PDA

View Full Version : Plane catches fire at Denver Airport

mybills
12-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Thank God nobody was seriously hurt, and that it was a departing flight instead of an arriving flight full of Bills players! :phew:

Dozerdog
12-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Actually, the NFL has a plan in place to re-stock an NFL team if it is involved in some sort of disaster.

We actually might be able to beat Cleveland!

Historian
12-21-2008, 08:38 AM
GM: Mark Weiler
HC: Pat Moran

Pinkerton Security
12-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Actually, the NFL has a plan in place to re-stock an NFL team if it is involved in some sort of disaster.

We actually might be able to beat Cleveland!

if this is for real, I'd love to hear part of the plan.

Dozerdog
12-21-2008, 09:28 AM
'God forbid it should ever be needed' (http://espn.go.com/gen/s/2001/0328/1163463.html)

It's a question that many have thought about, but few have actually asked. It's one of those thoughts that bounces around in your head, yet common sense and decency prevents from becoming audible. It is this: In the event of an air disaster, or some other catastrophic event involving a professional sports team, what would happen? How would a team rebuild? Could it rebuild?

The NFL plan refers to a near disaster as a common accident in which a team loses fewer than 15 players. A disaster occurs when more than 15 players are lost. In the NBA, a disaster occurs in which five or more players die or are dismembered. Similar to the NFL, the NBA plan calls for a disaster draft, in which each team would protect five players and the disaster team then would build a team from the remaining pool of talent.

"It enables the effected franchise to rehab itself to whatever extent is possible under such difficult circumstances," said Mike Broeker, a spokesman for the NBA.

In the NFL, teams suffering a near disaster would be required to play out the season, though they would have priority on all waiver claims. If the team lost a quarterback, it would be permitted to draft a quarterback from a team that has a third quarterback. In a disaster (15 or more lost players), the NFL's commissioner would decide whether or not to continue the team's season. If it were to continue, the near-disaster plan would go into effect. If not, a restocking draft would take place in the offseason. In addition, the team would get the No. 1 pick in the upcoming draft.

Dozerdog
12-21-2008, 09:30 AM
National Basketball Association If a disaster occurs in which five or more players die or are dismembered, the league will hold a Disaster Draft to replace the individuals who were lost. Teams unaffected by the disaster each would be allowed to protect five players.

National Hockey League If an accident occurs resulting in the death or disability of five or more active players, the club would be allowed to restock its roster by buying players from other teams using money from an indemnity insurance policy. Once the disabled club returns to a playing strength of one goalkeeper and 14 players (NHL rosters regularly have 20 active players), the Emergency Rehabilitation Draft can be enacted to finish the re-stocking process. Each club will be able to protect one goalkeeper and 10 position players and the disabled club will draft from the remaining pool of talent. Teams that lost a player in the first phase of the ERP are exempt from losing a player in the draft.

Major League Baseball Major League Baseball declined to release information regarding its contingency plan.

trapezeus
12-21-2008, 01:37 PM
i think it would be too much for the bills to actually be in a crashing plane this season. the season may have crashed and burned, but the football gods wouldn't make the metaphor a reality.

mybills
12-21-2008, 01:41 PM
It's a question that many have thought about, but few have actually asked. It's one of those thoughts that bounces around in your head, yet common sense and decency prevents from becoming audible.

:rofl:
How could I not say anything when it was the first thing I saw on the news this morning and I knew my team went there. :ill:

SabreEleven
12-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Be would be so lucky that everyone on the team would die except Losman and than we would still be stuck with him:ill: