PDA

View Full Version : OpIv37's Post-Game review

Dr. Lecter
12-21-2008, 09:56 PM
At this point, I really don't know what to say. The Bills actually looked like a real NFL team against Denver. It was great to watch, but at the same time it's frustrating that the team couldn't play at this level BEFORE eliminating themselves from the playoffs. I just hope this game didn't save Dick Jauron's job, because in a way it's more of the same from the Buffalo Bills. Denver is now 8-7 in a very bad AFCW division. In any other divsion, they would have been eliminated a long time ago (except maybe the NFCW). Jauron thrives on beating bad football teams, and this was simply one more example.

So, it was a great win and it was fun to watch, but it's hard to get too excited when the season has already been squandered.

Link. (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/12/21/opiv37s_postgame_review.php)

thenry20
12-22-2008, 12:28 AM
I very much agree. Two of our recent losses should've NEVER have happened: against the Browns and 49ers. Plus we shouldn't have been swept by the JESTS or fish either.

shelby
12-22-2008, 04:51 AM
-Jabari Greer is a UFA and Fred Jackson is a RFA after this season. As much as I like Greer, we have Youboty, McKelvin and Corner so losing him probably won't be a significant issue. Losing Fred Jackson will hurt.

Very valid point....we need to keep Freddy!

Luisito23
12-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Letting Freddy go would be a HUGE mistake!!!...I really hope we do everything in our power to keep him here for a few more years...

TacklingDummy
12-22-2008, 06:31 AM
At this point, I really don't know what to say. The Bills actually looked like a real NFL team against Denver.

Real teams don't give up 532 yards.

We can thank Cutler with all his over throws for the win.

zone
12-22-2008, 06:41 AM
Nice review Op and I agree for the most part, although I think McGee is pretty good in man coverage. Johnson is definitely looking like the real deal.

mybills
12-22-2008, 07:02 AM
I was looking forward to reading your report, Op, because I didn't get to see the game. But in the morning I watched last week's game against the Jets, but only because the Bills played tough in that game, and I wanted to see if they were the polar opposite this week. From what I'm reading here, they weren't.

-Corey McIntyre is useless
As he was last week.
-Lynch is the best player on this team, but he missed some blocks in the passing game today. He gets an incomplete for running since he was injured, but he did make some great plays before going out.
He's injured? What are his chances of playing next week?
-Poz got eaten alive in the run game today, and also had some ineffective blitzes. The guy simply isn't a difference-maker.
I noticed that was happening last week, and I remember telling my son that I missed London Fletcher..right before Poz intercepted the ball..he must've heard me. lol.
they threw the ball to Reed while Evans blocked. This simply defies all logic- Reed is one of the best blocking WR's in the NFL, whereas Evans is faster and has more moves than Reed.
I'm guessing because Evans is usually 5 thousand man covered because there's nobody else threatening the opponent, so they had to mess with their head.
-Jabari Greer is a UFA and Fred Jackson is a RFA after this season. As much as I like Greer, we have Youboty, McKelvin and Corner so losing him probably won't be a significant issue. Losing Fred Jackson will hurt.
:bf1: 100% completely agree.
-If the Bills beat NE next week, NE probably won't make the playoffs. It's a tall order, but at least it would take some of the bite out of this extremely disappointing season.

-The officiating today was terrible. I saw several blatant holds that weren't called. The hold that was called against Stroud to negate McKelvin's INT was weak, and on the very next play the Denver WR should have been ruled out of bounds. The zebras were trying to give it to Denver, but fortunately Buffalo came to play.

Unfortunately, the Bills could play their hearts out and the refs would still hand the game to NE. :ill:

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 07:16 AM
I could Jackson getting big money in this day and age where most teams are going to a two back set. I hope we don't just tender him but offer him a multi-year deal. However I also anticipate somebody making him a nice offer if he gets tendered like a SF, BAL, GB, or any number of teams who could use an upgrade at the #2 RB slot.

mysticsoto
12-22-2008, 07:42 AM
-I'm glad Fewell has gotten over his fear of blitzes, but when the blitzes don't get there, it's a completion EVERY time. Our DB's are not good at playing man coverage.

I don't know, Op. This is probably the only part I don't necessarily agree with. Yeah, there were a decent amt of completions. However, considering that the Dline (minus Stroud) was pretty much ineffective at providing pressure, I'd say our DBs did pretty well. Denney was horrible. He got one pass batted down, but other than that, he was completely useless. To me it was amazing we won the game considering that the Dline was not able to apply any pressure at all. Stroud is getting no help whatsoever, and even if we draft a DE in the 1st rd, they are very unlikely to contribute quickly. We get Schobel back next year, but even so, the FO needs to look at FA to upgrade the other DE and even DT spot. I keep repeating myself, but we will never reach the playoffs with our cover 2 style unless the Dline can actually do what it is supposed to be doing!!!

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't know, Op. This is probably the only part I don't necessarily agree with. Yeah, there were a decent amt of completions. However, considering that the Dline (minus Stroud) was pretty much ineffective at providing pressure, I'd say our DBs did pretty well. Denney was horrible. He got one pass batted down, but other than that, he was completely useless. To me it was amazing we won the game considering that the Dline was not able to apply any pressure at all. Stroud is getting no help whatsoever, and even if we draft a DE in the 1st rd, they are very unlikely to contribute quickly. We get Schobel back next year, but even so, the FO needs to look at FA to upgrade the other DE and even DT spot. I keep repeating myself, but we will never reach the playoffs with our cover 2 style unless the Dline can actually do what it is supposed to be doing!!!

I'm specifically talking about the blitz plays. Go back and watch them. On most of them, the DB's are in man because there simply aren't enough guys on the field to play zone AND blitz. When the blitz didn't get to Cutler, he just heaved the ball up and the receiver caught it without fail. none of our DB's could make plays on the ball (with the exception of McGee, who made a veteran play to swat a pass down with his back turned).

DraftBoy
12-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Ive said it for a few months now if guys want to switch to a 3-4 or 4-3 base defense then we need to draft all new DB's. Keep McKelvin and get rid of the rest.

mysticsoto
12-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm specifically talking about the blitz plays. Go back and watch them. On most of them, the DB's are in man because there simply aren't enough guys on the field to play zone AND blitz. When the blitz didn't get to Cutler, he just heaved the ball up and the receiver caught it without fail. none of our DB's could make plays on the ball (with the exception of McGee, who made a veteran play to swat a pass down with his back turned).

I don't know, I thought Corner's play at the end of the game was pretty good also. But the whole point of a cover 2 is that the DBs aren't supposed to be blitzing. The Dline should hurry the QB and shouldn't need help. Forcing the DBs and LBs to blitz changes the cover 2 system and it's not what they regularly practice. Our DBs are kinda small for man to man coverage. They excel at speed however which is what we supposedly want for cover 2. You can't blame them for not being able to play a style that they are not geared for. They were brought in with the intention of playing cover 2. But if you give a QB all day, any DB is going to eventually fail to defense the pass and the QB will pick them apart. Especially since cover 2 has weaknesses that are well known - the Dline is supposed to rush the QB so he doesn't get a chance to pop a ball in an open zone. If they can't do that, and the passes are constantly completed, I'm not going to blame the DBs for that...

patmoran2006
12-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I disagree about Denney, I think he has been the better DE (compared to Kelsay) by a MILE.

The FIRST personnel move I hope we make this Off season is cutting Kelsay. he SUCKS ASS.

Denney is servicable, is a good #3 DE and is a lot cheaper. Kelsay is a BUM

OpIv37
12-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't know, I thought Corner's play at the end of the game was pretty good also. But the whole point of a cover 2 is that the DBs aren't supposed to be blitzing. The Dline should hurry the QB and shouldn't need help. Forcing the DBs and LBs to blitz changes the cover 2 system and it's not what they regularly practice. Our DBs are kinda small for man to man coverage. They excel at speed however which is what we supposedly want for cover 2. You can't blame them for not being able to play a style that they are not geared for. They were brought in with the intention of playing cover 2. But if you give a QB all day, any DB is going to eventually fail to defense the pass and the QB will pick them apart. Especially since cover 2 has weaknesses that are well known - the Dline is supposed to rush the QB so he doesn't get a chance to pop a ball in an open zone. If they can't do that, and the passes are constantly completed, I'm not going to blame the DBs for that...

That's one of the biggest problems on our D though. Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, arguably K Williams, Poz, Ellison, all of our DB's- pretty much EVERYONE on our D except Stroud is undersized for their position. Sometimes you'll find an undersized guy who's a freakish athlete like Fletcher, or you can get away with a couple of undersized guys on a D if the D as a unit is solid, but the Bills are trying to do too much with too little (literally, in this case).

mysticsoto
12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I disagree about Denney, I think he has been the better DE (compared to Kelsay) by a MILE.

The FIRST personnel move I hope we make this Off season is cutting Kelsay. he SUCKS ASS.

Denney is servicable, is a good #3 DE and is a lot cheaper. Kelsay is a BUM

Denney is better than Kelsay, but still leaves alot to be desired. How many sacks does he have? How well did he stop the run yesterday? He was a liability yesterday and never gets to the QB. So, yes, he's better than Kelsay, and cheaper, but still low quality as far as DEs go. I'm hoping Ellis steps it up next year or a FA acquisition to play alongside Schobel. And I'm hoping we draft a DE in the 1st rd and that we get one that can adapt and start playing immediately. I think we are that desperate that we should do what we did with CBs last year, get more than one and hope atleast one pans out at the position!

mysticsoto
12-22-2008, 11:58 AM
That's one of the biggest problems on our D though. Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, arguably K Williams, Poz, Ellison, all of our DB's- pretty much EVERYONE on our D except Stroud is undersized for their position. Sometimes you'll find an undersized guy who's a freakish athlete like Fletcher, or you can get away with a couple of undersized guys on a D if the D as a unit is solid, but the Bills are trying to do too much with too little (literally, in this case).

Well, you have to make a tradeoff sometimes. I would have rathered DRC instead of McKelvin in the draft, but McKelvin has played okay so far and has brought a good return option to free McGee. You make tradeoffs sometimes and they've gone for speedier DBs. McGee, Greer, Corner, McKelvin are all fast. Youboty is not straight line fast, but he was playing football fast before getting hurt. I myself would like to see a little less speed and a little more play ability from our Dline. It's not always straight line speed that gets you to the qb, sometimes it's reaction speed, spin moves, swim moves, etc, that give you that ability...