PDA

View Full Version : This team is poorly coached

Novacane
08-29-2002, 10:10 PM
I am seeing the same mistakes over and over. I hope I am wrong but I think GW is gonna get the Bills off to a bad start and then get canned.

Tatonka
08-29-2002, 10:25 PM
worst part is.. if he gets canned.. he has already changed the face of the team so much to fit the mould of his 46 defense crap, that it would require starting over again to a certain extent.

RedEyE
08-29-2002, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I'm not sold an the 46 D yet either. Lack of some serious agressiveness. I have seen no hard blitzing and the secondary is left out to dry.

shelby
08-29-2002, 11:08 PM
bring me Teddy Cottrell
:D

casdhf
08-29-2002, 11:18 PM
I actually think the team is coached very well.

JefftheBillsfan
08-29-2002, 11:26 PM
i like the 46 defense actually...i don't think our coaching is as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

casdhf
08-29-2002, 11:28 PM
I'm with you, Jeff. I think GW is a good coach. The penalties were stupid ones that have been in every preseason game, not just ours, Neutral Zone infractions especially.

JefftheBillsfan
08-29-2002, 11:30 PM
i think everyone is looking for an excuse....coaches are always an easy target.

colin
08-30-2002, 12:05 AM
You guys are right, the coaching is terrible. Normally I could look past some penalties in preseason, but they are counting the preseason games this year.

WHAT?!? They don't count this year? I sure feel silly for being upset about preseason penalties, especially since they are way up all around the NFL.

lordofgun
08-30-2002, 12:10 AM
I REFUSE to panic until the real games begin!

mchurchfie
08-30-2002, 01:33 AM
The defense is actually starting to look pretty decent as of late. GW is able to run it more to it's potential because of everyone being more experienced this year. I like the aggressiveness of it. the only thing is when you send a corner and a safety in on a blitz you better make sure that you get some form of pressure on the QB or it could go for a long gain or touchdown. Last year Jerry Grey's playcalling was restricted by the personnel. I think that this year we will see more of what it's all about. That being said, if GW doesn't get it done this year then change has to be seriously considered.

northernbillfan
08-30-2002, 01:41 AM
Wasn't able to hear or catch any of the game.

But I'm with log on this one. No panic until the real games start!

The_Philster
08-30-2002, 03:09 AM
I'm with LOG and nbf, not gonna panic yet. Besides, the Bills have barely blitzed at all during the preseason but they will do more of that in the regular season, I'm sure.

don137
08-30-2002, 06:16 AM
I am not in panic mode yet but I have to admit I am a little leary of the running game, OL and DL. I still think they can get the job done but all three areas didn't exactly put everyone at ease with there preseason performances. Teague seemed to be umcomfortable at center.

Novacane
08-30-2002, 06:32 AM
I am not in panic mode yet either. It is very irritating though to see them making the same stupid mistakes over and over. GW has not proven he is a good or bad coach yet IMO. Last year he was not dealt a fair hand and this has only been preseason. However, if this play continues into the regular season than I am going to be screaming for his head! I hope they can correct the penalties and lack of running game in 10 days. Bring on the jets!

Earthquake Enyart
08-30-2002, 07:16 AM
As long as I don't see any more of those pleated shorts, I'll give him a chance.

TedMock
08-30-2002, 08:37 AM
I saw a guy in capri pants the other day. Believe me, you'd choose the pleated shorts anyday. I don't think the team is poorly coached. They've definately made some stupid mental mistakes that need to get corrected fast. They also seem to have an attitude and confidence about them that was missing before and they do play hard, not always smart but hard. Plus, they're still hiding a lot of defensive schemes until the season starts so it's really hard to judge that yet. Now, I am nervous about the DL and the running game because even in the most vanilla of sets you still need to fight it out in the trenches with power in the middle. I'm not overly worried but I'll definately keep an eye on the O&D lines come 9/8.

Rude American
08-30-2002, 09:01 AM
I want his resignation. we suck bigtime. We just lost to the Lions. That sholdn't happen, even in pre-season. The Lions now have the same record as us over the past season, if my math is right.

casdhf
08-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Panic

LABillsFan
08-30-2002, 01:37 PM
Is it panic or warrented cautiousness? I've been reading that the GW is running a basic offense to hide the real plays until the regular season. But Drew's comments after yesterday's game tells me that, basic or not the Bills are having trouble running the ball, and it's happening against poor teams. And if they are saving plays, how do they know that everyone knows their assignment in game conditions or if the plays even work? 1-12 on third down conversions isn't going to get it done either. The Bills will need to keep time of possession on their side this season with a the premier backs they will be facing.

TigerJ
08-30-2002, 05:59 PM
I had doubts about our offensive line coach last year and thought he should have joined Sheppard on the unemployment line. When he was retained I hoped it was just a personnel problem. We upgraded personnel a lot and we still can't run the ball. My doubts are back. I think Ronnie Vinklarek could get his boss fired if the line doesn't pick up it's play. What is it about assistant coaches named Ronnie? On defense I still think it's a personnel issue. The system won't work well without better defensive linemen. I'm still hoping for 9-7 but 7-9 might keep GW's jof safe. If he stays I think he's got to replace Vinklarek and TD needs to focus on defensive line improvement.

HenryRules
08-30-2002, 06:10 PM
I think the personnel Ronnie had to work with this preseason was for the most part worse than the personnel he had last season. For most of the preseason he was working with a rookie RT who showed rookie problems (MW), a RG who hadn't played there for a few years and is inexperienced at the pro game (MS), a center who hadn't played there in about 6 years I believe (TT), a LG that was injured most of the time and then didn't seem to care when he came back (RB - IMO, if you're a pro bowl G, I don't think a line coach does a whole bunch for you) and LT's that were pretty much worse than Fina. Once these guys get into mid-season form, then I think they qualify as upgrades in personnel, but for the preseason, there were way too many unfamilarities I think.

Rebecky
08-31-2002, 11:31 AM
My theory:

TD, realizing he had made a real BLOOPER in hiring GW, realizing the defense was a goner as long as GW is here --

Hired Gillbride and Drew Bledsoe to get a high power, high scoring offense in Buffalo so we could win games in SPITE of the stinking D.

Romes
08-31-2002, 11:44 AM
Rebecky if anything its the otherway around. TD hired Gilbride and brought in Bledsoe to cover up Williams OFFENSIVE ineptitud. The defense is bad because of lack of players, not coaching.

That being said, I'm not ready to critisize GW's coaching until we have played a few real games.

SoCalBillsFan
08-31-2002, 01:56 PM
I'm not a GW fan at all, but I will stick up for his defensive schemes. THe D just needs to learn them. I think he is a very capable defensive coach. It's the offense thing that worries me.

lordofgun
08-31-2002, 01:58 PM
The defense improved nearly every week last year. GW and Gray are fine Defensive coaches.

KG was brought in because the WC offense and Mike Sheppard sucked.

casdhf
08-31-2002, 02:10 PM
I think the first string has improved in every game this preseason

TigerJ
08-31-2002, 04:16 PM
We'll see, Henry Rules. He's our line coach and the team has to live with him at this point. I'll keep quiet for a while, but I'd better see major improvement by midseason. BTW, I do think the pass blocking is better than last year, though there's lots of room to get better.

HenryRules
08-31-2002, 04:18 PM
I agree TJ, we had better see a lot of improvement in the line by midseason.

The_Philster
08-31-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
The defense improved nearly every week last year. GW and Gray are fine Defensive coaches.

KG was brought in because the WC offense and Mike Sheppard sucked.

The WC offense doesn't suck....but Sheppard's use of it sure did.

BillsMan80
08-31-2002, 06:32 PM
Well, at least we are showing signs of life in the Replay Challenge Department.

Novacane
08-31-2002, 10:33 PM
True Billsman. And they has improved getting the play into the huddle on time this year too! Maybe there is hope for GW.
As far as I am concerned the pre-season is history. I am giving GW a clean slate. However.........if the Bills come out and suck the first few games.......................