PDA

View Full Version : Bills LT Peters frustrated with team's silence over contract

LtFinFan66
12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Really Jason??

Bills LT Peters frustrated with team's silence over contract

Associated Press
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Bills starting left tackle Jason Peters (http://www.nfl.com/players/jasonpeters/profile?id=PET150539) will be making his second straight Pro Bowl appearance (http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d80d60467&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true) after being voted in by his peers earlier this week. Whether that translates into a lucrative new contract remains to be seen.

<table style="margin: 10px; width: 20px; background-color: rgb(242, 242, 242); border-collapse: collapse; float: right;"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 10px 10px 0px;">http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/j_peters_081219_IA.jpg</td></tr><tr><td style="padding: 5px 10px; font-size: 11px; color: rgb(153, 153, 153);">Rick Stewart / Getty Images</td></tr><tr><td style="padding: 0px 10px 10px; font-size: 11px; font-weight: bold;">Bills LT Jason Peters is headed to his second straight Pro Bowl.</td></tr></tbody></table> After holding out and missing all of training camp in a bid to renegotiate a five-year deal set to expire after the 2010 season, Peters reported to the Bills the day before their season-opening win against Seattle. At the time, the team told him a new agreement featuring a hefty raise from his $3.25 million base pay would soon be in the works. With two games remaining in the regular season, the fifth-year pro is still waiting.
"No progress," Peters blurted when asked earlier this week if there was anything new on the contract front. "They just gave me an assurance that they were going to get it done. I haven't heard anything since Week 1, since I reported."
Peters said he's becoming frustrated "to a certain extent" as each day of silence passes.
"But all I can do is keep playing and doing what I can do," he said.
The Bills didn't respond to a request for comment.
Peters, Buffalo's lone Pro Bowl starter, became the first Bills offensive tackle to be selected as a starter two consecutive years since Howard Ballard in 1992 and 1993. Unlike last year, when he couldn't go because of a sports hernia, Peters is excited about heading to Honolulu in February.
"It is overwhelming," he said. "This is what you play the game for, to get to Hawaii. It is an honor."
Because of his holdout, Peters and the rest of the offensive line got out of the blocks slowly. That's why many critics question his selection, especially after he was so dominant last season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80d751a2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

HHURRICANE
12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
If the Bills trade Peters than I am officially done with this loser team.

Nighthawk
12-19-2008, 04:31 PM
They can't trade a quality LT...it's too hard to find a good one!

DraftBoy
12-19-2008, 04:44 PM
He was guaranteed a new deal when he reported if they don't come through with one, they will lose all credibility in the eyes of many FA players. You can't make promises like that and then not follow through.

DynaPaul
12-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Screw him. The season isn't even over yet. He can start complaining if he doesn't have a new deal by training camp.

jimbohastle51
12-19-2008, 05:20 PM
they better pay him, the 2 most important players on a football team is your QB and LT. NO team i mean NO team lets a pro bowl young left tackle just walk away.... or trade one for that matter. he wants to be in buffalo. thats what i do get about our front office. it isnt like he is demanding a trade or asking for his release. the guy wants an extension for damn sake!!! and he has made the pro bowl 2 years in a row and is only 25 years old!!!! this guy should be signed and done before the draft, no way we can loose him, and replace him. franchise left tackles are not easily replaced.

Don't Panic
12-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Most head scratching part of that article:

"This is what you play the game for, to get to Hawaii."

Hmmm... I always thought it was to win a Super Bowl. Maybe this is part of the problem.

Ickybaluky
12-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't think they lose any credibility with anyone. Every player has different deals with teams.

However, if the Bills are going to play hardball with a guy, they should at least give themselves some insurance. The biggest problem with the Peters holdout was their fallback position being Kirk Chambers. Then if he gets hurt, they are completely screwed.

It was the same thing with Angelo Crowell. They put him on IR because they are pissed at him, then they have to play Keith Ellison all year. Ellison is a try-hard guy, but if he is starting for you your LB aren't good enough. Worse, if one of the LB get hurt you are looking at playing ST-ers like Corto or Costanzo.

So... If the Bills want to send a message to Peters, they need to build their depth. Sign a veteran OT in FA. Draft a couple OT, including one on day 1. That will let Peters know they are prepared to move on without him, and his leverage goes away.

dplus47
12-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't think they lose any credibility with anyone. Every player has different deals with teams.

However, if the Bills are going to play hardball with a guy, they should at least give themselves some insurance. The biggest problem with the Peters holdout was their fallback position being Kirk Chambers. Then if he gets hurt, they are completely screwed.

It was the same thing with Angelo Crowell. They put him on IR because they are pissed at him, then they have to play Keith Ellison all year. Ellison is a try-hard guy, but if he is starting for you your LB aren't good enough. Worse, if one of the LB get hurt you are looking at playing ST-ers like Corto or Costanzo.

So... If the Bills want to send a message to Peters, they need to build their depth. Sign a veteran OT in FA. Draft a couple OT, including one on day 1. That will let Peters know they are prepared to move on without him, and his leverage goes away.

good post. at times it seems like the bills' decision makers are making emotional decisions rather than rational football decisions. you don't IR somebody because you're pissed at them; it's the whole cutting off your nose to spite your face thing.

personally, i do think such moves might drive some people away, because anybody who talks to crowell or peters might come away with a bad impression of the bills' FO.

of course, you're right in saying that different players do different deals with teams, so they'll always find someone to sign. however, if they keep making decisions that are not thought all the way through, they're not going to have success.

Ickybaluky
12-19-2008, 05:59 PM
of course, you're right in saying that different players do different deals with teams, so they'll always find someone to sign. however, if they keep making decisions that are not thought all the way through, they're not going to have success.

I don't know about that. Granted, players do take notice and probably aren't going to play for a team like the Raiders or Bengals unless the money is silly, but for the most part the negotiations are different for every player.

The Pats have had their share of negotiations where they were accused of playing hardball. Deion Branch and Adam Vinateiri come to mind. However, business is business and the player know that.

Still, given what happened with Peters last year the Bills really only have 3 options:

1) Sign him to an amended contract
2) Deal him to another team and move on
3) Play hardball with him, in which case they need to go out and build some depth at OT to improve their leverage.

OpIv37
12-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I figured this was coming after the Pro Bowl selection, but I'm surprised it came this soon.

Seriously, Jason, at least wait until they announce next year's cap. It's not like you're starving in the meantime.

Tatonka
12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
good post. at times it seems like the bills' decision makers are making emotional decisions rather than rational football decisions. you don't IR somebody because you're pissed at them; it's the whole cutting off your nose to spite your face thing.

personally, i do think such moves might drive some people away, because anybody who talks to crowell or peters might come away with a bad impression of the bills' FO.

so do you think that the way the ty law or lawyer milloy situations went down with New England kept other players from wanting to go there?

TacklingDummy
12-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Trade him the the Bengals for Chad Johnson and their 2nd round pick.

ddaryl
12-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Bills said they would talk to him AFTER this season...

its frustrating to hear him making waves before the season is done

Syderick
12-19-2008, 07:31 PM
He's a pretty good player they'll probably do negotiations this offseason with Jason. They probably want to see how he does all the way to the end before they decide how they want to make a deal with him.

clumping platelets
12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Peters is not deserving of a new contract. In fact, he owes us all a refund

HAMMER
12-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Peters is clearly a "me" guy, he was not guaranteed a new deal as DB states, he was told they would have discussion. He can be an absolute force but has given up several game changing sacks this season. Couple the sacks with his shnitty attitude and I can see it being hard for anyone to want to make him one of the highest paid players in the league. Teams should NEVER lose sight of the fact that football is a team game. Be a team player Jason and I'm pretty sure the Bills will pay you quite well. Personally I am having a hard time not wanting to call the guy a major jerk.

Tiburon1724
12-19-2008, 08:11 PM
He's terrible and his attitude sucks. TRADE HIM.

clumping platelets
12-19-2008, 08:19 PM
The fact that he made the Pro Bowl this season is clear evidence of collusion among players to "bolster" his case for a new deal.

PECKERWOOD
12-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Sign the man longterm, he has worked his ass off for us as an UDFA, he deserves to get PAID. PAY THE MAN!!! FREE PETERS!!!!!

PECKERWOOD
12-19-2008, 11:28 PM
WHOEVER NEGGED ME I DON'T CARE!!!!

PAY THE MAN!!

FREE PETERS!!!!!

Lexwhat
12-20-2008, 02:09 AM
The Pats have had their share of negotiations where they were accused of playing hardball. Deion Branch and Adam Vinateiri come to mind. However, business is business and the player know that.

In all fairness, I don't see any parallel between us and the Pats. You have also had a number of players who took pay cuts (and below-market salaries) to wear the Patriots uniform.

No one has taken a paycut or below-market salary to wear a Bills uniform.

The last time we picked an O-Lineman on Day 1 was 2002. The almighty Mike Williams.

Maybe we just got scared of taking Day 1 O-Linemen after that??? :ill:

I don't know about that. Granted, players do take notice and probably aren't going to play for a team like the Raiders or Bengals unless the money is silly, but for the most part the negotiations are different for every player.

Are we really much different from the Bengals? Or any other losing team, like the Lions for example?

PECKERWOOD
12-20-2008, 02:26 AM
In all fairness, I don't see any parallel between us and the Pats. You have also had a number of players who took pay cuts (and below-market salaries) to wear the Patriots uniform.

No one has taken a paycut or below-market salary to wear a Bills uniform.

The last time we picked an O-Lineman on Day 1 was 2002. The almighty Mike Williams.

Maybe we just got scared of taking Day 1 O-Linemen after that??? :ill:

Are we really much different from the Bengals? Or any other losing team, like the Lions for example?

C'mon we're better then the Lions and Bengals, we haven't dropped that far.

Jan Reimers
12-20-2008, 10:00 AM
He was a disaster for the first several games, and a distraction now. How much good football did we really get from him?

And how he made the Pro Bowl should be a mystery to us all.

Dolfan984
12-20-2008, 01:33 PM
I thought it was a pretty consensus opinion between Bills fans (especially before he made the Pro Bowl) that he was having a pretty lousy year. The Pro Bowl = responsible for way too many players getting overpaid.