• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Jerry Sullivan: Edwards' play outweighs all other considerations

All right, so the Bills love their head coach. If we're to believe the players, they rallied around the embattled Dick Jauron on Sunday, coming from behind for an emotional, 30-23 victory that prevented an ordinary Broncos team from clinching a playoff spot. The Bills were forced to celebrate in Denver because of the weather back home. Too bad. I'm sure there were lots of giddy Buffalo fans who were ready to brave the elements and rush to the airport to greet the latest Jauron team to make its heroic run to 7-8.
    Sorry, but I don't care if they love Jauron. It doesn't matter if Trent Edwards thinks Jauron is the best boss he ever had, or that he loves him to death. What really matters, in the big picture, is that Edwards played that way.
    This was a big win, not because it might have helped Jauron, or because it gives the Bills a chance to finish .500 for the first time in four years. It was significant because Edwards got back on his feet and played like the quarterback we saw in the first six games of the season.
    After that dreadful, depressing run of seven losses in eight games, fans were desperate for an uplifting sign, for any positive development to take into next season. Edwards was the obvious candidate.
    It was Edwards' clutch play, after all, that had everyone imagining big things for this Bills team. We got ahead of ourselves. We allowed a few comeback wins to obscure major shortcomings in personnel and coaching. Because if you have the quarterback in the NFL, you have hope.
    more....

• jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: Jerry Sullivan: Edwards' play outweighs all other considerations

It would be nice if Trent can play good enough to win next week at home. Hopefully our defense has a better showing next week. Hopefully we don't practice in the ****ing field house like a bunch of pussies.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

Jimbo had a few tough seasons for the Bills early on but he got better as did the team around him. Edwards has the arm / head and can take a shot, we have our man.

Comment

• Buckets
        • Jun 2003

Yesterdays win makes the past few losses even more frustrating. Beat the Broncos but loose to Cleveland and the 49 ers???

Comment

• mybills
          81 st zoner
          • Jul 2002

Edwards is hot & cold just like every QB the Bills have ever had.
          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Sorry but you can't just overlook his brutal 1st Q and say all is forgiven. Some Bills fans are so desperate for the next Jim Kelly that even the tiniest glimmer will make them stop being objective.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

The line playing like crap early / not having Peters in there could have alot to do with that DB.

Comment

• zone
                No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Buckets
                Yesterdays win makes the past few losses even more frustrating. Beat the Broncos but loose to Cleveland and the 49 ers???
                The loss to Cleveland Trent put us in a position to win the game. He played injured for one half against San Fran.

Nothing makes up for the loses, but when the playoffs our out you need to take things away from the game.

Every QB can struggle over the course of a game, it's the ones that can brush it off and put their team in a position to win the game that are special.

Jim Kelly did not play perfect games week in a week out.
                www.blzbus.com

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
                  The line playing like crap early / not having Peters in there could have alot to do with that DB.

His line played like crap quite a bit early in the year too Skoob.When do we stop making excuses for this QB and hold him accountable? Year 4, 5 or 6? He played a terrible 1st Q, and a great 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Its ok to criticize a guy when he plays poorly. Its not going to hurt his feelings, I promise.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The King
                    Without me it's just Awe so
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mybills
                    Edwards is hot & cold just like every QB the Bills have ever had.
                    his cold is JP's heat wave.
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                      Sorry but you can't just overlook his brutal 1st Q and say all is forgiven. Some Bills fans are so desperate for the next Jim Kelly that even the tiniest glimmer will make them stop being objective.
                      The reverse is true as well... who can come in and play better day one?

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

I'm pleased with the win but Sully is spot on with his article, IMO.

Shanahan coached like a complete tard from the 2nd quarter on, so lets not get blinded by what happened out there.

I have lots of hope...for the next GM & Coach. There is talent here but it's being misused by the current staff.

Where was all this offensive genius in the first 14 weeks ? The D made some key plays but gave up 532 yards (and we still won ?).
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mybills
                          81 st zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
                          his cold is JP's heat wave.
                          Actually, his cold is Bledsoe statue-esque.
                          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• The King
                            Without me it's just Awe so
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mybills
                            Actually, his cold is Bledsoe statue-esque.
                            Which is still better than anything Losman ever did in Buffalo. I still think the switch to an un-tested JP was a huge mistake for this franchise.
                            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                            It was all
                            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

You watch, Trent's a bust too. They don't know how to pick a great QB. Just average ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X