PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson best pick of the 2008 draft!!

bigbub2352
12-21-2008, 06:44 PM
I am not rery eady to call him the next andre reed or moulds, but the kid makes plays every time u get him the ball
He has shown great hands, good game speed and the willingness to catch the ball in the redzone
Turk if your listening get him the ball a little more than that
We could be the solid 3-4 WR we have been looking for with his size speed combo

Dr. Lecter
12-21-2008, 06:46 PM
I would not go that far (I love McKelvin and he made a nice int today).

But I do like Johnson. Very solid so far.

X-Era
12-21-2008, 06:46 PM
I am not rery eady to call him the next andre reed or moulds, but the kid makes plays every time u get him the ball

I like him more than Hardy right now

bigbub2352
12-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I was being a little sarcastic with the title
But u cant deny he is a very good pick in the 7th
I luved him coming out of Kentucky and couldnt beleive he was there when we took him
Kid has a future i think

Dr. Lecter
12-21-2008, 06:51 PM
I was being a little sarcastic with the title
But u cant deny he is a very good pick in the 7th
I luved him coming out of Kentucky and couldnt beleive he was there when we took him
Kid has a future i think

He is just a smart guy out there, especially for a rookie. He makes smart plays (see the kickoff the other week).

I don't think he has a high ceiling, but can be a contributor for this team. he, Evans, Reed and Hardy have the potential to be a good WR corp, especially if the Bills get/develop a real TE.

bigbub2352
12-21-2008, 06:54 PM
He is just a smart guy out there, especially for a rookie. He makes smart plays (see the kickoff the other week).

I don't think he has a high ceiling, but can be a contributor for this team. he, Evans, Reed and Hardy have the potential to be a good WR corp, especially if the Bills get/develop a real TE.
agree 100% i would like to add a vet WR in the offseason to shore it up at the WR position since Jenkins does very little he can go
TE is the key to truly opening up the offense royal can go and we need to go 2nd or 3rd round TE for sure this yead
I would prefer DE then TE this yr in the draft

Nighthawk
12-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Johnson looks like he could be a good one. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Dr. Lecter
12-21-2008, 06:57 PM
agree 1% i would like to add a vet WR in the offseason to shore it up at the WR position since Jenkins does very little he can go
TE is the key to truly opening up the offense royal can go and we need to go 2nd or 3rd round TE for sure this yead
I would prefer DE then TE this yr in the draft

I would add a vet if Hardy will not be ready at the start of the season.

What I don't want is signing a vet to a long term deal with the young guys here or spending a lot of money.

It is unlikely, but bringing in Marvin Harrison for one or two years would be fine. But it is hard to have much as your #5 guy, so they might be stuck with Jenkins.

jimbohastle51
12-21-2008, 07:02 PM
mckelvin has been our best pick in my opinion, besides leading the league in kick return average he has a couple picks (had one today that was taken away because of a stroud holding call) and is really good in man coverage, but steve johnson is a must keep guy!!! if we can groom him all off season no reason why next year he is not our number 2 accross from evans and that will be awesome for reed cause he can stay in the slot and find the holes he is so good at finding.

thenry20
12-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I would not go that far (I love McKelvin and he made a nice int today).

But I do like Johnson. Very solid so far.

He hasn't seen enough playing time for me to even make a preliminary assessment of his skills. But he is looking good--better than Josh as a rookie.

Jaybird
12-21-2008, 07:08 PM
I posted something about Johnson the day we drafted him, i said he would turn out to be a great wr, now he aint there yet, but he has played well in limited action

It is about time I get some respect in this zone!!!!!!!

bigbub2352
12-21-2008, 08:59 PM
I posted something about Johnson the day we drafted him, i said he would turn out to be a great wr, now he aint there yet, but he has played well in limited action

It is about time I get some respect in this zone!!!!!!!
Im with u i am a draft junkey and i watch alot of college ball i luved Johnson coming out and couldnt believe he was there in the 7th

He has a solid looking future

ddaryl
12-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I still wish he got more playing time then he did... 1 catch for a TD is good.... but I need to see more

elltrain22
12-21-2008, 09:41 PM
This kid is really showing me something too!!! Other than McKelvin, he is our best draft pick this year.

bflobarry
12-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Johnson's been doing this since camp. He's what Hardy was supposed to be, except he's got football smarts. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by his upside in the future.

BillsWin
12-21-2008, 09:55 PM
hes scored 2 TDs in 2 weeks...

Mad Bomber
12-21-2008, 10:00 PM
hes scored 2 TDs in 2 weeks...
Not bad for a 7th round pick...

historypete
12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I hope they give him a chance to start next week. It can't hurt to see what he can do, plus it will allow him to build a little more raport with Edwards. We all know what we get with Reed and Parrish, give Johnson a shot he has earned it.

clumping platelets
12-21-2008, 10:56 PM
2001: Cincinnati drafted WR T.J. Houshmanzadeh in the 7th rd

2008: Buffalo drafts WR Stevie Johnson in the 7th rd

I see similarities on the field as well :nod:

SeatownBillsFan21
12-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I like him more than Hardy right now
Agreed havent heard Hardys name since Jax game not good for a high 2nd rd pick

DraftBoy
12-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Should be a good 3 or 4 WR in the future. Not a high enough ceiling to be a top 2 WR though. He'll be a good 3rd down WR though.

If you think he was good at UK or even here you need to watch him when he played JC ball.

jimbohastle51
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Should be a good 3 or 4 WR in the future. Not a high enough ceiling to be a top 2 WR though. He'll be a good 3rd down WR though.

If you think he was good at UK or even here you need to watch him when he played JC ball.

he did completely dominate junior college. honestly he dominated the SEC too though. he will be with us for the long term. with his size and speed and being able to run screens and block he is the type of guy that isnt a #1 but is with your team for 8-10 years, like a bobby engram type can make all the plays just not a show stopper.

Syderick
12-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Agreed havent heard Hardys name since Jax game not good for a high 2nd rd pick

I heard his name against New England for the touchdown.

Owen DeBoard
12-21-2008, 11:49 PM
I do believe that patmoran said during training camp that Steve Johnson was
goin to suprise alot of people around here. Nice prediction pat. :bf1:

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 07:11 AM
he did completely dominate junior college. honestly he dominated the SEC too though. he will be with us for the long term. with his size and speed and being able to run screens and block he is the type of guy that isnt a #1 but is with your team for 8-10 years, like a bobby engram type can make all the plays just not a show stopper.

He led the SEC his senior year in receiving but he was not a player who dominated other teams. His junior year he had 12 total catches for 159 yards, and 1 TD. He is a very good WR but lets not overrate him in any regard.

tampabay25690
12-22-2008, 08:00 AM
JOHNSON is a good pick...
But don't jump the gun and say he is the best pick or even the best 3 picks....
We have no idea on that yeat, and LEODIS will be a stud in this league and he is maturing more every week....He may be the best cover CB the BILLS ever had in the years to come and the guy can return.....HARDY will be fine he just has to adjust to the NFL speed and he needs a QB to throw to him....WR don't catch on that quick in this league....
I think overall the BILLS had a pretty decent draft in 08 just like to see what CHRIS ELLIS can bring.....
JOHNSON is a good 3-5th option in this offense......

jimbohastle51
12-22-2008, 11:06 AM
true and everyone remember leodis had his 3rd pick of the season stripped from him because of a stroud holding call. he is going to be a stud by mid season next year.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-22-2008, 11:47 AM
I disagree with a lot of you saying Stevie Johnson does not have a high ceiling. Please define what do you meaning by high ceiling.

I saw a guy much like Edwards, who does not have an arm like Losman nor has body like Ben nor speed lick Vick but has a brain. Johnson with average WR size and speed, has a football brain. From I can see from him, he's already shown that he knows how to set up defenders, and run PRECISE routes.

Please, I'm not saying he will be a Jerry Rice, but what does Jerry Rice have other WRs do not have? Speed like Evans, quickness like Parrish, or size like Roy Williams?

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
I disagree with a lot of you saying Stevie Johnson does not have a high ceiling. Please define what do you meaning by high ceiling.

I saw a guy much like Edwards, who does not have an arm like Losman nor has body like Ben nor speed lick Vick but has a brain. Johnson with average WR size and speed, has a football brain. From I can see from him, he's already shown that he knows how to set up defenders, and run PRECISE routes.

Please, I'm not saying he will be a Jerry Rice, but what does Jerry Rice have other WRs do not have? Speed like Evans, quickness like Parrish, or size like Roy Williams?

Well aside from the fact that Rice has everything you want in a WR, and was (in my opinion) the smartest WR (if not player) to ever play the game of football, then he has nothing that other WR's dont have. Except for big game ability, ability to be thrown the ball in double or triple coverage and make the catch, was a good leaper, had amazing hand eye coordination, and could sell the fake like nobody at the time could.

Johnson is smart but he's not Rice smart, and his routes are good but they aren't percise but they are advanced for a rookie. But his limited upside is more due to the fact that he's only been a #1 guy twice in his career (year at JUCO, and a year at UK), he's never been one to dominate a game (like Rice did at college), he's doesnt have the leadership intangibles you look for in a game changer. Jerry Rice had a very special blend of ability, heart, smarts, and IT. Johnson without question has the ability, the heart, and the smarts, but does he have "it". I haven't seen it yet, but its still very early.

bigbub2352
12-22-2008, 03:26 PM
If Johnson can develop along with a young QB in Trent his celing is vary hi, u cant always look at physical attributes u have to look at football knowledge and no how
He has 4.5 speed and good size and hands and runs real nice routes, and oh yeah he is a rookie, so guess what the ceiling is hi on him

ddaryl
12-22-2008, 03:29 PM

we call these types Football players

Andre Reed was a nobody from Kutztown... Sometimes you do find a diamond in the rough..

The one thing I liked about Johnsons TD unlike Hardy is he ran the route and put his body into position to make that catch and shield the defender

TigerJ
12-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't know whether or not he'll ever be more than a role player, but he's already better than Sam Aiken. Yes, he's better than James Hardy at the moment too, but I think the jury is still out on whether Hardy can justify his 2nd round selection. I won't argue that Steve Johnson isn't a great 7th round draft selection.

ServoBillieves
12-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Knowing this office and our late round/UFA pickups, even if they do well, you may not see him next year. His stats are better than that of Hardy's too (even though Hardy is the obvious favorite among the FO)

He's one of my favorite players so far, I hope he sticks around so that we have a Lee Evans, Josh Reed, James Hardy, Steve Johnson, Roscoe Parrish group.