you think you'd have said something similar? And the fact you stayed at the company means something.

There are things to rag on the guy for, but i dont think this is a big deal.

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 02:39 PM
The fan voting, they only see the bad plays. I’m pretty sure they don’t even watch the tackle position. They just see when you get beat. So that’s what matters, when the players and the coaches vote you in.” The guy has a point...

gr8slayer
12-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I thought that you play the game to get a Super Bowl ring and anything else is a failure? :scratch: And I also like how he calls out the fans by saying that we only see the negative plays and don't even watch the tackle position that much. **** you! We are more intelligent than you give us credit for and did see you start playing a LOT better in the 2nd half of the season. But because you were so bad in the 1st half, we didn't think you should be in the Pro Bowl.
Most teams do, just not Ralph Wilson.

LtFinFan66
12-19-2008, 02:42 PM

But people on this board (and Bills fans in general) were complaining about his performance because all they saw was the one sack, which occurred when the game was practically already over.Porter was not frustrated. He switches sides throughout every game

Mahdi
12-19-2008, 04:08 PM
These comments are fine by me.... CLEARLY the Bills arent in the playoffs so for him right now he is happy and honored to be in the pro-bowl.

And it is completely normal for him to say that its why you play the game... because that is one of the main reasons for every single NFL player. Everyone wants to aspire to be the best and be recognized by his peers and one day maybe by history. Winning the Super Bowl is an obvious aspiration as well and every player has it including Peters. Can we quit hanging on every little comment.

Nighthawk
12-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Porter was not frustrated. He switches sides throughout every game

Porter might not have been frustrated and might not have made the call to switch to the other side, but somebody made the decision. You've got to admit Peters owned him that game and played very well.

jimbohastle51
12-19-2008, 05:25 PM

yes he said it, and he is right. 9-10 people that watch football dont stare at the LT position or notice a nice block unless it breaks a TD run or the QB scrambles to there side after a nice block for a TD they only see them give a up sack or trip or something. he is the best LT in the AFC and top 5 in the NFL period. if you watch him workout or have seen his measurables the guys is a beast!!!

Mr. Pink
12-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Me first players in the NFL?

Never!

Marvelous
12-20-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm fine with him goaling the probowl..A superbowl trip is a guaranteed goal of all players...So besides superbowl & winning WHAT ACHIEVEMENT IS LEFT? probowl it is...

billogic99
12-20-2008, 11:37 AM

What are you talking about?? Fans here are only on Peters ass about not showing up for camp, other than that they've done nothing but praise the guy. Sorry, but I completely disagree the fans don't watch what the T do, the fans know exactly what the players on this team do....every position on this team.

Jan Reimers
12-20-2008, 11:45 AM
if you were in Peters situation wouldnt u try and get more money after the AMAZING season u had before??
No, I understand the meaning of a contract.